Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Blade Symphony] Sword fighting cyberpunk style.

RoeRoe Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Games and Technology

phalanx_duel.jpg

What is Blade Symphony? Blade Symphony is a sword dueling game inspired by Jedi Outcast's wildly popular dueling mode.

The game is still in beta, but you can buy it on steam for a reduced price of $15 and play before everyone else. The game has a ton of swords, each with their own personal set of rules such as:
hitting for more when stabbing, some slashing, some actually block, while others deflect.

characterselect.png

The fighters also have different fighting perks, such as distance closing, enhanced defenses, and what can be described as break dance sword fighting.

There are also 3 fighting stances, and an air combat move and every character has their own style of fighting in each stance.

character_phalanx1.pngcharacter_judgement1.pngcharacter_ryoku1.png

There is even a ladder system that keeps track of your matches. Winning will earn you points to unlock new blades and skins.

URL here: blade-symphony.com/
roesigresized.jpg
What I'm playing 9/7. Funny 5/13 3DS code: 1993-6869-2185
Roe on

• RoeRoe Registered User regular
    I really think a lot of people will like this game if they tried it.
    roesigresized.jpg
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This looks neat. How do you control the bladework? Does it plays more like Chivalry or a 3D fighting game?
    Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG hence nothing remains except for our regretsRegistered User regular
    yeah I'd like to know more about how it controls. It kinda reminds me of dark souls pvp just from the trailer, can anyone comment?
    2T0N0a3.png
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Bushido Blade 20XX?!

• KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Registered User regular
    Its a combo/directional swing system, so similar to chivalry and even mount and blade. Its obviously a much more fast paced game though, and the team took a lot of inspiration from different games. Its actually quite a lot of fun because of the fact that the fighting styles can be mixed up allowing you to sort of figure out your own particular martial form. I'm a big fan of breakdancing psycho monkey (i actually shout that before I attack), which actually has worked for me about 50% of the time. Otherwise, I try to gauge my opponent before diving into a combo. Hope that helps :D
    I hunt monsters. With weapons. Made of monsters.
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG hence nothing remains except for our regretsRegistered User regular
    Hows the online population? Is it easy to find fights, are people organizing at all at this point?

Also, what if any single player stuff is there? Like bots or practice missions
    2T0N0a3.png
    edited May 2013
    Sounds cool. How many characters do they plan to ship the game with? Fighting games need a respectable roster.
    Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    4 I believe, there is a female character they are adding soon. The roster is basically the sword styles combined with different swords, this isn't a traditional fighting game.
    roesigresized.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Well, I'm sold. I'll give it a look in a week when my new hardware arrives. Hopefully people are still bad at this game by then so I can ladder on (mostly) even footing.
    Grey Paladin on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Registered User regular
    Fencer + rapier = poop
    Fencer + scimitar = lol multi hit for half your hp

Game is fun guys. You should play it.
    apparently there were invites that people who preordered could send out I think? If anyone still has one they don't need I wouldn't mind trying it out
    2T0N0a3.png
    apparently there were invites that people who preordered could send out I think? If anyone still has one they don't need I wouldn't mind trying it out

Not at my PC till tomorrow but add albino bunny on steam and if they've flicked me a guest pass you'll be first on the list.
    nevermind i just bought it instead

15 bucks is worth a gamble on a thing that looks this cool
    2T0N0a3.png
    nevermind i just bought it instead

15 bucks is worth a gamble on a thing that looks this cool
    Remember rappers can't multi hit and are therefore poop.
    judgments heavy attacks are insane
    2T0N0a3.png
  • malkothmalkoth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    im having fun with it so far, still not sure on the mechanics going on though. i always get owned by the monkey dude, although i like his style. tried him and phalanx, guess i should check out judgements move set next

*edit* and this just answered everything http://www.blade-symphony.com/guide/
    malkoth on
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel because those who mind dont matter, and those who matter dont mind." - Dr. Seuss
    so far i like judgment the most

i don't see a lot of phalanx users and naruto is a pain in the ass with his light attacks
    2T0N0a3.png
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Shitwizards CUNTINGFUCKSHITASSRegistered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I just want a proper Bushido Blade sequel. :(

Have you heard of Clang? It's not really a Bushido Blade sequel, but it sounds interesting.
    VMkxq9E.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    That's some wii type stuff with the motion control. Although admittedly the razer hydra is far more accurate than the Wii controllers.
    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
    so far i like judgment the most

i don't see a lot of phalanx users and naruto is a pain in the ass with his light attacks

Phalanx is man mode.

Just get that med string in with them against the wall and melt their health.

Ryouka or whatever the monkey is called seems to be played mostly by people who can't do anything other than spam light stance attacks so just learn the timings and side step. If you're using a katana don't block him because he can more or less keep you there forever.
    ryoku light attacks just seem too long and with a too big range

i get that the devs want to make him a cool 'breakdance' class but giving him a super long combo isn't the way to do it.

plus, aren't heavy attacks supposed to break through lighter ones? the amount of times i'll hit someone, nothing happens, and then they start their light attack chain on me is crazy
    2T0N0a3.png
    Attacks such as medium vs light, also depends on the fighter I think. I've seen knights break through everything including other knights with medium attack.
    roesigresized.jpg
    Higher stance knocks the opponent off balance.

If you're attack wasn't going to connect it wont do anything and there's nothing stopping them stepping in and light stabbing your face if you treat it like a free combo.
    edited May 2013
    After playing for a couple days, Ive got everything down except playing Ryoku. Knight does a ton of damage, its also harder to master, if not a little Overpowered. Ive been getting most of my kills with knights, and bought a nice looking Katana.

The thing that throws me off a lot, is how precious a good ping is. If you have a ping in the 100s your attacks wont meet, and your dodging becomes sluggish.
    Roe on
    roesigresized.jpg
    i've been getting a lot better at this. Currently rank 463, can beat most of the people i go up against. Ryoku is less of a pain to fight now. I still need to learn good uses for heavy attacks and how to grab better.
    2T0N0a3.png