Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Beginner electric guitar

DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
I actually posted about this first in the games forum because of the Rocksmith game, but truth be told that's only tangentially related.

I really want to pick up a stringed instrument. I don't have any fantasies about being in a band or even being particularly good, I've just always found playing music to be relaxing. I haven't mucked about in a long time, and I've set my heart on strings. I entertained the idea that I'd learn to fiddle for awhile, but I think I'm ready to let that one go just because it's less practical and more complicated to start, plus there's a lot more resources for something a simple as the guitar. Rocksmith is gamification of guitar learning, and that's ridiculously awesome and would probably help me build some structure into practicing chords when I want a break from practicing off the sheet.

Anyway, I'm also not fooling myself. There's a reasonable chance I won't stick with this, or at least dedicate enough time to it to really get anything out of it. As a result, I'm shying away from doing something like investing $500+ in a real guitar and an amp from the get go. I've been looking at beginner packs, and these two are at the top of my list so far. I'd love to hear any suggestions, either between these two or regarding something else I should consider:

Rockmaster Limited by Peavey

Fender Starcaster

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Do you have any real-life guitar-playing friends that can go with you to a guitar store and check out their inexpensive offerings for you? While it makes sense not to spend too much on a hobby you just want to dabble in, if you get a stinker guitar it can actually be more difficult to play.

Also, are there any artists whose guitar sound you really like or want to emulate? That can help know which guitar style to move you toward, though if you are choosing Strat-like designs intentionally there's nothing wrong with that route.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I don't know anyone who can help me check guitars, unfortunately. This would normally be my go to. I've got friends elsewhere who provide vaguely useful advice like, "Look for a Mexican-made strat on craigslist," but I definitely lack the confidence to do that, because I'm sure I'd end up with a cracked instrument somehow.

I'm now looking into skipping the amp initially, using my PC as an amp and sinking a bit more into the initial instrument. Then I can buy an amp when I have any reason to want to play for people a year from now.

If I had to pick a fantasy sound I'd like to get to eventually, it'd be (I think) high sustain, moderate distortion, and I know I'd need a pedal to get there. "Hunting Bears" by Radiohead is one of my favorite things done with guitar. I honestly think I'd probably lean toward a telecaster eventually, I like the twang.

Edit: Shit, I forgot to clarify- I'm from Memphis, and I'd never be able to leave the Blues sound behind.
    Darkewolfe on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I don't want to get ahead of myself trying to buy an end-game guitar, though. I just want something I can start to play and that'll perform well enough that I won't be more discouraged by the guitar than the difficulty of actually learning.
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    A secondhand Squier guitar is reliable and can be very cheap. Amps vary, I'm not too knowledgeable about those.
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    I read mixed reviews on Squiers. They're definitely better than the Starcaster, but they're priced halfway up to a real guita, and I figure if I'm going to do that I might just go Starcaster then eventually pick up a Telecaster like I'd want.

Edit: I take that back, I can get a Squier Bullet Strat for $130. Improvement on it over the Starcaster is mostly the humbucking pickup, I suppose.
    Darkewolfe on
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    If I had to pick a fantasy sound I'd like to get to eventually, it'd be (I think) high sustain, moderate distortion, and I know I'd need a pedal to get there. "Hunting Bears" by Radiohead is one of my favorite things done with guitar. I honestly think I'd probably lean toward a telecaster eventually, I like the twang.

Edit: Shit, I forgot to clarify- I'm from Memphis, and I'd never be able to leave the Blues sound behind.

Almost all of that would have me point you toward an Epiphone Les Paul, but if you like the twang I think a Strat will get you the best of the different worlds you're looking for.

The recommendation of a Mexican Strat was a good one, but if that's too complicated or too expensive a route, I'd point you toward a Squier Strat instead of a Fender Starcaster.

I'd also recommend you do pick up an amp. Stick to something inexpensive and low wattage. The thing about playing through your computer is that it's not nearly as fun, and I think it's way too hard to stick with learning a new instrument if you're not having fun.

I also recommend you check out a local guitar store or two and try some stuff out. Have a guy show you how to do an E chord or something and just fiddle around a bit with guitars in your pricerange. Ask a store guy to play some blues on one. If you fall in love with something, buy it!
  • Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    Most of my experience is with bass but I do play guitar as well and I can say that Squier has come a long way in recent years. It's not the ugly step-child it used to be. Buying second hand is also a good idea. You'll get more bang for your buck. It's really too bad you don't have anybody to accompany you. If you do go the used route just look for any obvious cracks in the body and neck. Look down the length of the neck to see if there's any twisting. Slight bowing of the neck is normal... a lot of bowing... not so much. Test it with an amp to make sure the electronics work properly. Turn the knobs on the guitar to see if there's any "scratchy" sounds coming out of the amp. You want to look for any rust and pitting on the metal hardware. Make sure the tuning machines turn freely. Ummm... I'm sure I've missed tons of stuff but I'm sure others will chime in.

Anyway, Squiers are decent beginner guitars for the money. I don't know much about Peavey guitars although one of my basses is an old Peavey from the 70's and it's rock solid. You may want to consider Ibanez and Epiphone as good reputable brands.

I would avoid the starter kits in general. They tend to use sub-par build materials and the assembly can be pretty shoddy.

As Wonderpug said... go to your nearest store and try everything you can get your hands on. Get a feel for different guitars. Also, remember that what the guitar looks like is important. You're far more likely to pick up and play a guitar that you think looks good.

This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
    Thanks for all the tips. Trawling Craigslist right now to try to find a deal on a Squier from other people who were just starting out but didn't stick to it. I'll try to head to a local shop this weekend to scope if nothing crazy pans out on craigslist.
  • Red RoverRed Rover Registered User regular
    I forgot about amps... again, you'll want to avoid starter kit amps. Since this will only be for home use look for something in the 15 to 30 watt range. Again, try some out at a store if you can. I'd probably spend more on an amp than I would the guitar for the following reason. A good amp will make an okay guitar sound good. An okay amp will make a good guitar sound just okay.
    This message will self-destruct in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1... !
    Man, I forgot how much craigslist around here sucks for bargains. So many people use it. Most people want $150 for a Squier Bullet and starter amp. I figure i'll offer $100 to most of them.
    If you weren't aware, Squier is Fender's lower-end product line, and Epiphone is Gibson's.

Cabezone is spot on with his recommendation for your next step. Between justinguitar for lessons, ultimate-guitar for tabs, and endless song-specific tutorials on youtube, there's a ton of great avenues for self-learning.

Aside from a guitar, amp, and an audio cable (if not included), there's not much else you need as far as accessories. A cheapie electronic tuner is a must, a capo is a very handy nice-to-have, and a combination string winder & cutter is also an affordable nicety.

Oh yeah, what's your practice area situation? If you have a need to keep the noise down, you may want to investigate headphone amps as an option.
    edited May 2013
    I blast music, including dubstep, pretty regularly, so I should be good. Mah house.

Edit: What about other brands? Someone sent me some really good deals on SX and Douglas guitars at a website called Rondo.
    Darkewolfe on
  • cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    Here's my two cents (from my own experience)

1. Yamaha Pacifica guitars are awesome for beginners. I owned one and it was phenomenal.

2. Find a reputable guitar teacher and ask for beginner or even trial lessons, just to get pointers on correct technique.

I picked up guitar as a pure hobby and taught myself enough to "get by" with some chords. At some point I decided I wanted to learn more, and as soon as I got lessons, my teacher pointed out some fundamental things I was doing wrong (grip, thumb position, pressure on strings) that I was never able to learn from Internet videos or books. I really wish I had started the whole process by getting lessons!
    cmsamo.png
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    I bought a guitar off Rondo maybe 7 years ago? I forget what model (I'm at work now) it was but it was my first guitar after my starter and I really loved it.
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    I always liked my old Dean that I got as my first guitar (and still have as a backup/alternate tuning guitar). The X series (not XM, you have to be careful with that, because the XMs just say X on them) are generally pretty decent for the price. If you do some hunting you can also find a good deal on a '79 series, which is their mid/upper-mid range stuff.

My main guitar currently is an Ibanez and I would recommend them and buy another myself in a heartbeat. The guitars made in their Indonesian factory are surprisingly good. I love mine and have had others who own many guitars tell me that their Indonesian Ibanez is their favorite guitar in their collection.

For my first amp I started with a little 20 watt Roland Cube. Good quality for the price and not too ridiculously loud. I just looked and either I'm remembering the price of these things wrong or the price has jumped up a ton since I bought mine (very possible... it was '08 or so).
    import com.seriouscompany.business.java.fizzbuzz.packagenamingpackage.interfaces.stringreturners.StringStringReturner;
  • Vater5BVater5B Registered User regular
    My take on this is slightly different. I have always bought gear that was nice enough to last me a long time if I stuck with it, but also easy to sell if I didn't.

I bought my first guitar, a Mexican Telecaster new in 2003 for $330. It has been a workhorse, has gotten me through many gigs and plays like a dream. The cheapest you can buy a new Mexican Tele nowadays appears to be around $500 unless you catch a sale. I could easily sell my guitar now for $300 given the market demand and still have had hundreds of hours of play and enjoyment from it.

On the subject of sales, Guitar Center has a new sale every week. At least once a month, one of the sales will be to drop $50 off of any item $299 or more. So if you are looking to spend around $250, know that you can always wait for that sale to roll around and pick up a nicer guitar for the same amount of money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That's great info. A Mexican Telecaster is basically my planned second purchase.

I've found a few almost new Squier guitars for $75-100 on craigslist, and I think I'm just going to jump in there. While, as you say, it won't last me long term, I can probably resell it for $50 on craigslist later if I need to, and then I'll have gotten enough access to see if I can stick with this at a very cheap entry point.
    edited May 2013
    I want to push you to just going for the Mexican Tele if you already have an affinity. You can always sell it if you don't take to the hobby.

But then, it's not my money we're talking about. :)
    wonderpug on
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I want to push you to just going for the Mexican Tele if you already have an affinity. You can always sell it if you don't take to the hobby.

But then, it's not my money we're talking about. :)

My big problem there is, "How do I FIND it" followed up with, "Even if I do find it, since I don't know how to play the guitar yet, how do I evaluate it to make sure I'm not buying something busted."
    What kinds of local music stores do you have? I prefer going to the little guys before I head to a place like Guitar Center, but often you just can't beat the selection at Guitar Center.
    The only place I've been able to find is, of course, a Guitar Center.

I checked some pawn shops but didn't find anything in my range.
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    I'm going to stray away from advice about what kind of guitar to get and mention that for a first guitar it probably doesn't matter what kind of guitar you get. Equipment has a massively overstated role among amateur guitarists. Until you really know what to do with the guitar, the type of guitar you're playing is going to have a really minor impact on the quality of the sound. I've seen guys rock the utter shit out of $80 instruments in professional settings.

At the same time, yes, I've seen guys bring in multiple guitars for single performances when they know what they're doing and have very specific sounds that they're going for. Hell, I've done performances both with shitty-assed half-broken keyboards and in a veritable cage of Organs, Synthesizers, and a Piano.

So with that, I would really say there is exactly one thing that is imperative to a starting guitar:
    Make sure it works. My first guitar had a fret sticking out of the neck that I had to hammer and file away at to get it where it should be. I ordered it online, and because it was ridiculously cheap, the quality control wasn't really there. However, after that, it's totally a guitar that I would feel comfortable bringing to real gigs. If you don't know about maintenance, then I recommend going to a shop and just asking them about cheap, starting guitars. If you have a friend who plays at all, ask them to come along and just do whatever on the guitar to feel it out, but for the most part you can trust the shop guys. If they say that to start out you really want to upgrade to a $500 guitar or something then maybe don't trust them, but their instruments should be free of any major defects.

I would also still recommend getting a starting amp, and while pack amps aren't exactly good, they're really not that bad. The alternative is getting a headphone amp. I've got one that is like, perfect to have. You plug it into the guitar, and put headphones on, and you get an amplified sound while there is no sound elsewhere. I use one to practice all the time. In general just remember that unless you're performing or something, the sound is more as a metric for yourself than for any sort of big impressive sound for other people.

Really to boil it down I would advise going into a store and asking about their starting guitars. If there's one you really like for one reason or another, then go with that, if you like the guitar even just for the colour or shape you'll be likely to pull it out and play with it, but don't get too worried about brands or bodies of starting guitars. Get one you like with no mechanical defects and that can last you forever.
    edited May 2013
    I'd almost completely settled on an idea. Buy a Squier for $100 now, if I get good I can buy the exact guitar I want. Like, maybe a Mexican-made Telecaster in red.

So, um.

There's a candy red tele for sale for $325 in the general region.

Must stay strong.
    Darkewolfe on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    Just to chime in, as I notice a lot of people talking about Squier but nobody has given you the breakdown of their range worst to best in case you weren't aware:

Bullet
    (Affinity) <- slightly thinner neck/body
    SE
    Standard
    Vintage Modified/Deluxe

My dad bought a Squier Bullet, and maybe he was unlucky but the tuners on it were pretty horrible. I think the truss rod needed some adjustment as well, so it did need a bit of work before it could actually hold its tuning properly.
    edited May 2013
    So, I went to the guitar center today. They didn't even really know how to begin to help me since I couldn't play a single chord on a guitar. They tried, they definitely tried, but in the end it was just, "Yeah, buy a Squier Affinity."

Since I still don't know ANYTHING I finally just popped on the cheap Squier I had found on craigslist that came with a shitty starter amp. It's functional, I'll teach myself some chords on it and in a few months I'll just look to buy something above Squier altogether.

I also feel like a complete fucking idiot, and I'm glad I didn't spend any real money. When I was checking out the guitar and everything seemed mostly alright, I didn't even realize the whammy bar that comes standard on it wasn't even on the goddamn thing. It wasn't until I got home and was trying really hard to tune it that I realized something was completely missing.

I don't know enough about this to make any sort of real purchase, and I guess I made a pretty stupid buy, but at least it was cheap. I'll try to teach myself as best I can on this one and then think about buying a real guitar in a few months.

Edit: And yeah, it probably sucks. I can't seem to get the B, G, or E to tune quite right. They go from one end to the other, skipping over the correct note.
    Darkewolfe on
    That said: Learning my very first guitar chord right now.
  • KhavallKhavall Registered User regular
    You can already play an Em13! Just strum!
  • goldgold Registered User regular
    Khavall wrote: »
    I'm going to stray away from advice about what kind of guitar to get and mention that for a first guitar it probably doesn't matter what kind of guitar you get. Equipment has a massively overstated role among amateur guitarists. Until you really know what to do with the guitar, the type of guitar you're playing is going to have a really minor impact on the quality of the sound. I've seen guys rock the utter shit out of $80 instruments in professional settings.

At the same time, yes, I've seen guys bring in multiple guitars for single performances when they know what they're doing and have very specific sounds that they're going for. Hell, I've done performances both with shitty-assed half-broken keyboards and in a veritable cage of Organs, Synthesizers, and a Piano.

So with that, I would really say there is exactly one thing that is imperative to a starting guitar:
    Make sure it works. My first guitar had a fret sticking out of the neck that I had to hammer and file away at to get it where it should be. I ordered it online, and because it was ridiculously cheap, the quality control wasn't really there. However, after that, it's totally a guitar that I would feel comfortable bringing to real gigs. If you don't know about maintenance, then I recommend going to a shop and just asking them about cheap, starting guitars. If you have a friend who plays at all, ask them to come along and just do whatever on the guitar to feel it out, but for the most part you can trust the shop guys. If they say that to start out you really want to upgrade to a $500 guitar or something then maybe don't trust them, but their instruments should be free of any major defects.

I would also still recommend getting a starting amp, and while pack amps aren't exactly good, they're really not that bad. The alternative is getting a headphone amp. I've got one that is like, perfect to have. You plug it into the guitar, and put headphones on, and you get an amplified sound while there is no sound elsewhere. I use one to practice all the time. In general just remember that unless you're performing or something, the sound is more as a metric for yourself than for any sort of big impressive sound for other people.

Really to boil it down I would advise going into a store and asking about their starting guitars. If there's one you really like for one reason or another, then go with that, if you like the guitar even just for the colour or shape you'll be likely to pull it out and play with it, but don't get too worried about brands or bodies of starting guitars. Get one you like with no mechanical defects and that can last you forever

Honestly this is the best advice giving in this thread. If you are just starting out, please DONT buy a $300 guitar. To most somewhat experienced players that’s considered a cheap guitar, but for someone just starting out that’s a lot of money. Be aware that every starter feels like playing guitar would be ‘cool’ (and it is) until they actually start playing. It’s hard, it requiers practice. You have to put in hours and hours of work and playing over the same songs until you get a feel for it, and then it takes years until you get comfortable.
    I’m not saying this to put you off, I’m just giving you the reason why you find so many guitars used that look like they’ve hardly been touched.
    Besides, picking up a cheap guitar can teach you so much. You’ll learn about playing but also if you move up in some time you’ll have a cheap guitar to take apart and learn about all the components and the way it’s built. That’s what I’ve been doing lately and it’s really so much fun.
    Start playing, play a lot of nirvana and ramones songs and have fun.

• goldgold Registered User regular
    Also, here's a good thread if you have any questions:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/26791384#Comment_26791384
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I also feel like a complete fucking idiot, and I'm glad I didn't spend any real money. When I was checking out the guitar and everything seemed mostly alright, I didn't even realize the whammy bar that comes standard on it wasn't even on the goddamn thing. It wasn't until I got home and was trying really hard to tune it that I realized something was completely missing.

I don't know enough about this to make any sort of real purchase, and I guess I made a pretty stupid buy, but at least it was cheap. I'll try to teach myself as best I can on this one and then think about buying a real guitar in a few months.

Edit: And yeah, it probably sucks. I can't seem to get the B, G, or E to tune quite right. They go from one end to the other, skipping over the correct note.

This is actually for the better, the whammy bar tends to just throw the entire tuning out, especially with cheaper bridges. Most people will just take them off and lock down the bridge to keep stability, which is far more important than being able to add a bit of vibrato. For a beginner and a beginners guitar, you will never need to use it.

For tuning, there's a neat little computer program called APTuner which helps out a lot if you can plug your guitar into your PC. If you find the tuning seems to 'skip' rather than be continuous, it's probably a combination of the strings catching on the nut (the bit of the guitar at the top of the neck that the strings rest in), the strings not being strung correctly, and the strings just being old. You can solve this by putting a new set on, giving the nut a clean, and also lubricating the grooves using a soft pencil.

Rook on