Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Tell me about major appliances

conquerorw0rmconquerorw0rm Registered User new member
My partner and I recently bought a house that is being built (ready in September), and the builder has allotted us 4500 plus tax (in Canadian funds, prices may be more expensive up here) to buy all of our appliances. What's not so simple is that I know almost nothing about appliances. We need to cover a fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave, washer and dryer with that money, and we're limited to the little small-town Sears outlet in town for where we can buy. Obviously, I plan on going to the store to talk to someone at some point, but I'd definitely like to hear other people's experiences with different appliance brands, front-load vs top load washers, top-freezer/bottom-freezer/no-freezer (why are fridges so complicated?), and, of course, anything else we might have forgotten to consider. This is all new to me, and I'd like to pick something attractive and functional that I won't feel like throwing out a window in the span of a week.

• DhalphirDhalphir Registered User regular
    Buy stainless steel if your house is a modern style.

That's about the limits of my knowledge.

Oh yeah, and make sure your builder installs a tap behind the fridge so that you can buy one with an ice maker or cold-water dispenser.
    11237-1.png
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    You front load washers are better than top loaders but I think they cost a fair bit more. Bottom freezer is more efficient but a more of a pain to use.
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    If you're on a budget skip stainless steel, it's pricey.

Front loaders use less water, but realistically there's not a huge difference.

If you get a good washer, you can go for a deal on the dryer. Not cheap, but inexpensive.

Freezers on top are more efficient, but not a huge worry either way.

If you're willing to take on very slightly more risk, skip paying for service plans. Manufacturers offer limited warranties, and service plans are very over priced.

Don't worry about fancy options on dials/control panels. Any modern appliance will do as much as you need it to. Reliability is way more important.
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    Sears will be selling Kenmore brand appliances for the most part.

Gas or electric on the stove?

And you need to get all of your measurements for the various appliance bays. You don't want to buy a 36 inch fridge and find out that you have 34 inches of space.

Most brands are going to be fairly reliable and check the warranty coverage.

And it will come down to preferences. Do you want a nicer range and a lower end microwave? Or are you planning on not using the range very much? Questions like that are a good starting point with your partner.
  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A good thing to keep in mind is to only buy an appliance with the feature set that you need. Don't get conned into an ice maker if you don't want one. It's just one more thing to break.

For fridges, I prefer the bottom drawer-style freezer, because I'm in the fridge more often, and having that stuff at a higher level is more convenient. You may want to consider getting a small chest freezer for your garage or basement if you have the room/money. They don't often cost more than two or three hundred, and are wildly efficient when it comes to keeping food frozen.

For stoves, if you're going electric, go for a glass, solid top. You've already lost any finesse with heat control by not having a gas stove, so you may as well get something easy to clean (and I say this as someone with an electric oven).

For a washing machine, I'd definitely go with a lower end front-loader. They're not that much more expensive than a top load, and while using less water is a plus, their real advantage is their high spin speed, which can extract a lot more water from washed clothing, shortening up your drying time.

For your dryer, unless you're space-constrained and want a model that stacks with or matches your washer, just get a straight up cheap dryer with alright energy efficiency. If you want to be extra-efficient, put a clotheline in your backyard to use for half the year.

For your dishwasher, just don't go ultra-cheap. Spend at least 500$ or so to get away from some of the build basic models that don't work worth anything. Personally I like the european brands like Bosch, especially now that they've introduced lower end consumer models that aren't so expensive. We've got one, and while it is slightly smaller than a standard dishwasher, it has some nice bonuses. The heating element is hidden in the pumping system under the washer, so we can put plastic items on the bottom rack without fear of melting. Also it has a filter system instead of the standard macerators, which I prefer, as it's less parts to break in the dishwasher.

When it comes to finishes, don't bother with stainless steel. Stick with good, old white. Short of a house made of glass and metal, white will always look appropriate in the kitchen, is cheaper, and will stay cleaner.

Based on my experience buying appliances 6 or 7 years ago in Canada, you could aim for the following pretty easily: Fridge 1000 - 1300, Stove 700 - 900, Microwave 150 - 250, Front load washer 1000 - 1200, Dryer 600 - 700, Dishwasher 500 - 800.

Regarding brands, I've had good luck with my LG fridge, and my Bosch dishwasher. None of the other brands have made enough of an impression for me to care. Don't get suckered on the extended warranty coverage. Any major defects should occur during the manufacturer warranty period. Instead take the money you would have spent on that and sock it away as a future repairs fund.

Finally, if you're living someplace that has hard water, you may want to eventually invest in a water softener. Until that point, to avoid your glasses getting cloudy in the dishwasher, you can toss in some white vinegar after the water has started cycling.
    Entriech on
    Gamecenter/Gamertag/Steam ID/PSN: Entriech
    Guild Wars 2: Entriech.3507 | Scythe Gearsnap, Phlork, Irenic
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    I'm going to put a vote in for Fisher and Paykel clothes washing machines. The "smart drive" machines with the direct drive are basically bulletproof, and have really high spin speeds.
  • illiricaillirica Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    We recently bought this dishwasher by Bosch and have been very happy with it. The way the racks are designed takes a little getting used to, but it's very quiet and seems to be solidly built. We've had it for a few months now and no issues with it.

We're about to buy a dryer and are looking at this one. LG is supposed to be a pretty solid brand for dryers, and that one sounds like it has a lot of the functionalities that we want. That might be a little more than you want to spend, don't know how your budget is going to work out, but it's something to think about.

You might check your library and see if they have issues of any Consumer Reports or similar magazines, which might help point you in the right direction or give you good ideas about what brands to look at and what brands to avoid.

On the refrigerator issue, we currently have a side-by-side that came with the house when we bought it, and I hate it. There is so much space wasted because of the skinny little sections. Can't even fit a large pizza box in the refrigerator side, bleh. I don't know about freezer-on-top versus freezer-on-bottom, but I would avoid the side-by-side models.

illirica on
  • FiggyFiggy Registered User regular
    Bosch makes fantastic dishwashers. We bought one last boxing day and I installed it myself, turned it on for a test run and spent about 15 minutes trying to figure out what the hell I did wrong.

Then I realized I installed correctly. It was just that quiet.

Being limited to one store kind of sucks, as some places are way off-base with their pricing.
    daniant wrote:
    Alright, looks like I'm giving up golden showers for Lent.
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment · Website : www.nathanswyers.com
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    There are a few things that should be noted. Make sure the finish is all the same and matches the cabinets. Ie If you have white cabinets go with a white finish. If you go stainless steel finish make sure they all are and it matches the rest. For brands I find kenmore to be lower quality. Whirlpool is decent for the price. With washer and dryer go stand alone and if you can get the steam option do it. It's fabulous.
  • conquerorw0rmconquerorw0rm Registered User new member
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I went to the store to take a look today and the selection is, well... minimal. We pretty much have the choice of LG, Kenmore, Samsung, GE or Kitchenaid in terms of brands. I know for sure that we will probably buy an hood fan/microwave combo to save space, and then probably a french door fridge because they look really nice and seem to be functional? The appliances in our rental are from the 70s, so at this point everything looks so shiny and pretty that it's hard to make a choice.

The salesman was trying very hard to sell me on getting an induction range and a steam dryer. Are these things actually worth the extra money? I trust that this guy isn't out to screw us too much, as I actually know where he lives (yeah, really small town) and he doesn't seem to have a bad reputation. Then again, this is literally the only place to buy appliances here without taking a 1+ hour ferry ride, so that might be why. Both of these things could be an option, but would likely involve us shelling out extra money out-of-pocket or going with less nice-looking things. Would that be worth it?
    edited May 2013
    If you can afford the steam dryer do it. I've used it and gone back, and I miss it. I'm not a fan of induction ranges price point. It's nice but not a 500-1000 feature. I like ge and I've heard lg is a good brand. Kitchen aid makes a balled mixer but I have no idea about their appliances.
    zepherin on
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    The salesman was trying very hard to sell me on getting an induction range and a steam dryer. Are these things actually worth the extra money? I trust that this guy isn't out to screw us too much, as I actually know where he lives (yeah, really small town) and he doesn't seem to have a bad reputation. Then again, this is literally the only place to buy appliances here without taking a 1+ hour ferry ride, so that might be why. Both of these things could be an option, but would likely involve us shelling out extra money out-of-pocket or going with less nice-looking things. Would that be worth it?

Gas ranges are the only way to cook properly.
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Oh yes, if you can, get a gas cooktop. They're so much better than any other option. Fan forced electric ovens are the way to go, generally the most even and stable temperature for the best cooking.

LG are meant to make pretty good washers and dryers if Fasher-Paykel or Simpson aren't available.

I have no experience with Kenmore or GE products, and didn't know Kitchenaid made anything other than blenders and mixers up until now. I know Samsung make good fridges and microwaves, Panasonic is another good microwave brand.

I second the suggestion to check Consumer Reports-type magazines and websites. The more you know, the better the decision you can make.
    I like gas the best but if the spec is for electric there may not be an available gas line in the kitchen. Gas is good but the extra cost to run a gas line is a no go.
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    I bought my glass top stove from Home Depot in Canuckia, on sale for about $500 and I love it. Sears shoudl be able to order from their catalogue for you as well so check their online selection. They also have things like this: http://www.sears.ca/product/ge-free-standing-electric-double-oven-range/622-000013474-JCB850DTWW which is awesome if you do a lot of baking but with not-super-tall dishes (if you make things like lasagnas and pies and such). My parents got one similar to that and I am mad jealous, they use the smaller baking area all the time
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Akilae wrote: »

Gas ranges are the only way to cook properly.
    Not really, induction is amazing. The heat transfer speed is off the charts and you get the same fine control as gas.

The issue is is the costs increase just isn't worth it.
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    The problem with induction cooking surfaces is that you are limited in terms of the cookware that can be used. Concave-bottomed pots? Nope, that's out. Convex-bottomed woks? Nope, that's out also. Anything that's non-magnetized? Sorry.

The recent east coast experience with Sandy also carved into my mind: When electricity goes out, gas might not!

If a gas line is available, gas range is still the way to go for versatile cooking.

If not, then, well, induction is better than eating cold Vienna sausages out of the can.
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    Okay first of all are you in Powell river? Cause the ferry ride and only having sears available sounds very familiar! If you are then remember that sears is also where stuff can be ordered out of the catalogue and shipped to, you are not restricted to what is currently in the store. Also the brick is not bad and can order in as well. It may even be worth your while to price out future shop and go over to Courtney.
  • SiskaSiska Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    As far as microwave ovens go I would recommend a mid range or higher (+$120) priced Kenmore. They are a respectable brand and some of their fancier models have a disable the effing beep setting. Which I love. I don't understand microwave manufacturers love of beeping. It beeps when the food is done. It beeps when you open the door. It beeps when you press a button. Beep beepety beep! Hope no one is asleep.

Kenmore's like #69122 and #79152 and other even higher end models have [control setup] button next to the 6 key ( visible here ). That's where you can change the setting to muted. I could talk more about how much I hate beeping, but I am going to stop.

Siska on
    camo_sig-400.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir Registered User regular
    I hate microwaves that beep when the food is finished and then beep again like six more times in 30 second intervals until you take the food out.

I know you are done, I heard you the first time and also you have stopped making noise so obviously you are done
    11237-1.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    If you can, wait until there is a major sale. If there is a summer sale, you can probably schedule delivery out to when you are ready. When my wife and I moved into our home, the only appliances it had were the stove and dishwasher. We bought most of our major appliances (fridge, over range microwave, washer / dryer) the day after Thanksgiving and saved about 50%.

If you are in Canada and reasonably close, compare prices / sales across the border - if the house will be ready in September, you might be able to get a better deal buying Labor Day sale stuff in the US. Or if you can hold out a month or two more, Black Friday sales.

We are pretty happy with our Samsung french door (freezer drawer) fridge, and front loading washer / dryer. The microwave is ok. I probably wouldn't choose Samsung to do it again, but the price points were great and everything has lasted 5 years without anything I would call an issue.

When the dishwasher we had broke, we got a really nice Bosch at the Sears Outlet - like a $1500 dishwasher for $600 because one piece of plastic on the handle was cracked. It's working very well and is so quiet you can't tell when it's on. Outlet stuff is definitely worth it...saving 50% because of some scratch nobody will even see is definitely worthwhile.

Last Thanksgiving we bought an LG twin-oven range (electric, sealed cooktop) that's pretty nice too. Everything is stainless and matches well enough. We talked about getting a Samsung dishwasher and oven, but the Bosch dishwasher was just a much better value and we liked the features on the LG range. It's very nice because it has fast boil and the small top oven gets preheated much faster. Induction is nice, I guess, but we haven't really used it...but two minutes to boiling water is civilization. Fast boil is worth it 100x, how often are you baking something compared to boiling water?

Don't be afraid to mix and match brands to get the features you want.

I think, overall, we probably were around your price range for all our appliances. All stainless except the washer / dryer. $1200 for the range, $600 for the dishwasher, $1200 for the fridge, $1000 for the washer / dryer (+$350 for the pedistals). Add in maybe $500 for our chest freezer and you should be all set.

It's hard to recommend where to go cheap if you need to. Probably the dryer, but since you usually get a better deal buying the matched washer / dryer, it's probably not especially viable.
    steam_sig.png
  • hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Washers: get a front loader or a top loader without an agitator in the middle. Whatever you decide, please skip the agitator top loaders. Also, get a family sized washer/dryer, even if you don't have kids; the larger ones are less harsh to clothes.

Gas appliances: they just seem to work better all around. Cooking is easier, drying is faster, heating is cheaper, etc.

Refrigerator: make sure it fits well in the fridge cubbyhole. I too wanted french doors with freezer on bottom, but only a left hinged door worked well in my kitchen. As for built-in water dispensers, I prefer mine on the kitchen sink, so I can use filtered water for cooking.

Finally, get a dishwasher. Look for quiet ones, with less electronics.
    hsu on
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Regardless of what you pick, find your local Scratch and Dent outlet. A huge amount of items sold there only have imperfections on the back or sides which, depending on your setup, typically only face walls/cabinetry.

You can usually get top-level appliances for 40% less this way or more, with no functional difference.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Laundry room -- we've had both types of washer in various houses; front-loading washers are theoretically more efficient on water, but are definitely a lot gentler on your clothes, and also will let you stack them if you have floor layout issues. (because the washer has to go on the bottom).

Microwaves, a cheap one will do pretty much the same as the expensive ones, ie make food hot -- the only thing I don't think was mentioned is the over-the-stove options which have an extractor fan built into the bottom, which can save space when laying the kitchen out.