Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Shipping a desktop across country

KleinKlein Registered User regular
So I am studying at another college for the summer and I want to bring my desktop with me in someway. Any suggestions for shipping or getting it there without damage? I have looked at some ways but it is coming up to ~$100, just for the tower, and at that point I may as well think about investing in a laptop.

• PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    In general the components that are most likely to get damaged from vibrations, getting tossed around, etc are: CPU, graphics card & (non-SSD) disks. You shouldn't take the CPU out without the proper packaging, but removing the heatsink would help (though it really depends on your style of heatsink/mounting bracket). You can take this stuff in your luggage instead
    Phyphor on