Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Wacom Bamboo tablet driver issues. (Resolved)

Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi folks, I'm not sure if anyone will actually be able to help with this but I figure it doesn't hurt to ask anyway.

I recently purchased a Wacom Bamboo Pen+Touch graphics tablet, so that I can use it to make digital arts without resorting to using a mouse or trackpad.
However, everytime I attempt to install the drivers for the device (either from the CD in the box or direct from Wacom's website) I run into trouble:
-The process begins fine, I can run the program and the drivers will begin installing.
-Then at ~25% completion I'll get an error pop-up saying 'BambooSetup.exe is not responding.' But the progress bar will keep ticking up.
-Once the bar hits ~50% it stops progressing entirely and does not move at all no matter how long I leave it for.

Obviously this is very annoying as it means I can't use the tablet for anything other than an expensive mouse.
I'm running windows Vista and the computer seems to have no trouble detecting the tablet itself when it's plugged in.

So, does anyone have any experience with Wacom tablets, or drivers?
Or have you heard of similar problems to this one before?
I'm rather stumped and it's quite infuriating.

Thanks in advance
LetharCombo_zpsbd0f5853.gif?t=13486907462wT1Q.gif

Halos Nach Tariff on

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Have you tried running the .exe as an administrator? Maybe setting it in a compatibility mode will work?

Also, do a full shut down and then turn the computer back on. There may be a conflict. If the process times out, check the task manager to make sure it's really gone before you try again.

"The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Registered User regular
    The task manager suggests the process is still running, but I left it ticking away for a good couple of hours last night and it didn't move at all so I have a suspicion that may be an exaggeration.

Fortunately I have managed to find a work-around by using one of the older drivers from the Wacom site which seems to have downloaded properly and is working fine.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster Registered User regular
    Wacom has fantastic customer service over the phone. I've never heard of anyone having this problem, but I'm sure that they have.
    tostadas.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Registered User regular
    I've fiddled with it a bit and everything seems to be working fine for now with this older driver.

It's got pressure sensitivity working, the tablet detects the pen properly, I've got the programs which set the button configuration etc.
    Only thing I'm missing are the various apps which come with it but that's no big loss from what I can tell.

Will certainly remember to ring Wacom up if it starts going wrong again but everything looks to be working currently, so thanks for your help folks, problem solved I guess.

Cheers.