Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Where the intangible meets the insubstantial: IP, international law and enforcement

• ronyaronya hmmm over there!Registered User regular
    remember that you are not merely proposing to bribe a government into implementing policy you like; you are necessarily going to have to fund enforcement as well for it to be attractive. and first world standards of law and order are hideously expensive.
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    I don't think I really accept the premise of the OP. Small countries are not strong arming powerful countries at all. They are just doing what people have done for eternity. They see something somewhere else they like or need and copy it if it suits their purposes. Seeking to grant by some authority, moral, military or legal, the right for powerful countries to create a regime that protects their own domestic interests, in this case, intellectual property law as it has evolved in the US in the last 30 years seems a bit like sour grapes or bullying or rewriting rules in such a way that entrenches one's position. Why should the US/West be able to create a strong framework of international rules that principally benefits their current philosophy on intangible property?

Maybe we could see this as a contract. If the US/West wants this, perhaps they pay for the privilege in real terms, not threats
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    remember that you are not merely proposing to bribe a government into implementing policy you like; you are necessarily going to have to fund enforcement as well for it to be attractive. and first world standards of law and order are hideously expensive.

I'm not sure that enforcement needs to on going or at first world standards here, but let's assume that nothing I have said in this thread is at all workable. What is the answer? Surely it can't be that the third world is an untouchable den of IP iniquity which everyone is the world is powerless to change.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I don't see countries as the main threat to IP internationally. Rather, it's the multinational corporations which have a business model based on manipulation of raw content that are.

It's odd though because in the case of IP thief #1, it's state owned companies doing the rip offs, and often government employed hackers doing the stealing.
    tinwhiskers on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

I'm not sure that enforcement needs to on going or at first world standards here, but let's assume that nothing I have said in this thread is at all workable. What is the answer? Surely it can't be that the third world is an untouchable den of IP iniquity which everyone is the world is powerless to change.

You have to accept there might not be a better solution than what we have now.
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I don't think I really accept the premise of the OP. Small countries are not strong arming powerful countries at all. They are just doing what people have done for eternity. They see something somewhere else they like or need and copy it if it suits their purposes. Seeking to grant by some authority, moral, military or legal, the right for powerful countries to create a regime that protects their own domestic interests, in this case, intellectual property law as it has evolved in the US in the last 30 years seems a bit like sour grapes or bullying or rewriting rules in such a way that entrenches one's position. Why should the US/West be able to create a strong framework of international rules that principally benefits their current philosophy on intangible property?

Maybe we could see this as a contract. If the US/West wants this, perhaps they pay for the privilege in real terms, not threats

But these weaker countries are already benefiting from the brave new world in which no one will take them over as a colony or conquer them otherwise. They're already forging an evolving nation in a nerf ball world, so I don't lament their loss of the more cavalier and aggressive position that their predecessors had towards IP.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    SKFM, can you spell out how does the US government and citizenry as a whole benefit from stronger international enforcement of IP laws? Even assuming that there were only a moderate cost (which there wouldn't be - trying to enforce IP law in other countries would be like trying to fight the drug war in other countries), what is the benefit for me as a citizen of the US government stopping someone in Cambodia from infringing on Apple's IP?
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Squidget0 wrote: »
    SKFM, can you spell out how does the US government and citizenry as a whole benefit from stronger international enforcement of IP laws? Even assuming that there were only a moderate cost (which there wouldn't be - trying to enforce IP law in other countries would be like trying to fight the drug war in other countries), what is the benefit for me as a citizen of the US government stopping someone in Cambodia from infringing on Apple's IP?

IP is one of (if not THE) main exports of the US currently.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular

Since the stated purpose of IP law is to spur innovation, doesn't this fact suggest that current IP law is adequate? Is there evidence that we would be seeing significantly more innovation from US companies if IP law were somehow enforced in third-world countries?

practical enforcement of IP rights, even in the first world, requires consumers wealthy enough to demand a non-fly-by-night brand, which is what gives investigators any physical capability at all to even track down who is churning out the Guci handbags and Sany headphones. So, yes, your only answer is to sit and wait for development to happen.

this is quite aside from the issue of state-endorsed renunciation of specific IP claims, which is what I believe initially sparked this line of discussion. I should point out that specific waivers of certain medical patents are part of international treaties here.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Since the stated purpose of IP law is to spur innovation, doesn't this fact suggest that current IP law is adequate? Is there evidence that we would be seeing significantly more innovation from US companies if IP law were somehow enforced in third-world countries?

While this is getting away from the initial concept of third world nations, there's a growing issue with smaller content creators not being able to sustain themselves. There are fewer working musicians now, for example. This is hurting innovation.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Yes, well the major nations now exploited the shit out of them for quite a while. I'm not going to shed any tears if they try to catch up in any reasonable way

That's fine. We just disagree here. I have a hard enough time with what I see as the injustice that a beleaguered nation like Israel can't just oust its attackers from its borders as all modern nations did when they were being formed, but that is a whole other topic. In the absence of an overarching world government with a monopoly on the legal use of force among sovereigns, I have a hard time understanding why might should not make right as between sovereigns.

because the period of might making right was horrifically bloody

and I don't even mean the world wars, I mean the wars of religion, which only stopped because the protestants and counter-reformation both were too exhausted to continue

practical enforcement of IP rights, even in the first world, requires consumers wealthy enough to demand a non-fly-by-night brand, which is what gives investigators any physical capability at all to even track down who is churning out the Guci handbags and Sany headphones. So, yes, your only answer is to sit and wait for development to happen.

this is quite aside from the issue of state-endorsed renunciation of specific IP claims, which is what I believe initially sparked this line of discussion. I should point out that specific waivers of certain medical patents are part of international treaties here.

Doesn't it depend on the infringement? As you correctly note, this started with the entrenched illegal generic drug trades in many countries. Putting aside the specific exceptions, it strikes me that these types of IP violations ought to be quite easy to deal with, as they occur in discrete, permanent factories. Sure, we can't stamp out all pirated dvd sales in the US or China, but I think we could probably shut down all the factories pretty easily.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Oh, okay so it's moved here.

I still do not understand at all what is wrong or strange here.

I think the only reason you find this strange is because you've decided that there is a list of countries ranking them in order from Strongest to Weakest in a very particular order across all categories.

If your argument is "This is perverse! The strongest can't convince the weakest to do anything!" then the actual thing to conclude is that your ranking system is either off or irrelevant in this case.

Edit: Why would we shut down pirated DVD factories in China?
    durandal4532 on
    basically you're right, there's this odd dividing line drawn around the close of world war two where ethnic cleansing became internationally unacceptable, and nation-states that failed to purge their countries in time just had to deal, whereas nation-states that (say) purged armenians just a short while before got to keep hold of all that territory.

but, you see, I don't prize consistency so much that I see any problem with saying that ethnic cleansing is unacceptable!
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    Yeah, at some point we basically drew a line and said "okay what went before was pretty terrible, but it's not like we can go back and fix it, but we can stop it from happening in the future"

It kinda does disadvantage newer forming countries vs already established ones, but I'm okay with that because of how terrible things were before

Doesn't it depend on the infringement? As you correctly note, this started with the entrenched illegal generic drug trades in many countries. Putting aside the specific exceptions, it strikes me that these types of IP violations ought to be quite easy to deal with, as they occur in discrete, permanent factories. Sure, we can't stamp out all pirated dvd sales in the US or China, but I think we could probably shut down all the factories pretty easily.

illegality is, of course, something to be decided by treaty and government. It might not be your government, at that. See: nationalization and taxation, more generally. If your government can seize stuff from you, why can't it seize stuff from foreigners within the scope of its powers?

as for factories - no, not really. Here is a factory:

2008310125856254345_Nicer.jpg

there's nothing here that is particularly permanent. And note that we haven't even gotten into forms of IP theft like "making more copies of a legally-subcontracted order than required, then quietly selling those extra copies without paying the IP fees for those".
    edited May 2013
    basically you're right, there's this odd dividing line drawn around the close of world war two where ethnic cleansing became internationally unacceptable, and nation-states that failed to purge their countries in time just had to deal, whereas nation-states that (say) purged armenians just a short while before got to keep hold of all that territory.

but, you see, I don't prize consistency so much that I see any problem with saying that ethnic cleansing is unacceptable!

You don't see the perversion in having a strong military nation which is forced to endure rockets being fired over its borders for all time because it isn't allowed to remove them? This is honestly a concept that I can't quite grasp. Governments are able to subvert the usual "might makes right" course among their citizens because the government itself is so much stronger than any individual. That is not the case in the international community.

Lets say that President Obama was to read this thread and say "that Spacekungfuman is making a lot of sense. I'm branding all the knock off pill factories in Myanmar as terrorist cells and sending drones in to blow them up tomorrow." Would the US face effective sanctions? Would it face any sanctions at all? Can the UN even really sanction the US?
    spacekungfuman on

I think the only reason you find this strange is because you've decided that there is a list of countries ranking them in order from Strongest to Weakest in a very particular order across all categories.

If your argument is "This is perverse! The strongest can't convince the weakest to do anything!" then the actual thing to conclude is that your ranking system is either off or irrelevant in this case.

Why should it be irrelevant though?

Why wouldn't we shut down the Chinese DVD pirates if we could? They are stealing from US film studios.

• ZeeyahtZeeyaht Registered User regular
    we should shut down those chinese dvd pirates by first bombing the hell out of them. Then the US marines should invade China, and not leave a single man or child found in their facilities alive (preferably using knives and whips rather than firearms); the women should be kept alive, and be forced to suffer the wanton embraces of the invaders.

No sanctions would be enforced upon the US. If they were, repeat the Chinese DVD pirates process ad infinitum.

illegality is, of course, something to be decided by treaty and government. It might not be your government, at that. See: nationalization and taxation, more generally. If your government can seize stuff from you, why can't it seize stuff from foreigners within the scope of its powers?

there's nothing here that is particularly permanent. And note that we haven't even gotten into forms of IP theft like "making more copies of a legally-subcontracted order than required, then quietly selling those extra copies without paying the IP fees for those".

My whole position is that the "scope of its powers" seems like it should end when it runs into a more powerful opponent, like the US.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

You don't see the perversion in having a strong military nation which is forced to endure rockets being fired over its borders for all time because it isn't allowed to remove them? This is honestly a concept that I can't quite grasp. Governments are able to subvert the usual "might makes right" course among their citizens because the government itself is so much stronger than any individual. That is not the case in the international community.

Lets say that President Obama was to read this thread and say "that Spacekungfuman is making a lot of sense. I'm branding all the knock off pill factories in Myanmar as terrorist cells and sending drones in to blow them up tomorrow." Would the US face effective sanctions? Would it face any sanctions at all? Can the UN even really sanction the US?

No, instead there would be hell to pay for America's reputation, treaties would potentially be broken, allies would start to back away from specific actions they disagree with or end the alliance completely. God help America if any third world country tried fighting back. Drones are easier to slip in and out of countries easily, not battalions of soldiers and military ships/aircraft.

Why should it be irrelevant though?

Why wouldn't we shut down the Chinese DVD pirates if we could? They are stealing from US film studios.

It'd strain America's relationship with China. China is extremely protective of their citizens.
    Harry Dresden on
    edited May 2013

no, I don't see it as perverse

the thing about a standard of collateral damage in the form of "let's purge them all" is that it is explicitly escalatory. this is exactly how wars are 'won' with half your population dead.

and you cannot pledge to only do it to countries weaker than you, because (1) that is never clear (2) countries get weaker and stronger all the time, and a strong country now seeing itself becoming weaker would take the opportunity to murder the hell out of anybody within striking distance. given modern technology, that's easily a whole continent.

as for "can the UN really dent a superpower", the last time a superpower flounced out of a security council vote, the entire united nations endorsed military action on its favoured proxy. this is admittedly an extreme case, but you were positing an extreme scenario.
    ronya on

My whole position is that the "scope of its powers" seems like it should end when it runs into a more powerful opponent, like the US.

you are still getting it wrong; the US created these institutions to further its own geopolitical objectives, like, say, not descending into another collapse of global trade
    "They are stealing" is insufficient reason.

Should it be in the US interest, we can choose to redefine what Chinese pirate DVD factories are doing.

I think, for instance, it is likely that treating it as theft would likely damage a relationship worth more than the pittance of lost DVD sales for some businesses in the US. Why treat it as theft, then?
    the scenario where the US deliberately collapses the WTO - as opposed to merely ignoring its dispute resolutions - is quite within the scope of American power

it is merely that a world without an entrenched trade system underpinned with Most Favoured Nation, is not a world the US fancies either
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Let's be clear here - someone CAN be legitimately shot for stealing a purse.

Someone steals your purse, you call the police.
    The police come, they barricade themselves behind a door.
    The police break down the door, they resist arrest.
    The police attempt to use non-lethal force to subdue the offender, they start using weapons to hold off police.
    The police escalate the use of force, so does the offender.
    The police shoot the offender when the use of force becomes too high.

Usually this doesn't happen, usually the offender goes "Screw this, I'm not getting shot for stealing a purse". But law enforcement typically doesn't go "Sorry, they locked the door. You're on your own" or "Sorry, they don't want to be arrested". Each level is backed up by the threat of escalation to the next level, the ultimate level of which is "You may die". Otherwise you could get away with any crime by possession of a gun and the word "No".

However, shooting is not the first response - typically that starts at "You are under arrest" and works its way up. But there always has to be an "up". When it comes down to it, all laws and all rights are backed up by "Do what I say or you will be killed", some of them just start with a politely worded letter.
    In your example the person wasn't shot for stealing a purse, they were shot for threatening police officers with a weapon.

I mean you seem to be saying that people have "gotten one over on" the US without demonstrating any sort of actual negative effect on the US.

If it's just like, in principle, and matters to you... why does it matter in general?
  • PLAPLA Registered User regular
    Spacekungfuman, you seem reckless in this thread. The safe, independent invincibility you talk about is purely hypothetical, right?

the thing about a standard of collateral damage in the form of "let's purge them all" is that it is explicitly escalatory. this is exactly how wars are 'won' with half your population dead.

and you cannot pledge to only do it to countries weaker than you, because (1) that is never clear (2) countries get weaker and stronger all the time, and a strong country now seeing itself becoming weaker would take the opportunity to murder the hell out of anybody within striking distance. given modern technology, that's easily a whole continent.

as for "can the UN really dent a superpower", the last time a superpower flounced out of a security council vote, the entire united nations endorsed military action on its favoured proxy. this is admittedly an extreme case, but you were positing an extreme scenario.

The US has effectively been able to executive military actions against any country in the world it has chosen to during the entire existence of the UN, has it not? There are super powers and there is THE superpower. Everyone likes to joke about how America's navy needs to be ready to take down the rest of the world's navies combined, and while it is a little over the top, the fact remains that America's navy is stronger than the rest of the world's navies combined. Maybe we couldn't beat China in a real war (and either way, the world is over at that point, so I'm not sure what victory means) but no one in this thread is proposing bating that particular tiger, despite them being among the worst IP infringers in the world. Maybe I'm overtly patriotic or just naive, but it seems to me that the US is in a class all its own is this discussion.

you are still getting it wrong; the US created these institutions to further its own geopolitical objectives, like, say, not descending into another collapse of global trade

I understand that, BUT it seems to me that either they got it wrong to some degree, or they have accepted what I would regard as an unacceptable level of bad behavior from other countries. Remember, we are talking about the poorest, weakest nations in the world here, and yet the consensus in this thread seems to be that stopping them from stealing our valuable IP is impossible. Something seems wrong with this picture, no?

• PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    By jingo you have a very inflated opinion of the US's capabilities. Sure you can easily beat up on the poorest, weakest nations, but in general, nobody likes a bully and even the weakest nations can prove tough (Iraq/Afghanistan anyone?). And sure, you've got an impressive navy, but you're proposing a scenario where you may end up in conflict with a non-trivial percentage of the world, including other modern nations who may decide to collectively intervene in favour of the weaker nations. For a country whose wealth is literally built on trade and being the reserve currency of the world, that is a nightmare scenario
  • AiouaAioua Novus Ordo Seclorum Lord of the ForumRegistered User regular

The US has effectively been able to executive military actions against any country in the world it has chosen to during the entire existence of the UN, has it not? There are super powers and there is THE superpower. Everyone likes to joke about how America's navy needs to be ready to take down the rest of the world's navies combined, and while it is a little over the top, the fact remains that America's navy is stronger than the rest of the world's navies combined. Maybe we couldn't beat China in a real war (and either way, the world is over at that point, so I'm not sure what victory means) but no one in this thread is proposing bating that particular tiger, despite them being among the worst IP infringers in the world. Maybe I'm overtly patriotic or just naive, but it seems to me that the US is in a class all its own is this discussion.

I understand that, BUT it seems to me that either they got it wrong to some degree, or they have accepted what I would regard as an unacceptable level of bad behavior from other countries. Remember, we are talking about the poorest, weakest nations in the world here, and yet the consensus in this thread seems to be that stopping them from stealing our valuable IP is impossible. Something seems wrong with this picture, no?

The thing is, IP isn't real. It only exists as part of our laws, and there are no laws when it comes to international relations. Another country can't steal our IP, the very idea is nonsense. The most they can do is break a treaty with us. And if there's not even a treaty, then that's that.
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we got booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    PLA wrote: »
    Spacekungfuman, you seem reckless in this thread. The safe, independent invincibility you talk about is purely hypothetical, right?

Pfft.

When has killing citizens in sovereign countries ever bitten us in the ass?

I mean, he's not talking about war after all. Just all of the actions that lead up to a war.
    Quid on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    It's not impossible to stop them, it would just be really stupid to try.

Even in purely financial terms it would probably cost more to stop infringement than would actually be made, either because the companies in question wouldn't bother selling products there, they would sell the products at prices too high for people in those countries to afford, or they would sell them at lower prices and lose money in the US/elsewhere when people engage in arbitrage.

That's not to mention the cost of lost international goodwill, creating an image of us as bullying weaker countries for profit, etc.
    the US is still decidedly affected by material constraints. if you took nuclear weapons off the table, it would probably have lost any conventional war with the USSR over Europe, from the end of WW2 all the way to dissolution. If you put nuclear weapons back on the table, nobody on Earth would have survived anyway, after the 1960s.

now there is no USSR, but the power projection of the PRC is limited only by the fact that it isn't really that interested in power projection. Yet.

But I think I can guess where you are going wrong with this. Consider this thought experiment: there are ten men in a room, of varying strength. The strongest man in the room says: let us beat up the weakest man, and take his stuff, and divide it amongst the better nine.

Of course the second-weakest man objects nonetheless. He can see where this is going. Perform a little induction and the strongest man in the room will find the room unenthusiastic about any proposal.

This is why the international order is built on nominal equalities between state actors that are not of plausibly equal strength. The price to pay to get the B-listers to stop picking fights with the C-listers that will draw the A-listers in, is that the A-listers stop picking fights with the C-listers too. And time and tide will move countries up and down the lists; it is odd today that France is a UNSC permanent member but India is not, but that's how it is. If the UNSC actually reflected prevailing influence, it would be a lot more volatile and therefore a lot weaker.
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What if the IP holder is participating, but the market has been inundated with knock offs for years and so even the discounted price is "too high" by local standards because they are used to bear free? Is that not a harm?
    No. Enterprises are in no way entitled to profits. Roll with the reality of the market or get out, that's the way capitalism works isn't it?
    Maybe I'm overtly patriotic or just naive
    From what I've seen in the topics discussed within this thread I'd go more with clinically insane, but everyone's empowered to claim their own opinions I guess.
    Panda4You on
    "In this discussion of copyright [extension] it's actually appropriate to call it theft.
    This music is being (preemptively) removed from the public domain; it's being stolen from the people."
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Basically, this thread and the other similar one has got people who are interested in IP to think about it a little, and they want to discuss it. But instead of discussing it here, they are discussing it in chat and pissing off the mods. And I think the reason why is that this thread has SKFM saying insane things such as Might Makes Right and Its Unfair How Poor Nations Have Anything At All, and they just don't want to have to deal with that, but they know they shouldn't make a different thread on the same topic.

I don't know what the solution is really, but I'm watching it happen and it's a bit sad, really.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
    the US is still decidedly affected by material constraints. if you took nuclear weapons off the table, it would probably have lost any conventional war with the USSR over Europe, from the end of WW2 all the way to dissolution. If you put nuclear weapons back on the table, nobody on Earth would have survived anyway, after the 1960s.

now there is no USSR, but the power projection of the PRC is limited only by the fact that it isn't really that interested in power projection. Yet.

But I think I can guess where you are going wrong with this. Consider this thought experiment: there are ten men in a room, of varying strength. The strongest man in the room says: let us beat up the weakest man, and take his stuff, and divide it amongst the better nine.

Of course the second-weakest man objects nonetheless. He can see where this is going. Perform a little induction and the strongest man in the room will find the room unenthusiastic about any proposal.

This is why the international order is built on nominal equalities between state actors that are not of plausibly equal strength. The price to pay to get the B-listers to stop picking fights with the C-listers that will draw the A-listers in, is that the A-listers stop picking fights with the C-listers too. And time and tide will move countries up and down the lists; it is odd today that France is a UNSC permanent member but India is not, but that's how it is. If the UNSC actually reflected prevailing influence, it would be a lot more volatile and therefore a lot weaker.

But they aren't ganging up on the weak man to take his stuff. The weak man is taking from the strong men (but just a little) and yet somehow the strong men can't stop the weak man from continually hurting them in small ways?