Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[PA Comic] Friday, May 10, 2013 - Malefactor

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• TAFKAPTAFKAP Warrior-Jumper Registered User regular
    "logged in.

[/Retroactive nerd-rage]
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I am only half way through the pitch video.

Hook it to my veins now please.
    TingleSigBar.gif
    WiiU: JamWarrior
  • Seanny_CrowSeanny_Crow Registered User new member
    Where are we gonna squirel those gems?
  • Seanny_CrowSeanny_Crow Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Where are we gonna squirel those gems?

edit: "In doubt, hit twice" orc proverb, sorry for double posting
    Seanny_Crow on
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    I haven't touched card games since I was a kid. As soon as digital forms of card games started to show up it just seemed weird to me.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I can't express how glad I am that a lot of SHITTY digital ccg's came out already. I got burned by things which I was dubious about anyway, and I have learned some lessons about this market.

If it weren't for several games that I felt I'd wasted $20 on, I'd probably be losing hundreds of dollars to this thing. But now when I look at his game, it has a familiar haze of chicanery.
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA, SolidSaints Tube admin
    I wonder if this was a child's play auction comic.
    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Be advised: The situation is butt. Over. Seriously, it's way fucked.Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

I was wondering the same thing. It isn't often a person gets immortalized in the strip in a positive light like that, unless they're an awesome CP auction winner.
    We're Oscar Mike two-one Bravo. Attempting to contain Delta-Charlie-Xray-Xray. We need the situation to be less toilets ASAP.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Pfft. Everyone knows that Rabbit Guy doesn't have any gem slots. Rather, he has double the chalice grist capacity.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    That's a pretty good guess. You would think the punchline would be something funnier/different/not just a picture of the dude's face.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I can't express how glad I am that a lot of SHITTY digital ccg's came out already. I got burned by things which I was dubious about anyway, and I have learned some lessons about this market.

If it weren't for several games that I felt I'd wasted $20 on, I'd probably be losing hundreds of dollars to this thing. But now when I look at his game, it has a familiar haze of chicanery.

What'd I just say, wallet. No. Put that $20 away.

Goddamnitt.
  • JasconiusJasconius bird internet Saint Petersburg RussiaRegistered User regular
    he must be stopped

who among us will carry out this sentence
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    You would think the punchline would be something funnier/different/not just a picture of the dude's face.

I sort of interpret it as a, "If you see this man, you know what to do" kind of thing.
    steam_sig.png
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    You would think the punchline would be something funnier/different/not just a picture of the dude's face.
    I sort of interpret it as a, "If you see this man, you know what to do" kind of thing.

And no matter what you know to do, what you'll actually do is give him all your money.
  • The SauceThe Sauce Registered User regular
    Even if the final panel's art is a result of a Child's Play auction, I think it did the comic a service. Combined with the text, it's just terrific. I lol'd.
  • AugusteAuguste Registered User new member
    Whether he won an auction or not, I don't know, but Cryptozoic (his company) has done a lot of work with PA & CP in the past, so it probably amounts to the same in the end.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I also just noticed that the card depicted is "Rabbit Guy" who is a "Ranger - Shooter Dude."
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Are... are the gems and the cards sold separately? Because damn if they are. The devil called, he says you need to cut back on the diabolicalness.
    Hisao? What's the word for when it feels in your heart that everything in the world is alright?

# paweaboo Talk about the animu's with friendly people on SLASHnet.
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Registered User regular
    Oh, I would be willing to bet they are most certainly sold separately. You don't conjure up that kind of evil and then take the foot off the gas... no you take it to the darkest, deepest depths of diabolical evil. Then you review said work, deem it not evil enough and go even further.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    The ultimate hell would be if you could combine gems to make stronger versions.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    The ultimate hell would be if you could combine gems to make stronger versions.
    Each gem contains a unique code, and you have to break them open to get it. Enter three corresponding codes into their website to purchase the next level of gem.

"By checking this box, I certify that I have destroyed the gems entered above"
    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
  • Jamie DillionJamie Dillion Registered User, Penny Arcade Staff staff

It was not, actually. This year's winners were Matt Wilson of Privateer Press and Steven Dengler of Dracogen/XE. The year before was Bungie and Popcap. Cory Jones is just diabolically good at what he does.
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013

It was not, actually. This year's winners were Matt Wilson of Privateer Press and Steven Dengler of Dracogen/XE. The year before was Bungie and Popcap. Cory Jones is just diabolically good at what he does.

This seems like a good time to revisit my favorite auction comic, though, also featuring jewels:

1110300748_6bTxk-L.jpg

Vechey's somber expression and the "And then, darkness" in the middle panel get me every time.
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    The more I look into the details about Hex TCG the better it looks... Unlike the supposed "Eternal Darkness sequel" crowdfunded project. I want to see some more of the update videos and information but its looking more like how high a level to I want to pay for rather than if I want to back it(and this would be my first Kickstarter to support).
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    That WoW CCG comic has always been a favorite of mine. I imagine the people seated at the meeting were skeptical about having Satan as a consultant, didn't want him there, maybe. But at the end they're in awe. They still don't want to hail him, but they have to.
    ferb.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • RevenantkiokuRevenantkioku JapanRegistered User regular
    Ah, CCGs. My one true weakness.

I cannot be the only one who twitched a little when reading this comic.
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    The closest thing to a CCG I ever played was the Lost Kingdoms series.
    [47 6F 6F 64 20 4A 6F 62 21 0]
  • ShowsniShowsni Registered User regular
    Ah, CCGs. My one true weakness.

So much this. Give me one of the $500 level.

And some Pokémon cards.
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    I have never gotten in to CCGs. I am glad of this fact.
    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Amazon Wishlist
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I have never gotten in to CCGs. I am glad of this fact.

Can I borrow $20, then?

Cause, uh. I'm gonna need it.
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    How about I buy you a nice steam game instead. Get you away from that devil's game, and back where it's wholesome and pure.
    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Amazon Wishlist
    How about I buy you a nice steam game instead. Get you away from that devil's game, and back where it's wholesome and pure.

Or, I could buy YOU into the CCG. Then you'll be forced to play it, thus succumbing. Muah ha ha ha.
  • Maz-Maz- C'mon Donny! Registered User regular

Buy him Magic: The Gathering on Steam. That way, everyone wins.

Or loses, I guess.
    zwischenablage01.gif
    Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654
  • RevenantkiokuRevenantkioku JapanRegistered User regular
    Mmm. Except the Magic games are nowhere near as good as the real thing. In fact, I dare say that competitive CCGs are so good that they make all sorts of online multiplayer games pale in comparison.
  • catpizzakingcatpizzaking Registered User new member
    I've never been able to justify paying for digital boosters and starters.
    Why would you back this if you can't afford one of the highest tiers? You're going to need to invest close to that level to be competitive with the people who pre-payed-to-win.

edited May 2013
    I actually figure that there is pretty good chance to recoup the kickstarter investment later as long as the game isn't a total flop... The rarity of the kickstarter only cards should cause their prices to skyrocket down the road.

Basically if I really like the game and get into it then I'll have gotten my moneys worth. If I don't get into the game I can likely cash it out later for as much or more than I paid to back it.
    Incindium on
    So, Hex finally released their stretch goal information. It seems pretty obvious to me that they're playing evil and not straight with actual stretch goals.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, Hex finally released their stretch goal information. It seems pretty obvious to me that they're playing evil and not straight with actual stretch goals.

Not sure what you mean by that exactly.
    All the current stretch goals announced though are kinda a given as kicktraq has the project trending toward a 2 million $$ total