Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Windows 7 or 8

KleinKlein Registered User regular
Sup PA crew. I just got a laptop with Windows 8 on it and I am debating on putting Windows 7 on it. I am fairly computer savy and like how Windows 7 had its search preferences, but in Windows 8 it goes to the desktop when it finds the menu(such as computer), which I do not like. I am not a big fan of metro, but I don't want to not use it just because it is different. I have installed a search menu on the desktop side of Windows 8 so it feels more familiar, but some menus go into the metro mode which I really do not like, I would rather have it all metro or all desktop. Any thoughts from you guys on Windows 8? I don't want to make this a bashing Windows 8 thread, I think it is important to learn how to use new technology, but I want have no idea of the state Windows 8 is in.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I get a lot of requests for this at work and it always goes horribly.

Verify that your manufacturer has made windows 7 drivers for all your devices. Then to be on the safe side shrink your main OS partition, create a new volume for EFI and install windows 7 to that. You may need to bcdedit and add the new windows 7 install but then that'll give you the option to dual boot without much work. Also, if it doesn't work too well you can always delete the windows 7 part and extend the windows 8 part to recover the lost space.

Or just wait, Windows 8.1 will be out in a few months which will add features back like the start menu and xp mode.
    headphones2.jpg SC2:Bendery.235
  • AiouaAioua Novus Ordo Seclorum Lord of the ForumRegistered User regular
    I get a lot of requests for this at work and it always goes horribly.

Verify that your manufacturer has made windows 7 drivers for all your devices. Then to be on the safe side shrink your main OS partition, create a new volume for EFI and install windows 7 to that. You may need to bcdedit and add the new windows 7 install but then that'll give you the option to dual boot without much work. Also, if it doesn't work too well you can always delete the windows 7 part and extend the windows 8 part to recover the lost space.

Or just wait, Windows 8.1 will be out in a few months which will add features back like the start menu and xp mode.

I'm fairly sure the bolded is not true. I don't think MS has even put out real realease notes yet. It's all rumors at this point. It sounds most likely to have some more UI customization options in Metro (more tile sizes, colors, &c.,) and maybe a boot-to-desktop option, instead of boot-to-Start.
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we got booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • SynthesisSynthesis Registered User regular
    I can't say for virtual desktops/XP mode, but Windows 8 already has a number of free (and cheap) options that add a start menu feature and access to the start menu folders. They also come with the option to, for example, have the computer boot to desktop, and turn the Windows key into the start menu key again. Start8 is the one I use, but there are free options too.

I don't want to sound like biased, but Windows 8 does have some features which are potentially useful--most obviously tablet functionality, but also integrated disk image mounting and a folder setup in desktop mode which is a bit more streamlined once you learn it. It's also pretty efficient with memory, even more so than Windows 7--though that's on a computer-to-computer basis as much as anything. I use Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on my desktop (where I'm posting this now), but I believe removing Windows 8 from my laptop (a touch-sensitive Surface Pro) and replacing it with Windows 7, if it were possible, would basically ruin it.

I'd say check out those plug-ins, and see if they address any of your concerns. I think they will. If not, you can always format it later.
  • KleinKlein Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I can't say for virtual desktops/XP mode, but Windows 8 already has a number of free (and cheap) options that add a start menu feature and access to the start menu folders. They also come with the option to, for example, have the computer boot to desktop, and turn the Windows key into the start menu key again. Start8 is the one I use, but there are free options too.

I don't want to sound like biased, but Windows 8 does have some features which are potentially useful--most obviously tablet functionality, but also integrated disk image mounting and a folder setup in desktop mode which is a bit more streamlined once you learn it. It's also pretty efficient with memory, even more so than Windows 7--though that's on a computer-to-computer basis as much as anything. I use Windows 7 Pro 64-bit on my desktop (where I'm posting this now), but I believe removing Windows 8 from my laptop (a touch-sensitive Surface Pro) and replacing it with Windows 7, if it were possible, would basically ruin it.

I'd say check out those plug-ins, and see if they address any of your concerns. I think they will. If not, you can always format it later.

I have a plug in similar to start on there which seems to work fine, but occasionally some system menus are in metro and I don't like switching from one look to another. The laptop is not touch based. I'm going to play with windows 8 for a few more days and see how I feel. Any more advice or opinions would be welcomed.
  • AiouaAioua Novus Ordo Seclorum Lord of the ForumRegistered User regular
    Klein wrote: »

I have a plug in similar to start on there which seems to work fine, but occasionally some system menus are in metro and I don't like switching from one look to another. The laptop is not touch based. I'm going to play with windows 8 for a few more days and see how I feel. Any more advice or opinions would be welcomed.

I do think that, behind the metro, the core improvements to the OS are worth it. The improved explorer and task manager are great.

Also, have you hit win+x yet? You should hit win+x. :)
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we got booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • JasconiusJasconius bird internet Saint Petersburg RussiaRegistered User regular
    Does your laptop have a touchscreen?

I had Windows 8 on the desktop and I hated it

Now I own a Samsung Series 7 and I would never roll back to Windows 7, because the touch screen interface is worth it

Also 8 is just faster on crummier harddrives

I recommend giving 8 a little more patients and investigating 3rd party workarounds to missing features
  • BigityBigity Registered User regular
    Windows 8 works for me.

Just find a cheatsheet for the Win+ commands until you learn them.
    steam_sig.png

I think you're talking about certain utility applications (not the control panel, oddly enough, that's old-style) which are in the new style--I don't think there's an app that changes that, since those are fundamental Windows function. Just speaking for example can download Internet Explorer 8 and run it on Windows 8, but IE9 is going to be in Windows 8 style, no matter what. Things like the task manager don't have multiple versions.
  • KleinKlein Registered User regular
    So I have decided to stay with Windows 8, I will download a few new start menu plugins and see what I like. One issues I am having is the Windows key. If I am playing Diablo 3 I keep hitting it and then it kicks me out of the game. Is there a way to temporarily disable the key from kicking me out of the game? Really annoying.
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Start running everything in borderless windowed mode?
  • BigityBigity Registered User regular
    I don't get kicked out of D3 when I use the Windows key. But I may be running in borderless windowed mode, but I don't think so.
    steam_sig.png
    So I have decided to stay with Windows 8, I will download a few new start menu plugins and see what I like. One issues I am having is the Windows key. If I am playing Diablo 3 I keep hitting it and then it kicks me out of the game. Is there a way to temporarily disable the key from kicking me out of the game? Really annoying.

That doesn't sound like a Windows 8 issue. You've got it set to the start menu, not to switching desktops, right?