Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

I think my mom is going crazy

SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
My mom has been acting odd for a few months, but today she had a conversation with me that makes me think she's actually going crazy. She has been a diagnosed bipolar for over 15 years, and had an episode 5-10 years ago during which she was checked into a mental hospital for a few days. She is also in the process of divorcing my dad and getting their house ready to sell, and knows she will not have a job next year (she is a teacher). In the past nine months or so she has talked to me about things going missing or finding things not quite where she left them. Twice in the last couple months she has given me notes indicating that she believe my dad is up to something or messing with her. I thought it was odd but haven't done anything about it or talked to anyone about it because my own life has been very stressful and I didn't want to admit to myself that my mom might be going nuts.

Tonight we had over an hour conversation on the phone where she told me that she believes she is a victim of gang stalking and gaslighting, organized by my dad. She believes that a vast group of people are following her in cars and on the street, breaking into her home and work to steal things or move things around, antagonizing her in public areas, among other things. She looked these up on the internet and found stories from other people who believe that similar things are happening to them, as well as support groups for people who believe they are victims of gang stalking. She has hired a detective, whom she has not met in person, to investigate things for her. She says she has told bits and pieces to people close to her, including one of her sisters, a neighbor, and a close friend, but has not told anyone too much because she is afraid they will think she is crazy. Her sister and friend both told her to talk to her psychologist about this, but she says the communities online say to not do so because you never know who is in on this sort of thing.

For most of the conversation I stayed quiet, just listening in utter disbelief that these ideas were coming from my mom. I asked her if she has talked to my sister about this yet, and she started crying and asking how she could tell my sister that our dad is organizing a vast conspiracy against her (not her words, but my impression of what she believes). I tried to remain neutral, not encouraging her beliefs, but also not expressing outright disbelief. I encouraged her to bring these things up when she next sees her psychologist in order to help her with the stress that this is causing her, which she seemed agreeable towards. I also asked her what she was going to do next and she said that she wants to do as much as she can to make sure this stops happening to people. This frightened me because I'm afraid it will end her career. I don't think she'd do anything violent to someone she thinks is part of this stalking, but waging a public campaign against something that most rational people agree are delusional theories is not the best thing to have on a teacher's record.

I'm not sure what to do next. I haven't talked to my dad or sister yet, but I think I will have to. My sister at the very least. I don't have a therapist of my own, but I think I will be seeing one soon to help me deal with this. I'm probably overdue for seeing one anyway. But I really have no idea what course of action to take here. I want to help my mom, but I don't want to her hate me because I don't believe her or somehow see me as part of the conspiracy. Does anyone know someone who has gone through a similar thing and what sort of things can be done? My mom and I both live in California for whatever it matters.
steam_sig.png

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    e: that was maybe a bit over the top. Can you reach her phsyc and inform them of this stuff?
    tinwhiskers on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    My mother is an incredibly difficult to deal with person, but nothing like that.

I'd recommend trying to inform her doctor about this development. This is something that needs to be addressed at the professional level.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    It sounds like your Mom has serious mental issues. These are classic symptoms of paranoid delusion and probably schizophrenia.

Ditch the psychologist, she needs a real psychiatrist that can write prescriptions. She may need to take anti-psychotic drugs.

Is there anyway that she could stay with you or your sister for a while or that one of you could stay with her? She might find a better mental state if she weren't alone.

You do need to find some way to get her help even if she ends up hating you.
    steam_sig.png
  • ceresceres not beautiful like you Pennsylvania, USASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    Sevorak wrote: »
    I don't have a therapist of my own, but I think I will be seeing one soon to help me deal with this. I'm probably overdue for seeing one anyway. But I really have no idea what course of action to take here.

This. Do this. Do it as soon as possible. A therapist can help you with your own shit, but they can also give you some perspective on the best way to handle this situation, for her and for you. Good job convincing her to talk to her therapist about the situation in a way she was comfortable with; that you were able to do that under the circumstances is pretty impressive.

It sounds like everything is happening to her at once, and she's just cracking under it. You are probably going to have to talk to your family at some point if she won't get help otherwise, because she is going to drive herself insane bottling it up.

Whether or not you should say anything to your dad right now probably depends on the kind of relationship they have, why they're getting divorced, and how the process is going, as well as how calm you think he can stay about it considering she thinks he orchestrated all of this. For now (as in until you get a professional opinion), if you talk to someone about this try to be sure they will have her best interest at heart before taking action, because it sounds like she is sick.

I'm really not sure you should talk to her psychologist. If she finds out you've done so it may confirm her paranoia and ruin her relationship with the last few people she trusts. I won't say one way or another, but really think carefully before you do that. It's much better in my opinion if you can convince her to do it.
    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
  • ceresceres not beautiful like you Pennsylvania, USASuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    e: that was maybe a bit over the top. Can you reach her phsyc and inform them of this stuff?

Wow you would have been SO infracted. You have shown great wisdom this day.
    The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    First of all, I'm sorry man. My mother is bipolar and had a break a few years ago under some very stressful circumstances as well.

I'm going to go ahead and affirm that your mother is very sick right now. Shift your focus from her to career to her health, because that's what really matters. You need to talk to a psychiatrist right now about what your options are. Stay away from her psychologist unless you're advised to do otherwise. If your mother thinks you're "in on it" things will get much harder because she'll stop talking to you and be sent in further distress by the feelings of betrayal.

If she's medicated, she's probably not taking it right now. That's one of the first things to go when bipolar episodes happen. If she's taking any other types of drugs, things are going to get much, much, much worse in a hurry. I truly wish I could help you more.

1) Talk to a psychiatrist to discuss options. You may need to commit your mother, if just to make sure she gets medicated.
    2) Life over career. Bipolar people that get paranoid delusions can be a danger to themselves or other people. This is as serious as a heart attack.
    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • GonmunGonmun Canada eh!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm just going to say I totally agree with Derrick on his post. While I have not had family with mental problems I've seen what it can get to as my father was the Chief of Police in my hometown dealing with a couple of individuals who were not taking their medication. What you're mother is describing is almost the same as an instance where one such individual came to our door late at night claiming that a Canadian broadcaster was beaming signals directly into her brain. Turns out that person had been off of their meds for a little over a week. Thankfully it didn't get more serious then that and my father took her to the local hospital where they were able to help her in that particular episode. It certainly sounds like your mother is in need of professional help and I would strongly advise the sooner the better before she becomes a risk to herself or potentially others.
    Gonmun on
    t7zsk1.jpg
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    Well it seams to me that there are 3 options. She is in the middle of a psychological episode, she is lieing, or your dad has created a vast conspiracy against her.

I do believe the last 2 while possible are incredibly unlikely. I have seen an ex try to get back and harrass someone. As someone who was there when my step dad, and my moms ex husband was out to get her, this is not really the sort of thing that happend. Moving things around the house and subtly following someone isn't quite how those things play out.

So the trigger is likely stress, divource, selling the house moving are all stressors and can push somenoe who is bipolar over. Reducing the stressors and talking to a psychiatrist will likely be helpful for her. I'm not sure the internet is the best place to determine weather she needs a pharmaceutical solution, armchair pschiatry can give dangerous preconceptions.
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    There are services available in California on a county-by-county basis that might be useful.

They would likely have run into this issue before (family members concerned about a loved one's spiraling paranoia) and could provide bridging guidance. I'm not sure that, if you don't yet have an established relationship with a therapist/psychiatrist, you want to be sitting around waiting to build one while your mother loses control of her life.

http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/Documents/County_Mental_Health_Crisis_Numbers_CMHDA_04182013_ADA.pdf
    steam_sig.png
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I agree with Ceres about some counseling for yourself - dealing with mentally ill family members is unbelievably trying, and you'll wreck yourself if you're not careful. With my mom it was advanced Alzheimer's, which can be very dangerous in some of the same ways - my mother had to be restrained and sedated once because she had a delusional panic while fixating on a doctor she believed to be somebody from her past.

I disagree with Ceres that you should let the possibility of this destroying your mother's trust or remaining friendships stop you from getting her the help she needs, however. It will probably destroy those friendships eventually anyway, no matter what you do there's a chance she'll eventually believe you or some other friend are part of this conspiracy against her. You can't be careful and avoid it, because delusions defy logic and can explode out of the tiniest details, like a random item out of place, or the way somebody holds their coffee.

And without actually knowing what's wrong with her, there's really no knowing what it could escalate to, or what you need to be ready for. Mental illnesses are a bottomless fractal, the same symptoms could be so many different things with different needs, even professionals sometimes need to experiment with drug reactions or observation to determine a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.
    Hevach on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    Ditch the psychologist, she needs a real psychiatrist that can write prescriptions. She may need to take anti-psychotic drugs.

Is there anyway that she could stay with you or your sister for a while or that one of you could stay with her? She might find a better mental state if she weren't alone.
    She has a psychiatrist, though I'm not sure when the last time she saw him was. She takes medications for various disorders. They're one of the things she says has been stolen/moved. She lives two hours away from me, so it would be possible for me to stay with her or vice versa but not the easiest thing to do immediately since we both have pets that would need arrangements for and I'd have to take time off work. She is on leave from her job at the moment, so having her stay with me might work. She said she has been staying with my aunt who lives near her for a night or two at a time. I don't have my aunt's contact information, but I'm going to try to talk to her. My sister is going to school at the other end of the state, so that's a non starter.
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    There are services available in California on a county-by-county basis that might be useful.
    Thank you for this. I called them up and they said that I should try to get her to go to an emergency room and call the police for her city to explain the situation and have them do a welfare check. I'm worried about having the police show up at her house given her state, but I did call them. She wasn't home when they went to check but they said they would check on her a few more times during the day.

I'm trying to get in touch with a psychiatrist in my area to talk to about my options, but I haven't received any calls back yet.
    steam_sig.png
  • SiskaSiska Registered User regular
    Sounds like an awful situation. I imagine the spiteful situations that often happen during divorces can really add fuel to any mental health issue a person might have. Are they still legally married? If so you may need for him to be in the loop if it gets to the point where you need to have your mother committed (if she refuses to get help, herself). Also, he should probably avoid in person interactions with her, alone or otherwise, for now. If she thinks he is about to hurt her she may do something desperate. And yes, don't forget to get some help for yourself. This must be nerve wrecking.
    camo_sig-400.png