Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[PA Comic] Monday, May 6, 2013 - The Young

• VoranthVoranth Get the humanoid! Registered User regular
    I'm no expert, but I work for an after school program (ages 6-12) and plenty of the kids seem to be in-tune with things like Slenderman, and even the news. Hell, I had elementary kids educating me on the Boston bombings and going rather in depth regarding the police shootout. Some of the kids can't wait for the next season of Walking Dead. Everyone's always talking about the latest youtube video, or some violent sports accident that happened the other day (17 year old punched out and killed a referee over a yellow card or something?). Kids are experiencing or hearing about violent and scary stuff all the time.

Part of growing up is seeing and hearing tons of fucked up shit I think. And personally I don't think age is a good deciding factor for media, a classroom full of 12 year olds can have an incredibly diverse range of mental development. It's up to the parents to decide if the kid is ready for that sort of thing, and usually they are! I think children these days know and experience a lot more than they're letting on as well, especially with the prevalence of internet and personal devices like iPods and tablets where the kids can go out and experience these things without the aid of parents or even friends.

Anyway. Good comic!
    camo_sig2.png
  • KamarKamar Antivillain In The BasementRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    GSM wrote: »
    Slenderman is pretty tame, compared to your standard american horror characters. He's no Pinhead, Jason, or Freddy. He's more dangerous to recording equipment than people.

Slenderman feels more...inevitable, unavoidable, inescapable, to my mind. He's the ultimate paranoia inducer. And awareness and paranoia in some ways make him worse, instead of acting as a bit of a defense. Also, the presentation methods make him feel a bit more plausible and real, even if you know he's not.

edit: After marathoning Marble Hornets, I couldn't even look into a treeline in broad daylight with friends for a while. Jason did nothing, Freddy I was over in a day, never seen Hellraiser, nut Slenderman ruined me for weeks and now I'm thinking of him again and feeling a bit creeped out.
    Kamar on
  • HardtargetHardtarget Registered User regular
    Best part of this comic is what nobody has even posted about yet:
    It says MR GABE on the whiteboard
    gave me a good chuckle
    camo_sig2.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Also it appears that the school has walls made out of coffee-stained paper.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • KageraKagera Registered User regular
    Slenderman isn't scary.

Michael Myers. Michael Myers was fucking scary. Unfeeling unreasoning unstoppable.

Michael Myers beats Slenderman because let's face it he is Slenderman before Slenderman.
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
    XBL: Fanatical One AIM: itskagera
  • Funky StrongFunky Strong Registered User regular
    I don't see the big deal with Slenderman. It seems like the horror behind Slender is more of the imagination, what ISN'T shown, not what IS shown. I can see some young kids, or just people, not having the imagination to be thoroughly frightened by this stuff. It's not unbelievable to me at all that a little girl would see Slender as more "fun scary" than "horrifying", like a carnival's haunted house. My little cousin would be like "OMG RUN RUN don't look at the guy RUN LOL" when playing Slender, to her it's a fun game about being chased/stalked by the boogeyman. A child is more likely to look at a game as fun objectives to complete and not a vehicle for fear of the unknown and other horrifying implications.

It's not like kids don't enjoy horror/gory stuff inappropriate for their age. Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil was successful because they were some of the first M-Rated games, which is an idea that appeals to children.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I don't see the big deal with Slenderman. It seems like the horror behind Slender is more of the imagination, what ISN'T shown, not what IS shown. I can see some young kids, or just people, not having the imagination to be thoroughly frightened by this stuff. It's not unbelievable to me at all that a little girl would see Slender as more "fun scary" than "horrifying", like a carnival's haunted house. My little cousin would be like "OMG RUN RUN don't look at the guy RUN LOL" when playing Slender, to her it's a fun game about being chased/stalked by the boogeyman. A child is more likely to look at a game as fun objectives to complete and not a vehicle for fear of the unknown and other horrifying implications.

It's not like kids don't enjoy horror/gory stuff inappropriate for their age. Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil was successful because they were some of the first M-Rated games, which is an idea that appeals to children.
    Exactly. @Kamar talks about how horrific Slenderman is but that's all due to "awareness" and "paranoia" and stuff like that. As a child I wouldn't really have been aware of whatever it is Slenderman makes you aware of and I wouldn't have really known what it is to feel paranoia. Those are fairly sophisticated cognitive states and what makes Slenderman so scary to more mature people is that it taps into those states that are normally only caused by legitimately freaky shit. As a kid, the link between "Slenderman" and "legitimately freaky shit" isn't really formed because you don't have much of a grasp on the legitimately freaky shit. It's like how a lot of people don't find the Cthulhu mythos to be very horrifying - they just don't really grasp the sort of cosmic shit that makes some people terrified. Children who don't get freaked out at Slenderman are like adults who hear about Cthulhu eating the universe and say "well I guess that would suck" and shrug it off.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • KamarKamar Antivillain In The BasementRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think what gets me with Slenderman is the implications. Concrete reality and the rules as we know them just don't matter anymore. Honestly I get a bit creeped thinking about the truly bizarre aspects of the universe, too, the things that a human mind can't really comprehend outside of equations.

Shit, there's something out of the observable universe so massive that it's pulling a substantial portion of our universe towards it and we have no clue what it could be. Slenderman is like that, right here on earth and actively malevolent.

Kids don't even have the concrete vision of the world necessary to be truly afraid of that.
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Best part of this comic is what nobody has even posted about yet:
    It says MR GABE on the whiteboard
    gave me a good chuckle

Well, his name is John Gabriel.

Doh my gawd!
    _J_ wrote:
    If we only allowed pedophiles to be parents, then we would never have to worry about children being left alone, unwatched.
  • gonzorongonzoron Registered User new member
    Not sure if this is the right place to comment on the newspost, or if Tycho & Gabe even read this, but Gabe's idea to educate parents on this stuff is awesome. You should totally record your presentation somehow so people elsewhere can use it!
  • goldwatchkillagoldwatchkilla Registered User regular
    Well, it seems like most people itt and PA agree that violent video games can increase aggressive behavior, or else why would parental concern be an issue? However, currently you cannot really police parenting, but you can police what games are released. Therefore, banning violent video games. I love how Gabe is stepping up and trying to educate, which I believe is the best solution.
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    ...that’s not being powerless, that’s ceding power. It’s surprising how often people confuse the two, but I understand why. Without agency, you can’t accrue consequence.

This could be tacked on to just about any debate, lawsuit, or political issue in the US and be at least partially applicable.
  • wormspeakerwormspeaker Registered User regular
    I hope that the PTA meeting goes through as planned and Mike can educate them. It's terribly needed. Of course, there's two kinds of parents that need to be educated, the kind that show up to PTA meetings, (i.e. the ones that are engaged in their child's development, but lack knowledge of them newfangled vidja games.) and the ones that don't show up to PTA meetings. (i.e. The ones who don't know and/or just don't care.) Frankly if I were the ESRB I would be sending out colored pamphlets to all the elementary and junior high schools in the country that describe the ratings in simple and straightforward language, so that they could be handed out to parents on the day that they register their kids for school.
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I don't know about you guys, but ever since I was young I've always been freaked out by the idea of seeing some strange humanoid standing outside a window at night or suddenly walking out of a door into view. I'm 24 years old and I still get on edge whenever I'm outside at night or glance at an uncovered window at night or look in the mirror when I'm alone.

Before I was always afraid of some vague idea of a freakish humanoid, but now Slenderman has assumed the role as the embodiment of my paranoia.
  • ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Hunts Vegas, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, Gabe... can you?
  • ArmoredchocoboArmoredchocobo Avian LP extraordinaire Registered User regular
    How the heck can anyone be scared of Slenderman?

He's just a guy in evening wear roaming around the forest cuz he got lost at a dinner party. He's trying to ask you directions, but you, being the ignorant ass that you are, are too busy filming someone's notebook scribbles.

The only thing scary about him is the magnet in his pocket that wipes your camera's data storage when he gets too close.
  • DelzhandDelzhand motivated battle programmerRegistered User regular
    If Mike has a successful night at the PTA, I hope he collects his experiences and maybe makes some materials available to other gaming parents who'd like to do the same thing in their districts.
    9KKPPQw.png
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this comic, but I hate when parents become judgmental about how other parents act or raise their kids.

I get Gabe's angle here that he just wants to educate parents. But let's say that a parent is educated, knows everything involved in online gaming and decides their 10 year old kid can be trusted to play CoD online as long as he keeps up with his chores/homework, has dinner with the family, etc. Does that make them a bad parent? I would say no.

The overall guideline should be to know what your kids are doing and have discussions with them about consequences of actions. Even if I never let my son play a violent video game, you can be damn sure he'll find a way. That doesn't mean I should give up, but that I should be realistic about what kids have access to in the modern world and how parents can help shape their view of these things.
    Mike's idea is a good one the more information parents have the better. Maybe the parents of the kid will still allow them to play slender or what have you but that's a choice they'll have been making with insight as opposed to otherwise. And even if they already know and are informed there are those who are not!
    _J_ wrote:
  • CoinageCoinage Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't find Slenderman scary or even remotely interesting. The Silence from Doctor Who would be more worrisome.
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Geez. I thought the comic was just an amusing exageration. I mean, sure,The Slenderman game is creepy (in the right conditions- headphones/darkroom) and not something I'd personally wanna play myself*, but I've seen plenty of "Let's Plays" on it and it's not even violent.
    I mean, It's Boogey Man level scares, c'mon, give me a break.

Educating parents on ESRB ratings is a nice thing and all, but it sounds to me like the original incident that inspired Gabe is really overblown :/ .

*I like creepy games. I just... need story to go with them. so the Slendy game just seems kinda dull. I'd rather watch other people scare themselves.

EDIT- And I should point out, that I'm actually a HUGE wimp when it comes to gory stuff. I can't watch scary movies or the like or I'll get insomnia for half a year or so.
    Lovely on
    steam_sig.png
  • galatiangalatian Registered User new member
    While I'm not the parent that is referred to in the comic, I very well could be, since my kid is a 7-year old in the second grade and he knows who slender-man is. Now he actually came to me asking me to play the game. At this point, I had no idea who the hell slender-man was. My kid knows that he's only allowed to play games approved by me, I have some filters to filter out unwanted sites, etc, yet he still knew him. How? Well, part was, or course, other kids in the classroom. The other source was you tube. Look up Toby games (or Tobuscus), who seems to be pretty popular with kids this age. If you don't know him, he's basically a guy who plays video games and talks nonsense about it (usually in a really annoying Adam Sandler voice). I watched the video, and while I did not actually allow my kid to play the game, I saw how all the talking with funny voices, making fun of the game, and even acting scared took away the scariness and power that the original game had over my son.
    So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that a) Gabe probably didn't even know the whole story behind it, and even if he did, maybe it was part of a bigger teaching moment that he didn't realize and/or b) as some people have said previously, some kids, especially at that age, love being scared and watching scary movies, and reading scary books. Hell, at 7 I was reading scary story books that were faaaaar scarier than slender-man (and not that goosebump crap, try Lovecraft) simply cause I liked getting scared.
    Now, I didn't let my son play the slender-man game. I thought it was too scary FOR HIM. I would watch it at his age. But I let him keep watching the Toby video (I actually never let him see Marble Hornets, since I thought that was too realistic), it makes him realize it's just a game.
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so like I said I'm confused.. I wikipedia "slederman" and it's a image meme. Fine. But that doesn't fit in the context of the comic at all... from context it's a survival horror game like Silent Hill or Resident Evil, which is wildly age-innappropriate... but now many of the posts in this thread imply it is rather tame. I really would like some context here.
    Monkey Ball Warrior on
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
    Okay, so like I said I'm confused.. I wikipedia "slederman" and it's a image meme. Fine. But that doesn't fit in the context of the comic at all... from context it's a survival horror game like Silent Hill or Resident Evil, which is wildly age-innappropriate... but now many of the posts in this thread imply it is rather tame. I really would like some context here.

There is a game based on the meme called slender and it scared the bejesus out of a lot of peeps.
    _J_ wrote:
  • Eldarion27Eldarion27 Registered User new member
    In his post, Gabe's talking about hosting a parent education night with the PTA.

I hope the PA crew takes this one step further - they could take his notes from this and put together a downloadable "kit" for other gamer parents who would like to do this in their district. Maybe some topic notes, maybe a powerpoint, tips on dealing with specific complaints/objections that are likely to be brought up.
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular

There's a few free indie games for it, the most well known called "Slenderman: The Seven Pages" (or something like that.) First person game where you wander around a spooky dark forest looking for notes while being chased by "something." That thing being Slenderman. Each page you get collect makes Slenderman more agressive in his chase (he shows up more.) If he catches you his blank face shows up on the screen, there's a bunch of loud static, and the game ends.

steam_sig.png
  • Ryan A. ElliottRyan A. Elliott Registered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »

There's a few free indie games for it, the most well known called "Slenderman: The Seven Pages" (or something like that.) First person game where you wander around a spooky dark forest looking for notes while being chased by "something." That thing being Slenderman. Each page you get collect makes Slenderman more agressive in his chase (he shows up more.) If he catches you his blank face shows up on the screen, there's a bunch of loud static, and the game ends.

Totally the same thing as chainsawing a mutated zombie in half.
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    Okay that makes much more sense, thanks.
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
  • furlionfurlion Riding the walrusRegistered User regular
    I think the point of the comic was not so much to say that parents who let their children consume violent, gory, horrifying, sexual, etc. media are bad parents. Instead it was meant to say that perhaps they are not allowing their children to do so, they are just unaware of what they are consuming. Encouraging parents to be more involved in their children's absorption of knowledge outside of school is going to be very important in the future as the internet becomes more ubiquitous. An unguided child will be able to access media that will definitely have the potential to have long lasting negative effects, and this definitely includes video games.
    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
  • InvertinInvertin Registered User regular
    People who are like 'oh slenderman isn't really that scary there's no way this can harm a kid'

What you have to remember is that while Slenderman the indie games and Slenderman the images are relatively harmless, anyone who tries to, say, google slenderman- something any child who plays videogames should be able to do without even thinking about it, will run into Marble Hornets.

Marble Hornets being the internet videoseries that gives grown men nightmares and makes people unable to go out in the dark or near forests without feeling incredibly uneasy. I do not want to know what that shit would do to a kid.
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I think the point of the comic was not so much to say that parents who let their children consume violent, gory, horrifying, sexual, etc. media are bad parents. Instead it was meant to say that perhaps they are not allowing their children to do so, they are just unaware of what they are consuming. Encouraging parents to be more involved in their children's absorption of knowledge outside of school is going to be very important in the future as the internet becomes more ubiquitous. An unguided child will be able to access media that will definitely have the potential to have long lasting negative effects, and this definitely includes video games.

I don't know, if that were the point I'm not sure he'd start off by saying "what the fuck is wrong with you". I mean, it is Gabe and all but it definitely seems to be saying the parents are bad.
  • EinzelEinzel Registered User regular
    gonzoron wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right place to comment on the newspost, or if Tycho & Gabe even read this, but Gabe's idea to educate parents on this stuff is awesome. You should totally record your presentation somehow so people elsewhere can use it!

I came in here to say the same thing. At the worst it's a simple video that can be spammed out to parents to give them the simplest guide as to what's what.
  • Colt45Colt45 Registered User regular
    I've never heard of Slenderman until now. Is it scarier than Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark? I don't know why I thought of that just now. The art in those books was really disturbing.

I was never really into horror movies as a kid, but I remember readin those books thinking "haha innocent fun from the third grade book fair" and then getting ALL MESSED UP about it. then when I was maybe twelve my cousin told me her favorite movie was children of the corn. She was five. So it's different for everyone. Hell, when I saw Blade for the first time ever(at the same cousin's house) it messed me up because I had never been around that type of film. I still don't like horror and my cousin still does. It doesn't make her parents bad parents. To my cousin it was still just a movie, and to her parents it was just as irritating as having to rewind any other movie thousands of times for their kid. All in all I'd say she and I are both well adjusted young adults, or at least equally maladjusted.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Beep beep, Richie.

"He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts!"

My early years were heavily influenced by Mr King. The good stuff, not the sober writing, God bless him.
    MichaelLC on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Cowboy Fwankenstein Livin' That DreamRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Beep beep, Richie.

"He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts!"

My early years were heavily influenced by Mr King. The good stuff, not the sober writing, God bless him.

"They all float down here."
    darthsig.jpg