Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Privacy in the world of [Google Glass] and wearable computing . . . and wifi, apparently

• PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Calixtus wrote: »
    The Ender wrote: »
    ITT, soon to be old timers - including myself - recognize the coming darkness in the form of new gizmos that they most certainly did not grow up with.

Google Glass is weird. It is just weird. Are privacy concerns how we stop this stuff? If so, yeah. Privacy!.
    On the other hand, some of us did grow up in a world that had the Ministerium für Staatssicherheit. Remember those guys? I don't, cause I was like two years old. But they totally used to be A Thing.

I realize that maybe the generation whose parents gave them facebook feeds before they developed proper lungs and kept GPS trackers in their shoes might have a hard time understanding why checking in on Bodybook ("Its like facebook, but new") at a political rally in a public park might be a fucking bad idea, but - and call me old if you have to - I think the kind of fucked up shit we could do without recording everything that went on in public should inspire a certain suspicioun towards everyone who loudly maintains that there is no law against documenting who walks in and out of a certain apartment.

But then, we'd need to aknowledge that history did, in fact, predate the birth of Justin Bieber. Problematic.

The current federal government also has a military and a federal criminal justice system. So its just like being on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain. O M G

The idea that the federal (or state, or hell local) government needs Google fucking Glass to constuct this digital police state is laughable. Every block in every major city in the developed world has multiple security cameras. Google Glass would be among the least efficient methods they could use given the problems they'd encounter obtaining the footage and normalizing for head movement, hardware and perspective.

This of course ignores that increasing the mean by which a government can create a theoretical police state is not itself an evil just because a police state would be. Applying the same logic, we should oppose the Census, social security, FBI, CIA, IRS, FDA and revocation of the Articles of Confederacy. A weak government is not in and of itself good.

And I was 9 when the wall fell, so don't pull the "you're just little kids and at 25 I understand the world way better". I actually have memories that predate the end of the Cold War, and computers older than the web.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Registered User regular
    That's basically what a house does, apart from sheltering us from the weather. It's a long-term demarcation of an otherwise-public place to render events within more private. Huddling with friends and whispering is just a less permanent form of that same action.

Yeah, they aren't the same at all. A house doesn't demarcate an otherwise public anything, it makes a place no longer public. It changes the nature of the place, since the PUBLIC isn't allowed to enter it. Talking is whispers doesn't change the nature of a sidewalk. Just like wrapping yourselves in a sheet doesn't let you fuck in the middle of central park cause its now 'private' indecency.

And what was the place before the house was built?

We can alter expectations within a limited space by our actions, both temporarily and permanently.
    PantsB wrote: »
    The "natural state" for what you refer to as public information has been that it does devolve back to private information since time immemorial. I think its useful to aknowledge that we're actually changing that - not just through Google glass, though it seems to be the most invasive.

Not really. If I have an eidetic memory, does that make me a threat to your privacy? An argument that its likely people would forget who it was that was caught shitting his pants in 3rd grade or who they saw at the strip club and therefore the information is private doesn't hold water. At what point does it become private? When its only a vague memory? If I write it in a diary does that make never devolve?

Rights can not be inherently based on the competency or failures of others. If something is only a right if other people cooperate with what you think of as "normal" its not a right, its a circumstance.
    I'm also baffled by the idea that nothing which happens in a public place could possible be rendered private by the participant's way of conducting that action -- that is to say, if I'm on the sidewalk and talking quietly with a friend, then you walk up and we stop talking, it's a private conversation. In a public place, sure, but we took measures to render the action private despite its location.

That's basically what a house does, apart from sheltering us from the weather. It's a long-term demarcation of an otherwise-public place to render events within more private. Huddling with friends and whispering is just a less permanent form of that same action.

A house isn't "a long-term demarcation of an otherwise-public place to render events within more private." A house is a structure on private property that defines a private space. That's the textbook definition of what a private space is. In order to obtain information from within the house, you have to be an invited guest, resident, owner or illegitimate trespasser.

Speaking more softly doesn't in and of itself make your conversation private, it just makes it less easily overheard. And crossing your fingers and hoping no one overhears you (or that they forget) doesn't make the conversation truly private. If you have "knowingly exposed" something to "another person or the public at large" in public you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy because its no longer private. If you can hear it or see it in public, its not private, even if you lower your voice.

So if you don't want people to know something about you, don't do it in public. Its honestly not that hard. And if you can't do that either adjust your shame level or your actions. Because no other paradigm is consistent with common sense or free expression.

Ah, see, I think this may be where we're misunderstanding each other. You're providing legal links, because you're discussing a legal concept. Which is important, and I've no doubt you're right about our legal precedent.

I'm also not particularly interested in the legal aspects at this exact moment, I'm talking about a moral or perhaps ethical understanding of privacy.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I don't know how I became such a Luddite so early in life. When I was a teenager, my friends would post shit on Live Journal or MySpace and I gave no shits and had no interest.

So, naturally, when Facebook came out I gave no shits and had no interest. To this day I have never even been to Facebook's website. I just don't see the appeal.

Nor do I see the appeal of tweeting or texting. Why wouldn't you just call the person? It has the benefit of asynchronous communication, granted, but still... that's what e-mail is for.

I'm not even thirty yet, but I feel like such an old fogey. Hell, I even resisted getting a smart phone until just last year. Why the fuck would I need a computer in my pocket?
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The "natural state" for what you refer to as public information has been that it does devolve back to private information since time immemorial. I think its useful to aknowledge that we're actually changing that - not just through Google glass, though it seems to be the most invasive.

Not really. If I have an eidetic memory, does that make me a threat to your privacy? An argument that its likely people would forget who it was that was caught shitting his pants in 3rd grade or who they saw at the strip club and therefore the information is private doesn't hold water. At what point does it become private? When its only a vague memory? If I write it in a diary does that make never devolve?

Rights can not be inherently based on the competency or failures of others. If something is only a right if other people cooperate with what you think of as "normal" its not a right, its a circumstance.
    I'm also baffled by the idea that nothing which happens in a public place could possible be rendered private by the participant's way of conducting that action -- that is to say, if I'm on the sidewalk and talking quietly with a friend, then you walk up and we stop talking, it's a private conversation. In a public place, sure, but we took measures to render the action private despite its location.

A house isn't "a long-term demarcation of an otherwise-public place to render events within more private." A house is a structure on private property that defines a private space. That's the textbook definition of what a private space is. In order to obtain information from within the house, you have to be an invited guest, resident, owner or illegitimate trespasser.

Speaking more softly doesn't in and of itself make your conversation private, it just makes it less easily overheard. And crossing your fingers and hoping no one overhears you (or that they forget) doesn't make the conversation truly private. If you have "knowingly exposed" something to "another person or the public at large" in public you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy because its no longer private. If you can hear it or see it in public, its not private, even if you lower your voice.

So if you don't want people to know something about you, don't do it in public. Its honestly not that hard. And if you can't do that either adjust your shame level or your actions. Because no other paradigm is consistent with common sense or free expression.

So, if that concept doesn't hold water, why is the EU debating making it a right? And why is Google spending $Germany to fight it, as well as raising the spectre of "censorship!"?
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think the worry comes from the fact that Google Glass can potentially look at a crowd of people, identify everybody, and provide a link to their Facebook details.

Imagine a situation like the Boston Bombings. Reddit went mental with looking for possible suspects in the pictures of the crowds. Imagine what would have happened if all of the false positives were able to be contacted by just clicking on them.

Disclaimer: The level of technology that would allow instant lookup might not be there yet, but it will get there, and best to work this out now than wait for some internet vigilantes to burn down a guy's house because he's guilty of Being Ethnic While Near a Terrorist Attack.

Probably not the best example, since they already had the pictures from other sources.

Your concern here is the software side, and is independent of Google Glass.
    Yeah the real problem with Google Glass is the potential ubiquity. There's nothing new at all in the software itself. In fact, most of it's pretty old.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular

Yeah, they aren't the same at all. A house doesn't demarcate an otherwise public anything, it makes a place no longer public. It changes the nature of the place, since the PUBLIC isn't allowed to enter it. Talking is whispers doesn't change the nature of a sidewalk. Just like wrapping yourselves in a sheet doesn't let you fuck in the middle of central park cause its now 'private' indecency.

And what was the place before the house was built?

We can alter expectations within a limited space by our actions, both temporarily and permanently.

What the place was before is generally immaterial. A private home is private property. It is not public property and is treated differently. The two are not the same.
    No no you're still speaking in legal terms, and I'm fully with you on that.

I'm talking about the generally-accepted principle that human actions can alter a location's expectations (otherwise people couldn't own land or have private residences), and arguing that this principle can be applied on an ethical level (if not a legal one) on a much smaller scale.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
    edited May 2013
    Ah, see, I think this may be where we're misunderstanding each other. You're providing legal links, because you're discussing a legal concept. Which is important, and I've no doubt you're right about our legal precedent.

I'm also not particularly interested in the legal aspects at this exact moment, I'm talking about a moral or perhaps ethical understanding of privacy.
    Well in an ethical framework lets say someone sees you walking down the street with your dick out.

Is he or she acting immorally/unethically by seeing it?
    Is he or she acting immorally/unethically by expressing this occurred to another person?
    Is that person acting immortally/unethically if they truthfully express what was told to them (assuming that include sourcing and such) to a third party who wants to know this person knows about you?

I would say no to each of these because one had no reasonable expectation of privacy. If they heard you talking about walking down the street with your dick out because they didn't properly whisper while in public, I don't think the situation is meaningfully altered.

So, if that concept doesn't hold water, why is the EU debating making it a right? And why is Google spending $Germany to fight it, as well as raising the spectre of "censorship!"?

Because the EU isn't big into coherent legal frameworks, doesn't meaningfully enforce the rights that declare anyway, and has a lack of entrenchment that makes any rights they define no more meaningful than the speed limit?
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am imagining a world where I have a constant, relatively robust, HUD at my disposal. This world features things like instant price comparisons when I'm shopping & bulletins on sales in town for items I'm looking at, pop-ups / checklists that alert me when I've forgotten things, face-name recognition so I don't embarrass myself constantly by forgetting people's names, warnings that alert me when someone is trying to scam me with a known fraud or presenting false information, little threads of information related to what's being shared in a conversation that I can choose to explore later (or right on the spot) and the OkCupid equivalent of 'winking' at someone (if they are running that app, they know you winked at them).

Do I like this world? I think I might, assuming that fusing with the core mind to access this stuff doesn't involve a ritual with the implants that is too complex.
    The Ender on
    Yes, I am still angry

Well in an ethical framework lets say someone sees you walking down the street with your dick out.

Is he or she acting immorally/unethically by expressing this occurred to another person?
    Is that person acting immortally/unethically if they truthfully express what was told to them (assuming that include sourcing and such) to a third party who wants to know this person knows about you?

I would say no to each of these because one had no reasonable expectation of privacy. If they heard you talking about walking down the street with your dick out because they didn't properly whisper while in public, I don't think the situation is meaningfully altered.

I would say no to each of those questions because if I'm walking around with my dick out, I'm displaying it.

If I'm whispering, I'm not displaying -- I'm concealing.

Intent is A Thing, and there's a difference between my dick and a whisper. In my case, a large difference. :winky:
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Because the EU has a hard on for fining US tech companies over made up bullshit.

e: And also a strong tradition of censorship. See: Anti-blasphamy law, Laws against denigrating heads of states/national symbols both domestic and foreign, banned political party(not just the one you assume).
    tinwhiskers on

I would say no to each of those questions because if I'm walking around with my dick out, I'm displaying it.

Intent is A Thing, and there's a difference between my dick and a whisper. In my case, a large difference. :winky:

So what if your fly is just down? Or you're stumbling drunk and you think you're whispering to your friend but drunk yelling?

Or what if you later regret walking around with your dick out and retroactively claim you weren't displaying it, its just people are too good at seeing through your concealment?

That's the whole point between public space and private space. In a private space, you have some ability to control information flow. An owner can prohibit photography, or bar entry without signing an non-disclosure agreement. In public space, you can't censor people from telling uncomfortable truths.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
  • CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ITT, soon to be old timers - including myself - recognize the coming darkness in the form of new gizmos that they most certainly did not grow up with.

Google Glass is weird. It is just weird. Are privacy concerns how we stop this stuff? If so, yeah. Privacy!.
    On the other hand, some of us did grow up in a world that had the Ministerium für Staatssicherheit. Remember those guys? I don't, cause I was like two years old. But they totally used to be A Thing.

I realize that maybe the generation whose parents gave them facebook feeds before they developed proper lungs and kept GPS trackers in their shoes might have a hard time understanding why checking in on Bodybook ("Its like facebook, but new") at a political rally in a public park might be a fucking bad idea, but - and call me old if you have to - I think the kind of fucked up shit we could do without recording everything that went on in public should inspire a certain suspicioun towards everyone who loudly maintains that there is no law against documenting who walks in and out of a certain apartment.

But then, we'd need to aknowledge that history did, in fact, predate the birth of Justin Bieber. Problematic.

The current federal government also has a military and a federal criminal justice system. So its just like being on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain. O M G

The idea that the federal (or state, or hell local) government needs Google fucking Glass to constuct this digital police state is laughable. Every block in every major city in the developed world has multiple security cameras. Google Glass would be among the least efficient methods they could use given the problems they'd encounter obtaining the footage and normalizing for head movement, hardware and perspective.

This of course ignores that increasing the mean by which a government can create a theoretical police state is not itself an evil just because a police state would be. Applying the same logic, we should oppose the Census, social security, FBI, CIA, IRS, FDA and revocation of the Articles of Confederacy. A weak government is not in and of itself good.

And I was 9 when the wall fell, so don't pull the "you're just little kids and at 25 I understand the world way better". I actually have memories that predate the end of the Cold War, and computers older than the web.
    Nope. Not round these parts. Need a permit and we ain't that big on handing those out. Along the same vein, I'm not super interested in discussing American legal precedent - it doesn't apply where I live or intend to live, and it tends to devolve into discussions where you need an ouija board - but I hope you noticed one of the links you posted claimed a public phone booth could be construed as a private space - that shutting the door and being alone in the booth meant you had a reasonable expectation of privacy.
    You lot might have cheerfully shifted to living as if stepping out of your house did in fact nullify any such expectation, but we havn't.

And while Sherlock Holmes could, in theory, have coffee outside the offices of a political party and remember everyone who enter, also 'round here, structuring that information into, say, a database without the consent of the people in the database would be illegal. Google Glasses doesn't, by default violate such a law either in letter or spirit, but as a technical platform it makes it hella easier to do so. Historically, this isn't a trivial concern, and acting as if the worst that could possibly happen as the width and depth of information available in the public sphere increases is the spread of embarrassing facebook updates, leaves something to be desired that can't be solved by calling people luddites.

(To be clear, I'm not actually saying I think Google Glasses should be banned, or even that I won't buy one - but saying that we're not radically shifting what the "public sphere" means with the technology of the past few decades, that this is just more of the same and thus not worth discussing, is wrong.)

(edit: Also to be clear, I assumed The Enders post was tongue in cheek and responded in kind. I did not actually mean to imply that anyone in this discussion was a little kid.)
    Calixtus on
    -This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I am imagining a world where I have a constant, relatively robust, HUD at my disposal. This world features things like instant price comparisons when I'm shopping & bulletins on sales in town for items I'm looking at, pop-ups / checklists that alert me when I've forgotten things, face-name recognition so I don't embarrass myself constantly by forgetting people's names, warnings that alert me when someone is trying to scam me with a known fraud or presenting false information, little threads of information related to what's being shared in a conversation that I can choose to explore later (or right on the spot) and the OkCupid equivalent of 'winking' at someone (if they are running that app, they know you winked at them).

Do I like this world? I think I might, assuming that fusing with the core mind to access this stuff doesn't involve a ritual with the implants that is too complex.

I have glasses with this feature right now, I'll sell you a pair for $1500. Hell it's a Tuesday, 50% off. $750 and they're yours.

So what if your fly is just down? Or you're stumbling drunk and you think you're whispering to your friend but drunk yelling?

Or what if you later regret walking around with your dick out and retroactively claim you weren't displaying it, its just people are too good at seeing through your concealment?

That's the whole point between public space and private space. In a private space, you have some ability to control information flow. An owner can prohibit photography, or bar entry without signing an non-disclosure agreement. In public space, you can't censor people from telling uncomfortable truths.

First paragraph: If your fly is down and it's an accident, then I'm gonna say yeah the person is doing the wrong thing on an ethical and moral level (not speaking legally atm) by going around blabbing about it to other people instead of letting you know (so you can fix it) or just keeping their yap shut. At the very least, they're being a dick, but I'm comfortable labeling it as unethical/immoral/"the wrong thing to do" in that situation, without other factors included.

Second paragraph: I get the feeling this one is an entirely separate issue because of the deception and falsehood involved, but I'm at work and I can't quite put my finger on it. Let's stick a pin in this one for later.

Third paragraph: So how does this moral framework handle something like an upskirt photo? Or, more complicated, let's say an individual trips and falls, landing in a position where their unmentionables are on display? It's a public place, and the only real way to morally object to photography of the incident would be to accept that the victim's intent renders a certain expectation of privacy on an ethical and moral level. Because in the case of an upskirt, your camera is still nominally in a public place, recording things visible from that public place. If that's all we care about, then we've got a pretty shitty moral compass here.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Not to be too conspiracy-theorist and anti-government about it but... the first article I read about this seriously set off my "corrupt power-hungry politicians" alarms. The golden opportunity for a greedy politician is the scenario where he or she can get the electorate all fired up over an issue affecting the future profits of a large corporation, and then, as many politicians are already doing, "invite" Google to come meet with them and discuss their concerns. I.e., let's talk money. As many in this thread have pointed out, many of the risks being fearmongered here don't make any sense. You can film people in public rather surreptitiously already. It's just that there wasn't a huge multi-billion dollar project riding on it until now.

EDIT: P.S.: Anyone remember the spy video that may or may not have lost the Presidency for Romney? Was he in private? No. Did he try to claim he was? Yes. Are we better off for having seen that? Probably. And so on.
    Yar on
    edited May 2013
    If only I had my HUD right now to check whether or not that's a good deal. Oh woe, technology.

:/

The Ender on
    Yes, I am still angry
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular

Because the EU has a hard on for fining US tech companies over made up bullshit.

e: And also a strong tradition of censorship. See: Anti-blasphamy law, Laws against denigrating heads of states/national symbols both domestic and foreign, banned political party(not just the one you assume).

The bits I've italicised tend to be national not EU laws. The EU certainly has interests in competition law but doesn't have a lot of competence in other areas like you've listed. That is not to say I trust the EU's tech or competition regulation but sometimes they are right for the wrong reasons.
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
    Third paragraph: So how does this moral framework handle something like an upskirt photo? Or, more complicated, let's say an individual trips and falls, landing in a position where their unmentionables are on display? It's a public place, and the only real way to morally object to photography of the incident would be to accept that the victim's intent renders a certain expectation of privacy on an ethical and moral level. Because in the case of an upskirt, your camera is still nominally in a public place, recording things visible from that public place. If that's all we care about, then we've got a pretty shitty moral compass here.

Taking the hypothetical that far, at that point I admit that I think maybe we as a society are due for a good desensitization of such things. People shouldn't care if their underwear became visible. In the future, we'll all be Britney Spears for 15 minutes, and we should learn to shrug it off and say "so what, it's underwear." And perhaps in doing so chip away at the perverted desire to photograph, upload, and download such a picture.

Yar wrote: »

Taking the hypothetical that far, at that point I admit that I think maybe we as a society are due for a good desensitization of such things. People shouldn't care if their underwear became visible. In the future, we'll all be Britney Spears for 15 minutes, and we should learn to shrug it off and say "so what, it's underwear." And perhaps in doing so chip away at the perverted desire to photograph, upload, and download such a picture.

That's all well and good, but somehow "get over it" doesn't seem like a useful response to the victim in this decade.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular

That's all well and good, but somehow "get over it" doesn't seem like a useful response to the victim in this decade.

This is really the right answer here. You can talk about post-shame societies all you want, but that simply is not how people operate, so any position based solely on the idea that people should just relax and stop caring about the things they care about isn't really very relevant to the issue of how to deal with google glass coming out in 2013.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    It would be my preferred response. Society has to grow up somehow. This is usually how things tend to progress. Not because of how we treated the victims of technological change, but because of how technology and progress before us changed society and what was important to future generations.
    edited May 2013
    OK so we'll come back and ask you what to do in about....70 years. At minimum. That's the earliest "get over it" will be a useful answer.
    Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg

First paragraph: If your fly is down and it's an accident, then I'm gonna say yeah the person is doing the wrong thing on an ethical and moral level (not speaking legally atm) by going around blabbing about it to other people instead of letting you know (so you can fix it) or just keeping their yap shut. At the very least, they're being a dick, but I'm comfortable labeling it as unethical/immoral/"the wrong thing to do" in that situation, without other factors included.

Second paragraph: I get the feeling this one is an entirely separate issue because of the deception and falsehood involved, but I'm at work and I can't quite put my finger on it. Let's stick a pin in this one for later.

Third paragraph: So how does this moral framework handle something like an upskirt photo? Or, more complicated, let's say an individual trips and falls, landing in a position where their unmentionables are on display? It's a public place, and the only real way to morally object to photography of the incident would be to accept that the victim's intent renders a certain expectation of privacy on an ethical and moral level. Because in the case of an upskirt, your camera is still nominally in a public place, recording things visible from that
    public place. If that's all we care about, then we've got a pretty shitty moral compass here.
    Well despite my attempt at levity with the dick hanging out example there is a reasonable expectation of privacy regarding your naked body. If you're making every effort to cover yourself, I would concede that something equivalent to an upskirt shot is unethical within a societal framework. At the same time, taking a picture of a woman's uncovered face would be considered a similar violation in societies consisting of hundreds of millions of people. Its an ethical guideline that forms at the border as an exception and varies based on social norms, not a central tenant.

But in a more general situation, I guess it depends on how much you value truth and transparency. If someone falls or otherwise does something embarrassing it may not be noteworthy enough to say something about it, or I may decide as a courtesy to not pass that information on. But I don't see any strong moral obligation to conceal the truth because it might prove embarrassing to that person. A lie of omission surely doesn't hold the moral weight of a direct lie (especially out of context), but that doesn't mean it doesn't hold any weight. If I saw my best friend's partner walking down the street with his/her arm around another person when he/she was supposed to be at work or or out of town, that partner might see it as a violation of his or her privacy and wish it to be concealed from my friend. I would suggest that not telling the friend - especially if asked a direct question like "do you think he/she is cheating" - would be unethical/immoral.

Finally I think there is an ethical imperative towards freedom of expression. The free exchange of ideas and information has an ethical component. There can be no true freedom of expression once you decide that a person can prohibit another from speaking truth about another arbitrarily.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    Also, everyone always says "when the young people grow up they won't care," but I don't think that's true. Look at how the young people who grew up in the 60's turned out. You get old, you become less accepting. It just seems to be the way of things.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Honestly what is going to happen is that you will be able to pay companies to go onto the internet and frantically destroy/blur/erase photos of you doing things in public. Privacy will become something you have to pay for. So Johnny Richkid when he goes to get his first job will go in with a nice clean internet history, whereas Jenny Poorhouse will have everyone who looks at her see a video of the time she got drunk at prom and fell into the punch bowl.

I imagine the service providers will be the ones to do this. So you'll be unable to take photos of Johnny Richkid without his permission, they will come out blurred or not at all.
    Your puny weapons are useless against me
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    That service actually already exists now.
    Quid on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    That service actually already exists now.

Yes, but it will move from being only vaguely important and ineffective to being vastly important and possibly effective. Rich folk will hire dedicated 'sweepers' to keep their pasts private, and to allow them to do fun stuff in their free time, the middle class will depend on automated services, while the poor have nothing.
    Your puny weapons are useless against me
    I doubt all of that. Stuff gets retweeted, reposted, quoted, cached, archived, emailed, etc. I'm pretty sure Internet cleaning always was and always will be a bit of a phony service for paranoid suckers.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So mostly caught up.

Some thoughts:
    1) Most of the privacy concerns seems to be with the software side of disseminating the information.
    2) I don't see how people will be recording/uploading everything they see/hear. That's a lot of data where 99.9999999% would be completely useless to the people bothering to do it.

Google Glass really doesn't seem that different to me in this regard other than it being more cameras.
    Also, everyone always says "when the young people grow up they won't care," but I don't think that's true. Look at how the young people who grew up in the 60's turned out. You get old, you become less accepting. It just seems to be the way of things.

I told you them colorvision telloscreens were no good for nobody, and now look what's happened. Everyone's watching them things and their eyes are just rotting out of their faces, and now sure enough they're selling everyone them Goggle Glasses. How convenient for them.

I don't need sounds in my movies or colors in my telloscreen or Goggle in my glasses!
    Yes, I am still angry
    Not to be too conspiracy-theorist and anti-government about it but... the first article I read about this seriously set off my "corrupt power-hungry politicians" alarms. The golden opportunity for a greedy politician is the scenario where he or she can get the electorate all fired up over an issue affecting the future profits of a large corporation, and then, as many politicians are already doing, "invite" Google to come meet with them and discuss their concerns. I.e., let's talk money. As many in this thread have pointed out, many of the risks being fearmongered here don't make any sense. You can film people in public rather surreptitiously already. It's just that there wasn't a huge multi-billion dollar project riding on it until now.

EDIT: P.S.: Anyone remember the spy video that may or may not have lost the Presidency for Romney? Was he in private? No. Did he try to claim he was? Yes. Are we better off for having seen that? Probably. And so on.

Yes, it's not like Google has ever been caught behaving badly, like when they were snooping into private Wi-Fi networks, or paid half a billion dollars over online pharmacy ads...
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.

I told you them colorvision telloscreens were no good for nobody, and now look what's happened. Everyone's watching them things and their eyes are just rotting out of their faces, and now sure enough they're selling everyone them Goggle Glasses. How convenient for them.

I don't need sounds in my movies or colors in my telloscreen or Goggle in my glasses!

Technology and social issues both generally march on, but I just don't think it happens as fast as some people here are suggesting. I can't imagine that even the 3 year olds with their own iPhones and facebooks are going to be ok with a total lack of privacy when they grow up.

I also think that it is a red herring to say that we are already comfortable with people seeing what we do now in public, and so the accuracy of the recall of our viewers should not matter. The inaccuracy of our viewers is a fundamental part of the human condition, and it does drastically change dynamics imo when you go from a world where people can see you but have no way to directly identify you or share what they saw in a way which would let others easily identify you to one where every person who sees you is capable of determining who you are and disseminating videos of you to anyone who types your name into google (or even worse, to anyone else who sees you on glass).

Let's return to me "business woman in the club" example. I think that it is pretty uncontroversial to say that a successful woman has just as much right to dress how she wants and dance how she wants in a club as anyone else. This behavior may not be work appropriate, but it doesn't matter. She isn't at work, is she? Now let's say that she meets up with a new client, or goes to work with a new boss, and he is wearing glass. He looks at her, and gets shown all the links that correspond to a search for her face, and now he sees a clip of her dancing. Obviously not the first impression anyone would want to make in this situation. In a world without glass, she could still encounter someone for the "first" time and then he could realize that she was actually they girl he saw at the club, but that chance is much more remote.

Mortious wrote: »
    So mostly caught up.

Some thoughts:
    1) Most of the privacy concerns seems to be with the software side of disseminating the information.
    2) I don't see how people will be recording/uploading everything they see/hear. That's a lot of data where 99.9999999% would be completely useless to the people bothering to do it.

Google Glass really doesn't seem that different to me in this regard other than it being more cameras.

Read up on the Wi-Spy case to understand why people are leery.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    So mostly caught up.

Some thoughts:

That's different though, as far as I'm understanding the issues mentioned here so far.

For instance, thinking about it on my local train commute I get recorded at least 4 times in both directions.

People also have their phones out and waving them around all the time on the train, I'm assuming they're reading/browsing etc, but chances are just as good they're recording everything.

My afternoon walk to the shop/through the park has me being recorded at least half-a-dozen times probably. The park almost always has photographers, tourists and video cameras set up.

While I don't go clubbing, there were people at work that did, and every Monday morning they'd load up the Club's website and look through photos from when they were there.

The Clubs themselves take the photos and have people wandering around taking photos, as well as having the option of people uploading their own photos.

We're already heading towards a world where everything is being recorded all the time. But it's not Google Glass that's the next step, or going to put it over the top. It'll just be more cameras in a world already saturated.

The software that allows us to use all that information will probably be the biggest leap forward (and we're getting there)
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    customary levels of privacy

I'm in the camp that this is kind of Chicken Little-ing. Privacy in public spaces doesn't make any sense. Even the word - privacy - comes from the opposite of public. If you are in public and people can look at you, you have no expectation of privacy in regard to your appearance, actions or other observable characteristics. Google Glass doesn't let you see through walls, it just provides a means of recording information the wearer would already by privy to. The only advantage it would have is the user doesn't need to take out a cell phone or tablet or camera, but if you're in a situation where you wouldn't want those things out then you should be aware that you don't want wearable computers being worn.

I'm not sure I agree with the "no expectation of privacy in public" concept because it breaks down pretty rapidly.

Currently we do have an expectation of - if we don't call it privacy, we should call it pseudonymous operation. You might be getting filmed, but most of the time you aren't and you can safely assume that at any given moment, only the people around you can see what you're doing and its only their eyewitness account that can be conveyed. That's part of why integrity and honesty are valued... much of what you do relies on your good word.

I think we can expect not to be recorded for later search and retrieval at every turn - that's a reasonable expectation that exists today.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
    As an aside, all the examples mentioned so far (at least the ones that stood out to me) are better handled through discrimination law updates and social/cultural changes so that the world we live in is slightly less shitty, rather than relying on hiding that information.
    So mostly caught up.

Some thoughts:

That's different though, as far as I'm understanding the issues mentioned here so far.

For instance, thinking about it on my local train commute I get recorded at least 4 times in both directions.

People also have their phones out and waving them around all the time on the train, I'm assuming they're reading/browsing etc, but chances are just as good they're recording everything.

My afternoon walk to the shop/through the park has me being recorded at least half-a-dozen times probably. The park almost always has photographers, tourists and video cameras set up.

While I don't go clubbing, there were people at work that did, and every Monday morning they'd load up the Club's website and look through photos from when they were there.

The Clubs themselves take the photos and have people wandering around taking photos, as well as having the option of people uploading their own photos.

We're already heading towards a world where everything is being recorded all the time. But it's not Google Glass that's the next step, or going to put it over the top. It'll just be more cameras in a world already saturated.

The software that allows us to use all that information will probably be the biggest leap forward (and we're getting there)

Google glass is that software though. It's the whole basis of the product. The largest search engine in the works is making a huge move into visual and audio searching, and that plus cameras feeding information directly to Google is the issue. The goverent can record me 24 hours a day. I don't really care. I don't care about random people filming me on the street either. What makes me uncomfortable is all those videos going to Google, who will make them searchable by name.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    The "you did stuff in the club" thing is pretty American in terms of its problematic nature. Other cultures don't have the same taboo, or they already have a standard of pretending nothing happened at the club last night even in private between the people who did it.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.