Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

OOC Star Wars: The Hunted [Recruiting]

KlivianKlivian Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Critical Failures
It is a dark time for the Jedi. After their failed assassination attempt, Emperor Palpatine declared them enemies of the Empire and vowed to purge their arrogance from the galaxy. The Jedi are hunted mercilessly to the ends of the galaxy. The dreaded Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine's protege, oversees the pursuit.

The Empire's iron grip strangles freedom throughout the galaxy. The fragile seed of discontent and rebellion is planted across a dozen worlds. In due time, the seeds may bloom and if they can be united under a common banner, perhaps they can rise up against their oppressors.

A handful of Jedi have eluded Darth Vader thus far. Wary of outsiders and betrayal, they cling to each other for survival and hope.

vaderrain.jpg

What is this?

The is a Star Wars Saga Edition campaign set in the "Dark Times" era (between Episodes 3 and 4) when those Force Sensitive are being systematically hunted down, the Empire's iron grip strangles freedom throughout the galaxy, and the seeds of what will become the Rebellion are planted and begin to germinate. Everyone will be playing a Jedi or someone who is Force Sensitive with loyalties to the Jedi Order (see below).

This will be a dark, gritty setting. It is outright dangerous to be openly known as a Jedi. The players have no safety net. There's no Jedi Order or Republic resupplying them or sending them backup. Even personal relationships can be treacherous as loyalties are fluid in this time of change.

Can I play?

The party will consist of ideally 3 players. Those wishing to submit characters may do so until midnight, Friday May 17th.

Posting

Goal is for everyone to post once per day. If something prevents you from doing so, please drop a quick post in the OOC thread lettings us know.

Character Background

Please provide a brief character biography (up to Order 66). Please incorporate the items below according to your class.

Jedi - You have passed the trials and have been studying as a Padawan under the tutelage of Master Prisk Nay'bek but have not yet made Jedi Knight. Master Nay'bek is a middle age female Bothan renowned for her quick wit, social savvy, and belief that strict physical discipline is necessary to explore the Force fully.

Noble, Scoundrel, Scout, Solider - You were identified as Force Sensitive at an early age and studied as a Jedi Initiate. However, you were either unable to pass the trials and were denied promotion to Padawan or were simply not chosen by a Master by the age of 13. You were asked to join a branch of the Jedi Service Corps:
  • Agricultural Corps - Feeding the galaxy's hungry and fighting to restore balance to nature
  • Medical Corps - Comprised of healers, technicians, medics, and doctors, the MediCorps has state of the art facilities in the Jedi Temple and are often deployed to war fronts and disaster areas
  • Educational Corps - Comprised of teachers, scholars, and archivists, the EduCorps provides instruction to countless disadvantaged being across the galaxy as well as conducting research for the Jedi Archive.
  • Exploration Corps - Exploring the wilds of the universe, charting new star systems and planets, establishing new colonies

Character Creation
  • Level: 5
  • Abilities: Point Buy 34pts
  • Classes: Any in the core book
  • Species: Any in the core book, except Gungans and Ewoks. Ask me if you want to use a species in another source books
  • Hit Points: Max hit points for your class each level (+CON mod). We'll roll for future levels, but I want to give everyone a solid start.
  • Feats: Everyone receives "Force Sensitivity" and "Skill Training [Use the Force]" for free at level 1
  • Starting Credits: 40,000 (or 80,000 if you have the "Wealth" talent)
  • Equipment: Licenses are free (for now). You have access to Licensed, Restricted, and Military equipment.
  • Destiny (Optional): You may choose a destiny if you desire.
  • Source Books: All except "The Force Unleashed", "Rebellion Era", "Legacy Era", and "Knights of the Old Republic"

Aspects

I want to try and incorporate the Aspect concept from the FATE system ( http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Aspects/Aspects.php ). Aspects are short, descriptive statements that give color and life to characters making them more than just a collection of numbers and skills. Mechanically, an aspect will allow a player to receive certain bonuses or exercise some narrative control when they act in-character. Aspects can capture a character's general outlook on life, their approach to social situations, past history and more. They should have both a positive and negative aspect to them. An aspect should be descriptive enough that it can both help the player and get them into trouble.

Here are some examples from the movies:
  • "Let the Wookie win" - Chewbacca has a notorious temper when he loses. Whether that's good or bad depends on who you were rooting for.
  • "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side" - A trusty blaster has gotten Han out of many scrapes, but it's left him a bit skeptical of anything beyond what he can touch
  • "From a certain point of view" - Obi Wan has a way of bending the truth to look at things sideways but sometimes that comes back to bite him
  • "I have a bad feeling about this" - Bad things tend to happen when you are around. Sometimes you get a sneak peak before hand.
  • "This deal is getting worse all the time" - Lando knows to get out early when a bargain is headed south. Sometimes it's too late, though.
  • "I have the death sentence on twelve systems!" - Great for intimidating farm boys and making a name in the criminal underworld. Not so great in twelve systems of note (or in any that allow extradition).
  • "Sorry about the mess" - Han isn't shy about collateral damage

Invoking an aspect, that is, acting in line with it, allows you to spend a Force Point for new benefits (see below). The GM may compel one of your aspects, forcing you to act in accordance with it (typically making things more difficult) and offer you a Force Point in return to add to your pool. The player may reject a compel by paying the GM a Force Point.

Create 5 aspects for your character. These will change and evolve as your character grows.

Force Points

A Force Point may be spent for any of the benefits listed in the core book. Additionally, a Force Point may be spent to make a plot or setting declaration.

If an aspect is relevant to the current circumstance, a Force Point may be spent for any of the following benefits.

- Reroll a single attack, skill or ability roll (must keep second roll)
- Reroll any one damage roll (must keep second roll)
- Use a Force Power, Talent or Feat you are not trained in. Prerequisites still apply. (2 Force Points)

House Rules

Jedi always have the option to use Dark Rage, though you'll eat a DSP if you do so.

Severing Strike is assumed to be a talent of any Force User, including your characters.
Klivian on

• jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
  • HeirHeir Registered User regular
    My favorite time frame. So excited!
    camo_sig2.png
    So Klivian,

Couple questions for ya.

1. What do you think about a character who's first level *isn't* in Jedi? Say...a noble or a scout? Could handwave it as my character was taken in at a later age compared to normal students?

2. How do you feel about taking an initial level in jedi, taking a few of something else, and then coming back to Jedi? Say he washed out and joined the Exploration corps, but decides to start training by himself or something along those lines.

3. Is my character absolutely required to use either of the paths you outlined above? Could he have been in the agri-corps, for example, but then went AWOL after x-amount of time?
    camo_sig2.png
  • KlivianKlivian Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    So Klivian,

Couple questions for ya.

1. What do you think about a character who's first level *isn't* in Jedi? Say...a noble or a scout? Could handwave it as my character was taken in at a later age compared to normal students?

2. How do you feel about taking an initial level in jedi, taking a few of something else, and then coming back to Jedi? Say he washed out and joined the Exploration corps, but decides to start training by himself or something along those lines.

3. Is my character absolutely required to use either of the paths you outlined above? Could he have been in the agri-corps, for example, but then went AWOL after x-amount of time?

@Heir,

1. That's fine.

2. No issue. If someone wants to try and keep studying while part of the corps, they're allowed to do so on their own time. Downside, of course, is that there's not really any formal instruction, so it's pretty difficult for people to advance.

3. Yes, please. It is how I'm going to tie the party together in the beginning.
    Thanks. I've got an idea for a jedi refugee that I like. Just wanted to see what the constraints are.
    camo_sig2.png
    And just a heads up, the campaign is going to pickup almost immediately after Order 66.

I'll describe what drew the party together and how you survived (hence the bit of forced background above).
    I like it. I'm going to work on a character tonight.
    camo_sig2.png
  • Dancing OwlbearDancing Owlbear Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    I'm interested in this and wouldn't mind trying to come up with a character.

However, I'm also curious about the house rules. If you're using Aspects, why not run a Star Wars game using the FATE system?
    Dancing Owlbear on
    Laziness, primarily =) I already ran this campaign IRL using Saga. I just really fell in love with Aspects and try to add them to systems when possible.

There is a FATE conversion for Star Wars here for those curious.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Registered User regular
    Stats:
    Persuasion
    Use Computer
    Pilot
    Knowledge (life sciences)
    Knowledge (social sciences)
    Deception
    Gather Information
    Knowledge (bureaucracy)
    Initiative

Ramran, young Ithorian noble

+2 Wis, +2 Cha, -2 Dex
    +2 will
    Bellow: 1d20+level against fort, 3d6 sonic, save half damage, -1 condition
    reroll survival, keep second
    if Knowledge life sciences, skill focus LS

STR 8
    DEX 14
    CON 10
    INT 16
    WIS 15
    CHA 15

0+6+2+10+8+8=34

STR 8
    DEX 12
    CON 10
    INT 16
    WIS 17 (18)
    CHA 17 (18)

+1 reflex, +2 will as a noble

Feats: Linguist (4 bonus languages [Kel Dor, Gamorrean, Rodese, Huttese], Weapons Proficiency (pistols, simple weapons), Force Sensitivity, Skill Training (Use the
    Force), Force Training (5 powers, level 1), Armor Proficiency (light) (2), Force Training/AP Med (3), Skill Training/Skill Focus/Linguist (4) [haven't chosen these yet, but whatever]

Talents: Inspire Confidence, Presence, Force Focus

Force powers: Force Disarm, Force Stun, Mind Trick, Move Object, Vital Transfer

I'll show you elegant and civilized (Ramran's not much for fighting, but she does have a silver tongue)

Little old me? (Ramran, despite her height, is not an imposing figure)

Master Sinhar always said (Sinhar imparted a lot of sayings on Ramran before she died, but she doesn't always use them appropriately)

I'm sure we can be reasonable (Ramran is a solid believer in the power of negotiation)

Galactic Code 12.4, Subsection D, Paragraph 3A (Ramran is very good at finding loopholes and exploiting regulations)

Ramran was taken from her parents on Coruscant when Jedi Master Kama Sinhar met her in the course of a diplomatic mission; she and her Padawan, Joren Dakka, took an instant liking to the child, and sensed the Force within her. Though Ramran stayed on the planet for several years, she never returned to her family.

During the course of her training, she spent a good deal of time with both Master Sinhar and Dakka; unfortunately, not long before Dakka was to be promoted to Knight, and thus leave Sinhar free to take Ramran as her new Padawan, Sinhar died, of a simple heart attack. Dakka was not yet eligible to teach the young Ithorian, and she reached her thirteenth birthday without finding a new mentor.

After much deliberation, she decided to join the educational corps, using her formidable diplomatic skills to negotiate schooling arrangements on worlds pressured by Separatists or the Trade Federation. Thus, in the last months of the Clone Wars, Ramran was nowhere near actual troops, and spent much of her time in the office.
  • NVBNVB Registered User regular
    At work right now but posting for interest. I'll need to reread the book so character may be a few days.
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Do you desire the POWER? Giant Mecha SuitRegistered User regular
    I'll join the choir of "This time period is always fun, and gimmie some time to get a character together."
    Very nice, Captain Carrot. I like those aspects =)
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Do you desire the POWER? Giant Mecha SuitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Three weeks before her thirteenth birthday, Master Prisk took Jeanida on as a Padiwan. Jeanida had resigned herself to the a life in the Agricultural or Explorer's corps, and the news that she'd been selected to be trained sent her bouncing off the walls with glee. Master Prisk is not only the best Jedi Jeanida Halb has ever met, but she's also the best person Jeanida has met too. She's kind, wise, and patient with Jeanida's stumbles on the path of the Jedi. Oh sure, they don't agree on everything. Master Prisk is a bit too stuffy, and Jeanida tends to tactlessly speak what's on her mind a bit too much. Still, Jeanida knew that her Master wouldn't have picked her if Prisk didn't see a great Jedi inside of her. The fact that Jeanida sometimes grates on her Master's nerves just means that Jeanida's still got work to do before she becomes the Jedi her Master knows she'll be.

And Jeanida won't let Master Prisk down. Ever.

Jeanida Halb CL 5
    Medium Human Jedi 5
    Destiny 0; Force 7 (1d6); Dark Side 0
    Init +10; Senses Perception +8
    Languages Basic
    Defences:
    Ref 19 (flat-footed 16) Deflect/Redirect
    Fort 17
    Will 17
    hp 75; Threshold 17
    Speed 6 squares
    Melee lightsaber +7 (2d8+6)
    Ranged by weapon +8
    Base Atk +5; Grp +7
    Atk Options Acrobatic Strike

Force Powers Known (Use the Force +14): Move Object, Surge, Mind Trick, Battle Strike
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Talents: Deflect, Redirect Shot, Skilled Adviser
    Feats: Force Sensitive, Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers), Weapon Proficiency (simple), Acrobatic Strike, Power Attack, Force Training x2, Skill Training, (Galactic Lore), Skill Focus(Use the Force)
    Skills: Acrobatics: +10, Use The Force: +14, Perception +8, Initiative +10, Knowledge (Galactic Lore): +8
    Possessions: Lightsaber,

Aspects:

Part Time Soldier. (Even the diplomats saw frontline combat in the Clone Wars, and as Master Nay'bek's Padiwan, so did Jeanida.)
    Perfect isn't good enough. (Master Nay'bek is nowhere near as demanding of Jeanida as Jeanida is.)
    Student of the Road. (You learn the strangest things traveling from system to system. Some of them are even useful!)
    Shameless Flirt (The Jedi Code says that A Jedi Shall Not Know Love. The Code is a little hazier on flirting, though.)
    Tact is a nice word for lying. (Honesty was the first responsibility that aspiring Jedi are taught. While Master Nay'bek is a bit more flexible with the truth, Jeanida knows that you either say what you think or say nothing at all.)
    Capfalcon on
    Thanks, Capfalcon. Jeanida seems a pretty formidable foe!
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    How long are you keeping submissions open?
    "Rising Jedi Padiwan" seems kind of boring to me, so I think I'm going to change it to "Tact is a nice word for lying".
    edited May 2013
    Sol Koda:

ScreenShot2013-05-15at94906PM_zpsb255a2df.png

Sol Koda CL 5

Medium Human scoundrel 1/Jedi 3/scout 1
    Init +4; Senses darkvision; Perception +6
    Languages Basic, 1 unassigned

Defenses Ref 20 (flat-footed 18), Fort 17, Will 19; Deflect, Evasion
    hp 56; Threshold 17
    Immune +5 to Fortitude Defense against extreme heat and cold effects

Speed 6 squares
    Melee lightsaber +6 (2d8+5) or
    Melee lightsaber +6 (2d8+8) with both hands or
    Melee lightsaber +10 (2d8+10) with Powerful Charge
    Ranged blaster pistol +5 (3d6+2)
    Base Atk +3; Grp +6
    Atk Options Point Blank Shot, Powerful Charge
    Special Actions Dampen Presence, Knack 1/day
    Force Powers Known (Use The Force +14) mind trick, rebuke, surge

Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 11, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 14
    Talents Dampen Presence, Deflect, Evasion, Knack
    Feats Force Sensitivity, Force Training, Improved Defenses, Point Blank Shot, Powerful Charge, Skill Focus (Use the Force), Weapon Proficiency (lightsabers, pistols, simple weapons)
    Skills Deception +9, Endurance +7, Mechanics +8, Perception +6, Survival +9, Treat Injury +9, Use the Force +14
    Possessions all-temperature cloak, blaster pistol, lightsaber, medpac, tool kit, utility belt (3 day food supply, medpac, tool kit, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, comlink, liquid cable dispenser)

Aspects:

"Pick On Someone Your Own Size" : Sol grew up dealing with bullies, and as an adult has a short fuse when witnessing others bearing the brunt of such aggression.
    "I was just borrowing it!" : Sol has a...hazy definition of ownership and property rights.
    "Don't waste your time" : After a life of failures, it's hard to disappoint Sol.
    "Survivor" : Has learned to live off very little, but doesn't like to rely on others
    "Cornered Animal" : Tries to avoid confrontation, even somewhat fears it. But Sol can be ferocious when forced into a fight.

Background:

Sol grew up on the streets of Coronet on the planet Corellia, never knowing his family or the comforts of a home. He scraped by in the slums, trying to avoid the ire of both the CorSec officers who patrolled the streets, and the swoop gangs who claimed to own them. The young boy learned to survive on scraps, discarded machinery, and the skills he picked up from those willing to show him a thing or two. Dreaming of a better life, Sol attempted to sneak aboard a shuttle at the spaceport, hoping to find a new life on the capital world of Coruscant. As luck (or fate as he would say), the ship was owned by a Corellian Jedi that took pity on the boy. Intending to drop him off at the nearest orphanage, the Jedi Knight was astounded to find latent Force potential emanating from Sol.

While he assumed his life would be nothing but glory and adventure once he became a Jedi Initiate, nothing could be farther from the truth. Coming in at the relatively late age of 9, Sol found himself the outcast once again. Instead of avoiding swoop gangs, he avoided older, more popular initiates who would bully him throughout the temple. By the age of 13, Sol continued to struggle with his abilities in the Force, and to a greater extent, his ability to handle conflict. Everything came to a head when Sol's main antagonist, none other than a young Anakin Skywalker, cornered him. Skywalker, always arrogant, ridiculed Sol's lack of friends, and bragged how he didn't even have to go through the initiate tournaments as he was the Chosen One. The padawan goaded Sol into starting a fight. While he gave as good as he got, in the eyes of the masters, Sol was a problem child who was not suitable to become a Jedi.

Instead, the young man was assigned to the Jedi Exploration Corps. Sol found again found the freedom and solitude he oddly enjoyed compared to the stuffy nature of the Jedi Temple. Relying on his own wits, he grew in skill and ability to survive no matter what environment he found himself in. However, he never truly gave up jedi ideals...secretly keeping several training remotes and practicing what skills he'd learned, hoping to hone them and prove to himself that he truly was a jedi.
    Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    jdarksun wrote: »
    How long are you keeping submissions open?

Was hoping for Friday, but if there's enough interest still hanging out I'd prolly push it till Sunday.
    Join us!

I'm thinking Sol is either part of the medical or exploration corps. Need to write up his background
    And get aspects. I'm gonna like this guy.
    camo_sig2.png
    You find the best character art, Heir.
    edited May 2013
    Wookieepedia has some great stuff.

Edit: It's just Kyle Katarn I believe.
    Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    Updated sheet with aspects and background. I may retool a few things...specifically he's in the exploration corps but isn't a trained pilot...not that it's a necessity. :)
    camo_sig2.png
    Heir wrote: »
    "I was just borrowing it!" : Sol has a...hazy definition of ownership and property rights

That is awesome.