Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[PATV] Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 6, Ep. 9: Global Games: Mexico, Argentina &

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 6, Ep. 9: Global Games: Mexico, Argentina & Chile

This week, we take a look at some more Latin American nations and their potential for game industry growth.
Come discuss this topic in the forums!

Read the full story here

Dog on

• dodge83dodge83 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    that Outro music sounds awesome :D listening to the whole thing found it via Google rather easily or you can type final fantasy fire cross into youtube
    dodge83 on
  • darkmage0707077darkmage0707077 Registered User regular
    Wait, "I Wish I Were the Moon" is from Chile/Argentina?? I never knew that, that's one of my favorite indie games of all time! Rockin'! (I live in the USA, full disclosure).

This kind of stuff excites me. I'd love to have new producers of games come out and mix up the product variety with more culturally diverse games. Can't wait to hear about other locals in the coming episodes!
    The way of the Paladin:
    To Seek,
    To Learn,
    To Do.
    -QFG2

If the speed of light is faster then the speed of sound, is that why people always appear bright until they speak? o_O
  • mihilKmihilK Registered User new member
    Please make next one about Russia/Ukraine/Belorussia ! There are interesting market and some development studios ;)
  • mihilKmihilK Registered User new member
    Please make next one about Russia/Ukraine/Belorussia ! There are interesting market and some development studios ;)
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Fear the cow. Registered User regular
    I'm mexican and the wealth is not spread. Only in the big cities you might get a big market but stuff is extremely expensive here. My country has a lot of taxes for goods imported from China to encourage the local market but the problem is that regarding technology the developments are quite pathetic. So new games end up costing 80 USD and consoles a lot more (bordering decent PC rigs).

Another problem is that why should we support the local market when older people with credit cards can get goods from Steam and Amazon.com.

Also, education is another problem. Some places like Mexico City and Monterrey might have the manpower to start a few studios but mostly on mobile. As someone who would like to make games with Unity, I have to relearn a lot stuff from engineering due to outdated and incompetent teachers in my college.

BTW, piracy is quite common here. Look for "Tepito" and "piracy" on the web to get an idea.
    XBL - ArchSilversmith
  • JerboEJerboE Registered User new member
    Last year we participated in the Square Enix Latin America contest, wich had as a result the setup of their offices in Mexico City (I think). This contest was a mobile and web based games, wich shows that mayor companies are now willing to support local latin-american development studios even if it is only inside the mobile genre.
    http://latam.square-enix.com/en/node/47
  • cxsanchezcxsanchez Registered User regular
    Venezuela? the pirate market is huge and we have a struggling developer community working to get videogames legalized (see? interesting stuff!)
  • ijedijed Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Doritos Crash Course (1+2) were made by Behavior Santiago - that's Chile.

Brazil doesn't have any real games education or infrastructure to speak of and Argentina has major economic and import issues that hamstring it from forming a development community.
    ijed on
  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    First of all, thanks for considering México, and if you ever need someone to talk about México and videogames I would gladly help you out. I'm from a Northern State, a border state with the US, and currently living at México's center region.

The two regions have different "gaming scenes", at least in the consumer sense. Mexicans from the nothern region have access to US stores and US addresses (Such as PO Boxes or relative's houses.) Which allows mexicans to enjoy the advantages of the US market. I know I have. I can't speak for the biggest city (Monterrey) but AFAIK (I have two years living here now.), there isn't a lot of dedicated videogame stores (You can find games at big chain stores.) in Mexican northern states. It's usually better just to travel to the US and get your games there (Cheaper and with more variety of games.).

Now, at the center region you can find dedicated game stores, but they are expensive (But I guess not as expensive compared to the travelling costs of going to the US to get games.). A game can be worth from 600 to 900 pesos (Keep in mind that the average minimum wage per month in México is around 9000 pesos.) so they are really expensive. People do buy them though (Middle and Upper class people do.), although there is a bigger pirate market.

There is a HUGE pirate market in México, there are places with several booths filled with pirate games and places that will modify your console to play games. When you can get a game for 10 pesos and your console modified for 1000 or even less (I've become a steam PC gamer due to all of this, so I'm not really sure of the current prices, I can find out if you wish.), for a lot of people it's a good idea to "invest" in a modified console.

Still, I'm older now, and most of my gamer friends are older too, they earn a decent mount of money and get original games. Although I must say that most of the time mexicans will buy consoles just for fifa and COD games (Just like Americans get Madden.). There is a consumer market, I think it's just a really special one.
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • GodEmperorLetoIIGodEmperorLetoII Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So there's a James Mobile eh? That's where all the big Extra Credits bucks are going eh? ;)

Also, whoo battle on the bridge and such.
    GodEmperorLetoII on
  • pradafangpradafang Registered User new member
    You guys obviously need to do more research. Like, WAY more research...
    First of all, if you think Mexicans don't spend as much money on games as Brazilians do, you're wrong. You're very very very wrong. People in Mexico spend a lot of money on games, mostly pirate games like Brazil.
    Also, consider the fact that Brazil is waaay behind in technology due to their ridiculous laws about tech imports. When Mexico got the wii (same time as in the US), while in Brazil they were still playing with the N64. That's two generations behind.
    Also, education in Mexico is not bad. It has some of the best universities in the world (like UNAM), and almost everyone with a college education speaks at least 2 languages and can find their own country in a map. Can't say that about most Americans.
    I'm quite disappointed on you guys.
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    @Pradafang: "Hey, don't generalize Mexicans! Now let me take a jab at Americans by generalizing them."
  • DoctorHoboDoctorHobo Registered User new member
    First of all: great episode. That out of the way I do have one complaint. Now what I’m about to say seems so obvious to me, that I’m probably missing something, but I'm gonna say it anyways.

It doesn’t matter if the wealth is distributed evenly or not. If everyone in a country has exactly the same amount of wealth, but they are all extremely poor, that county wouldn't be viable for AAA games. At the same time if a country’s distribution of wealth ranged widely, but even those on the low end were quite well of, that country would be a great place for games financially.
  • ZombieAladdinZombieAladdin Registered User regular
    Any interest in a piece about Southeast Asia? I'd be interested to know if communities are able to spring up in the face of such strong piracy. (The mention of piracy on this video reminded me of it.)
  • algeyaalgeya Registered User regular
    Dont call it cartels they are called monopolies
  • gamemaniac3434gamemaniac3434 Registered User regular
    Sony appears to be moving into Brazil. I guess that may demonstrate future potential is rising, and hopefully we get some fresh blood infused into the industry.
  • Syke StrykerSyke Stryker Registered User new member
    Thanks for ignoring Canada for the AAA games... Maybe we'll just keep Assassin's Creed to our selves :P
  • pradafangpradafang Registered User new member
    @Shinyo I didn't complain about them "generalizing Mexicans", I complained about them providing completely wrong information. They were like "hey guys, we didn't really spend much time researching, but we'll spend half of the video talking about our absolutely incorrect analysis".

As a mexican, and as a game developer (who studied in the US and has worked developing games in 3 countries, including Mexico, in 3 different continents), I can safely say that this video is absolutely wrong and misleading.
  • blazearmorublazearmoru Registered User regular
    I closed this as soon as the outtro music came on and then realized, WTF I know this one. Had to come back to check it out. Ah FF series, I miss you so. :)
  • digitarudigitaru Registered User regular
    @pradafang Did more research and thought needed to be put into this presentation? Most likely. ABSOLUTELY wrong and misleading? I don't think so at least. It's interesting and informative. Let me get one thing clear, I obviously have no clue about the Mexican market, maybe they do have some independent game companies there, but don't make any that cross the border into international markets, or maybe they do and I'm just an ignoramus.

I will heed that their analysis of the Mexican market left something to be desired, but what's this about Brazil being two generations behind Mexico I'm reading about? As far as I know, and from what I've gathered, they've kept up with the rest of the world, albeit with a slight lag behind the others, but nothing so hyperbolic as what you've stated. Am I just misunderstanding something or what?
  • crayzzcrayzz Registered User regular
    digitaru wrote:
    ABSOLUTELY wrong and misleading? I don't think so at least. It's interesting and informative.

So, wait, you have a game developer who worked in Mexico telling you from personal experience that the video is wrong, and your rebuttal is your own personal opinion?
  • keefahkeefah Registered User new member
    I'd love to see one of these for the Polish dev scene.
  • FireREGSFireREGS Registered User new member
    @pradafang I cant agree anymore with you even if I wanted.

EVERYONE WORLD WIDE, Latin america, FRIGGIN HAS a HUGE videogame-consumer market, the only reason we buy mostly pirated its because of ridiculous pricing.

For example, here in venezuela, you know, that super communist country from hell that is believed to be the poorest country of Latin america due to the goverment, anyway, here since there is no easy and safe pirating for ps3 games, people DO buy PS3 games, and guess what? they buy games that in america are priced at 60$, you know at which price? FUKIN 230$, and they do sell, so damn well, you would never believe it. If we just had actual reasonable prices, like americans, europeans and asians do have, we wounl't pirate so damn much, it would slowly become a non pirate market fast enough.

Now on developing, its just a thing about actual indie who lit the fire, the same way it happened on brazil and south corea.
  • lordlundarlordlundar Registered User regular
    Thanks for ignoring Canada for the AAA games... Maybe we'll just keep Assassin's Creed to our selves :P

The Canadian development market (especially Big ticket games) are mainly just an extension of the US game development market. Even before the EA buyout of Bioware there wasn't really anything about any development company with offices in Canada that could be called uniquely Canadian. It was either an extension of another countries development in spirit (like BioWare) or in physicality (countless {insert company name} {insert Canadian city}).

And after listening to the part of the cartels does this mean we can call EA a cartel now?
  • SelestrielleSelestrielle Registered User new member
    lordlundar wrote: »

The Canadian development market (especially Big ticket games) are mainly just an extension of the US game development market. Even before the EA buyout of Bioware there wasn't really anything about any development company with offices in Canada that could be called uniquely Canadian. It was either an extension of another countries development in spirit (like BioWare) or in physicality (countless {insert company name} {insert Canadian city}).

And after listening to the part of the cartels does this mean we can call EA a cartel now?

Soooo because Canada's USA's neighbour, it doesn't matter if it's the third biggest country in the worldwide video game industry? There are over 40 videogame studios in Montreal where I live, most of the are NOT extensions of American companies. Same goes for Toronto and Vancouver. Canada is a big player in the industry, for once we're not just America's hat. Would it kill you to let us be proud of what we're good at?
  • KooshiefulKooshieful Registered User new member
    " I didn't complain about them "generalizing Mexicans"" Yes you did, quite obviously too, you just dont realize you did, to make it worse, as noted by Shinyo, you tried to make things better by generalizing another culture. As a mexican and a consumer i can safely say that this video is semi-accurate (As disclosed by James et al) and that pradafang is just being a boob, not to mention he seems to have missed the most important, monopoly oriented criticism, probably Mexico's main industrial and economic issue.
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I hate to jump into the Canada issue but several of the studios in the US jump back and forth into Canada all the time, the recent downturn of the Vancouver scene provides evidence in some manner I can no longer remember.

I'm just so happy that I already had the outro music on my cell phone, does that make me a hipster?
  • digitarudigitaru Registered User regular
    @crayzz Read between the lines sir. I only meant that even though a lot of the information in the video is inaccurate, it was interesting and some of may have been true, interesting enough to make me go out and research some of it myself to see what was what.
  • StayPhrostyStayPhrosty Registered User regular
    lordlundar wrote: »

Just because you can't tell the difference between Canadian and American culture, doesn't mean the rest of us can't.
  • stubzstubz Registered User new member
    Registered to say the following:

I'd also like to see a discussion about Canada's place in the game development world.

Canada has a relatively small and heavily flung apart population that's divided by language. Yet it plays a lead role in global game development much beyond what you'd expect. The development community is vibrant and successful, for some reason. In fact the place basically stands shoulder to shoulder with the United States and Japan on the subject, and that should worth a couple minutes of everyone's time.

• enistojaenistoja Registered User new member
    As a Mexican living in Canada, I sadly must say that Mexico is unlikely to emerge from anywhere as anything, bordering on the impossible grounds. The entertainment industry in Mexico is interested in keeping the people stupid and under control; to the point where, combined with several other entities, they rigged the presidential election, having a placeholder puppet be a president while the actual choices happen backstage, with no input from the population at large.
    Mexico cannot develop because our government is interested only in increasing its own wealth, and in the mean time... well, a new saying popped up: Working class has no work, middle class has no means and high class has no class.
    It saddens me to say this, but that's roughly what Mexico is like right now