Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Ray Harryhausen dead at age 92

VeretasVeretas Registered User regular
One of the most important, influential, and inspiring people in film and animation history died earlier today.

hero719_harryhausen-skeleton.jpg

Ray Harryhausen was an incredibly skilled man whose work in stop-motion animation work on films like Jason And The Argonauts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmRuJByoVs

and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qvo4arzVS0

His work in visual effects and animation over the past near century have been an inspiration for animators and directors all over. From George Lucas to Peter Jackson to Tim Burton. There isn't a single animator that doesn't know his work, and not a single one that doesn't have an intense respect for it. This was a man who made generations of people believe that monsters were real, and that they could make their own. He will be sorely missed.

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    if i wasn't already sad about this, it took this dang long for a thread to be made?

double bummer.
  • VeretasVeretas Registered User regular
    I woulda made it sooner but I was at work all day. And then spent some time watching some of his movies.
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    It got mentioned in the Ebert thread and a couple of other places, trust me, it hasn't gone unnoticed.

But still, goddamn. The man was amazingly influential and he impacted my life and my dreams in a pretty significant fashion. I'm just glad he died a reasonably comfortable death at 92 and still had people who loved him.

I'll probably bust out Jason and the Argonauts sometime soon just to reminisce.
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    Don't worry, in a week he'll be up and moving again, one frame at a time.
    Hope it's not in poor taste? A little humor for an otherwise somber thread. I love the guy's work as well, and think that he was probably one of the most important effects people well into the time of CG
  • LegbaLegba Registered User regular
    The cyclops BBQing some mans in The 7th Voyage of Sinbad is one of my strongest memories from growing up. That shit was harrowing. 92 is not a bad age to go, though. Good on him.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I remember randomly seeing some of that guy's skeletons. Thought they looked pretty good for the time.
  • FishmanFishman scientia potentia est Robot ProvocateurRegistered User regular
    Fuck, I missed this news until now. Somehow. Fuck, again, on general principles.
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Aw, jeez. When I was a kid, I watched some poorly recorded VHS copies of the Sinbad movies, Jason and the Argonauts, and especially Clash of the Titans over and over and over again. I used to keep stacks of Cinefantastique and Fangoria and other movie magazines, reading shit tons of articles about how Harryhausen did his armatures and worked on Mighty Joe Young and so on, and wishing Blockbuster would have copies of Beast from 20,000 Fathoms or It Came from beneath the Sea. My uncle sent me a copy of Earth vs. the Flying Saucers several years ago, and I've watched it a stupid number of times. I can't say enough good things about this guy's work.
    HlDUfm7.png
  • VeretasVeretas Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    I remember randomly seeing some of that guy's skeletons. Thought they looked pretty good for the time.

They still look good, that's the whole point.