Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[PATV] Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - Extra Credits Season 6, Ep. 10: The JC Penny’s Effect

• bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Sent in my email, but for the benefits of discussion.

Neither! Instead drop Effects.

I believe this has the value of both Gear and Material based systems.

Create a variable that describes a desirous attribute and style. For instance let's call that variable a Spirit, but it can just as easily be defined by Rune, Aura, Sigil, it doesn't matter.

When a drop occurs the item lists the what that spirit's affect is on character types and what type of item (let's say body part) it applies to.

So let's say I Kill a Fire Dragon.
    It drops a fire spirit that has an increase to fire standard and the following stats based on the archetypes. I being of the INT Magic Archetype pick up the spirit and I now am awarded with a Fire Wand. Were I of the Warrior Class I pick it up and it's a STR boosting Fire Axe.

The best attributes of evenly distributed loot needs matched with the instant reward gratification.

Then create a system for distilling that spirit so it can be reconstituted into other items. Thus you keep the crafting element.
    firstbanner.gif
  • LockvirLockvir Registered User new member
    I would recommend going back and watching Episode 18 about the skinner box. It may be relevant to keep in mind when talking about this.

And this got me thinking that in those terms maybe Fire Fall has made a deliberately weaker skinner box, rewarding often (instead of a big reward randomly seldom) and hoping that other aspects of the game will carry it home.

Anyway Episode 18 is a good one. Check it out if you have not.
  • LockvirLockvir Registered User new member
    I would recommend going back and watching Episode 18 about the skinner box. It may be relevant to keep in mind when talking about this.

And this got me thinking that in those terms maybe Fire Fall has made a deliberately weaker skinner box, rewarding often (instead of a big reward randomly seldom) and hoping that other aspects of the game will carry it home.

Anyway Episode 18 is a good one. Check it out if you have not.
  • Diamondback11Diamondback11 Registered User new member
    I know it's not terribly relevant to your point, but I think you're misidentifying the cause of JC Pennys failure. Or, at least, leaving out a big part of it.

They also abandoned their core customer by switching to higher priced products. They weren't just JC Penneys minus manipulative marketing strategies, they were a completely different store.

I think this could be seen as a theme as well... what happens when gaming companies abandon their core consumer in search of higher sales? Also known as, the future of Bioware.
  • UNHchaboUNHchabo Registered User regular
    There are other factors that need to be considered for JC Penney's sales decline:

1) Anecdotally, it seems like JC Penney's clothing is decreasing in quality. I used to shop there, but stopped after I had several items wear out prematurely.

2) JC Penney markets itself as mid-range, which is a dangerous proposition in a downturned economy. Most people will choose either to go cheap (Walmart), or they'll pay more (Macy's, Nordstrom), expecting that their investment will last longer. Target had an issue a couple years ago, because the market perception was that they were higher quality but more expensive than Walmart, so people were shopping at Walmart to save money. In many cases Target actually had the lowest price on a product, so they launched an advertising campaign to inform the public of this.

3) Some anti-gay groups reacted negatively to JC Penney using Ellen DeGeneres as their spokesperson starting in early 2012; although I'd like to think it didn't have that much of an impact, it's certainly possible, and could help explain a decline in sales.
  • scw55scw55 Registered User regular
    I think Monster Hunter does the 'drop craft materials' well.

Because eat item *looks like it is made from those materials*. And since those materials are animal body parts, you get some very funky looking gear.

A strong aesthetic makes this system appealing. I happily ground "Boss Snow Monkies" in that game because I liked the look of that full set of Monkey Armour. The fact you craft it yourself makes the item feel more personal. There's a slight "creepiness" attached to gear that drops. The gear feels 'second hand'.

As someone who studies Statistics for A Level, I dislike probability-drops. I know each time I kill X that there's a Y% the ultimate item will drop. If it's a sought-after item then the % will be proportionately low. I don't like thinking each time I try to kill X the Y stays constant. If it's a 1% drop chance, it will *always* be 1% each time. I prefer a more consistent progression.

Perhaps what they can do is have randomly "Bonus Materials". I liked the idea that when something drops, you may unlock a recipe. A thrill in Monster Hunter was that when you gathered a crafting material for the first time, you could see *everything* that could be made from it. You looted a rare black stone? Well then you get a preview of some super rare equipment made with various rare materials that you didn't know existed before hand.

From a narrative point of view it makes more sense. Why *would* a wolf be carrying around a pair of leather trousers? In less it was a were-man.
  • shahryarshahryar Registered User regular
    The problem with these systems is that it is loot based.
    we need the system from games like UO and SWG where you harvest resources and pure crafters exist again.
  • DrakkonDrakkon Registered User regular
    Hybrid system fix: Drop an item that can be deconstructed into mats you can craft if it isn't something that you can use. That way people can have items they can use, and if they can't, then they can deconstruct it down into mats to make something they can. Best of both worlds. Immediate gratification combined with upgradability. And when an item isn't relevant anymore, deconstruct it into mats to make something that is. Recycling! A future-based MMO should include recycling.
  • ShinyoShinyo Registered User regular
    I actually already do the components thing with Skyrim, and it's one of the best ways I've found to keep that game really fresh after playing it for over 500 hours. I've got a few mods that let me break down loot. So whenever I find a non-unique piece of loot in the game, I take it, but I don't immediately equip it. I take it back to a smelter and break it down into baser components, then use that to either create new gear for myself, OR I have another mod that lets me pay a more skilled NPC blacksmith or enchanter to do it for me. Either way, it's way more gratifying to know that I EARNED every piece of that full suit of steel plate armor, I didn't just shank a dude and steal it all from him.
    I've also found that this also keeps lower level loot a gratifying reward as well. Even if that bandit only has an iron waraxe and I'm already decked out in orichalicum, I can still break that waraxe down into iron ingots, and use that to create nails and hinges for my Hearthfire estate.
  • chethecatchethecat Registered User new member
    An interesting conundrum. Have anyone of you hear of Horizons? An MMO from a decade ago. Apparently now f2p, as I just looked it up so I'm not sure how it works now. In 2003 -- it was all about crafting. EVERY item in the game except the apprentice materials was crafted. All weapons, armor, potions, food, etc. Everything except the materials to make them (and vendor fodder to sell for some coins)... and even then they usually had to be refined in some way (logs of wood sawed into boards which could then be made into something....) It also included player owned property with different zoning. Commercial, housing, etc. That determined what types of buildings you could put up. Or rather plan because then you had to craft it all or pay someone to do it.

I LOVED IT. I played this game because it was about crafting. Also when you "quit" a skill set and then went back to it you didn't start at zero, you picked up where you left off. So I was into nearly every aspect of crafting.

The game suffered, though. The only real loot drops were things for higher end crafting. No new weapons or armor. There were no dungeons, raids or the like really. The only real purpose in adventuring was to get materials for crafting... or be strong enough to survive the higher areas for it.

The game tanked after a while. When they did a major switch over and merged servers to cut costs and with it totally changed where everything was I sort of lost interest. But to get there thousands had lost interest before me.

I don't have empirical evidence. My gut tells me the reason is (or at least one of them) because there wasn't any loot really. There was no reason to go out and adventure compared to the more common MMO where you might get that epic sword, breastplate, blaster, lightsaber, et al. So will it work for FireFall?

I'm sure there are a lot more options than the one in my head... but if you are limited in the number of crafting skills you can take and have to rely on others, it isn't going to work. If you can only upgrade one type of equipment (armor, weapons, shields, jetpack....) but will want all those upgrades, this method will fail. That's what random loot drops solve. You might only have one crafting ability, but you can still get new loot. If all the loot drops are solely for crafting, but you can only do one thing... it won't fly.
  • radiosigurtwinradiosigurtwin Registered User new member
    I almost wonder if this survey will separate the people who go to Vegas for the weekend from the people who invest their money.

I see a time investment in a piece of gear where perhaps others see the fun of the pursuit. I have a goal for end-game with MMOs. While the goal is lofty, there's a path to experience the growth of your character. Component drops give an exact time crunch for X piece of gear. Any number of runs through a dungeon, conversely, can give a vast probability of success when gear grinding. I can see how the "JC Penny" implementation of gear creation can take away a huge amount of fun factor. It's not as dynamic. It's straight, easy math. That shiny purple drop has a vastly lower percentage of dropping but the anticipation for it is palpable--more tangible perhaps than the reward itself. The experienced gamer would see the benefit. Flat out: time = reward. This isn't necessarily so with a WoW dungeon run. That enraging probability destroyed many a 25-man guild.

I don't find straight components a solution, either. I talk about it and think, "who the hell wants to save their money for fun?" World of Bankcraft I think might have a niche audience, but my curiosity ends where this sentence does. The most fun gear system I've played with is in a game I'm ashamed to admit I enjoyed just a few months ago. A terribly written game like Dark Cloud 2 for its weapon system alone is a fun time investment for me. Once you mute the cut-scenes and sometimes even turn off the TV to not be disturbed by the badly-acted cross-dressing fish, the game brings together a kind of component grind WITH gear drop. You level up a piece of gear, break it down into components and absorb it into your main weapon to get a percentage or even all of its abilities added in. It even evolves into other things adding a feeling of accomplishment beyond the feeling of grinding a +67 Bastard Sword of Nofather.

Perhaps off topic: I feel it takes an experienced--perhaps jaded--gamer to have a palette for the grind and see that the end-game is a temporary state, somewhat depending on the genre. It feels great to have your +5 Mighty Wangus of God sword earned, crafted, whatever. The reality is it'll last one or two more chapters, dungeons, levels until an expansion comes out, you finish the game, you find another sword... It doesn't really change the fruit I'm after in the experience. Unless there's a "new game +" option, it's not like you can take your gear with you or even experience a game the same way the second time through holy cock-slapping your opponents into oblivion game genie style. For me "Why?" becomes the broken record track in my head space. Replaying the same act over and over looking at those pretty particle effects, or getting those last achievements becomes a different grind entirely. There might be a goal, but there isn't a real feeling of accomplishment. A different kind of connoisseur would have to emerge. Maybe you can make a +6? But, again, why would you want to? Bragging rights on your friends list, twitter, facebook where you didn't realize you were autoposting to and now all your friends know you played Barbie Horse Adventures and found the elusive Mighty Wangus of God sword? Only one sad person gets the "best" crown. It's the experience that drive me, not the grind ... necessarily. Then again, the best systems have figured out how to make the two non-exclusive.

Blah, I'm pinning down what I wanted to say with the same effectiveness as a new born pins down a greased warthog, but you've inspired me to actually say something, perhaps to the ether. Hello ether! A good exercise anyway in giving voice to a thought I've had for a few years now.

Thank you, I guess, for making me care? Score one against apathy. I enjoy your show.
  • iamnamelessiamnameless Registered User regular
    The problem with "JC Penny" loot system is that it breaks the skinner box. Skinner box only works when we DON'T KNOW what we are going to get every time we press the button. It makes us press button like mad! Once you remove that - you remove the main element that makes the system actually accomplish what it was designed to accomplish - KEEP PLAYERS PLAYING THE GAME.
  • PiggiePiggie Registered User regular
    This should probably be the "Kohls vs. JC Penny" effect. My family shops at Kohls all the time, but I never look at anything but the clearance rack because those are the only things that are ACTUALLY on sale. I would be surprised if their number of sales items isn't 80% or above.
  • wheelswheels Registered User new member
    I would still argue that component is better than gear because you are simply cutting away the fat that is presented in the gear approach to loot drops. I cant tell you how annoyed i am in dungeon crawlers like torchlight when i pick up a bunch of shit i don't need for hours just to get 1 item that is marginal better then my current set 3 hours later. This is especially true as what it is that i crave in an rpg is an abundance of choices as to how i build my character. using the intricacies of the games mechanics to brag about how my character can dish out ridiculous amounts of damage. Making me have choices as to how i use my components to upgrade my gear versus hoping that i will get that 1 item drop with the stats i want is all around better in my book
    In the end i think it all depends on the game. if pvp is the desired end game, component drops make more sense since players can always measure themselves to other people without having to swim through a sea of useless item drops. if pve is the desired end game and players dont compare themselves to much to other players, then you need another way to mark progress like tougher enemies that you couldn't previously beat or a gear loot drop s
  • CMBoydCMBoyd Registered User new member
    I would break gear down into specific modular components. Both guns and jetpacks would have power crystals and AI chips (for example). A power crystal for a gun would increase it's damage, whereas a power crystal for a jetpack would reduce the cooldown necessary between uses (or extend it's use?). Similarly the AI chip would increase your hit chance (crit chance?) or provide a bit of auto-aim or something for the gun and it would provide better fuel management (longer boost?) for the jetpack. So, instead of dropping components which can be used at a later date, you instead drop components that can be used immediately to power up your gear, while still being valuable to everyone (even though the value provided is different). It also allows you to have a bit more randomization and luck elements to getting gear (farming and grinding are in for those who want it)
  • darkmage0707077darkmage0707077 Registered User regular
    Not sure how good this survey is going to be, since your sample consists entirely of those who've seen the episode. And since we've seen the episode, this pre-disposes us to pick the "correct" path of "Obviously I want the components (you told me that was the right answer, and I'm not/don't want to be a lobotomized Skinner-box child).". That and I'm not sure that enough people watch the show to make a statistically large enough sample.

To get less biased data from a larger sampling pool, how about giving us a copy/pastable blurb on the sidebar under Episode Notes so we can paste it to our Facebook walls (for bonus points, have it fit into a Twitter post somehow)? It would be one paragraph saying something like:

"This is an informal survey into video game player behavior. In MMOGs like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2, do you think it would be better for monsters to drop complete items (even if it's sometimes an item you can't use) or crafting components (even if you have to wait to get back to town to make an item with them)? Send your vote to survey@extra-credits.net by <date>, then go to <Penny Arcade> to see the results on <date>."

Then we can ask people who aren't influenced by your show to vote, too, and you'll have more statistically relevant info (and, perhaps, free plugging for your show...).
    The way of the Paladin:
    To Seek,
    To Learn,
    To Do.
    -QFG2

If the speed of light is faster then the speed of sound, is that why people always appear bright until they speak? o_O
  • SixWaysSixWays Registered User regular
    Far Cry 3 is a great example of the system you propose where any time you pick up enough components to craft a new item, a pop-up tells you so.

And I also like your idea of selecting something to craft and watching the bar fill up. But people might not like it if they can't change their mind once they choose their next upgrade/item. That might make it "feel" bad. But giving them the option to change at any time might make it too close to just collecting components to craft later, in which case you don't gain anything. Just a thought.
  • naardejoodnaardejood Registered User new member
    Just a heads-up: Mobs in Firefall don't drop enough mats to make killing them worth it when compared to humping a thumper, and you can't equip more than two or three improved pieces of gear without going over your constraints and being penalized. Most folks run around in stock gear and mostly ignore the crafting altogether.
  • DoctorHoboDoctorHobo Registered User new member
    I think a drop system like Guild Wars 2 would work best. Every character that assisted in killing a mob has their drop rolled for them individually. In addition to reducing disincentives to playing with other people, it would allow for interesting mechanics to be added on. Such as only rolling for gear you could use with the gear system, or increasing the chances of getting the (type of) component you want, by selecting what item you're working towards.
  • meiammeiam Registered User regular
    This is what I wrote in the survey:

"Gear

Such an easy answer, firefall is F2P. Having component drop just scream that eventually they'll just straight up sell the component a la Dead space 3.

Even in a P2P you run into the problem of group funneling component into specific player, and everyone else essentially getting no gear for a few week."

Some people will come and be all "but firefall will be different, look at LoL they don't sell power" Lol started when the F2P market was empty, now it's overblow, firefall will just be one in a million F2P and won't have the player base and the luxury to not sell power.

You could say "they can just just straight up sell gear" but they won't cause that would be too obviously selling power (they touched on that in that episode, people = stupid straight up selling power is bad, but selling crafting piece slide in so much better). They probably said at some point they weren't going to sell power, but the planetside 2 guys said that a million time and it's just not true.
  • rainbowhyphenrainbowhyphen Registered User regular
    @meiam: I must disagree.

First off, the F2P market was not empty when League of Legends launched in 2009. There were already hundreds of F2P games out by then. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free_massively_multiplayer_online_games and sort by date just for the MMOs.

Moreover, Path of Exile exists. It is brand new, making money hand over fist, and sells only cosmetic items in its store. Firefall has at least as much visibility as PoE. There's no reason they can't succeed on the same terms.
  • WhitefireWhitefire Registered User new member
    To expand on what darkmage and UNHchabo were saying, the data for the survey won't be very useful because people may report their preference one way but act differently in practice. I think our logical side understands that Fair and Square is a better alternative, but the emotional part of shopping (and gameplay) favors the discounts (and gear drops). In the end, actions speak louder than words.

The best way to test it would be to compare how much people actually played games with each drop mechanic. A statistically significant difference between the amount of time people choose to play Mechanic A or Mechanic B would tell you what people would prefer. You could even add a survey at the end, but hard test data trumps surveys/self-report data every time.
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    We can't have nice things. When presented with nice things, we have collectively proven, time and again, that we don't deserve it either.
  • UNHchaboUNHchabo Registered User regular
    @Whitefire - My comment was more to the fact that this single change in policy can't be automatically taken as the only (or even the primary) reason JCPenney is doing poorly, when there are other factors that need to be taken into account.
  • lawragatajarlawragatajar Registered User regular
    I think I prefer gear. The issue with materials is that unless you are looking for something specific, the value is unclear; whereas, gear can be directly compared to what you already have.
  • SeraphaelSeraphael Registered User new member
    I myself subscribe to that notion of only paying what the value for something really is not what the seller tells me its worth. I prefer components over actual gear because if I cant use it in any way its useless to me. I am a hoarder as in I try to collect everything that is available in the game if it is loot based, but only on single player games, I never do that in MMO's. Components are better for me because no that I have gathered everything that I need, I can make something great, that is just for me, tailored for me, for my needs and my desires, and that feels good. I like being a creator.
  • YaronGAYaronGA Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    "COMPONENTS"
    We just need to modify the feedback so players can still have the joy they get from "Gear", but do it in a way that is fairer to the player, and more satisfying to them as well.

- You can put in a criteria for what you want, and the game will give you feedback in a manner that feels rewarding:
    + 1st option is a general search, you want let's say a "+10 helmet/armor at least", you select the proper options and go grinding, and based on the components you have, the system lets you know if you have gathered enough components to craft such an item
    ++ This system is a hybrid of the loot drop, you still don't know what item you are going to get, but you know what you are looking for.
    ++ The system can also auto update you if at any point you can craft an item that greatly improves on one of your existing gear, either covers more stats, or has better values for each stat
    + 2nd option is specific item quest, you know what item you want to craft, for example a "stick of truth", and the system let's you know how close you are and what you still need before you can craft that item.
    ++ this covers another but different aspect of gear, collections, it let's you grind to try and find and collect the whole set
    + both options give you a sense of self defined quest for semi specific loot, which is something you normally grind for in a gear scenario, a better sword, a better helmet, a new ring - you are looking to improve your character's stats in some specific way either with a specific item or a minimal bonus - these two options cover both sensations in a way that let's you feel on a self defined quest for self improvement

- An additional option to improve on gear is "potential outfitting", basically this will allows you to go into a special state where you can ask the system to tell you the maximum value you can craft into stats given the components at hand:
    + let's say you want maximal speed, you select "max speed", you have a representation of your character that is now outfitted with nothing but the best "speed bonus" items you can craft.
    ++ You can drag these items onto your real character outfitting, lets say a belt that makes you lighter and requires 2 pieces of metal and one rare crystal.
    ++ The components you need to craft the "speed belt" will become transparent, and you now want the best defense, the representation now fills with the best "defense granting" items you can craft with the remaining components, assuming you will be using the 2 pieces of metal and the rare crystal to craft the "speed belt".
    + This system grants the player the joy of customizing and tweaking the character to the best of their ability with what they has available, similar to what would happen in a normal GEAR system after you have enough items.
    - regardless the crafting system should indeed include the "new items unlocked" feedback when discovering new components for the first time - this will grant them the same rush as finding rare loot, even if they have nothing they can craft with it at the exact moment - they will know there is something new to see.
    YaronGA on
  • SeraphaelSeraphael Registered User new member
    @radiosigurtwinradiosigurtwin
    I also enjoyed the Dark Cloud Games. The writting wasn't that bad, but the item system with the ability to break down pretty much everything, weapons or armor or standard items such as food or bombs kept things interesting.
  • theangrykoboldtheangrykobold Registered User new member
    *cough* monster hunter *cough*

Firefall will know the wrath of the desire sensor
  • boostybleepboostybleep Registered User new member
    edited May 2013
    Why not have both, player selects their preference for either item or crafting when looting. Game always drops items but if set to crafting then breaks up into component parts. Problem solved.
    boostybleep on
  • BlackjokerBlackjoker Registered User new member
    In my case...I'm not sure. On the one hand I like the idea of crafting materials, if only because in a lot of games I'm kind of a craftaholic. I LOVE making things and I liked watching my crafting skills improve. I agree the items being worthless is an annoyance but...to be honest I'm not sure. See there is a secondary feature here, aside from getting loot, you also get practice in the various dungeons. Now yeah, some dungeons can be just dull and tedious, run only to get that specific item, but some can be reasonably fun. What worries me more is that if we go to this system we could end up with a lot of guys just sitting on their hands.

I think it might be worth remembering that City of Heroes actually did manage to make a workable crafting thing with enemies giving you craft items and recipes, but I will also admit some frustration in practice. What I think might be good is a combination, something like this 'When Item X drops, classes that item X is not useful for will instead get crafting items" or something similar. This is also nice because it means that even if people might not normally need/want to go on something 'There's nothing there I need' instead they can get crafting materials which should still be useful to them.
  • grigjd3grigjd3 Registered User regular
    This isn't the best way to look at this problem in relationship to games. In game items have no intrinsic value outside the context of the game. I can't wear my sword of badassitude in the game of many sneering dragons in the real world. The poleaxe of shoving up butts can't be used to defeat the evil desk-jockey of purchase denials that I deal with every week and my armor of tankness has no effect on the rants my boss throws when he's upset that the evil desk-jockey continues to deny my purchase orders. No, my in game items do not directly help me with my real life problems. On the other hand, the more a game entertains me, the more crap I am willing to put up with from my boss and the more I tenacious I will be with previously mentioned administrators because I will generally be a happier person. That is to say, if I enjoy the loot system less, then the game is providing less value. If I enjoy the loot system more, then the game is providing more value. No-one is being cheated by a loot system that they have fun with. If I can have a given level of fun with a game for a hundred hours, why would I want to shrink that to the same level of fun for only twenty hours. No! The best deal for a game is the game that provides me the most overall enjoyment! Everything else is crap.
  • AetrionAetrion Registered User regular
    I don't like finding items or materials in MMOs.

To me the notion of "Item Progression" is the problem, not how you obtain the items. Firefall is a perfect example of an MMO that just bores me to tears with it's pre-fab classes that don't give you any meaningful choices. It's no better than WoW in that regard. You aren't actually designing and building a character all of your own, you're just collecting puzzle pieces to the character the developers envisioned for you.

I like games where items aren't a progression, but rather a choice. Do I carry a sword in one hand and a magic wand in the other? Maybe a two handed spear? A bow? A shield perhaps? Do I want to attach a pouch full of potions to my belt? A spellbook? A dagger? What do I have in my pocket? A shuriken? Some sand?

The problem with items in MMO is that they aren't treated as objects you use to perform tasks, but rather as simply a piece of your character that gets stronger and changes looks as you play. This is done to the point where your character can't even use most items, because their function isn't part of the characters narrowly defined role.
  • rasingram2rasingram2 Registered User new member
    Could you not have a best of both worlds system, where you get items, and you can decide whether to take them apart or not, so if you get something you can't use, or not as good as what you have already, it can be stripped for parts as part of the crafting system, but it could be used straight away. the way you described the Firefall, with upgrades to gear, this could mean you could take one part out to upgrade something of yours and then sell on the rest to someone else as a functional item, just not as powerful as the original item. This could also allow for a change where if you defeat someone with an overpowered attack, excess damage is applied to the items they drop, and you lose components.
    @rasingram2: Yes, you could. That's essentially what Path of Exile does by using alteration orbs and such as currency.
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    @Aetrion: What would you like then?

The fact of the matter is, MMOs are based on progression. So without item progression, which rather arbitrarily locks out lower characters with less armour/DPS from end-game content, you're left with XP progression, so where your character itself is arbitrarily locked out from end-game content, or perhaps player progression, where execution locks newer players out from end-game content (Guitar Hero the MMO).

Player progression is probably the most rewarding of the three, supposing that you can master it. However, everyone will not be able to play at end-game execution level, and a lot of people will not want to spend the time to get to that level. So it rather unfairly locks people out of a lot of story in a story-heavy genre.

XP progression is really the same as item progression in the most part. All it does is increase the damage and health numbers on your character based on your time spent in the game. The only thing that XP does differently to swapping your sword up a notch every level is in unlockable skill powers. These powers will largely take two forms, combat and utility.

Combat powers are your generic attack powers. XP progression here will unlock new combat powers that are higher damaging than your previous powers, or will upgrade your current powers. Again an internal number increments and you can suddenly mitigate or deal more damage.

Utility powers have uses outside of combat. These are likely to be more interesting and allow you to influence or act upon the game world in a new way. However, they generally aren't used to gate off gameplay, as not every character will pick the same utility powers and so any content gated off by them will become the exclusive realm of only some of the player population. This means some players miss out, and any such content is not cost effective to make. So in games which do this a lot, there will be multiple utility paths that all lead to the same content, so that everyone can gain access no matter which utilities they pick. So utility powers and the picking or lack thereof rarely affect progression and may just exist to be vanity items or to be a trivial point of differentiation between characters (not a bad thing, but doesn't affect the path of the character at all).

So if you don't want progression through items, then the alternatives I can think of are progression through XP or player skill. The latter is a bit restrictive on the player base, and the former is pretty identical to item progression anyway.

If you don't want progression at all, then there will be little achievement in getting to the end of the story. Doesn't make the game invalid, but it does mean that there is little point sticking around once the story has concluded, and little point to grinding. So players are unlikely to stick around and be social, and the MMO part will be hard to sustain without a constant influx of new players. So it just turns the game into a more story-driven single or multiplayer affair.

Character progression is what entices people to MMOs and keeps them interested in the game. A lot of this progression is not mechanically different to item progression, so short of becoming a FPS or requiring some other component of player progression, I'm not sure how you'd be able to separate an MMO from its item/XP treadmill.
  • isocrydisocryd Registered User new member
    This system could be fixed if drops were re-added, but with the option to recycle them.
    Parts instead of gear?
    Of course it's practical, but
    Gift cards aren't much fun.
  • MonkeyKing1969MonkeyKing1969 Library Man Cape CodRegistered User regular
    I like "parts" over "gear" as long as SOME of those parts might slot into gear I am already using right away. The example would be places gems or ore into slots on my armor and weapons right away, or saving gems and ore to combine later for crafting better gear. Sort of a combo system, of use it now and/or use it later. Epic gear I can never use is never fun...but that is a whole other problem with most role-play or loot games.
  • HyristHyrist Registered User new member
    Here's a twist on the question, because it begged to be ask when I viewed it.

What GAMES have we encountered that did crafting components as part of drops well? And we an derive how such things can work also by how popular they are.

In support of the component drop system, I'm going to cite two examples in which crafting components were often as exciting, or more exciting than the raw loot drops.

Minecraft, and Skyrim.

In Minecraft, the entire game was based around what components you would find to build and shape the world around you, and on their rarity or difficulty and danger to acquire, diamonds were a drop that provided a good deal of excitement, especially when received for the first time.

In Skryrim, the games most powerful weapons and armor are crafted by the hand of the player. The time invested growing skill and gathering the materials are rewarded by being able to make something legendary by your own hands - and this is a significant leap in development of gaming as it provides a feeling of empowerment through a means that is not often met these days. Not only that but being able to make the weapon endears the player to it. A legendary sword that pops out of the rump of some large dragon isn't going to feel as good when the next monster down the line is simply going to drop something better. But creating a legendary weapon of your own is going to make you more reluctant to put it down, and instead incite the desire to improve the weapon to keep up with the loot curve. If you provide the mechanics to satiate this desire, then suddenly you've got another attractive gameplay aspect to work with.

But more importantly than the up and down waves of feel, is this feeling of continual progression, rather than Skinner-box luck that provides an addictive, but ultimately abusive system. As I have aged as a gamer, the idea of 'getting lucky' with a drop is no longer as exciting as the feeling of accomplishment through progression and hard work.

In the end, both sorts of excitement are needed to make a game worthwhile, and I have a feeling that Firefall will eventually post unique loot in order to stay with the curve. But if they provide a means of making your own incredible weapon and bring that idea to the forefront, while still having the chance of picking up powerful but not the best gear from the game, people will ease themselves into the component scene and enjoy it.