Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Designing a newspaper section

billwillbillwill Registered User regular
Hey guys,

I've been working for my university's newspaper as a copy editor for a semester now. I decided to apply for A+E editor for next semester, and I discovered today that I got it. I'm responsible for the stories that will run and the design of the section.

The current state of the section is pretty embarrassing; it looks like its thrown together (probably because it is). I know I can make it look better just by putting more work in. However, I would like to read and at least have a passing understanding of design laws and rules. I remember reading once that the bottom left part of a newspaper is where the small stories will be put, because that's the area most people don't notice. I want to know little things like that. I also want to know stuff about design beyond "does it look good," you know? I want to know ~why it looks good so I can spend more time polishing instead of repeated trial and error.

I don't want you to do the research for me, rather, if you already know of a resource online or a book I could purchase about this stuff, I'd be much obliged if you could point me in its direction.

Thanks in advance.
I hate you and you hate me.