Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

help me spam people [small business e-mail list?]

fightinfilipinofightinfilipino legally competentRegistered User regular
so i work at a small immigration law firm, and we'd like to reach out to our past clients about the new updates on immigration reform. for now we've been using a small business e-mail account via Yahoo. we'd like to send out listserve-style e-mails to our clients, and Yahoo won't work for that purpose. can anyone recommend a solution for a listserve? preferably a free solution, but we are willing to pay for a service if it does the job well.
ffNewSig.png
google+ | facebook | twitter | steam | Guild Wars 2: fightinfilipino.8914

• LetterAfterZLetterAfterZ Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    What is listserve?

Typically for mass email I'd recommend something like MailChimp:
    http://mailchimp.com/

Although, not being sure what listserve is, I may be on the wrong track?
    LetterAfterZ on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I have no idea where they fall on quality & affordability, but I've heard a lot of small businesses use Constant Contact.
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Have you tried Yahoo! Groups? It works pretty much like a listserv.
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Why would you even want a listserv for this sort of thing? You don't want folks replying to eahcother, and you will be better served by individually emailing each client.

What I would suggest is make a contact excel spreadsheet with emails, first and last names, company info, and anything else you would want to reference, then draft up a Word Document to use as a mail merge. Set the merge fields for the salutation and general info that you would want to personalize for each to pull from your excel collumns, then mass send 400+ emails using outlook or whatever work client you use.

This way you can quickly send an individualized email to each and every client without anyone else CC'd or BCC'd and still get them out fairly quickly.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
    Example Template (just type this out in word):
    Hello [COMPANY]!

We are having a special promotion this [SEASON], for a limited time [PREVIOUS PURCHASED PRODUCT] is [DISCOUNT PERCENT] off!

With this sort of setup, your excel document would need 5 columns:
    -Email
    -Company Name
    -Season (probably the same for all)
    -Previous Purchased Product (reference what you are wanting to sell individually to THAT client)
    -Discount Percentage (maybe different depending on how good a customer they are, etc).

One you had that in word, go to mailings and then "Select Recipients" and then click "Use Existing List". Once you have selected your excel document, you can select each of the [BRACKETED ITEMS] and click "insert merge field" and select the appropriate column. Then, when you are ready, click "Finish and Merge" and you will have the option to print out a paper item if you wanted to physically mail it, use existing email client (and type what you want to be the header), and a few other distribution options.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
  • Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    Constant Contact and IContact are both great.
    What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    I feal like I want to punch your profession in the face.

However, it might be easiest for you to use outlook, it's easy and allows for that kind of shenanagins.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_12209039_create-listserv-outlook.html
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I have no idea where they fall on quality & affordability, but I've heard a lot of small businesses use Constant Contact.

This is true. I'm not saying you have a good idea, but this service is a way to avoid looking like a scammer or a small company using yahoo for their business email.
  • McVikingMcViking Registered User regular
    I happen to work for the company that developed LISTSERV. We've got a web-based service that will do what you're asking. I don't work in the sales end of things, so I don't know the pricing, but it's intended to be competitive with the MailChimps and Constant Contacts of the world, and we've been in the business a couple of decades longer than those guys.
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino legally competent Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ok so i might have used the wrong terminology. i guess what i'm looking for is a "mailing list" and not a "listserv".

also, my concern is more about trying to send out a few hundred e-mails through our dinky Yahoo account and getting shut down for looking like an actual spammer or a compromised computer. i'm thinking more along the lines of third party services that help with e-mail lists. Constant Contact, MailChimps, and Kayvu all sound like good starts. keep the suggestions comin!
    zepherin wrote: »

wow dude, super harsh :[

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png

It's nothing personal. Your a cool guy and ill help you if I can. I just dislike being on the receiving end of the listserv
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular

It's nothing personal. Your a cool guy and ill help you if I can. I just dislike being on the receiving end of the listserv

Out of everything lawyers do to ruin the world, it's spam that pushes you over the edge? I guess we're slacking on out evil quota this quarter.
    LaPuzza wrote: »

Out of everything lawyers do to ruin the world, it's spam that pushes you over the edge? I guess we're slacking on out evil quota this quarter.
    Honestly I have found lawyers to be surprisingly striaght forward with their evil and tom foolery. It is refreshingly bold. I will on occasion hang out with or grab a drink with our chief legal council and she will occasionally discuss a war story about how she told the defendent how she was going to fuck them, and proceded to do just that.
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino legally competent Registered User regular
    this is getting a bit off the rails here, but i work at an immigration law firm that primarily works on family-based sponsorship cases and removal defense. we're a small firm that does decent stuff.

as for lawyers in general, there are some bad actors out there, but for the most part, lawyers are simply doing their job, representing someone. sometimes that means they're representing someone who opposes someone else or is otherwise scummy. eh.

in any event, all i'm asking for is help on how to reach clients we already have worked with and who have given us their e-mail contact info. we are not sending unsolicited spam and we're definitely not buying lists of random e-mails.
    ffNewSig.png
    The neat thing about a mail merge is that it sends an individual email to each address as it's own function through Word, rather than a mass mailer which sends notices in batch. While it will send them within seconds of each other, it is usually not filtered by spam blocks.
    — Robert Heinlein
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Get the hell off of Yahoo, first off. In an age of Google Apps, Office 365, and some spectacular third-party hosted Exchange offerings like Rackspace, Yahoo is slowly sinking into the great la brea tar pits of technology.

Because they're a dinosaur.

Going extinct.

Etc.

Anyway, depending on the size of the list, a decent email provider like one of the ones I listed above might work. For example, Office 365 has a daily recipient limit of 10,000. Google Apps has a daily per-user message limit of 2,000. If your list is 500 people, then you're probably fine.

If you need more than that, then I would look at iContact. Personally, I haven't used them, but they have a recommendation from Rackspace and that means a lot to me.

Avoid Constant Contact. They've had frequent problems getting blacklisted as spam. Over the years, they've played fast and loose with their anti-spam policies and their reputation has suffered for it.

I've used ExactTarget in the past for this purpose but it was for a large corporation and I have no clue how much it cost.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death