Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[PA Comic] Friday, May 17, 2013 - Increasingly Damn Late

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    Damn it, after the Playstation 3 line I don't see if Tycho likes Macklemore or not, well played. My bet is on he likes it.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular
    Haven't seen one of these in awhile.
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    *rimshot*
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
  • HenroidHenroid Baba Booey to y'all Tyler, TX (where hope comes to die!)Registered User regular
    That Death Star joke is so good.
    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit." - @Ludious
    Unmotivate - Updated May 17th - "Let's Complain About Nintendo"
    The PA Forumer 'Lets Play' Archive - Updated March 25th, 2013
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I laughed, I really did.
    steam_sig.png
    Steam: Megajoule
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel Deus Vult! OsloRegistered User regular
    I usually don't like these. This one is just right though.
    Fuck off and die.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Be advised: The situation is butt. Over. Seriously, it's way fucked.Registered User regular
    EA is a got dang publisher! EA does not make games (well, sports games I guess). EA is not making Star Wars games. BioWare, DICE and Visceral(all fantastic studios) are making Star Wars games!

Also, I kinda like Macklemore. Those dudes were on The Colbert Report a few weeks ago, kinda dug em.
    We're Oscar Mike two-one Bravo. Attempting to contain Delta-Charlie-Xray-Xray. We need the situation to be less toilets ASAP.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Too Damn Late!

This is still my favorite:

214605147_RdZ3z-XL-2.jpg
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    For some reason, Tycho's dead eyes bother me. Looks like most video games - his body is doing the motions, but his eyes are just stuck open. Void of any emotion.
    PA-Signature.gif
  • rayalkjrayalkj Registered User new member
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    EA is a got dang publisher! EA does not make games (well, sports games I guess). EA is not making Star Wars games. BioWare, DICE and Visceral(all fantastic studios) are making Star Wars games!

Aren't all those studios that you just listed owned by EA?
  • GaslightGaslight It's not your fault Video games are amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    rayalkj wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Aren't all those studios that you just listed owned by EA?

Yes, but his point is that it's misleading to talk about "EA" making games like EA is a centralized monolithic entity that produces everything themselves. The quality of future Star Wars games is going to be more dependent on the particular studio that does them.

EA can of course influence the quality of the finished product (assigning games to good studios or bad ones, whether they meddle in the process "Rush the game out to make a holiday release" KotR2-style, etc). But saying "EA makes Star Wars games now" is like saying "EA makes Need for Speed and Mass Effect" - that is, technically true in a very general and imprecise sense but not informative. Mass Effect is made by BioWare; Need for Speed is made by several different studios depending on the particular title and quality varies accordingly; and so on.
    Gaslight on
    steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yes. EA owns those studios and EA calls the shots on budgets, marketing, and they put pressure for release deadlines. EA is also the reason the games from those studios had online passes in the first place.
    BN_Sig3.jpg
  • vsovevsove Registered User regular
    No, EA can't be blamed for about 90% of the things people like to blame them for.

For better or for worse, they give each studio enough rope to hang themselves with. While it's fashionable and no doubt easier to blame stuff like that on the evil corporate suits, I know that, in at least two of those cases, those decisions were made at a much lower level than the faceless suits everyone likes to scapegoat.

Like it or not, sometimes, people who make things you like make decisions you won't agree with. My source is actually having worked on two of the games you listed.
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
    I submit that it's not "Increasingly Damn Late" because the show actually starts any later at night, it's just that Gabe and Tycho are middle-aged dads now and it's harder for them to stay up. "Late" is relative.
    steam_sig.png
  • FulgoreFulgore Registered User regular
    Loved this comic, every joke of it!
    The macklemore joke just killed me right there when I read it.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Be advised: The situation is butt. Over. Seriously, it's way fucked.Registered User regular
    Is the Macklemore part supposed to be a joke?
    We're Oscar Mike two-one Bravo. Attempting to contain Delta-Charlie-Xray-Xray. We need the situation to be less toilets ASAP.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
  • colekicoleki Registered User regular
    I could watch (read) Tycho doing Leno impressions all day. In fact, let's just replace The Tonight Show with this.
  • wn.mikewn.mike archi PTRegistered User regular
    He must like Macklemore, Tycho is secretly from the Seattle Crew.
    Also, love the "Electronic Arts has dicussed the wealf they’d stacked as a result of Online Passes", go Typos go!