Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Looking for a new Fantasy Book to read.

2»

• mtsmts Registered User regular
    honestly if he he didn't liek the malazan books i doubt he will like black company
    camo_sig.png
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    I didn't enjoy Malazan because I felt it spent more time browbeating me with terminology for world building rather than offering compelling characters or story. What characters were in there I enjoyed, but if felt to me like I would only actually see them for a paragraph or two between descriptions of some PLOT MACGUFFIN or SETTING STRANGE THING that dominated every chapter.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
  • mtsmts Registered User regular
    how many books did you get through? he brings people back around and fills in holes etc later on in the series. there is some huge character development but not particularly in the first couple, and it doesn't help that it jumps to all new characters in the second and third. but if you stick with it, he does come around and there is some great development and you get attached to people.
    camo_sig.png
  • RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    Seconding...well, almost everything that was suggested. I'll dig deep into the obscure fantasy I've read and recommend "The Wayfarer Redemption" by Sara Douglass. Weird books but some pretty good twists and turns, and a lot of wacky, weird, and overall creepy fantasy. Certainly not the best books I've read, but those have all already been mentioned. Also, Orson Scott Card has a fantasy series called "The Tales of Alvin Maker". There's some bad things to say about it, but I still feel like there's a lot of good.
  • badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    Seconding Michael J. Sullivan's Riyria (Theft of Swords, etc.) series.

Add in David Dalglish's Paladins (available as an omnibus of 4 books) and Half-Orc series (available as an omnibus but not in electronic format omnibus - the separate books are about $3.00 a piece and the first book is usually free). Paladins is good fun, Half-Orc has you hating some of the characters and their motivations are pretty strange.

Joe Ambercrombies' First Law series and the solo books, as well.

I'll also second the Mazalan disliked. Made it through three books, couldn't stomach any more.
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Lots of good recommendations here.

I'll add a recommendation for the Gormenghast Trilogy, by Mervyn Peake. These books are very dark and very Gothic. It may be a little hard to look past the very slow pace, but the writing is phenomenal. A lot of fun fantasy books you can forgive some lackluster writing because the story is so fun, but Peake's writing is like poetry. His characters are incredibly deep, and his imagery is astounding. He has some self-drawn illustrations here and there throughout the books, and it's amazing to see an illustration of a character that matches what your minds eye created from his descriptions down to the very smallest wrinkle. The trilogy can be purchased as a single book compilation.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Twenty-one replies and not a single person mentions the Discworld Series by Sir Terry Pratchett?

It's fantastic, fun, totals (at the moment) 39 books, and you don't even need to read all of them if you don't want to. Do you want police procedural in your fantasy? Discworld has that. Do you want witches and wizards? Discworld has that. Do you want an increasingly dark tale about a young woman coming to terms with a world becoming increasingly uneasy with her phenomenal ability? Discworld has that. Do you want to read about a con man who is offered the choice between the hangman and running a post office and seriously considers the former? Discworld has that.

It's one of the best series I have ever read and I have read almost every single one of them. Personally, I would start with "Guards! Guards!" and continue with the rest of the "City Watch" subset of novels. They're great. Night Watch is bloody fantastic.

You may be thinking:
    "40 books?? I'll never get through 40 books!"

But don't even worry about it, they aren't sequential. Discworld reading order chart:
    the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

I've only read a few Rincewind novels and Equal Rites, and I was going to to recommend it based on them.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Twenty-one replies and not a single person mentions the Discworld Series by Sir Terry Pratchett?

It's fantastic, fun, totals (at the moment) 39 books, and you don't even need to read all of them if you don't want to. Do you want police procedural in your fantasy? Discworld has that. Do you want witches and wizards? Discworld has that. Do you want an increasingly dark tale about a young woman coming to terms with a world becoming increasingly uneasy with her phenomenal ability? Discworld has that. Do you want to read about a con man who is offered the choice between the hangman and running a post office and seriously considers the former? Discworld has that.

It's one of the best series I have ever read and I have read almost every single one of them. Personally, I would start with "Guards! Guards!" and continue with the rest of the "City Watch" subset of novels. They're great. Night Watch is bloody fantastic.

You may be thinking:

But don't even worry about it, they aren't sequential. Discworld reading order chart:

I've only read a few Rincewind novels and Equal Rites, and I was going to to recommend it based on them.

Oooh, you really need to read the others. In my opinion the Ricnewind books are the weakest of the Discworld cannon, with maybe the exception being Interesting Times and Sourcery.

Plus, I Shall Wear Midnight has an Esk cameo, her first appearance since Equal Rites.
    Steam ID: DoctorArch Xbox Live: DoctorArch
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    Seconding...well, almost everything that was suggested. I'll dig deep into the obscure fantasy I've read and recommend "The Wayfarer Redemption" by Sara Douglass. Weird books but some pretty good twists and turns, and a lot of wacky, weird, and overall creepy fantasy. Certainly not the best books I've read, but those have all already been mentioned. Also, Orson Scott Card has a fantasy series called "The Tales of Alvin Maker". There's some bad things to say about it, but I still feel like there's a lot of good.

Card is also a militant disgusting, vile bigot.
    I play games on ps3. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
    Enc, have you read Pillars of the Earth? It's not truly fantasy, more like historical fiction, but based on your likes/dislikes I bet you'd love it.
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Enc, have you read Pillars of the Earth? It's not truly fantasy, more like historical fiction, but based on your likes/dislikes I bet you'd love it.

It looks really interesting! I may bump that up to next after the First Law books.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    There's also a pretty decent miniseries for Pillars on Netflix. (I say this having not read it)
    Automata-Sg.png
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger Registered User regular
    I enjoyed Abercrombie's The Blade Itself trilogy. It is sort of obviously a pastiche of western Europe, with totally not Germany, totally not England, totally not the Vikings, etc, but it was fun. Abercrombie does a few obnoxious phrases he sort of runs into the ground in an attempt to create a voice for some of his characters.
    I play games on ps3. My PSN is DouglasDanger.
  • illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I'll add a recommendation for the Gormenghast Trilogy, by Mervyn Peake. These books are very dark and very Gothic. It may be a little hard to look past the very slow pace, but the writing is phenomenal. A lot of fun fantasy books you can forgive some lackluster writing because the story is so fun, but Peake's writing is like poetry. His characters are incredibly deep, and his imagery is astounding. He has some self-drawn illustrations here and there throughout the books, and it's amazing to see an illustration of a character that matches what your minds eye created from his descriptions down to the very smallest wrinkle. The trilogy can be purchased as a single book compilation.

I was actually thinking about recommending this as well. This is a lot older than some of the other series mentioned, but it's truly fantastic. It's sort of like a combination of Lewis Carroll and Edgar Allan Poe. The first two books have the distinction of being among the few I could stand to read entirely aloud to my then-infant daughter - the writing is that good.

Definitely some winners mentioned here, I think one I might add that hasn't been mentioned is Naomi Novik's Temeraire series - first one is "His Majesty's Dragon." Good quick reads, interesting world theory.
    illirica on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular

You may be thinking:

Oooh, you really need to read the others. In my opinion the Ricnewind books are the weakest of the Discworld cannon, with maybe the exception being Interesting Times and Sourcery.

Plus, I Shall Wear Midnight has an Esk cameo, her first appearance since Equal Rites.

I was like this, I enjoyed Rincewind and his adventures...I think the witch books i may have started reading one of them then gotten irritated that Rincewind wasnt in it, so stopped.

Recently ive gone back and read through the watch series and the death books...The Watch books are really really good, i want more of them post haste.

illirica wrote: »
    Definitely some winners mentioned here, I think one I might add that hasn't been mentioned is Naomi Novik's Temeraire series - first one is "His Majesty's Dragon." Good quick reads, interesting world theory.

I'll second that one. Napoleonic War historical fiction.... if there had been dragons.

It also has the advantage of being a series with a book 1 that entirely stands on its own, so you don't feel like you have to commit to the whole slog just to see if it's your cup of tea.
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular

You really need to be in the right frame of mind for Peake, though. Here's a guy who is totally fine with spending 2-3 pages of closely written description of a new character. Yes he's poetic and lyrical, and he writes with a hallucinagenic intensity, but there's a fuck of a lot of writing to get through to get to the story.

Basically, if you read Strange & Norrel and thought, damb this was pretty good but there should be more discursiveness and description and general writing, then Gormenghast is amazing.

• HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Jeez, I'm super late to this but I would have said that if you didn't like Donaldson then you probably wouldn't like the Abercrombie books.

Based on the things you said you liked, I would agree with people that recommended David Eddings, Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos books, the Deed of Paksenarrion books by Moon, the Lies of Locke Lamora, and I'd also throw in potentially Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, although that would be a little more outside of what you mentioned in your original post.

Oh, and you might also like "Heroes Die" by Stover.
    Hypatia on