Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Twilight Struggle] Game 3 - Tear Down This Wall or We Will Bury You

13»

• CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    Arab-Israeli War for Ops, 1 in Lebanon, 2 in Jordan. Event occurs after.
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    This event will be resolved, new hands will be dealt and a map update will go out later tonight.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    arab-israeli-war.jpg
    The State of Israel was virtually born of war. After the end of the British mandate, Israel was thrust into conflict with its Arab neighbors. Israel prevailed in all such wars, excepting its invasion of Lebanon in 1982, from which it ultimately had to withdraw. Arab success was nearly achieved during the surprise attacks of the Yom Kippur War, however these too ultimately failed. While superpower intervention was frequently threatened on both sides, ultimately success or failure in the conflicts rode upon the relative capabilities of Arab and Israeli militaries.

US influence placed.

Die-roll modifier: -2
    Soviet Die = [3] - Failure!
    Israel wins Arab-Israeli War.
    Soviet Military Ops already at 5.

End of Turn Bookkeeping:
    No Scoring Cards were held
    USA did not perform required Military Operations, and is penalized 2 VPs
    Current Score: USA 1
    Military Ops reset to 0
    DEFCON Improves to 3

Turn 2 (Truman) Begins!

Current Map:
    R40HuhR.jpg?1

New hands are going out. Each team should PM me their choice of Headline event.
    Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
  • XiVXiV Registered User regular
    I thought US has played at least 5 ops, from NORAD and Arab-Israeli war from what I see?
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Do you desire the POWER? Giant Mecha SuitRegistered User regular
    The Arab Israeli war only gives the soviet player military ops. NORAD doesn't give any.
    XiV wrote: »
    I thought US has played at least 5 ops, from NORAD and Arab-Israeli war from what I see?
    Military Ops are different from 'regular' Ops.
    Any card can be played for Ops, which allows the player to place influence, try to advance in the space race or attempt Coups or Realignments.

If a superpower attempts a coup, they get Mil Ops equal to the Ops value of the card used for the coup attempt (whether successful or not). A superpower can also earn Mil Ops VIA War cards.

If at the end of a turn a superpower's Mil Ops are greater than the current DEFCON level, they suffer a VP penalty equal to the difference.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    Also: last night my home computer started making some ... troubling noises. It's possible that my 8+ year-old hard drive is finally ready to give up the ghost.

I'll be backing everything up tonight and bringing my machine in to the shop tomorrow to see what's what, but there may be some delay in getting updates.

Please don't let that stop you from choosing your Headlines and planning your first moves, however.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    If at the end of a turn a superpower's Mil Ops are greater than the current DEFCON level, they suffer a VP penalty equal to the difference.

Almost. If at the end of the turn, their Mil Ops are LESS than the current DEFCON level, they suffer a VP penalty equal to the difference.
    faranguzps2bcfb917.png
    SO THERE I WAS BEING FARANGU

AND THEN BURNAGE CAME UP TO ME AND SAID "HEY FARANGU, HOW ABOUT LETTING THE MAFIA WIN THIS TIME?"

AND I SAID "FUCK YOU I'M FARANGU"

AND THEN HE SAID "WHAT ABOUT MAKING THE VILLAGE LESS POWERFUL?"

AND I SAID "FUCK YOU I'M FARANGU"

AND THEN I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF PHALLAS

I LOVE MY LIFE.
    You’re right; Mil Ops starts at 0.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    Turn 2 (Truman) Headline Phase

American Headline has the higher Ops Value and resolves first:

defectors.jpg
    Preceding the start of the Cold War, citizens of the Eastern bloc fled or defected to the West. Defectors came in two primary archetypes. Spies and double agents who had been discovered or needed to “come in from the cold” would frequently flee to their masters and allude capture. Examples of this type of defector include KGB Deputy Chief Yuri Nosenko and KGB London Bureau Chief Oleg Gordievsky. Perhaps more embarassingly, and certainly more publicly, many talented Soviet artists defected while on tour in the United States or Europe. While the West also suffered occasional defections, particularly from westerners involved in espionage, it never reached the same proportion or the same level of public spectacle.

Which cancels ...

nasser.jpg
    One of the giants in the Pan-Arab movement, Gamal Abdel Nasser rose to power through military coup. Attempting to steer an independent course during the Cold War, he provoked western governments by accepting Soviet aid, and nationalizing commercial property—the Suez Canal being the most prominent example. Egypt, under his leadership, was viewed as a Soviet client, and would serve as a Russian proxy during repeated wars with Israel. He died in office after 18 years of service, having frustrated the attempts of a variety of domestic and international enemies.

NASSER BETRAYED!

Soviet Headline card goes to the discard pile.
    Headline Phase resolved.

Current Map:
    R40HuhR.jpg?1

Soviet Action Round 1 @Capfalcon @Korsakovia

Currently Playing:
    Skyrim