Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

The Vimeo Thread (YouTube Can Come Too)

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    you know, if regular Law & Order were still around I would bet they'd have an episode within six months about a character based on that guy getting killed with a 3D printed gun
  • MrDapperMrDapper Two Sides of A Coin Registered User regular
    you know, if regular Law & Order were still around I would bet they'd have an episode within six months about a character based on that guy getting killed with a 3D printed gun

Right after "The Brony Murder" episode.
    iExidXCdtAXFB.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

Right after "The Brony Murder" episode.

Camera pulls out to show the DA and the assistant DAs sitting on an old leather couch, sharing a bucket of popcorn and watching MLP.

Executive Producer
    Dick Wolf
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What an idiot. At least he's being public about it though, I'd rather that to somebody developing a 3d printed gun in secret.

Plus if someone wants a gun badly enough to buy an $8000 3d printer, they can probably get their hands on a better, cheaper gun more easily. The biggest problem is being able to get them past metal detectors, that's worrying.
    Flay on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Shorty wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    It's not like lathes exist at 1/10 the cost or anything

people with ten grand to spend on a 3d printer and the know-how that is required to download the plans and click a button are far more common than people with a thousand to spend on a metal lathe who also have the know-how that is required to build a functioning firearm

and that's if we accept that the one and only piece of specialized equipment you need to build a firearm is a lathe, which I am skeptical of

A basically functional gun is a smooth barrel with technology equivalent to a pez dispenser at one end. Lathes require about the same skill to master as Microsoft Excel, and only take a while to learn because they can make all sorts of shapes - if you're only trying to make 1 or 2, you can definitely learn how in a week or less.

Really, the hardest part of building a gun is making a barrel of the same caliber as the ammunition, which is the real limiting factor in homemade weapons. Look up pipe gun on youtube. As long as you have a pipe, you have a gun; the rest is just manufacturing quality, and the quality of the 3d printer gun is actually pretty crappy. In fact, the machine has to be modded just to make the correct smooth barrel, which requires understanding of how to manipulate 3d printer settings.

The reason people aren't walking around with pipe guns is actually the same reason people won't be walking around with 3D printer guns: they can buy quality manufactured guns for way cheaper.

Also, 3D printer guns do have an obligate metal component: the actual bullet.
    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    I'm pretty sure that is the exact plot of a 80's cyberpunk novel.
    iExidXCdtAXFB.jpg
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

hello new favourite video

how are you
    images.jpg
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Ymir owns. He fucking owns!Registered User regular

what the evershitting FUCK
  • VeretasVeretas Registered User regular
    oh cmon Tdot, like that's the most baffling thing you've ever seen.
  • ThatDudeOverThereThatDudeOverThere Ymir owns. He fucking owns!Registered User regular
    well, no, it isn't, but still
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Kinda laughed at this. I think it was the VA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xGekki_09Ho
    0WBv0.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular

what the evershitting FUCK

It one of those high art pieces
    A.jpg
    The yogscast guys are doing a 'Top Gear'-esque survival challenge

http://youtu.be/EfTlbB6JCD8

It lacks Jessica by the Allman Brothers
    A.jpg
    Big deal they have had plastic pistols for years
    It's just they are mad it's outside of the world of spies
    A.jpg
  • LegbaLegba Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    Plus if someone wants a gun badly enough to buy an $8000 3d printer, they can probably get their hands on a better, cheaper gun more easily.

gonna stop you right there

because for an individual buying an $8,000 printer is more expensive than a gun

but for a drug operation/organized crime/serial killer, 8000 bucks is a pretty low overhead for an infinite supply of easily destroyed, single use, untraceable guns.

Plus, that 3D printer cost $8,000. The Makerbot will only set you back $2,000.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 And when she knooooows, what she wants, from her ty-y-ype Registered User regular
    I can 3D print myself some body armour, right
    8612744388_aee11d1412.jpg
  • Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Legba wrote: »
    Plus if someone wants a gun badly enough to buy an $8000 3d printer, they can probably get their hands on a better, cheaper gun more easily.

but for a drug operation/organized crime/serial killer, 8000 bucks is a pretty low overhead for an infinite supply of easily destroyed, single use, untraceable guns.

Plus, that 3D printer cost $8,000. The Makerbot will only set you back $2,000.

You can get 3D printer kits for under $600, even less if you only buy the non-printed parts.
    I can 3D print myself some body armour, right

You can
    Just print out the basic outside of the armour look you want and weave together phone books it will stop high powered rounds!
    A.jpg
    edited May 2013

Oh geez, I didn't think of that at all.

What's the difference between $600 3D printer and a $8000 one? Just size?
    Flay on
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Erm nvm
    Peas on
    darknessblade_zps7e2b661b.png
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Erm guys
    *snip*

You might wanna remove the link, we aren't allowed to make direct links to KS anymore.

Also:

http://youtu.be/BF0mnns-Bsk

Great, now I feel kinda bad for looking down on people who make vocaloid songs.
    Hisao? What's the word for when it feels in your heart that everything in the world is alright?

# paweaboo Talk about the animu's with friendly people on SLASHnet.
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    CAN I USE A 3D PRINTER

TO PRINT A 3D PRINTER?
  • LalaboxLalabox Who even writes this rubbish? Registered User regular
    I thought that even at $8,000 you weren't getting an amazing 3d printer.
    . zsiSs.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    CAN I USE A 3D PRINTER

TO PRINT A 3D PRINTER?

3D PRINTERS ALL THE WAY DOWN
    Hisao? What's the word for when it feels in your heart that everything in the world is alright?

# paweaboo Talk about the animu's with friendly people on SLASHnet.
    Blake T wrote: »
    CAN I USE A 3D PRINTER

TO PRINT A 3D PRINTER?

Almost
  • turtleantturtleant Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

Ok so, I legit rolled a tear while listening to this. Just the combination of that song and old game nostalgia hit me really hard.

There's a download link in the description on youtube btw.
    steammini.php?id=turtleant&pngimg=tf2&tborder=0

Actually a pretty big one

You can only print certain things with a $600 one of a certain size/dimension, where as an eight thousand dollar one will probably let you replicate whatever you damn well please.
    0WBv0.png
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    360: Sir Stiggleton PSN: Stiggy_PA GFWL: RacerStig Steam: TheStig
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »

Actually a pretty big one

You can only print certain things with a $600 one of a certain size/dimension, where as an eight thousand dollar one will probably let you replicate whatever you damn well please.

Not quite. You can still only print things out of one kind of material.

Honestly the differences between cheap 3D printers and expensive 3D printers are the same as normal printers

Maximum print size, quality, speed
    Poor Leonard Nemoy in his positively ancient, embarrassingly feature light, 150,000 dollar CLS 550.
    edited May 2013
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGFz9gt0-Fc

I'm just going to consider Rowan an unofficial Python member.
    dammit, now I'm watching monty python clips.

so much for this afternoon