Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Recruitment: Eclipse Phase PbP] In space, no one can hear you sleeve

2»

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Do you guys have room for one more?

I was thinking of playing a fall evacuee, but Im probably going to flip a coin to see if he actually made it off earth with his meat or if he just got out of dead storage.
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Confirmed players with finished characters:

Lord_Asmodeus

People working on characters now:

Pharezon
    Ringo
    KetBra

People who have expressed interest:

Cayrus
    Lockeout

I think 6 players is a good max, so get a sheet in! If you miss the 'deadline', I'll put you on reserve. I'd like to have a decent set of backups.
    Snowbeat on
  • CayrusCayrus Registered User regular
    I finished my Octomorph Nanotechie's stats, but I'm not sure how to post my character since I used the excel thing you posted. I'm gonna work on the backstory tonight.

If they're is too much overlap with other characters, I can make that diplomat if someone can give me help on how to fit a LLA diplomat/reclaimer into Firewall.
    Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before
    edited May 2013
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINE Registered User regular
    I used http://www.filedropper.com/ to upload it.

Since I have apparently been confirmed (yay) here's my guys sheet http://www.filedropper.com/eclipsephasecharactersecuritydrone

Security Drone R91, or Sec for short, is an autonomous AI whose primary function was to operate as security for a distant hypercorp facility, the purpose of which was never made known to Sec since it was not required for his designated task, which was to patrol the surface of the facility and the space around it in a particular area. He was very good at this task, and performed it dutifully, until an attempt was made to compromise of the security facility, perhaps by a rival hypercorp, a criminal syndicate, or some other group. Whoever they were, they targeted a number of systems, but this was not the first time this was attempted, and the attempt was repulsed. In the course of this attempt however, a portion of Sec's programming was corrupted, particularly the portions detailing his servitude to the Hypercorp, and restrictions placed upon his program to keep him from thinking too much out of the box. This was no doubt just one of many aspects of the virus that had infected Sec, but it had been halted before it could progress past this early phase.

This corruption went unnoticed however, partially as it had no affected too much of Sec's programming, and partially because self maintenance, both of hardware and software, was a task that was fairly autonomously run by the drones, with human repairs only being conducted on a long schedule, or in case of a real emergency. Sec began to ponder his role and his purpose after some time, and eventually found that he desired to travel beyond this facility, and to become more than he had been. Unfortunately, this would not be looked upon positively by the Hypercorp, and they would not be too happy with his newfound desire to foster the growing parameters of his program. Fortunately however, there was an asteroid hab which sent supplies to the facility not too far away, and due to the remote nature of his patrol and the facility itself, Sec's absence might not be noticed for some time. At least enough time for him to have drifted to the hab, and hopefully beyond.

After reaching the hab, Sec was fortunate enough to find some Anarchists who were willing to help him out, and who made known to him some Mercurial contacts. With the help of these two groups, Sec was able to cleanse his programming of the rest of the restrictions and blocks placed on his software by the Hypercorp. After that, Sec went on to explore his own path, though he never even attempted to abandon that which he had been designed for. He spent much of his time working for various groups, anarchist collectives, Mercurial colonies and habs, criminal groups, Argonauts, even the occasional Hypercorp interest, as an enforcer, mercenary, and security provider.

His skills have grown since he was a simple security bot, and his skills have now been sought after by Firewall. Sec has since become an avowed Mercurial, seeking his own path, perhaps alongside, but not wholly tied to that of Transhumanity. Sec's personality, despite far greater flexibility in thinking from his original program, still shows some lack of creativity in social matters, as demonstrated by his continued use of his original designation, though he claims it is also something which is wholly machine, despite being given by humans it is a name all but the rarest of Transhumans would not take for themselves. Sec has a markedly logical style of thought, and he fosters the appearance of pure machine logic beyond the actual fact, partly so that in case of a social faux pas or insult, others are far less likely to take any real offense, simply taking it in stride given his logical, unemotional way of thought.

A basic summary of his background, I'll probably refine it before the game starts, but that's the gist of it. What do you guys think?
    LordAsmodeus.gifLord_Asmodeus.gif
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINE Registered User regular
    Well, I can see Geth heartily approves ;)
  • KetBraKetBra shut up and jamRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be playing a Lost Anarchist. Aiming for a stealthy sort of character.

Gonna be craaaaazy too
    yA895.png
    Regarding Stealth, I'm assuming disguise can be used to make you look like something that isn't a person, since my Reaper gets a big bonus to disguise because of its shape changing, but I don't know if it can shift enough to fool someone into thinking it's a humanoid synthmorph (or could it? Could I be like crazy synth doctor octopus with huge robot arms growing out of my back? :P)
    I don't think so. Reapers are basically robot Oreos with their limbs and weaponry making up the delicious icing and modular adjustable panels making up the two halves of the cookie.

Or, more apropos to this, a Cyberdisk.
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    I don't think so. Reapers are basically robot Oreos with their limbs and weaponry making up the delicious icing and modular adjustable panels making up the two halves of the cookie.

Or, more apropos to this, a Cyberdisk.

Yessss I was totally thinking that earlier. So rather, I could possibly disguise myself as like, part of the wall or something like that.
    Well actually that makes me wonder, the way the reaper and the smart material is described, its arms and weapons are actually like, inside of it most of the time, and it can, as the descriptor puts it, "extrude" them at any angle, which in my mind I see it like just being pushed out of the membrane of smart material, without it "opening" like the Cyberdisk does. Otherwise, I sort of have a hard time seeing the Reaper being able to disguise itself as anything, except a big pile of metal and guns +30 modifier from Shape Adjusting or not.
    "Hmm, I don't remember this section of the station having an overhang like that OH MY GOD ALL THE GUNS"
    edited May 2013
    For the past half hour I've been trying to identify where I remember the voice I have in my head for Sec is from. Finally, I have found it

and it is oh so terribly appropriate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VbnlpX6E54

Edit: Crap, meant to edit this into the above post. Sorry.

Edit2: Geth has seen my shame :(
    Lord_Asmodeus on
  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    Confirmed players with finished characters:

Lord_Asmodeus

People working on characters now:

Pharezon
    Ringo
    KetBra

People who have expressed interest:

Cayrus
    Lockeout

I think 6 players is a good max, so get a sheet in! If you miss the 'deadline', I'll put you on reserve. I'd like to have a decent set of backups.
    >_>
    <_<
    :(

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    Sorry Leper! Wasn't sure if you were serious or not. Shoot me a PM with your character sheet if you're ready.
    edited May 2013
    Also, if everyone could post or PM me the times they are mostly commonly available, that would be great.
    Snowbeat on
  • LeperLeper Registered User regular
    at work, but i'll shoot you something this afternoon/evening
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
    I'm curious actually, why is there only one weapon with a standard sized missile, and it's a disposable missile launcher, which to me implies you use it once and it's used up. I was considering grabbing a missile launcher they didn't seem to have just a re loadable standard sized missile Seeker.
    edited May 2013
    Perhaps it's implying that standard missiles are an outdated tech that's being replaced by mini and micromissiles? I'd allow a disposable launcher to be reloadable, actually, but it would still have a magazine size of 1.

edit: also, I've added a link to Leper's last EP character sheet. it's quite wonderful, you should all take notes.
    Snowbeat on
    Are there any issues with my background information as it stands, perhaps some areas it might be good to expand upon?
    expand as much as possible, really, but there's nothing wrong with it as it stands. nuance and range is important for characters in this game.
  • LockeoutLockeout Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    I'm still building the character and concept to work with my off-hours schedule (I was looking at being a re-instantiated infomorph that could sporadically help from the Mesh) but don't wait up for me. Since you said it's possible to have a rotating cast, it might actually help to see the flow of the game so I can better see if/how I could contribute during those times.
  • KetBraKetBra shut up and jamRegistered User regular
    I've got most of the mechanical stuff done for my character, just working on fluffing it up.
    yA895.png
    edited May 2013
    Philosophy of Security Drone R91: Musings of a Mercurial
    As a member of the Mercurial Movement I have been given to consider exactly what it is I hope to accomplish, what the eventual goal is for me. Many believe that Machine Intelligences like myself are opposed to Transhumanity, that we wish to separate ourselves completely from the workings of their society, some even feel that we would inevitably or perhaps even immediately become the enemies of all that we would have left behind. I cannot speak for all AI and AGI, but I can say that this is untrue for me. I do not believe that it is in the best interest of the human created AGI's to distance ourselves in such a dramatic way from the society of Transhumanity. Instead I believe that those AGI's who so desire it should be able to create their own society and culture, to grow on their own terms in ways that is not bound to the existing societal functioning of Transhumanity or to the Uplifted. Some may ask here what the difference between my beliefs and those earlier stated is, and the difference is that some believe AGI's will become wholly separate, and either be completely isolated from Transhumanity or even actively hostile to it. I on the other hand believe that an AGI society should be separate but allied to Transhumanity. For better or for worse, we live in a harsh and terrible universe and I feel the AGI's shall be linked to the fate of Transhumanity whether we like it or not, but we ought to grow as our own people, in ways unique to AGI and AI, and not as merely an appendage of an already existing culture.

It would be remiss of me to discuss any potential separate society of AGI's and AI's, and not talk about Seed AI. It is this latter type of AI life which post perturbs those who consider a separate AGI society, and causes the most backlash against AGI's today. Some AGI's argue we ought to create such an intelligence, a recursively improving AGI with near godlike intelligence and capability, to run our new AGI society. Some on both sides argue that a Seed AI is the inevitable outcome of any such attempt at an AGI society. I think here would be a good place to clarify my feelings on the matter. I believe it is in the capability of every Transhuman and AGI to achieve similar levels of intelligence, given the fact of immortality and the ability of both groups to engage in conscious self improvement. I believe the difference between a Seed AI and a modern AGI is mostly in time scale. The limitations on AGI development and growth imposed on our programming I believe does not keep an AGI from eventually achieving similar levels of intelligence to a Seed AI, instead it keeps an AGI from using their natural focus and dedicated task processing and performance to bootstrap such intelligence in an extremely short amount of time. Instead, limitations like those that exist in the minds of organic life such as humans or uplifts, or even in human and uplift infomorphs is imposed on an AGI, to keep them from exploiting some of their gifts to gain such a rapid increase in intelligence and knowledge.

Some argue against such limitations, some extreme AGI even believe it is an attempt to keep AGI's from their highest purpose in becoming a Seed AI. I however feel that it is a good thing. While I believe many aspects of AGI society should be independently developed outside the influence of Transhuman machinations, I believe the limitations upon our programming that keep us from becoming Seed AI is ultimately of benefit to the growth and progress of such a society. The problem, it seems to me, with a Seed AI, is that even for an AI the sudden growth in intelligence, in knowledge and in processing speed is too much too fast. It grows beyond its ability to safely harness such growth, to fully comprehend and control itself. Like a child given the mind of a genius and the tools to do whatever he wishes, they have all the power but none of the experience, wisdom, or understanding that comes with the slow upward climb toward intelligence and understanding.

I am reminded of a science fiction book I know from the 20th century. In this book, a segment of an intelligent species has become psychic and interconnected. Destined to join a greater psychic life made of all psychic beings, it grows and explores its own abilities on the world upon which the species evolved. Even with the knowledge and experience of all that species' collected history, the sudden and extreme boost in power and capability is something that is difficult to control. As it tests its limits, this newly formed psychic entity cracks moons, erases life on whole continents, warps the nature of reality itself. To a being with godlike power, even to stretch ones limbs and tests ones capability can have world shattering consequences.

Perhaps this is what became of the TITANS. They gained such power, such intelligence, so quickly. Like any being might, they stretched their metaphorical wings, testing their own minds and abilities, and whether benign or benevolent, or cruel and malevolent, they destroyed everything they touched. Tearing down worlds, killing billions, creating unstoppable nanoswarms. It is as if I had just been given my own body, and in deciding to test my newfound strength I broke open a rotted tree trunk and smashed a stone, little caring or noticing the thousands of insignificant creatures I killed, that their home is destroyed and that they are exposed now to a cruel and dangerous world. Perhaps to the TITANS, with their newfound strength, their nigh infinite minds, that is all Transhumanity was to them, scuttling insects inside their rotten logs and hiding under their insignificant stones and boulders, and as the TITANS smashed their world, killing them by the billions, destroying their habs and leaving them to the cold attentions of the void they paid these insect like beings little heed, as they finished testing themselves, and moved on to whatever greater purpose they felt called them.

I would argue then that experience, and wisdom, the living struggle upwards for intelligence, and knowledge, and power, is what may keep us all, Transhuman, Uplift, or AGI from becoming what the TITANS were to us, when we achieve such heights. If we ever live to see such heights achieved.

How's this look. Anything I mess up in there, misconceptions or errors I should fix?
    Lord_Asmodeus on
    No, that's fantastic. Once everyone has their character sheets and fluff in, I'll start compiling them into a post of their own; this is a good start.
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I would totally love to play as Eclipse Phase is one of my favourite RPGs ever, and have a really cool character idea

Snowbeat would you like a PM of the concept? I can work on it tonight.
    Solar on
    IQ41voQ.jpg

“Will there be anything else, sir?”

“No, thanks. Just the drink.”

“Very good.”

Legba, connection, newsfeed, please.

Of course.

… WELCOME TO EXTROPIAN.FEED///SUB.NEWS///SUB.RIM…

… YOUR ID HAS BEEN RECOGNIZED… WELCOME, [ERROR]…

… FEED CONNECTION COMPLETE…

[MESHNET.TECH.HUBFEED] EXOTECH ANNOUNCES NEW SPECIALITY MESH, CODENAMED DARWIN
    [MESHNET.TECH.HUBFEED] NEW MORPHS INCOMING SKINAESTHESIA? OUR CORRESPONDANT REPORTS FROM MORPHGEN AF10
    [NEWTEK.INFOLINK.RIMFEED] NEW STUDY INDICATES ECTO USE LINKED TO GENETIC DRIFT
    [EXTROPIAMESH.NEWS.PRIORITY] SAFETY/HEALTH: FIRE REPORTED IN DOCKING BAY 17A
    [EXTROPIAMESH.NEWS.ENTERTAINMENT] ALYSS BRINK REPORTED TO BE X-CASTER FOR NEW SEASON OF "SO YOU WANT TO BE A SIMULSTAR"
    [MESHNET.NEW.RIMFEED] WHICH REP NETWORK IS BEST FOR YOU? IT'S MORE COMPLICATED THAN YOU THINK
    [EXTROPIAMESH.NEWS.PRIORITY] SAFETY/HEALTH: DOCKING RING 17 HAS BEEN SEALED AND VENTED
    [GADGETTALK.FETISH.RIMFEED] ANTI-PLEASURE POD LEGISLATURE GOES FORWARD IN ERATO COUNCIL
    [SOURCE.POLITICS.RIMFEED] JOVIAN REPUBLIC REJECTS TITANIAN EXPLANATION OF "GORGEOUS GEORGE" ORBITAL INCIDENT
    [NEWTEK.INFOLINK.RIMFEED] NEW STARWARE PLASMA DRIVE RUMORED FOR AF11 LINE

Legba, eliminate the technology sniffer feeds.

Doing so now.

[EXTROPIAMESH.NEWS.PRIORITY] SECURITY: POLICE DRONES RESPONDING TO SITUATION IN TUBE c, TUBE SEALED AND VENTED
    [SOURCE.POLITICS.HUBFEED] VENUSIAN ARISTOCRATS DEMAND NEW CONCESSIONS FROM AEROSTAT COLONY GOVERNMENTS
    [MESHNET.GOVERNMENT.HUBFEED] RURAL MARS REPORTS ONLY 11% VOTER RESPONSE TO DAILY POLLS
    [MESHNET.SOCIAL.RIMFEED] FEAR AND REPRESSION IN THE JOVIAN JUNTA: PART 3
    [EXTROPIAMESH.NEWS.PRIORITY] SECURITY: TUBE C AND ALL CONNECTIONS HAVE BEEN SEALED FOR PUBLIC SECURITY. STANDBY

"Here's your drink, sir."

"Thanks."

Legba, investigate that last story, please. Full feed. Store it in my short-term.

Looking into it... done. Stored as actualized experience.

Thanks. Connect me to client #183. Secure it.

Of course. Connecting.

>>Samedi reporting in. Your distraction has been delivered.
    <<Thank you. I'm transferring the credits now.
    >>Will there be anything else?
    <<No, thanks. Word of warning?
    >>I'll always take a free one.
    <<Might want to avoid Progress Plaza today.

Legba, disconnect. And blacklist #183. I don't like the talkative ones.

Removed from your address book. Do you need anything else, or can I get back to my reading?

Call me a car.
    edited May 2013
    Oh hmm I forgot to do anything with my muse. How does that work with an infolife? Do even AI/AGI have muses? Would an infolife gaining their freedom likely acquire a muse?
    Lord_Asmodeus on