Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Cops Gone Wild] Pepper-sprayed toddlers edition

Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
edited May 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Three NYPD officers have been named in a lawsuit alleging they "needlessly, and without warning pepper-sprayed a mother, father and their three small children," including a 5-month-old baby, in a New York City subway station in August, 2012.

The suit, filed last month by Marilyn Taylor, claims that Officers Maripily Clase, Suranjit Dey and Jermaine Hodge approached Taylor and her family after she used the station's service entrance to push the stroller carrying her 2-year-old child onto the subway platform -- arousing suspicions that she had skipped paying the fare.

According to the complaint filed by Taylor's attorney, and available at Gothamist:

During this stop, the aggressive language and demeanor of the officer defendants caused the Minor Children to become scared and upset. Ms. Taylor responded to her four-year-old daughter's question as to whether she was going to be okay by leaning over to tell her daughter that, "everyone is going to be okay."
At this point, defendant DEY unloaded pepper-spray into Ms. Taylor's face. The spray caused Ms. Taylor to reel backwards, nearly falling off the platform, and to fall to her knees, blinded and in pain. The pepper-spray struck Mr. McClain [Taylor's husband] as well, resulting in pain and discoloration of his left eye.

The Minor Children were also struck by the pepper-spray, causing them to scream and cry in fear and pain, and sending [the two-year-old] into fits of vomiting.

Taylor was then cuffed and detained by the officers, according to the lawsuit, and pushed down the station's stairwell in "an unreasonably forceful manner that caused bruising to Ms. Taylor's wrists and lower back," after which she was taken to Central Booking for her arraignment.

The complaint says that Taylor and McClain have both dealt with eye problems in the months since the incident, and that their children suffered severe psychological trauma. Additionally, the complaint alleges that the officers proceeded to harass and intimidate the family outside the station where the incident occurred in the weeks that followed.

The NYPD didn't immediately respond for comment on the lawsuit.

The police department, which was the subject of heated criticism after an officer famously pepper-sprayed peaceful protesters at Occupy Wall Street in 2011, has also been embroiled of late in a number of other controversies -- in particular, a stop-and-frisk program largely targeting New York's minority populations, and the disputed shooting and killing of 16-year-old Kimani Gray.

huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/02/nypd-pepper-spray-baby_n_3001126.html

Now to be fair, he wasn't aiming for the toddlers, he was aiming for the mother, who was not resisting and was in fact bending over to reassure her 4 year-old that everything was going to be ok. Everything was not ok.

So point of discussion, at what point does the cost of all these lawsuits begin to outweigh the cost of just training officers to be less shitty? Or disciplining them. That's a thing that can theoretically happen! Incidentally I initially misspelled "discussion" and my spellchecker asked me if I meant "depression", which would also have been appropriate.
Mr Ray on

• VeeveeVeevee Registered User regular
    Do they have anything to corroborate their story? I mean, not to say it didn't happen which would be horrible if true, but you can file a lawsuit claiming pretty much anything you want.
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Veevee wrote: »
    Do they have anything to corroborate their story? I mean, not to say it didn't happen which would be horrible if true, but you can file a lawsuit claiming pretty much anything you want.

I actually did have a look immediately after posting this and couldn't find anything, so this may or may not in fact be a fabrication until proof surfaces. Note to self: In future check this stuff before posting thread.

*edit* The fact that the 3rd most popular link for this story is infowars has me worried

*edit* This link has their lawyer listed as "David Rankin of Rankin & Taylor, PLLC." so the lawsuit is genuine at least.

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/04/01/56239.htm

Don't get me wrong, them having made the whole thing up is probably the best possible outcome, but at this point there's no hard evidence. I'm not an detective, internet or otherwise and will leave this one to the courts.
    Mr Ray on
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    If this story has even a shred of truth behind it I hope they sue the NYPD for every cent they can get.
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    It doesn't fucking matter if the officer wasn't aiming for the children. Anyone officially trained or instructed in the use of pepper spray knows that it spreads around in an area - with children present, it shouldn't have been considered a fucking option whatsoever.

Fire those amateur fucks and sue them for every penny possible.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • PLAPLA Registered User regular
    Assuming the training or instruction doesn't go out the other ear.
    PLA wrote: »

It is possible to train officers to a higher standard, or at least a high enough standard that they know firing pepper spray in the general direction of kids is a fucking stupid thing to do. The NYPD just has a horrible culture, you wouldn't see this shit happening where I live, you don't even see it happening in the rest of the US. This is something I would find hard to believe of Sheriff Inbred The 3rd in Bumblefuck, Texas let alone officers in one of the largest, most populated and wealthiest cities on earth.

I mean, the pepper spray hit a 5 month old baby for christs sakes, it's pretty much only by the grace of god this incident didn't result in the headline "NYPD MURDERS NEWBORN".
    R.I.P Sir Check

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • VanguardVanguard for the Night is Dark and Full of Big Areolas Registered User regular
    What is more likely to happen is that the officers get suspension with pay, or relocated to desk duty for a while. Worst case scenario is that the city doesn't grant them their lawyers.
    I'm giving away a free copy of The Burning Wheel rulebook for free RPG Day 2013! Click here for details.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

It is possible to train officers to a higher standard, or at least a high enough standard that they know firing pepper spray in the general direction of kids is a fucking stupid thing to do. The NYPD just has a horrible culture, you wouldn't see this shit happening where I live, you don't even see it happening in the rest of the US. This is something I would find hard to believe of Sheriff Inbred The 3rd in Bumblefuck, Texas let alone officers in one of the largest, most populated and wealthiest cities on earth.

I mean, the pepper spray hit a 5 month old baby for christs sakes, it's pretty much only by the grace of god this incident didn't result in the headline "NYPD MURDERS NEWBORN".

Um.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Henroid wrote: »

Um.

Well, put it this way, we've just had a few weeks of the Boston PD getting hero worshiped for their professionalism. Can you imagine the same manhunt taking place in NYC?

There are certainly parts of the US where the police meet the standards expected of first world police services and parts that don't. The only difference is the training and the culture of the forces in general, and like I said the NYPD have a lousy culture.
    R.I.P Sir Check

??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular

Um.

Well, put it this way, we've just had a few weeks of the Boston PD getting hero worshiped for their professionalism. Can you imagine the same manhunt taking place in NYC?

There are certainly parts of the US where the police meet the standards expected of first world police services and parts that don't. The only difference is the training and the culture of the forces in general, and like I said the NYPD have a lousy culture.

After 9/11 there was a ton of hero worship for the NYPD, and rightfully so. They were heroes then. Doesn't mean they don't do shitty things too.

Honestly, maybe one good use for Google Glass could be having police wear them at all times, so we'd always have a video and audio record of their actions.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    It's the nypd
    Pepper spray makes everything more delicious
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    >Huffington post and nothing past a lawsuit. NYPD pay have its issues, but it seems the outrage should be held until there's tiny bit more.
    It doesn't fucking matter if the officer wasn't aiming for the children. Anyone officially trained or instructed in the use of pepper spray knows that it spreads around in an area - with children present, it shouldn't have been considered a fucking option whatsoever.

Out of interest, what is your background in knowledge of use of force in police scenarios?
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    US citizen probably. You don't fucking pepper spray complicit subjects. That's pretty black and white.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

What if I told you that there was a police force in a major US City so widely regarded as corrupt that when a 6-3 300lb black guy started killing cops, the outrage was...tepid at most.

That when hunting for this black man, in a blue Toyota pick-up, they shot 2 Hispanic women in a gray Nissan pickup. And a white guy in a truck on his way to go surfing.
    US citizen probably. You don't fucking pepper spray complicit subjects. That's pretty black and white.

That's not really what he said. He said you never use it around children, and I would be honestly surprised if that was the case.

You're also working off the idea that they were compliant, which we don't at this point have any way to ascertain outside there word. Though on that, surely an area of that nature on the underground would be covered in CCTV? Seems like there would have been a pretty black and white way to check this right from the off.
  • bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »
    >Huffington post and nothing past a lawsuit. NYPD pay have its issues, but it seems the outrage should be held until there's tiny bit more.

Out of interest, what is your background in knowledge of use of force in police scenarios?

I don't think what he said suggests the need for knowledge of force in police scenarios. It is practical knowledge about aerosols combined with the "I'm not going to be a dick to innocent people using a device that can potentially harm them" knowledge. It's an almost natural moral right to expect children to not be put in the line of danger by those sworn to "serve and protect" them.
    firstbanner.gif
    Same thing if not worse happened in Brazil

cop-sprays-child.jpg
    firstbanner.gif

That's not really what he said. He said you never use it around children, and I would be honestly surprised if that was the case.

You're also working off the idea that they were compliant, which we don't at this point have any way to ascertain outside there word. Though on that, surely an area of that nature on the underground would be covered in CCTV? Seems like there would have been a pretty black and white way to check this right from the off.

Quick google search brings up this for the LAPD regarding policy

130.25 REVERENCE FOR HUMAN LIFE. Reverence for human life is the primary consideration in developing tactics and strategies in pursuit of our motto: "To Protect and To Serve." Whenever an operation designed to achieve an immediate goal such as the arrest of a felon or the gathering of evidence to complete a criminal investigation causes a victim, witness, or other innocent person to be subjected to potential injury or death, our primary objective must be to protect that person. No arrest, conviction, or piece of evidence can outweigh the value of human life.

and later

576. DEPLOYMENT IN ANTICIPATION OF THE COMMISSION OF A CRIME. The purpose of deploying officers at the scene of an anticipated crime is to arrest the perpetrator of the attempted or consummated crime; however, since that objective is subordinate to the protection of life, officers should not subject themselves or other innocent persons to unreasonable risks.
    firstbanner.gif
    Maybe he's talking about the cops acting as human beings with common sense and not actually the word-for-word from the conduct manual.

Maybe we don't need to nitpick stupid crap.

Maybe I'm an idealist.
    Wow it's actually in there. Who knew.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I think the notion that police are there to "serve and protect" is no longer widely held by pretty much anyone.

They are there to enforce the authority of the government. Arresting criminals is a secondary concern, protecting law abiding citizens is a tertiary concern, and our courts have established that the police have no legal obligation to protect anyone in any case.

So yeah.
    Regina Fong on
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular

Police officers are in it to collect a paycheck, just like the rest if us.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • override367override367 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I go to work to collect a pay check and get through my day without pepper spraying kids or shooting random civilians

the problem with police is the lack of repercussion when they fuck up. It's less dangerous to be a cop in a major city than a delivery driver to some parts, so we need to as a nation stop acting like they're heroes on the front lines.

Edit: basically the problem is, once again, the public being retarded and by and large hero worshiping cops
    override367 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    They do have a shitty job though. I always wanted to be a police officer but after I read up on their job and how the public reacts to them I went ahead and changed my mind.

I cannot imagine being a cop anywhere.

I know that "ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!" type justifications don't fly. Or shouldn't. The story as presented is that the family was standing together, a child was being reassured of something, and the assault by the officer was made on the family. Please explain to me the provocation. Because it seems that, if the mother was wrong to use the service entrance, calm words of warning would have been enough.
    edited May 2013
    The war on drugs is really what started to militarize our police, which has led to so many other problems including especially the industrialization of our penal system.

I'm not trying to be all down on cops, but they shouldn't be put on a pedestal either.

Reminds me of this ex-cops take on law enforcement (spoilered cause it's slightly off topic)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8yYJ_oV6xk&feature=share

Much like every pro-legalization enthusiast, he suffers from verbal vomit.

bebarce on
    firstbanner.gif
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I went through police explorers(like boy scouts/rotc, but for police training) at an early age, pre 9/11 in a smaller city. TRT(like swat), all "less" lethal ordinance is to be avoided in use where civilians that could be susceptible to permanent damage (EG elderly hostage + flashbang = heart attack) it is not to be used unless it has to be. This included things like pepper spraying around kids. It's "less" lethal instead of "non" lethal, because it just kills at a lower rate than a gun.

The above guideline about "others before arresting" is a funny one, as the guidelines regarding high speed pursuit dont apply to this in most cases. That and the supreme court has said that officers have no requirement to protect, or to help someone in danger.

The only video that ever needs to get linked in these threads (and it should be in the OP every time) is the 45 minute one where the layer speaks, and repeats over and over "dont talk to police, eeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr", and then hands it over to a current detective who goes "he's right, and I can tell you this, because criminals are idiots and wont listen anyways"

edit: in direct relation to the case, I'd excuse myself until we have more information, like the police report or literally anything else. I seriously doubt the story went "STOP! POLICE!"->scared child->mother bend over->peppersprayed
    DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    I was really hoping this was just a bad April Fools joke, but I found the filing.

Taylor et al v. The City of New York et al
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »

They're not punished for breaking the law like the rest of us.
    I went through police explorers(like boy scouts/rotc, but for police training) at an early age, pre 9/11 in a smaller city. TRT(like swat), all "less" lethal ordinance is to be avoided in use where civilians that could be susceptible to permanent damage (EG elderly hostage + flashbang = heart attack) it is not to be used unless it has to be. This included things like pepper spraying around kids. It's "less" lethal instead of "non" lethal, because it just kills at a lower rate than a gun.

The above guideline about "others before arresting" is a funny one, as the guidelines regarding high speed pursuit dont apply to this in most cases. That and the supreme court has said that officers have no requirement to protect, or to help someone in danger.

The only video that ever needs to get linked in these threads (and it should be in the OP every time) is the 45 minute one where the layer speaks, and repeats over and over "dont talk to police, eeeeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr", and then hands it over to a current detective who goes "he's right, and I can tell you this, because criminals are idiots and wont listen anyways"

edit: in direct relation to the case, I'd excuse myself until we have more information, like the police report or literally anything else. I seriously doubt the story went "STOP! POLICE!"->scared child->mother bend over->peppersprayed

WTF?
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

WTF?

Basically the police aren't liable if crimes are committed, even if they are called and notified.

It makes sense, in that the police can't be everywhere immediately, and if they were liable for crimes / damages everywhere they couldn't be, or couldn't get to in time, it would be impossible for them to do their job.

The original case was one where some intruders had broken into a house and captured some of the homeowners. Other people in the house called the police, who drove by / knocked on the door but didn't stop the crime - I think something about how it was reported as a suspected burglary instead of burglary / kidnapping type situation.

EDIT - It doesn't mean a cop can walk away from a crime, or let a crime happen...although if - for example, they are calling for backup - they wouldn't be liable for the harm their inaction caused. Until a special relationship (promise / action to act w/ knowledge that injury can result, direct contact between police and the individual, and justified reliance that the police will follow through) exists, the police have no obligation to any particular individual.
    zagdrob on
    steam_sig.png

I know that "ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US!" type justifications don't fly. Or shouldn't. The story as presented is that the family was standing together, a child was being reassured of something, and the assault by the officer was made on the family. Please explain to me the provocation. Because it seems that, if the mother was wrong to use the service entrance, calm words of warning would have been enough.

Right, the story as presented by the person filing the suit was that, and if that was the case some form of persuade, advise, and warn seems a good course of action.

Except they might not be entirely 100% on the up and up telling the truth. Lets run with another possible hypothetical scenario. Instead of minding their own business and suddenly out of the blue getting pepper sprayed after a brief chat, the brief chat establishes their name and address/identifying details they radio it in and get back flashes for firearms/offensive weapons/drug use/assault on police/whatever take your pick, and instead of being perfectly complaint become aggressive and ignore officers orders, reaching for something on their person (hands down their waistband say) despite explicitly being told not to. What then do you deem a proper use of force given the confined space?

Right, the story as presented by the person filing the suit was that, and if that was the case some form of persuade, advise, and warn seems a good course of action.

Except they might not be entirely 100% on the up and up telling the truth. Lets run with another possible hypothetical scenario. Instead of minding their own business and suddenly out of the blue getting pepper sprayed after a brief chat, the brief chat establishes their name and address/identifying details they radio it in and get back flashes for firearms/offensive weapons/drug use/assault on police/whatever take your pick, and instead of being perfectly complaint become aggressive and ignore officers orders, reaching for something on their person (hands down their waistband say) despite explicitly being told not to. What then do you deem a proper use of force given the confined space?

Why don't we wait for the inevitable trial before we make shit up to defend the police with?
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

WTF?

Basically the police aren't liable if crimes are committed, even if they are called and notified.

It makes sense, in that the police can't be everywhere immediately, and if they were liable for crimes / damages everywhere they couldn't be, or couldn't get to in time, it would be impossible for them to do their job.

The original case was one where some intruders had broken into a house and captured some of the homeowners. Other people in the house called the police, who drove by / knocked on the door but didn't stop the crime - I think something about how it was reported as a suspected burglary instead of burglary / kidnapping type situation.

EDIT - It doesn't mean a cop can walk away from a crime, or let a crime happen...although if - for example, they are calling for backup - they wouldn't be liable for the harm their inaction caused. Until a special relationship (promise / action to act w/ knowledge that injury can result, direct contact between police and the individual, and justified reliance that the police will follow through) exists, the police have no obligation to any particular individual.

Thanks for clearing that up. :mrgreen:
    Why don't we wait for the inevitable trial before we make shit up to defend the police with?

The irony there is pretty thick, but lets set it aside.

You've got a person doing this, and it's a high traffic area with multiple people nearby/passing. What's your use of force, given you have said that pepper spray is off the table because there are children present?
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    zagdrob wrote: »

WTF?

Thanks for clearing that up. :mrgreen:

I thought the case that declared cops dont have to do shit for you involved women living together being held hostage and repeatedly molested/raped for almost a day after they managed to call 911.

Here is the case
    Buttcleft on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    I think the notion that police are there to "serve and protect" is no longer widely held by pretty much anyone.

They are there to enforce the authority of the government. Arresting criminals is a secondary concern, protecting law abiding citizens is a tertiary concern, and our courts have established that the police have no legal obligation to protect anyone in any case.

So yeah.

Not to be pedantic, but they serve and protect the people by enforcing the laws. They are literally the way that the state wields its monopoly in the legal use of force to enforce the rule of law.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

So yeah.

Not to be pedantic, but they serve and protect the people by enforcing the laws. They are literally the way that the state wields its monopoly in the legal use of force to enforce the rule of law.

The first part is kind of debatable given how unduly our political process and our justice system have been corrupted by money.
    Regina Fong on

The irony there is pretty thick, but lets set it aside.

You've got a person doing this, and it's a high traffic area with multiple people nearby/passing. What's your use of force, given you have said that pepper spray is off the table because there are children present?

I'm not going to pepper spray a family.

Nor would I use pepper spray in a busy public area because other people could get affected.
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    It's the nypd
    Pepper spray makes everything more delicious

The best cookies I've ever eaten were cranberry oatmeal cookies that tasted faintly of the pepper spray I had all over my fingertips.

Nothing about the above sentence is false or fabricated.

Edit: However, please don't go off and incorporate pepper spray into your baking just yet, as it will take me at least ten more years to determine whether or not that gives you cancer. :/

SammyF on