Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[PATV] Monday, May 13, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 48: They Came for Our Guns

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, May 13, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 48: They Came for Our Guns

FAQ Feeds Schedule Subscribe to PATV

Read the full story here

Dog on

• PugironPugiron Registered User regular
    The Nazi's must have won because Canada did not join the Allies in that universe.
  • likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    Sucks to be EA or Square Enix this year.
  • metroidkillahmetroidkillah Registered User regular
    I imagine these videos are done some time in advance, so I expect something in next week's episode about the reports of Nintendo more than doubling the Wii U's CPU speed, and significantly increasing its GPU speed. And no weak jokes about how the system will now brick because of "overclocking".

Like it or not, the Wii U has incredible potential. Nintendo just has a hard time attracting big 3rd-party developers and publishers.
    I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • NecroxNecrox Registered User regular
    *sigh* The nerf herding experience just wouldn't be complete without smellovision.

@metroidkillah ...and customers.
  • Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    I'm not sure Bioware can still be said to have a good track record.
    @Necrox: One step at a time.
  • Zachary AmaranthZachary Amaranth Registered User regular
    Like it or not, the Wii U has incredible potential.

It's quite credible, and it seems quite limited.
  • BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User new member
    @pugiron: The Nazis were fucked largely by the decision to invade Russia, where they experienced 80% of their losses.
  • BrainleechBrainleech Registered User regular
    A Wookie hunter would be a Trandoshan, or as you know him Bossk
    Sigh
    A.jpg
    It's quite credible, and it seems quite limited.
    As compared to... what? MS's Pizza Hut app? Sony's "Share" button? Both companies' focus on things that are not good and interesting games and gameplay? Nintendo has proven over and over again that they don't need raw power to give gamers what they want, but now they have some of that, too. Tell me that's not a recipe for excellence.

I love my 360, but I'll be honest: I wish it were more like my Gamecube. The only non-gaming thing I do with it is Netflix, and I have a PC that could fill that bill quite easily. If MS had focused less on being the "living room dominator" and more on being the "gameplay dominator" we would all be better off- and that goes for Sony, as well.
  • HRDSalami654HRDSalami654 Registered User regular
    @metroidkillah That sounds exactly like what people said about the PS3 when it came out.
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    @Bropocalypse In one battle Russia captured more Germans in one battle then the Americans killed during the entire war.
    Sig.jpg
    @metroidkillah That sounds exactly like what people said about the PS3 when it came out.

Their problem right now is how they pushed away 3rd-party devs with the N64. The GCN was a step in the right direction (and devs really liked it, from what I understand), but the damage had already been done. Sony had stolen the spotlight, and then got cocky with the PS3. But the problem with the PS3 wasn't the focus on power (which Nintendo still isn't completely doing), it was their proprietary tech, and the assumption that devs would jump through all kinds of hoops to make games for the PS3, because, y'know... Sony. At this point, the outcome is still up in the air; but between Nintendo's latest patch and their dev policy changes, I think we're going to see some interesting things.
  • enderandrewenderandrew Registered User regular
    @metroidkillah - One person on TV Tropes said the software update for the Wii U basically tripled the CPU speed, and slightly bumped the GPU speed. But this hasn't been confirmed by anyone, anywhere.

Nor has that poster made any effort to prove their claims.

Right now I'm taking that with a gigantic grain of salt.
  • DigitalJanusDigitalJanus Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    I'm not sure Bioware can still be said to have a good track record.

While some of their recent titles might have performed below expectations, all of them--even SWTOR--turned a profit.
    DigitalJanus on
  • DarkironDarkiron Registered User regular
    thank you Kate Stark for the BOOM!
  • fenryskfenrysk Registered User new member
    the JK-47. that was pretty good.
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    fenrysk wrote: »
    the JK-47. that was pretty good.
    39697_pro.jpgjk-rowling.jpgAK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg

Photoshoppers, begin!
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Have not seen the episode yet, assumed JK-47 was a star wars joke, and hoped it referred to the (imagined) uncanceling of 1313.

Now I see the gun connection and am sad.
    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
  • PinPrickNachoMancyPinPrickNachoMancy Registered User regular
    Achievement Unlocked: 100 Episodes
  • moosemaimermoosemaimer Registered User regular
    They can keep their Colfs, I'll take the D5K Deutsche, thank you very much.
  • UndeadpoolUndeadpool Registered User regular
    Yeah, beyond knee-jerk hatred of EA, I don't really get what people have against this. Seriously, who was going to REALISTICALLY manage this IP better? Bearing in mind the emphasized word and that LucasArts themselves had been crapping it up for the better part of a decade...
  • Mic_128Mic_128 Registered User new member
    How about Bioware?
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Mic_128 wrote: »
    How about Bioware?

Or Valve - they share LucasFilm's release schedule.
  • Mic_128Mic_128 Registered User new member
    Not any more, with Disney's 1 movie a year plan.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Undeadpool wrote: »
    Yeah, beyond knee-jerk hatred of EA, I don't really get what people have against this. Seriously, who was going to REALISTICALLY manage this IP better? Bearing in mind the emphasized word and that LucasArts themselves had been crapping it up for the better part of a decade...
    EA sucks as a general rule, but if the guys who made Deadspace take over 1313, and the guys who made Battlefield take over First Assault, then that's really not so bad.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    30-year-old question finally resolved: it is Graham who is scruffy-lookin'.
  • LuftmenschLuftmensch Registered User regular
    There aren't copyright laws that apply to physical items (yet), so legally EA can do whatever they want, but what's more interesting to me is the double-standard, where any film can feature any car or gun or building without a care, but games have to worry about licensing and co-branding. There's a petty distinction to be made about the fact that games have to feature 3D models but ultimately the resolution of the assets aren't much higher than the cumulative visual information within a given film. I'd rather EA donate proceeds to Wounded Warriors, but I also enjoy the money never going to firearm manufacturers ever.
  • JediMBJediMB SwedenRegistered User new member
    Unfortunately, what EA meant when they said that DICE would be making Star Wars games is "this brand new studio we just slapped the name 'DICE LA' on will be making Star Wars games."

Par for the course, certainly, what with BioWare Austin and SWTOR.