Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Scared healthy and am at a loss where to begin.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I've been on again/off again with myfitnesspal for a year, mostly because I can't remember it often enough to make it a habit. Any tips on that front? I tend to get hung up thanks to Subway - I usually order lettuce, tomatoes, green peppers, olives, and light mayo on my sandwich (which this thread is making me realize I need to cut back to 6" again), but there's no real easy way to add all those condiments that I've seen so far.

In the web interface, you can add a few things as a "quick meal" which makes those sorts of custom orders easier to add, assuming you regularly eat the same sandwich. I haven't used the app much lately, but when I did I was always having homemade fruit smoothies for breakfast, so I set up a few different quick meals for the different combinations of fruit (eg: soy milk, grape, banana, blueberry, raspberry or skim milk, pomegranate, mango, banana, blackberry) that I was using.
    steam_sig.png
  • WulfWulf Registered User regular
    Loseit is a program I've been using to keep track of my calories/ exercise. Free, and you can add custom foods to it, in addition to it listing your previous meals, so if you eat something on a regular basis, adding it to your day's intake is as simple as two-three touches.
    obsidianspurwulf7ymre8.gif
  • XaquinXaquin Registered User regular
    doing good so far! Down to one cup of coffee a day as opposed to four and no sodas a day as opposed to four.

two apples for lunch as opposed to taco bell.

dinner is still pretty crappy, but only because I had all this bad food in my fridge that I didn't want to just throw away (lebanon baloney and swiss on whole wheat, why you got to be so good?).
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    two apples? that's not a good lunch, you need some protein!
    edited May 2013
    like some peanuts or something? I don't really have a good way to get chicken or fish that isn't fast food around here.

edit: maybe like deli sliced chicken?
    Xaquin on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    I eat beans like crazy. They have tons of protein and fiber and are super cheap and can be really good and oh man.

I dislike many leftover items that need to be reheated but beans really are top-tier in not tasting bad after being chilled and reheated. I usually make a lightly salted batch with a pound or so of chicken on the weekend and eat the rest during the week along with tortillas or rice.
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Try making your own sandwich and bringing it to work. 2 apples is not sustainable because it is too little. You'll just eventually get very hungry and say "fuck it, taco bell."

The best way of getting chicken or fish is to make it yourself. Here's how to get "deli" chicken from raw chicken:

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/chickenbreastrecipes/a/poachedchicken.htm
    so say, This Chicken Recipe only with poached chicken instead of sauteed in olive oil would be pretty good

cause that chicken looks darn tasty
  • DruhimDruhim Usagi's cuddlefish Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    so say, This Chicken Recipe only with poached chicken instead of sauteed in olive oil would be pretty good

cause that chicken looks darn tasty

Poaching the chicken is going to significantly change the result both in flavor and texture. Some flavor compounds are water soluble and some are fat soluble. If the recipe is built around it being sauteed then it's probably going to be pretty bland if you poach it instead. Olive oil is a pretty good fat, and chicken breast is already very lean. Some fat in your diet is good, so go ahead and follow the recipe.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Also if you poach, you won't have drippings to cook the onion and jalapeno in making it even blander.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    I keep some salsa in the fridge at work and mix it with a can of tuna. Plenty of protein and low in calories.

gamertag: Canadianllama
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    My usual workday meals go something like this:
    -Wake up at 5-6 am, usually have:
    1 cup of coffee, 1 packet of flavored oatmeal (cooked in water) with fruit (typically blueberries), 8oz glass of grapefruit juice.
    Note: Some mornings I switch the oatmeal with a single scrambled egg, a pinch of shredded cheese, in a low-calorie wrap)

-10:00 Meal
    1 bottle of water, first half of Cliff bar (lots of oats and protien)

-12:00 Break
    1 can of flavored carbonated water (0 calories, usually La Corix), 2nd half of cliff bar.

-1:00 Meal
    Naval Orange or Apple, bottle of water.

-3:30-4:00
    1 can of flavored seltzer water and a dove chocolate square.

-6:30ish
    Dinner, with whatever I cook for the night. This is my largest meal of the day, but is still pretty light usually.

-9:30ish
    DESSERT. This is typically one of the following:
    -100 calorie ice cream
    -glass of a hard liquor (Grand Mariner, Scotch, or Bourbon)
    -Veggie wrap (lowfat wrap filled with alfalfa sprouts and a tablespoon creamcheese)
    -Dove squares (no more than 3)

On the Weekends I eat fewer meals, but they tend to be larger. With one at 10:00-11:00 am (usually the largest), one at 4:00 pm, and one at 8:00 pm (the smallest). Either way, the pattern keeps me full, and is high fiber and water to keep my numbers down and my innards working smoothly.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    doing good so far! Down to one cup of coffee a day as opposed to four and no sodas a day as opposed to four.

dinner is still pretty crappy, but only because I had all this bad food in my fridge that I didn't want to just throw away (lebanon baloney and swiss on whole wheat, why you got to be so good?).

A baloney and swiss sandwich isn't inherently bad. For sandwiches, it's often the condiments that put it over the top. What are you putting on that puppy?

As for your meals overall, you're a big guy now so your hunger levels may be out of wack. My dad is around 270lbs, and one of his dieting strategies is to skip lunch entirely. He says he just doesn't get hungry for lunch, necessarily, and I believe him -- it seems that "bigger people" have an easier time skipping meals or eating off a schedule.

I'm 5'10" and 160lbs, so I'm pretty lean. If I end up going 2 hours after a normal meal time, I start to feel lightheaded and crappy. My body is expecting food, and I don't have much of a reserve for it to work from. In other words, my body would not let me eat just two apples for lunch. For you, though, how's your hunger?

Honestly, the hardest part for anyone losing weight is hunger control. The first step is to not eat when you're not hungry. The second step is to not OVEReat when you ARE hungry.

You also don't want to crash diet and harm your body. Sure, Christian Bale can subsist on coffee and apples when he's losing weight for an acting role, but it's not good for your body to lose weight super quickly, and it's much easier to yo-yo and gain all the weight back if you don't develop healthy eating habits.

So, for your lunch, you should find something that works for you, but you should look for some protein at every meal. For lunches, you have a lot of quick options -- my ex was big on tuna fish, since it's tasty and filling.

Honestly, though, if you've already dropped sodas, coffee, and lunch, at this point leave your nightly routine the same. Don't overeat to make up for dinner -- eat a normal portion of food you like. See how it goes. Don't expect to lose all your weight in a weekend, as this could be a multi-month or even multi-year ordeal. Can you see yourself eating just 2 apples for lunch for the next year, or for the rest of your life?

What worked for me was eating like someone who would weigh my goal weight would eat. I figured out the numbers from calorie counting, as there's a lot of websites that will tell you your ideal calorie consumption based on height and weight. Put in your goal weight, and see how such a person would eat, and make that your rough calorie goal. When you get to your goal weight, it should be a soft landing.
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited May 2013
    EggyToast wrote: »

A baloney and swiss sandwich isn't inherently bad. For sandwiches, it's often the condiments that put it over the top. What are you putting on that puppy?

As for your meals overall, you're a big guy now so your hunger levels may be out of wack. My dad is around 270lbs, and one of his dieting strategies is to skip lunch entirely. He says he just doesn't get hungry for lunch, necessarily, and I believe him -- it seems that "bigger people" have an easier time skipping meals or eating off a schedule.

I'm 5'10" and 160lbs, so I'm pretty lean. If I end up going 2 hours after a normal meal time, I start to feel lightheaded and crappy. My body is expecting food, and I don't have much of a reserve for it to work from. In other words, my body would not let me eat just two apples for lunch. For you, though, how's your hunger?

Honestly, the hardest part for anyone losing weight is hunger control. The first step is to not eat when you're not hungry. The second step is to not OVEReat when you ARE hungry.

You also don't want to crash diet and harm your body. Sure, Christian Bale can subsist on coffee and apples when he's losing weight for an acting role, but it's not good for your body to lose weight super quickly, and it's much easier to yo-yo and gain all the weight back if you don't develop healthy eating habits.

So, for your lunch, you should find something that works for you, but you should look for some protein at every meal. For lunches, you have a lot of quick options -- my ex was big on tuna fish, since it's tasty and filling.

Honestly, though, if you've already dropped sodas, coffee, and lunch, at this point leave your nightly routine the same. Don't overeat to make up for dinner -- eat a normal portion of food you like. See how it goes. Don't expect to lose all your weight in a weekend, as this could be a multi-month or even multi-year ordeal. Can you see yourself eating just 2 apples for lunch for the next year, or for the rest of your life?

What worked for me was eating like someone who would weigh my goal weight would eat. I figured out the numbers from calorie counting, as there's a lot of websites that will tell you your ideal calorie consumption based on height and weight. Put in your goal weight, and see how such a person would eat, and make that your rough calorie goal. When you get to your goal weight, it should be a soft landing.

light mayo., dijon mustard, and ground black pepper

and I was going to mix it up, I just happened to buy a bag of apples at the farmers market =)
    Xaquin on
    I would advise against skipping meals. There's considerable evidence that eating fewer large meals causes more problems with the hormones that control blood glucose levels and along with being overweight, can increase risk for diabetes among other things. Don't let yourself go hungry, but instead if possible just eat smaller amounts more frequently as long as you can keep it a healthy mix of carbs, protein, fat, and fiber. As far as sandwiches, I don't know how financially feasible it is for you but generally the mass produced bread has sugar added (often HFCS or sometimes cane sugar). If you can get and afford locally produced bread that doesn't have the added sugar like a nice como loaf, it's going to have a much better texture and flavor (but will also be more expensive) without the added sugar/carbs. Or you could substitute tortillas and make a wrap instead of a sandwich. Not saying you should get rid of carbs. Carbs are good and necessary, in moderate amounts. But your typical loaf of American sandwich bread has quite a bit of sugar added. If you stop eating it for a while, you actually notice that the bread tastes oddly too sweet (for sandwich bread) since you're no longer acclimated to it.

Just some thoughts, but I realize that budget/location may be a problem for some of these options.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    sadly, the only place that has fresh bread near me is Panera and I kind of doubt they're very healthy .... I know they aren't cheap.

Maybe down the road when I have some spare monies I'll look into a bread maker or something (is that what they're called?)
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Wrath Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah a serving of chips is like... 16 or so.

Most people suck down half a bag of the family size doritos for an extra 800 calories into their diet, them top it off with 2 cans of mt dew for another 500. That's almost the basal metabolic rate for the human body at rest.

So uh, you'd have to eat 0 other things to maintain your weight with that kind of eating habit, if you did no physical activity.
    A big point I've learned while getting healthier is that cooking goes a long way.

You can make all that stuff you love for much, much lower calories/fat/salt.

I just started cooking my own tortilla chips and my fiancee straight up told me that we were never buying storebought chips again.

Learn to love cooking (minimize the chesses, though it is tough, I know) and you will go far.

You should eat dinner like an old person, around 6 PM.

You can have a snack before bed, even! A small bowl of protein-enhanced cereal with 0% milk will kick start your metabolism for the next day!

Basically, there are no real hard or fast rules. As long as you are consistent and only cheat once (ish) a week, you will become much healthier.

sigvf.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Tricking yourself into thinking you are eating more also helps.

Cut that apple into small squares next time and maybe put a sprinkle of cinnamon on it.

One apple will fill up an entire paper plate with apple cubes.

Eat with fork.

Eating slower in general is a good idea.

Note: An apple is a good snack, not lunch. Lunch is the meal you want to eat the most at, imo. Big lunch, small dinner. Small snack before bed.
    TehSpectre on
    sigvf.jpg
    sadly, the only place that has fresh bread near me is Panera and I kind of doubt they're very healthy .... I know they aren't cheap.

Supermarkets have a range of bread, some better than others. The trick is to stand in the aisle and read labels until you find the one that doesn't have some sort of sugar listed.
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i thought breakfast was supposed to be your biggest meal? i've never been able to do that though...
    wow, I just looked up healthy bread recipes and it looks like you need some $10-$15 worth of ingredients just to get off the ground

I'll keep on buying my Arnold (or whatever) whole grain for $3 lol
  • RderdallRderdall Registered User regular
    wow, I just looked up healthy bread recipes and it looks like you need some $10-$15 worth of ingredients just to get off the ground

I'll keep on buying my Arnold (or whatever) whole grain for $3 lol

The difference though, is that with the ingredients you buy, you will be able to make multiple loaves of bread.
    steam_sig.png

Xbox Gamertag: GAMB1NO325Xi
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

Maybe down the road when I have some spare monies I'll look into a bread maker or something (is that what they're called?)

@Moriveth might be able to help you out with good recipes for bread, I know he was experimenting.
    Baking your own bread is a bit extreme, I think.

Just eat low calorie, wheat bread or the sandwich slims that I've seen around.
    sigvf.jpg
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    Baking your own bread is a bit extreme, I think.

Just eat low calorie, wheat bread or the sandwich slims that I've seen around.

yeah, looks like it takes forever to make too
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I see a lot of diet help, but I'm just going to say, hit the gym.

Your goal should not be fat -> skinny.
    Your goal should be fat -> muscular athlete.
    Think Olympic gymnast, swimmer, or decathlete.

Aka, lose the belly, but get strong in the process.

It takes a long time to lose the fat, it takes a long time to get strong, but coincidentally, you can do both at the same time, and getting strong actually accelerates fat loss.

Can't afford a gym membership? Do body weight workouts at a local park.
    http://www.barstarzz.com/
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    EggyToast wrote: »

light mayo., dijon mustard, and ground black pepper

and I was going to mix it up, I just happened to buy a bag of apples at the farmers market =)

How do you feel about Dijonnaise? Check this out:

Calories in 1 tbsp light mayo: 50
    Calories in 1 tbsp dijonnaise: 15!

By switching to dijonnaise, which would taste essentially just like what you're using now, you'd save 35 calories per tablespoon. It adds up!

And the apple thing is great! Just don't forget the proteins. Honestly, the sandwich thing is probably not that big of a deal -- just read the calorie and ingredient information on your breads. Think of it this way -- if you get breads that don't use sugar, you can eat more of them for the same calories. That helps with hunger and it also makes your meals feel less sad. You can always see what the ingredients are by looking at the nutrition facts. For example, Arnolds breads don't use HFCS or added sugars and are widely available (and nice, sandwich sized slices, too!).
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    yeah, looks like it takes forever to make too

Baking your own bread is fun and delicious (whether with a bread maker or not.) However it is a lot of effort and not really worth it from a nutritional standpoint, although it does impress people.

An important part of learning to eat healthy is to learn how to get the most benefit from the least effort. For instance I often use pre-prepared sauces and foods, and add a tonne of fresh vegetables. It's not the same as being a total earth mother and cooking everything from scratch, but it gets a lot of vegetables in us at a reasonable price and timescale.

I really like this website for simple healthy recipes:

http://www.eatingwell.com/
    I think each person really needs to decide what "too much time" is when it comes to cooking. If someone thinks anything over 15 minutes of active work is too long for dinner, that's fine. But at the same time I think it's misguided to assume that everyone is in that much of a hurry or that averse to taking time to cook, so I think the key is figure out for yourself how much time you're willing to invest in a weeknight meal, but don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone and do something that takes longer. You may end up deciding it's totally worth a little extra time, plus with practice the process goes faster. You don't have to choose one extreme or the other. Figure out what works for you while still being healthy.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Just some info on Panera:

Their normal loaves, like the baguettes and wheat, are solid bakery breads and pretty cheap (about 2-3 bucks per loaf). They have absolutely no preservatives, though. So if you buy one you will need to freeze it quickly or it will go hard as a rock on you quite swiftly. Health-wise, they are pretty comparable with other reasonable calorie breads.

Things like their Tomato Basil loaf or their focaccia breads are extremely fatty (loaded up with so much olive oil and sugar, you would not believe). Avoid these.

Bagels as a bread option are handy... but also fairly bad for you as far as bread goes. A nice Naan or baguette is usually a better option simply because it is easier to ensure you are getting an appropriate portioning... and also because they are so versatile!
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    You'd be surprised at how much you can do for yourself by simply cutting HFCS out of your life. Doing that alone cut my waist size down by 1 without making any other significant changes to my diet. Something to consider.

Oh, and that Arnold bread you love so much? Sugar. Lots of sugar.
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Bahhhstahn MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Hi there, as someone who's stopped and started healthy eating habits (and have recently had them stick much better this time), I'm going to give you some advice that may be a bit nontraditional, and maybe only work for me.

1. Tell people / Don't tell people you're on a diet, regardless, don't listen to anything they say - Before, when I would start to diet it would seem EVERY food I enjoyed that I thought was better for me than what I was used to eating, had some horrible thing wrong with it. Grilled Chicken had salmonella, Fish had too much sodium, Sushi had too much Mercury, etc, etc - Don't listen to them. If you know what you're eating is leaps and bounds better than what you're used too, keep eating it. I have a relatively simple system of Spinach Salad / Grilled Chicken / Pop Chips that keeps me about 600 calories under 2000.

2. My fitness Pal App - my big thing was that I never, truly, realized how many calories were in my Wendy's fast-food meals. 1600 calories for a sandwhich, a soda, and fries. That was ONE meal. Fitness pal lets you scan the stuff you buy, or type it in, and it gives you a good idea of what you're eating in a given day. I used it religiously through about 6 weeks and have lost to date about 16-20 pounds, and have a FAR better eye for what's good and bad for me, food wise.

3. Losing a battle is not losing the war. You're gonna be hungover some day and want the greasiest thing on the BK menu. You'll give in, feel guilty, and want to kick a small animal (don't!). But the important thing is getting back on the horse. You'll have good days and bad days, the important thing is that you're better than you were on average.

4. Football / Hacky Sack / Soccer - find some sort of physical activity you enjoy. Currently I'm taping hard-drives together and doing Jumping Jacks with them.

5. Mio! - I drink like 70 percent more water now, and flavor it with "Mio: Fit" which has a bunch of vitamins and Electrolytes, which I assume are good for you.

6. Multivitamin, All Day Energy Greens. This could be just a *me* thing, but I used to get pretty bad migraines, and after switching my diet and using these All Day Energy Green things, I've had fewer and fewer, and tend to have more energy. Also starting your day with a big class of water never hurt anyone.

I can't say this is perfect advice, but it works for me, so far. I don't think I'm going to fall off the wagon tooo badly, and while my intake is down, my actual exercise is fairly low, and I'm not perfect. But, you won't be either, but, being "better" is better than nothing. :)
    GT: NotMeekin
    Tweeter: @MeekinOnMovies
    FB: Facebook.com/MeekinOnMovies
    Akilae wrote: »
    You'd be surprised at how much you can do for yourself by simply cutting HFCS out of your life. Doing that alone cut my waist size down by 1 without making any other significant changes to my diet. Something to consider.

Oh, and that Arnold bread you love so much? Sugar. Lots of sugar.

damn it!

they trick me by putting oats or something on the crust =/
    Always look at the ingredients.

ALWAYS
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    It's a good automatic assumption that anything you like eating and is prepared/pre-packaged will have lots of either sugar or salt.

Once you cut out prepared/pre-packaged foods, anything you cook on your own is typically better overall for your health and your weight. There is nothing wrong with an olive oil saute. Poached chicken? Horror of horrors! Cook that sucker with the respect it deserves! Throw on a dash of salt and some herbs! Drizzle on the olive oil! It will still be a much better choice than anything you get outside.

Your lunch of two apples also seems too light. If you have a choice, eat a heftier breakfast/lunch and a lighter dinner. Load up your breakfast with stuff like fruit and yogurt, even eggs if you fancy them, and have more proteins for your lunch rather than carbs. The rationale is that you are more active during the day, so your body will burn off the calories you consume. Towards the evening is when our bodies are the least active, so eat less overall.

Start paying attention to serving sizes. The first time I realized the recommended serving size for pasta was 2 ounces... 2 ounces! I was shocked. After a period of trying it out, I came to see that 2 ounces of pasta, with sauce and all other dressings/vegetables, actually creates a feeling of overall fullness without being bloated. You can even have a glass or two of wine without feeling guilty. Anything over 2 ounces of pasta and you're consuming too much pasta in one sitting.
    You can assume, or you can look at the ingredients and make an informed choice along with also cooking more of your own food.
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AresProphetAresProphet giggle and the flames grow higher Registered User regular
    Also, if you get the bread that your grocery store bakes in the bakery department it's usually a safe bet, but finding one that actually does this as opposed to shipping them en masse pre-made is tricky. It'll go stale/moldy fairly fast if you don't eat a lot of it (which you shouldn't) but I have good luck just keeping it tightly wrapped in the fridge.
    no more need for the old empire
    when the indigo children come
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'll just poke my nose in here a little bit as fitness has become something I've put a lot of effort into in the last few years so I'll try to impart some of my wisdom.

First and foremost, everyone's physiology is different. What works for someone may not work for you. You will probably try a million different things before you find something that helps achieve your goals and a million more before you find something that achieves you goals and you actually like doing. Don't get discouraged, and don't give up!

It also helps tremendously (I've found) to have specific goals. Like currently my overall goal is 'build strength' but that is a blanket goal that I can break down into very specific sub-goals like 'bench press 1.5x my body weight' or 'deadlift 2x my body weight'.

Trying to eat right is a very good start and if you can manage that then your other goals will be cake since eating well takes a tremendous amount of discipline. Even little changes can have drastic effects. I know you mentioned cutting out soda and holy shit that's huge (assuming it was sugared soda) and you should be seeing positive results from that fairly quickly.

Lastly I really want to suggest taking up weight lifting, even if the weight is just your own body like doing squats, pushups, dips, etc. Don't be worried about bulking. The worst that's going to happen is that huge area that is taken up by your gut and ass is going to migrate north into your arms, chest, and shoulders.

You will have to buy all new shirts though.

EDIT: Also take a picture of yourself in the mirror (no duckface) every day. At the end of the month compare the first and last day and feel really fucking great about yourself. That's great motivation right there.
    Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN: Dr_Keenbean LIVE: Dr Keenbean steam_sig.png