Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Leveling a Basement

Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
So i'm going to lay some tile in my basement, and currently it's pretty lumpy. Concrete substrate (I think i'm using that right) with 4 pretty serious dips (1-3 inches) that i want to fill in before i pour self leveler. i bought a bunch of Quikrete but didn't get started on the project yet. A few questions before i open anything.

1) do i need to put down a primer? or is that just for the self leveler?

2)the drywall hits the low spots in a few places (the bottom of the drywall isn't level) right down to the concrete. do i need to cut that away? or does it matter?

3) should i have bought different cement mix? this doesn't need to cure quickly or anything, i can leave it for a day or two before i do the self leveler. i also planned on mixing it in a bucket, and not a wheelbarrow (as i don't have one). Quikrete seems like it might be a bit thicker than i was imagining. i bought a mixer attachment for my drill, but i don't want to burn it out!

• bowenbowen Registered User regular
    You have drywall in your basement Dr.F? Got pictures? I'm almost hesitant to say you should rip the whole shebang out before you start.

I'm thinking that you're going to need to unfinish your basement to finish it properly. That means down to the foundation wall/external wall so that you can get a proper true/level floor in there.
  • PantshandshakePantshandshake Registered User regular
    1) I wouldn't think so.
    2) Not an expert, but I would think you don't want things that aren't concrete in your concrete. So, I'm going with yes, trim the nonsense.
    3) Use a stick?
    2) Not an expert, but I would think you don't want things that aren't concrete in your concrete. So, I'm going with yes, trim the nonsense.

Yeah plus a good condition for mold. Wet drywall in a basement where it's cool and moist.
    1) I just want to point out that me, of all people, had actual answers before talking about how his shit is haunted.
    2) Mister Doctor, your shit is crazy haunted. When you pour the cement, your entire county is going to flood in a freak spring time deluge.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    You need a concrete primer for the new concrete to bond to the old concrete, and you dont want the drywall or any framing in direct contact with it because concrete will get moist and wick water towards it just due to the enviroment and nature of concrete.

Before you do this, have you made sure your foundation/basement slab is stable? It would suck to do work on it, only to tear it all out because you have a problem (Which considering its your house..)

are you finishing this basement or just trying to make the floor walkable? If the later, I'd just use the leveling compound in the dents and leave the rest alone unless it is cartoonishly off level.
    Buttcleft on
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Make sure your foundation is stable it's important. If the floor is just pitted you can demo or poor over, however if the concrete is pitted it is probably poor quality concrete. This can cause problems later on. if you think the damage was external and not the ground sinking underneath. Just make sure you have expansion joints and read a guide on leveling concrete. There are some wiki how's on concrete finishing.
    zepherin on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    I think it was shitty pouring/spreading from the builder, my foundation seems ok. they just slapped carpet down so i doubt they bothered to make it perfect. the drywall was replaced from all the water damage originally, so it's actually in good shape. Unfortunately, they took it right down to the concrete, regardless of level (it was "flat" but not level). I've got a Dremel Multi-Max and a drywall/wood blade, but it doesn't work as well as i thought. i assumed it would zip right through drywall, but it does not.

SammyF, please get your contacts to drop one of those directly on my house (when i'm not home of course!). Let me document all of the expensive art and faberge eggs that i own first though.
    You honestly should rip out everything not a foundation wall down there. Insulation, drywall, partition framework, etc.

Otherwise you're going to fuck it up. This is the kind of job where if you don't know what you're doing you should grab a contractor because cutting the bottom off the drywall and pouring concrete under it is going to make a huge mess, ruin the drywall, and make some dangerous mold and all that.
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Frenchenstein: If your near DC or Baltimore I know some GCs who do a good job with concrete work. If you want to send me a PM. I also know guys who do electrical and plumbing.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I would be hesitant to send people into this particular basement unless they're accompanied by a priest. And that concrete better be made with holy water.
    I'm an ordained minister, i'll bless any water mixed into the concrete (although, maybe my sacrilege is what got me into this mess?)

Zeph, i am in the heart of downtown baltimore. i have an electrician but i could definitely use a good GC, and a plumber contact! pm away!
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    i dunno, its probably easier to strip maybe the bottom 1-2 feet of dry wall/insulation etc and then do the floor than to pull off everything. and it will be easier to repair.
    camo_sig.png
    I'm hoping to only strip enough for it not to touch the concrete, then i can just put baseboards down rather than repair anything.
    Mike Holmes would be so disappointed with your band aid.

The problem with drywall is it's attached to studs. Chances are that sill plate that those studs are attached to is true to the floor. You can't pour concrete under the sill plate without removing the drywall, membrane, insulation, studs, and sill plates. Also it might be a load bearing wall too.

You can't just level a floor without ripping practically everything out. This will bite you in the ass Dr.F. Especially since you're living on an Indian burial ground.
    I'm pretty sure mike holmes would immediately throw up in his mouth upon looking at my house.

regardless, leveling the foundation properly simply isn't an option, financially or timewise. this is the best i can do for getting the basement habitable again.
    edited May 2013
    You're going to get mold, most likely, since you're not taking out the studs, and you're going to pour concrete up and possibly over them (over the sill plate of the framed wall, anyways). If you ever try to sell the inspector will flunk the property for that, if they catch it, so keep this in mind and chalk this up to "this is a terrible decision I should just leave it alone if I can't do it the right way" sort of thing.
    bowen on
    Sounds like someone needs to get some duct tape and some heavy duty plastic wrap to build a dam...
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    I did this in my house in Baltimore, but not for a basement. I did it for a patio that had been converted to a room, and everything except for the ancient indian burial ground applied.

I did this before the drywall went up. You can cut away the drywall at the bottom. Use fans to help the stuff cure, no matter what you use, because you don't want any mold to set in the studs. I skipped laying another layer of concrete and went right to the self-leveling stuff. My surface was smooth and mostly flat, but not flat enough to put down tile (in my case, stick-on tile). I used two packages of self-leveler stuff, which is basically just like a very wet concrete. I applied a very basic primer to the floor before applying it. After I poured it, I tried to squeegee it around. It worked OK, and the floor was more level.

In my case, I didn't need it to be perfect; I just wanted it to be better. So, I did a quick solution that worked for me. The primer stuff is pretty dense, so it will easily push away plastic and other lightweight barriers if you try to corral it, so it's probably just not worth it unless you need to ensure you don't accidentally pour concrete into your sump pump. Also, in my experience, the self-leveling stuff isn't magic -- it still requires a fair amount of work to get it spread, and you need to use enough to actually cover the floor. It's just wet enough that you don't need to do the level-with-2x4 method.

If you're not sure, or you want to experiment, section off a portion of the floor with some 2x4s or similar and work with the smaller area. If the space itself is large and you're looking to level the whole thing, I advise this method anyway so you can easily work with moving the material and can do it in multiple phases.
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    i've heard that curing and drying are two very different things, i was wondering if there was something i needed to do to have it set correctly. Doesn't the self leveler need to be one solid piece (i.e. you can't do it in phases)?

i don't see how doing this will make it any worse than it is, aside from the mold potential, which i will have to research more. my GF's brother is a contractor, and he hasn't mentioned anything about this being a terrible idea. While i'd love to get someone in there to do this absolutely correctly, it's just not feasible. However, I will totally send you 1 Shamed Fist Bump if it blows up in my face.
    Curing is basically "the cement is strong now!"
    Drying means "We can attach the plates, walls, and flooring now!"
    As per our usual agreement, if you hurt yourself or cement yourself to the floor, you find a way to post before you summon help.
    edited May 2013
    If you plan on leveling the entire floor, You will need to rip out the studs and drywall. You can not pour leveling cement over it, it will just cause mold and rot later.

Read the instructions on your leveling cement, as well, because I believe it needs to be at least an inch thick at the thinnest area to be strong enough to not crumble under use, but I'm not entirely sure on that and your instructions should tell you.

Honestly, If you dont want to go the proper route of ripping out the drywall and studs, then I would avoid concrete all together and level the floor with wood framing, putting solid foam insulation between the boards and laying plywood over. Just remember to protect the wood from the concrete with gasketing.
    Buttcleft on
    Oh yeah, plywood and foam is another possibility, completely forgot about that.
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    i've heard that curing and drying are two very different things, i was wondering if there was something i needed to do to have it set correctly. Doesn't the self leveler need to be one solid piece (i.e. you can't do it in phases)?

They are, but it's technical. For most things you work with in everyday life, you add water, and then the water dries. For concrete, adding water initiates a chemical process, and you want to maximize that chemical process's timeframe in order to ensure there's no cracks or weaknesses. If you just mix and forget about it, all the water will evaporate (the concrete will dry), leaving you with concrete that hasn't been fully mixed and set.

However, a lot of this depends on the leveler and the mix that you have. Read the instructions to see what you should do. Part of the reason it's tricky to pour straight concrete in an already finished space is that you're supposed to keep the humidity high for a period of time to ensure the chemical process completes and sets (curing) so that it doesn't dry out. My experience with floor leveling compound is that it cures quickly, so you really shouldn't have much trouble with it (other than acting fast). The self-leveler does need to be one solid piece, but that doesn't mean you can't set up dams to do it in multiple pieces. The effectiveness of the damn will be dependent on how level the floor is, if you can find a space that's flat enough.

Another way to think of curing vs drying is that you can pour and set concrete underwater. It will happily harden despite never actually "drying." True, it's usually initially poured with a coffer dam, but the concrete used for bridges over water ends up typically being the strongest concrete, thanks to ample water to complete the hydration process.
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • BeazleBeazle Registered User regular
    How much headroom do you have in the basement? If you have enough room you might be able to put in a floating floor. Frame out a new sub-floor over the concrete and put tile or whatever you want over it. Cost might be more than you want to spend.
    edited May 2013
    what if i put up some kind of block against the studs to keep the self leveling stuff from directly hitting them? and then removed them after it cured? as long as the concrete goes very close to the edge of the wall (ie, will be covered up by the baseboards) IDGAF.
    Dr. Frenchenstein on
    That might work. It might not. It might be easier to just not and build a subfloor overtop. Maybe some thinset + cement boards?
    also i'm pretty sure the baseplates for the studs are just wood on concrete, no gasketing. no rot either (yet?)that i can see, but i will take a closer look tonight.
    edited May 2013
    what if i put up some kind of block against the studs to keep the self leveling stuff from directly hitting them? and then removed them after it cured? as long as the concrete goes very close to the edge of the wall (ie, will be covered up by the baseboards) IGAF.

it would basically channel any water that enters your house around the outside along your exterior walls and away from the drains, rotting your framing and drywall and leading to mold.
    Buttcleft on
    edited May 2013
    also i'm pretty sure the baseplates for the studs are just wood on concrete, no gasketing. no rot either (yet?)that i can see, but i will take a closer look tonight.

It's probably pressure treated wood that resists wicking moisture up into the studs. It's perfectly fine to put wood on concrete in that situation. Just a no no to put it into dirt. I think pressure treated wood is still okay to do that, but there's no real good reason to.
    bowen on
    bowen wrote: »
    That might work. It might not. It might be easier to just not and build a subfloor overtop. Maybe some thinset + cement boards?

doesn't it have to be level for this to work?

i just farted around on Youtube for an hour, and there are plenty of videos of people pouring self leveler with drywall still up. However it does look like there is something at the edges where the wall meets the floor, but i never see a comment about what that is. I have to go to the hardware store tonight, so i'll ask around.
    Bottom plate for the framed floating wall probably.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_plate

It's pretty cheap in terms of rebuilding this stuff that if you do it right, it pays for itself back in spades of not dealing with shit like water fucking up your structure because you half-butted the leveling of your floor and left a channel for it. Rip it out, redo it.

Hang a drop ceiling after you frame and drywall the new walls and boom, finished basement.
    Obviously get an electrician to run conduit/wire the place up and all that so you can insulate and vapor barrier the fucker too.

And get it inspected. Do it right. Truuuuust me on this, I've helped my dad repair enough houses to facepalm at some of the shit people do to save a $200 here or there and we ended up having to do $2000 in work just to unfuck it.
    no i mean something covering that (at least, that's what it looks like)
    no i mean something covering that (at least, that's what it looks like)

Probably foam expansion tape, I think you see that a lot with Self Leveling Concrete.

http://euro-pack.ru/wp-content/uploads/ac_prod_illbruck_willseal.jpg

Looks something like that?
    very possibly!
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Be sure to mix in one part holy water with your concrete mixture. I am entirely serious.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Let's add ablutions from the Ganges while we're at it. Cover all the bases.