Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Teaching ESL

altzillaaltzilla Registered User new member
I've always wanted to try teaching abroad, and I have quite a bit of experience working with both kids and at risk youth, but I lack a degree because of one sob story or another. Now, I know that some ESL recruiters these days don't necessarily require a degree, though from what research I've done that tends to equal more hours for less pay. Does anyone know if some of the better quality places that normally only recruit people with a bachelors will take someone without a degree if they've got a year or two of ESL experience? As in, work for one of the lower paying companies for a while, get some experience, and then trade up? Thanks for any input!

• MagicToasterMagicToaster Registered User regular
    What country do you have in mind? Do you speak any other languages?
    tostadas.png
  • DAKBARBERDAKBARBER Registered User regular
    Hello,

I teach in South Korea. Usually they only accept people with at least a bachelors. But you said you have at least a year's experience. That will help.

Do you mind saying your age? Gender? Ethnicity? Unfortunately these things matter.

Do you have any TEFL qualifications? A CELTA will help you a lot.

Having connections in the country you want to teach will help as well. Having a bachelors is no substitute for having experience. Which you have. By my logic that would make you considered for a job. Unfortunately recruiters in South Korea do not always follow that logic. I've also heard that the Ministry of Education makes it a legal requirement to have a bachelors. So, you could get work at a hagwon but you'd run the risk of being deported if they found out. You'd have to come over on a tourist visa and keep getting it renewed whilst being paid under the table.

Teaching anywhere in Asia will require a really good photo. Being young and attractive will help a lot. A lot of jobs now require an introduction video. If you have any videos of you teaching that will be really useful as well.

You will struggle to get decent jobs without a bachelors. But it can be done.

A quick use of google-fu suggests Indonesia as a good place without a bachelors. There are jobs in China as well.

Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be more help.