Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Prime] Beer Exchange - Looking for a room to meet in

SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in PAX Prime
Hey all!

This is a thread for all you beer junkies.

It was brought up in the Schlitzkrieg thread. that someone should organize a beer exchange.

What's a beer exchange you ask?
Well here's what I envision it being: since there are a lot of people coming from out of city/state/country/universe, PAX represents a lot of different regions all coming together in one place. With different regions comes different regional beers!
The beer exchange would be an event where everyone could meet up and swap/try out beers from other places.
Everyone who attends would be required to bring a bottle(or 6 pack) to swap.
However many you bring is however many you take. (i.e. you bring 6 of a local beer from your region, and take 6 different ones back from other regions)
This is obviously meant to be regional only so that goes without saying, no national beers (Budweiser, Coors, Heineken, Corona etc.)
Try and pick a local beer from your area,

I was originally going to offer up my hotel room where this could happen but my room-mates would prefer if I didn't. So first we need to find a place to do this.

Let me know what you guys think!

P.S. I see this possibly being a popular event so if it turns out we need to limit the numbers, we'll have to figure something out. Probably just the first ## of people who say they'd like to attend.
Serenity on

• edgeofbladeedgeofblade 3rd Degree Leather Belt, Reversible Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Homebrew.

Homebrew!

Homebrew?

{Yes, I'm a new kind of Pokemon. Why do you ask?}
    PAX Prime 2013 - 4x1 day passes - check, hotel - check, flight - check,
    freezing myself under a snowy avalanche and digging me out in time for PAX - chhhhhhhhhheck

PAX Prime: 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012
    Omeganaut: 2012
    TWDT 2013: ???
  • RhileyRhiley Registered User regular
    Hah I had a draft saved for posting a thread like this but never had time to finish it. I was trying to find byob restaurants or something similar to use as possible locations but it does not look like Seattle really does byob.

I feel sorry for everyone that is not from Wisconsin since you do not get to experience the fine products from New Glarus Brewing company . I have already bought a few carrying bags to pack some beer up in my luggage in anticipation of this event, so count me in.
    steam_sig.png
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Rhiley wrote: »
    Hah I had a draft saved for posting a thread like this but never had time to finish it. I was trying to find byob restaurants or something similar to use as possible locations but it does not look like Seattle really does byob.

I feel sorry for everyone that is not from Wisconsin since you do not get to experience the fine products from New Glarus Brewing company . I have already bought a few carrying bags to pack some beer up in my luggage in anticipation of this event, so count me in.

Hmm yeah location is really the first thing we need to figure out.
    Not sure there are any publicly available place where
    1) This sort of thing would be allowed
    2) Could be semi-closed off from the general public.

Any Seattle locals know?
  • ratzofftoyaratzofftoya Registered User regular
    Can we make requests? There's some stuff I love from my time on the east coast that we just don't get out here in the Bay Area.
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade 3rd Degree Leather Belt, Reversible Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Homebrew.

Homebrew!

Homebrew?

Yeah, to be more direct and less cute, is homebrew welcome at this gathering? My read of the WA homebrewing laws seems to indicate this is fine, legally. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/washington
    edgeofblade on
    freezing myself under a snowy avalanche and digging me out in time for PAX - chhhhhhhhhheck

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    If you can find someone with a hotel room close by, that's your best bet for a location. Seattle doesn't have any BYOB restaurants, but we have the other way around: beer bars that let you bring in your own food, which is AWESOME. We had mixed success with doing this in a public place at PAX East, so a private room is a really good idea.

In a serious pinch if nobody comes forward between now and August, I've got a location you can use in Ballard. From the con, it would be a 15-20 min bus ride + 3 block walk.

Oh yeah, and Washington loves its homebrew.
    If you're not part of the Cookie Brigade, you're doing it wrong.

Looking for fun stuff to do before and after PAX? Here's a handy PAX Event Sticky!

Check out www.feastygeeks.blogspot.com for your geek, game and meme recipe needs.
  • EnpassantEnpassant SeattleRegistered User new member
    I have a strange feeling that something like this won't end well for my liver
    edited May 2013
    Can we make requests? There's some stuff I love from my time on the east coast that we just don't get out here in the Bay Area.

Sure, I don't see why not. You never know if someone is able to provide.
    Homebrew.

Homebrew!

Homebrew?

Yeah, to be more direct and less cute, is homebrew welcome at this gathering? My read of the WA homebrewing laws seems to indicate this is fine, legally. http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/statutes/washington

Sure! Anything regional really...
    If you can find someone with a hotel room close by, that's your best bet for a location. Seattle doesn't have any BYOB restaurants, but we have the other way around: beer bars that let you bring in your own food, which is AWESOME. We had mixed success with doing this in a public place at PAX East, so a private room is a really good idea.

In a serious pinch if nobody comes forward between now and August, I've got a location you can use in Ballard. From the con, it would be a 15-20 min bus ride + 3 block walk.

Oh yeah, and Washington loves its homebrew.

Ok thanks Lex, hopefully someone else will come through and offer up their room.
    If not maybe I can convince my roomies that this is a good idea (we'd get the leftovers!)

Enpassant wrote: »
    I have a strange feeling that something like this won't end well for my liver

Well the idea isn't necessarily to crack it open right away but whatever goes I guess.

I'm intending this to be a super casual event so nothing's set in stone.
    If people want to hang around and chat, that'd be fine.
    If people want to trade and GTFO that's totally cool too.
    Serenity on
  • TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    I don't have a room to offer up (mine would be way too small), but I would definitely bring a six pack or two of Dick's.
    TeganJ wrote: »
    I would definitely bring a six pack or two of Dick's.

Their Cream Stout is outrageously good.

Looking for fun stuff to do before and after PAX? Here's a handy PAX Event Sticky!

Check out www.feastygeeks.blogspot.com for your geek, game and meme recipe needs.
  • BrandobarisBrandobaris SeattleRegistered User new member
    As far as the logistics of liquor licensing goes, this is the website to check out. http://www.liq.wa.gov/licensing/banquet-permits

In a nut shell, if it's a private event and no one will be charged anything, then no license is required. If it's private and there will be a charge to cover a rental space and/or food, than a $10 banquet license is needed.

It's a great idea and I'm in for it.
  • cbelleviecbellevie Registered User regular
    Sounds like I might need to find someone to watch my son for a bit that weekend... definitely interested.
    As far as the logistics of liquor licensing goes, this is the website to check out. http://www.liq.wa.gov/licensing/banquet-permits

In a nut shell, if it's a private event and no one will be charged anything, then no license is required. If it's private and there will be a charge to cover a rental space and/or food, than a $10 banquet license is needed.

It's a great idea and I'm in for it.

I was thinking WAY more casual than this.
    Nobody's going to get paid so it's really just a 'friend' get-together. I don't now about Seattle but in Vancouver you're fine without any sort of license.
  • TeganJTeganJ Puget SoundRegistered User regular
    Not that anyone would know their room numbers until they check in, but a few rooms next to or near each other in the same hotel would probably be the simplest/most casual way to do it. Can't really plan for that, though.
    I'm really looking forward to this. I'll bring some Houston beer. I'm sure I still have some of last year's Christmas Ale from Saint Arnolds aging in the "cellar". This old ale is fantastically smooth and malty between 6 and 12 months.

• Kaoken00Kaoken00 Registered User regular
    I guess I'll bring Shiner Bock to represent Texas.
  • KodiSirKodiSir SeattleRegistered User regular
    This is an amazing idea! Being in Seattle I can't offer anything you probably couldn't get already while you're here but I'd love to get involved.
    Kaoken00 wrote: »
    I guess I'll bring Shiner Bock to represent Texas.

If you must bring a Shiner, bring Wild Hare pale. That hoppiness is lost on most people around here.

Or the Ruby Redbird.

edited May 2013
    Hmm I wasn't going to request anything but now that you mention it, I would LOVE if someone would bring some Elysian.
    There's a beer importer in Vancouver that sells some of their brews but not all.
    One off of their site that particularly intrigues me is their SuperFuzz Blood Orange Ale or their Avatar Jasmine IPA

Edit: I just realized their brewery is extremely local so I might actually just pay them a visit. Or maybe on the beer tour?
    Serenity on
    Serenity wrote: »
    Hmm I wasn't going to request anything but now that you mention it, I would LOVE if someone would bring some Elysian.
    There's a beer importer in Vancouver that sells some of their brews but not all.
    One off of their site that particularly intrigues me is their SuperFuzz Blood Orange Ale or their Avatar Jasmine IPA

Edit: I just realized their brewery is extremely local so I might actually just pay them a visit. Or maybe on the beer tour?

You can get their beers at most local stores. All the bottle shops will carry their beers too. The Cap Hill (flagship location) is right by the PPD and TWDT route, about a dozen block walk from the Con.

I have a room in the Westin that we might be able to use, but some Westins require a key card for elevator access so it might not be the best option.
    steam_sig.png
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Registered User regular
    I will have to talk to the hubby, but we may be in on this. Will have to see what the local brewery is serving up too.
  • EvilGreenDevilEvilGreenDevil Baltimore, MDRegistered User new member
    New to the forum and to PAX. Figured this thread is a great spot to make my first post. COUNT ME IN!
  • DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    i wouldn't mind join in on this. always like trying out new beers.
  • jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Registered User regular
    This looks like a really fun idea but I'm a little concerned about flying with beer. Does anybody have any tips on how to get some beer across the country?
    edited May 2013
    Homebrewer, here. Not really as hard as it sounds. You almost certainly have to check your bag, though. Just pack it well, with bubble mailers for example, and it shouldn't cause any problems.

Internationally is completely another story, though.

Here's an article from HomeBrewTalk that covers this subject pretty well: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/transporting-beer-airplane-89799/
    edgeofblade on

• pewx3pewx3 Eugene, ORRegistered User new member
    I'll talk things over with my roomies and see if they are down with this. Regardless, i'd love to participate and seeing as how i'm coming from Oregon I have tons of options when it comes to picking stuff to bring.
    edited May 2013
    I plan on bringing mainly bottles in some padded jet bag wine carriers, but as many people probably know a lot of craft breweries have started selling cans. If you have limited space in your checked baggage you may want to look into those options from your local breweries too. I am thinking about bringing at least one of these tea infused beers cans if anyone wants to try one.
    zerzhul on
    steam_sig.png
    Rhiley wrote: »
    I plan on bringing mainly bottles in some padded jet bag wine carriers, but as many people probably know a lot of craft breweries have started selling cans. If you have limited space in your checked baggage you may want to look into those options from your local breweries too. I am thinking about bringing at least one of these tea infused beers cans if anyone wants to try one.

Cans are the shiz. I'm sure I'll have someone cornered uncomfortably while I extol the virtues of canned beer during this event.

The only concern with moving beer cross-country is that cans are more susceptible to crushing in transit. Glass, while breakable, is actually quite sturdy for the purpose of containing beer, as long as it's not rubbing up against other glass.