Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Privacy in the world of [Google Glass] and wearable computing . . . and wifi, apparently

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Re the wifi thing - if you leave your wifi open, you're literally saying "here everyone, use my network" - there's really no difference between a public access wifi and someone's home wifi that is unsecured. So it's really closer to putting a bunch of TVs up on the outside of your house livestreaming the inside and then complaining that people violated your privacy because you were broadcasting exactly what you're doing. Literally anyone that walked or drove past that area had access to the same stuff. It's not like google was cracking wireless passwords to get at that juicy, juicy data

I don't think criminalizing the use of an antenna tuned into the unrestricted and unlicensed spectrum is a good idea. Otherwise, anyone with a phone set to "automatically connect to open networks" that went by those locations is also guilty

So, if you leave your house door open and unlocked, are you literally saying "c'mon in, use my house"? Seriously, it's not that hard to tell if a access point is intended for public use or not. I don't think it's all that hard to argue that wardriving (and let's call what Google was doing by its proper name) sits in a rather gray area legally.
    Open wifi networks are a slightly more unique animal because it's an active broadcast of information.
    I suppose the proper "moral" way to go about it would be to knock on the door and say "hey you're broadcasting an open network, can I use it?" but that public broadcast does raise a grey area in a way that even leaving a sign on your front door that says it's unlocked would not.

Not really. You know quite well whether or not you have permission to use a network or not.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    So everyone with "automatically connect to open networks" enabled is a criminal, got it
    So everyone with "automatically connect to open networks" enabled is a criminal, got it

Honestly, autoconnect is stupid from a security standpoint (can you really trust that network?) and it's a form of trespassing, because, once again, capability and permission are two very separate things. I never use autoconnect, and if it went away, I would not be all that terribly saddened.

Not to mention that your argument is just a fallacious appeal to emotion.

Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    It doesn't matter if you can trust the network as SSL gets you all the security you need. I'm not going to argue any further, it's obvious we'll never agree on anything
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    I was thinking about this on the train last night. There were two very loud, obnoxious girls drinking beer and talking about their partying life style, peppered with off color jokes. One of the girls said she had just gotten a new job (some sort of HR function) that day. Presumably, they were behaving the way they were because the train car was not crowded and they were just talking to each other with the expectation that only people on the train could hear them. But what if I was wearing Glass v 5.0 which automatically uploads everything I see to a searchable server, and the hiring manager types her name in and sees the video? You could say that if the manager wouldn't want her working for him based on that behavior, it is good that he saw her online so he knows, but I think that is very restrictive. Surely, we prefer a world in which it is ok for someone to blow off some steam after work while talking with a friend to one where you must always behave like you are at work, right?

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Re the wifi thing - if you leave your wifi open, you're literally saying "here everyone, use my network" - there's really no difference between a public access wifi and someone's home wifi that is unsecured. So it's really closer to putting a bunch of TVs up on the outside of your house livestreaming the inside and then complaining that people violated your privacy because you were broadcasting exactly what you're doing. Literally anyone that walked or drove past that area had access to the same stuff. It's not like google was cracking wireless passwords to get at that juicy, juicy data

I don't think criminalizing the use of an antenna tuned into the unrestricted and unlicensed spectrum is a good idea. Otherwise, anyone with a phone set to "automatically connect to open networks" that went by those locations is also guilty

So, if you leave your house door open and unlocked, are you literally saying "c'mon in, use my house"? Seriously, it's not that hard to tell if a access point is intended for public use or not.

If you leave your door open with a sign on it saying "free for use", sure!

If you just leave it unlocked, that's the equivalent of an unsecured hidden network, which these weren't. And the only way to distinguish someone who didn't secure their network vs a deliberatly public one is by looking at the ssid and guessing. But by the time you do that, it's too late really. You would have to go in with a whitelist of only known public networks

Or, y'know, you can start with the state that permission is denied except when explicitly granted and go from there. Which, amazingly enough, is how the rest of society works!

Open networks are literally granting access to everyone

Just like a house with an unlocked door does. Capacity does not equal permission.

I don't understand what it is about technology that makes people suddenly not understand this.

I am similarly perplexed by the way that people seem to think morality just doesn't matter once technology becomes involved. This discussion is reminding me a lot of piracy threads, where people who normally accept the principal that you pay someone in exchange for their labor ceases to apply when you are downloading data.

I agree.

While some of these issues are novel or more widespread, it's not like any of this technology is so novel as to be entirely unprecedented. What's old becomes new and all that - but we've already got good frameworks to deal with a lot of these issues with just minor tweaking.

On this particular issue, I say make all Google Glass type devices require a conspicuous light / indicator when recording, make it a crime to tamper with the indicator, and call it a day.

EDIT - maybe throw standard one / two party consent requirements on it, and publishing consent for non-public figures.
    zagdrob on
    steam_sig.png
    In this topic, we have really just been accepting Glass as designed as inevitable, and been reacting to its pending reality, but maybe the real questions is if it should exist as proposed. Maybe Glass shouldn't be able to record images at all, if it is really meant as a combination HUD and augmented reality device. Maybe the camera should only be usable for goggles type image based searches, and none of the captured images should be searchable by the public.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    It doesn't matter if you can trust the network as SSL gets you all the security you need. I'm not going to argue any further, it's obvious we'll never agree on anything

Then don't make arguments that rely on a weak predicate remaining unspoken. Our society is built on a "permission denied except when explicitly granted" model - it's on you to show why that doesn't hold here.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Registered User regular
    I was thinking about this on the train last night. There were two very loud, obnoxious girls drinking beer and talking about their partying life style, peppered with off color jokes. One of the girls said she had just gotten a new job (some sort of HR function) that day. Presumably, they were behaving the way they were because the train car was not crowded and they were just talking to each other with the expectation that only people on the train could hear them. But what if I was wearing Glass v 5.0 which automatically uploads everything I see to a searchable server, and the hiring manager types her name in and sees the video? You could say that if the manager wouldn't want her working for him based on that behavior, it is good that he saw her online so he knows, but I think that is very restrictive. Surely, we prefer a world in which it is ok for someone to blow off some steam after work while talking with a friend to one where you must always behave like you are at work, right?

Greetings, new associate #3742! Welcome to the OmniCorp family. Today begins your adventure of a life-long commitment to the betterment of OmniCorp -- the betterment of yourself! A career with OmniCorp is not just a job, it's a way of life. You and your fellow associates represent the best of OmniCorp wherever you go. As such, we take this opportunity to remind you...
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
    In this topic, we have really just been accepting Glass as designed as inevitable, and been reacting to its pending reality, but maybe the real questions is if it should exist as proposed. Maybe Glass shouldn't be able to record images at all, if it is really meant as a combination HUD and augmented reality device. Maybe the camera should only be usable for goggles type image based searches, and none of the captured images should be searchable by the public.

It's classical technological defeatism / digital determinism. If you present the issue as inevitable, then a lot of those thorny moral questions go away.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
  • zerzhulzerzhul Sparkamus Prime Marduk is my co-pilotRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod

So, if you leave your house door open and unlocked, are you literally saying "c'mon in, use my house"? Seriously, it's not that hard to tell if a access point is intended for public use or not. I don't think it's all that hard to argue that wardriving (and let's call what Google was doing by its proper name) sits in a rather gray area legally.
    Open wifi networks are a slightly more unique animal because it's an active broadcast of information.
    I suppose the proper "moral" way to go about it would be to knock on the door and say "hey you're broadcasting an open network, can I use it?" but that public broadcast does raise a grey area in a way that even leaving a sign on your front door that says it's unlocked would not.
    Not really. You know quite well whether or not you have permission to use a network or not.
    So what you're saying is that if something isn't explicitly marked to be for public consumption, even if it is publicly available, it is automatically not public? Or is it just a question of morals? I'm not arguing the other side with that question, just asking for clarification.
    edited May 2013

Then don't make arguments that rely on a weak predicate remaining unspoken. Our society is built on a "permission denied except when explicitly granted" model - it's on you to show why that doesn't hold here.

My argument is that by opening your network you are implicitly granting permission to use it. If you don't want other people accessing it... don't make it public? Or at least don't act surprised if people do?
    Phyphor on

So what you're saying is that if something isn't explicitly marked to be for public consumption, even if it is publicly available, it is automatically not public? Or is it just a question of morals? I'm not arguing the other side with that question, just asking for clarification.

Yes. Again, capacity (I can access) is different from permission (I am allowed to access).
    Nox+Aeternum.gif

Not directed at me, but I would say that if you own something, your expectation is that people will not just come and make use of it without your permission, even if that use does not deprive you of your use, because it isn't theirs to use. If I came home and found that people had made use of my pool or were sitting on my lawn while I was out, then even if they were gone before I got home I still think I would have a legitimate grievance, because I own the pool and the lawn. I don't think I should need to erect a fence with a lock that they cannot open, and which is high enough for them not to scale it, before I can claim that I have been wronged by their use.

My argument is that by opening your network you are implicitly granting permission to use it. If you don't want other people accessing it... don't make it public? Or at least don't act surprised if people do?

If I am having a barbeque in a public park and invited many friends, does the fact that it is in a public space make it acceptable for you to walk over and take an extra hamburger, even if no one notices you do it, because there is a big crowd of invited people?

edited May 2013

Not directed at me, but I would say that if you own something, your expectation is that people will not just come and make use of it without your permission, even if that use does not deprive you of your use, because it isn't theirs to use. If I came home and found that people had made use of my pool or were sitting on my lawn while I was out, then even if they were gone before I got home I still think I would have a legitimate grievance, because I own the pool and the lawn. I don't think I should need to erect a fence with a lock that they cannot open, and which is high enough for them not to scale it, before I can claim that I have been wronged by their use.

There is no fence, there is no lock. Building a fence is marking your network as hidden, adding a lock is not marking it as open
    Phyphor on

There is no fence, there is no lock. Building a fence is marking your network as hidden, adding a lock is not marking it as open

I have no fence around my front yard. So you think you are free to lounge on it?

Also, to be clear, not everyone even knows how to set up encryption on their wifi. People often take advantage of the elderly and steal money from them because they don't know how to protect themselves adequately. Do you think that is acceptable? Is leaving their bank statement out on the counter inviting their nurse to empty out their bank account?

And as I have pointed out repeatedly, you haven't backed that argument up at all, especially in light of the fact that it runs counter to the way that our society is set up, where permission is denied initially, and it is incumbent on the user to get express permission. Why should it be any different with private networks?
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
  • zerzhulzerzhul Sparkamus Prime Marduk is my co-pilotRegistered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, SolidSaints Zerzhul mod
    If I am having a barbeque in a public park and invited many friends, does the fact that it is in a public space make it acceptable for you to walk over and take an extra hamburger, even if no one notices you do it, because there is a big crowd of invited people?
    I really love this analogy. It's fundamentally different from the open yard and pool analogy, and really encompasses the private on public far better.
    I wonder if there's anything to the thought of things recorded on something like glass being treated like re-broadcasts of broadcast TV. Something about owning the content if not the medium. Can your conversations and actions be treated as personally proprietary given an "expected" audience (people within reasonable audio/visual distance at the time of the broadcast, versus the audience of a rebroadcast)? How would that hold up in court? I hope I'm not re-hashing something that might have already been discussed. I *think* I read through the thread thoroughly first.
  • KryhsKryhs Registered User regular

If you don't have anything there signifying that it's a private event for you and your friends then yeah, people are going to think it's just free food. That's where this gets back to "well, you deserved it" territory. If the event is so big it isn't clearly just a group of friends then it's your problem to make sure no one unwanted gets through. Pretty easy.
    Kryhs wrote: »

If you don't have anything there signifying that it's a private event for you and your friends then yeah, people are going to think it's just free food. That's where this gets back to "well, you deserved it" territory. If the event is so big it isn't clearly just a group of friends then it's your problem to make sure no one unwanted gets through. Pretty easy.

. . . What world do you live in where people just give out free food randomly, without explicitly stating that they are doing so? I think this example is a really clear demonstration of hedgie's capacity/permission dichotomy.

And as I have pointed out repeatedly, you haven't backed that argument up at all, especially in light of the fact that it runs counter to the way that our society is set up, where permission is denied initially, and it is incumbent on the user to get express permission. Why should it be any different with private networks?

Because capability is permission for computers. I don't email the webmaster to ask if I can use a website, I just go there. If their site is misconfigured and inadvertently allows everyone access when only some should, that's not my fault. There's a button, click it. This isn't circumventing any security or protections or anything like that. The network is literally blasting out "HEY HEY IM HERE AND IM OPEN, COME USE ME"
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Registered User regular

. . . What world do you live in where people just give out free food randomly, without explicitly stating that they are doing so? I think this example is a really clear demonstration of hedgie's capacity/permission dichotomy.

You think someone's gonna just drop money burgers on you? Burgers THEY could use?

Well there ain't people like that.

There's just people like SKFM.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
    For the burgers analogy

Just you and some friends and a BBQ - hidden network
    You and some friends and a sign saying "private party" - secured network

Because capability is permission for computers. I don't email the webmaster to ask if I can use a website, I just go there. If their site is misconfigured and inadvertently allows everyone access when only some should, that's not my fault. There's a button, click it. This isn't circumventing any security or protections or anything like that. The network is literally blasting out "HEY HEY IM HERE AND IM OPEN, COME USE ME"

What would you say in my picnic scenario? Is it my fault because I don't have security guards?

edited May 2013

If there is a large gathering of people all eating tons of food and ZERO money is being exchanged then I will flat out assume there is free food being given away in this PUBLIC place that isn't marked as a PRIVATE event. This is nothing more than you not wanting to send a clear message and then be pissy at people who misinterpret it even though there's no way they should have know what it really was to begin with. You hold the event. You hold the responsibility.
    Kryhs on
    For the burgers analogy

Just you and some friends and a BBQ - hidden network
    You and some friends and a sign saying "private party" - secured network

That is just you declaring this by fiat. I have private property (internet bandwidth or hamburgers). It is sitting out there in a public place. Do you have a right to just use it without permission, even thought it belongs to me and not you?

• Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Isn't Glass a potential threat at the hands of the criminal community? Unless I'm misunderstanding its purposes it'd give gangs, serial killers, thieves, terrorists etc access to surveillance they otherwise wouldn't have and would be used against the public and authorities without leaving any trace of their presence.

In what way would it allow for this that a phone or button cam already doesn't?

The widespread social acceptance of being recorded...or of recording others.
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.

What would you say in my picnic scenario? Is it my fault because I don't have security guards?

No, but if you had a sign up saying "hey burgers here" then sure. Again keep in mind that there are two things here - the lack of any security, and the public broadcasting of its openness. Try to crack a secure network? Yeah that's bad. Try to specifically locate an open network that's not advertising itself? Also not very good. Using an open network that is literally advertising itself as such? Why not? If there were no security options at all then yeah, that's a problem; but there are. Yes, if they default to open/broadcasting then that's a problem, but anyone who's changed the SSID can very easily either set a password or remove broadcasting at the same time by you know, typing in the box below that says "password"
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Wow. I agree completely with Space on this subject. :mrgreen:
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Isn't Glass a potential threat at the hands of the criminal community? Unless I'm misunderstanding its purposes it'd give gangs, serial killers, thieves, terrorists etc access to surveillance they otherwise wouldn't have and would be used against the public and authorities without leaving any trace of their presence.

This is already easily done and often even acceptable.

I mean shit there were people freaking out that someone would get recorded at a parade.

Bad news. If you've been to a public parade in the last decade you've been recorded.
  • BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

This is already easily done and often even acceptable.

I mean shit there were people freaking out that someone would get recorded at a parade.

Bad news. If you've been to a public parade in the last decade you've been recorded.
    NOTE:
    Being in a parade is different from walking into a doctor's office.

The purpose of a parade is to be public, and to garner attention.
    BSoB on
    edited May 2013

If there is a large gathering of people all eating tons of food and ZERO money is being exchanged then I will flat out assume there is free food being given away in this PUBLIC place that isn't marked as a PRIVATE event. This is nothing more than you not wanting to send a clear message and then be pissy at people who misinterpret it even though there's no way they should have know what it really was to begin with. You hold the even. You hold the responsibility.

This is really incredible to me. People have picnics in parks all the time. They rarely say "Hey, this is private." They are just people gathering together. If you saw an ipod sitting on a bench, would you think it was fair game? What if you saw someone put it down before getting a drink of water?

Okay we are clearly talking about two different sizes of event here. You're alluding to a small get together and you're initial post sounded a lot larger than that. If it's a handful of people then fucking of course no one is going to take your food. Jesus.

Edit: This is just like the horseshit rape comparison from before. Totally being played in order to push your point past the point it's even related to mine.

Edit2: Which is to say my point has NEVER been about theft in any capacity. This is about the privacy concern re: Glass.
    Kryhs on

Guess what isn't a computer, though?

You.

You are a reasoning, thinking individual. The computer is solely a tool, incapable of doing anything without the input, in some form, of a user. Stop trying to use the computer to absolve yourself of the consequences of your actions.

By the way, we recently had an individual try your argument in court.

He's currently a guest of the US government.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif