Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Privacy in the world of [Google Glass] and wearable computing . . . and wifi, apparently

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    All too often "privacy" is a term people use to keep the stupid shit they don't want others to find out about under wraps, and in that regard, hell yes I want that type of privacy eradicated.

No, "privacy" is a term I use to mean something that isn't any of your goddamn business.
    Rock Band DLC | Gamertag: PrimusD | WLD - Thortar
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    I don't think this is just about privacy though. I don't want to lose track of the (imo) more important issue here, which is the danger of always being connected. I love my iPhone, but I would be lying if I said that my life was conclusively better now than it was before I had a smart phone. I find that with the phone, I am never bored, I never just sit and think, and I am often less present in my world. Hell, this OP? I wrote it on my phone while I was on the train and walking to work. I can't tell you the gender of the person I sat next to on the train, and I can't tell you about a single person of thing that I passed by on the way to work, because I was busy reading comics, checking emails, and writing this OP instead of being in the world around me. The repercussions of adding another layer of distance are frightening.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Kryhs wrote: »
    It bothers me how many people want to eliminate the idea of privacy.

Why? Not arguing, you're free to have your opinion, I'm just curious. What does privacy offer you outside of your home?

All too often "privacy" is a term people use to keep the stupid shit they don't want others to find out about under wraps, and in that regard, hell yes I want that type of privacy eradicated. There should be nowhere to hide. For anyone. Not saying this is what you were talking about, though.

Privacy regarding identity theft is not a privacy issue. It's a shitty humans issue. In a perfect world privacy isn't necessary, and this is coming from a pretty quiet, private person.

The ability to do shit outside your home and not assume you are being recorded? This is an assumption you make RIGHT NOW.

Have you never had a conversation with someone you didn't want everyone to know about? Did it ever occur outside a home? Cause you have. We have long lived under the idea that what is outside the home can still be private.

An assumption you make wrongly.

People keep conflating two distinct concepts. Privacy and being recorded. People can record you, and not be invading your privacy. It happens every time you walk into a store now. It probably happens at your work place.

Its the sorting and searching methods that have changed the equation. Look at the Boston bombings. It took them a day or two to piece together the identities of the bombers. 5 years ago it would have taken a team of people weeks to pore over all the footage from disparate security systems and piece things together bit by bit. Both crowd sourcing and more automation have turned that job into a matter of hours.

the biggest protection in 99% of the time nobody gives a fuck and law enforcement isn't going to bother
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    All too often "privacy" is a term people use to keep the stupid shit they don't want others to find out about under wraps, and in that regard, hell yes I want that type of privacy eradicated.

No, "privacy" is a term I use to mean something that isn't any of your goddamn business.

Then you clearly don't meet the "all too often" criteria then, eh?

If you're in public you don't have the right to tell me something isn't my business. Rather, you do, but I'll totally ignore it. It's in public, and I (not me, just giving an example) will do whatever I want and you have no power other than going into your home or some other private location I can't enter. Zero power.
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    As a selfish side note, if these things become common enough programmers will be tomorrow's wizards, and I kinda want to be a wizard.
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
    shryke wrote: »

Why? Not arguing, you're free to have your opinion, I'm just curious. What does privacy offer you outside of your home?

All too often "privacy" is a term people use to keep the stupid shit they don't want others to find out about under wraps, and in that regard, hell yes I want that type of privacy eradicated. There should be nowhere to hide. For anyone. Not saying this is what you were talking about, though.

Privacy regarding identity theft is not a privacy issue. It's a shitty humans issue. In a perfect world privacy isn't necessary, and this is coming from a pretty quiet, private person.

The ability to do shit outside your home and not assume you are being recorded? This is an assumption you make RIGHT NOW.

Have you never had a conversation with someone you didn't want everyone to know about? Did it ever occur outside a home? Cause you have. We have long lived under the idea that what is outside the home can still be private.

An assumption you make wrongly.

People keep conflating two distinct concepts. Privacy and being recorded. People can record you, and not be invading your privacy. It happens every time you walk into a store now. It probably happens at your work place.

Its the sorting and searching methods that have changed the equation. Look at the Boston bombings. It took them a day or two to piece together the identities of the bombers. 5 years ago it would have taken a team of people weeks to pore over all the footage from disparate security systems and piece things together bit by bit. Both crowd sourcing and more automation have turned that job into a matter of hours.

the biggest protection in 99% of the time nobody gives a fuck and law enforcement isn't going to bother

And that protection is exactly what Glass is designed to erode. . .

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

If you're in public you don't have the right to tell me something isn't my business. Rather, you do, but I'll totally ignore it. It's in public, and I (not me, just giving an example) will do whatever I want and you have no power other than going into your home or some other private location I can't enter. Zero power.

So, in short, you're the modern incarnation of the neighborhood gossip?
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.

I said not myself. Considering how introverted I am IRL I definitely am not referring to myself. I go out of my way to avoid people in my office, for example.

I'm not saying my example was of a good person. I was just pointing out how little you can do about things like that even today. Glass won't change that. If someone wants to be an asshole they just will.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular

Actually you do. Because 99% of the time it's either obvious when someone is eavesdropping or you don't know the person and it doesn't matter or you can't record it for later dissemination/analysis or some combination of the above. Try whiping out a recording device or leaning in towards someone's conversation and you will see a reaction to your invasion of their privacy.

Given these answers though, you mostly seem like a creepy stalker who thinks anyone's conversation is his business. So ... yeah, good luck with that.

I said not myself. Considering how introverted I am IRL I definitely am not referring to myself. I go out of my way to avoid people in my office, for example.

I'm not saying my example was of a good person. I was just pointing out how little you can do about things like that even today. Glass won't change that. If someone wants to be an asshole they just will.

And quite often, there are repercussions for being an asshole. Neighborhood gossips aren't well regarded, for one example.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    I like this quote from Morozov in his second response to Manjoo:
    Starting with the erroneous assumption that I'm a techophobe, you seem to think that all I want is to replace machines with humans. But I want no such thing: I want Google to accept moral responsibility for some of its products—like Autocomplete—and then act appropriately. This might involve, among other things, delegating even more of its decision-making to algorithms—but also building the appropriate ethical infrastructure to supervise this delegation.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif

Being in a public space doesn't mean you aren't entitled to privacy. You seem entirely incapable of understanding the dichotomy between public space and privacy therein. You can't just walk into a restaurant and start filming someone's business lunch with a camcorder. Google Glass makes it hard, if not impossible, to determine when a violation of privacy is occurring. This is the whole point of the discussion, and you're dismissing the point outright.
    edited May 2013

And quite often, there are repercussions for being an asshole. Neighborhood gossips aren't well regarded, for one example.

Okay, based on this reply on the one above it I need to clarify. All I'm doing is supporting Glass and talking about how the privacy concerns are not real. Nothing more. I do not want anything specific to happen. Ever situation I've posted is something real that COULD happen today.

Yeah, you're right, gossips aren't well regarded, and some idiot going around asking if you saw such and such doing that hilariously embarrassing thing on Glass will be equally looked down upon. People should just, by default, leave other people alone.
    Kryhs on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    You start by looking at the moral aspects of the matter, for starters. I am quite comfortable in saying that if you are putting a keylogger on your child's computer, then there's been a failure in parenting. You even show hints of that, with how you quickly you justified the conduct of your acquaintance.

Ooooh you chastised me for my morals, I feel so dirty.

I'm just telling you what is normal. Which is a big part of where morals come from and end up going. If you want to actually debate the morality, we can. No one is hurting you when they violate your privacy. They're hurting you when you're hurt. If credit and payment systems had better methods of authentication (which they should), then I wouldn't care one bit who knew my social security number. Most of the time, someone is leveraging a misguided belief in an ideal of "privacy" in order to get what they want or avoid doing what they should do on an unrelated issue.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular

It bothers me how many people invent their own version of the idea of privacy.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+

Being in a public space doesn't mean you aren't entitled to privacy. You seem entirely incapable of understanding the dichotomy between public space and privacy therein. You can't just walk into a restaurant and start filming someone's business lunch with a camcorder. Google Glass makes it hard, if not impossible, to determine when a violation of privacy is occurring. This is the whole point of the discussion, and you're dismissing the point outright.

I can do any of that with a phone right now. I guarantee you I could be in the same restaurant as you and record damn near everything about you and you would have no idea at all. Glass. Changes. Nothing.

Not to mention in your example the diner could just complain to the manager and have the recording person removed because it isn't PUBLIC property. Which was the basis for every point I've made.
    edited May 2013
    Okay, based on this reply on the one above it I need to clarify. All I'm doing is supporting Glass and talking about how the privacy concerns are not real. Nothing more. I do not want anything specific to happen. Ever situation I've posted is something real that COULD happen today.

Yeah, you're right, gossips aren't well regarded, and some idiot going around asking if you saw such and such doing that hilariously embarrassing thing on Glass will be equally looked down upon. People should just, by default, leave other people alone.

If the privacy concerns we have are not real, how is it we have them? You have a perception of privacy that is obviously not the majority opinion. You're going to have to elaborate on how it is that all our concerns aren't really anything to be concerned about.

And even if people who are "Google Gossips" (a term I'm coining now) are supposed to be shunned, the information they share is out there, and even if it's not supposed to be kosher, people can't just ignore the information available to them.
    DarkPrimus on
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    If I'm walking down the street with my dick out, I don't have an expectation of privacy in regard to my dick hanging out. Time passing doesn't mean I magically gain privacy retroactively about public information. That's not what privacy is. Privacy inherently involves private information. Public information doesn't devolve to private information. Private information is information that only you or a protected, defined subset of individuals legitimately knows. Google Glass doesn't do anything magical to change what that is. If I can see something with my eyes and I'm not prohibited by statute from expressing that information, I have a right to Free Expression to state that information. And the people who receive that information also have the right to express that information and so forth.

Privacy concerns emerge when obtaining the information was illegitimate - where there's an expectation of privacy. And Google Glass doesn't do anything in this area that a lapel pin spy camera you could buy off the back of a comic book 40 years ago changes doesn't. Secret cameras aren't new.

Correlating legitimate information doesn't introduce legitimate privacy concerns either because in order for information to be illegitimately obtained at that point the basis for your search would need to be illegitimate/non-public (so the violation already exists) or the results would need to be illegitimate/non-public (so the violation already existed).

Privacy has its place, but conflating it with a right to be publicly anonymous or for absolute control over any data about you is fundamentally inconsistent with a society with Free Expression, accountability or transparency and creates a comical strawman for legitimate privacy concerns.
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • DelzhandDelzhand motivated battle programmerRegistered User regular
    I think that people have a legitimate interest in being able to define who they are in a given space. If you could not, then I would always have to be the most boring, bland version of myself, and who wants that? For example, I like reading comic books on my ipad. I don't want to be thought of as a "comic reader" though, because of all the associations that carries, so if everything I did on my iPad was public knowledge, I just would not read them. Who wants to live in that world?

Wow. That seems remarkably backward.

Woudn't you rather live in a world where your hobbies lacked those connotations due to the fact that anyone else who liked them wasn't ashamed of them either? Like maybe it would blow your mind to find out that other people you respect actually enjoy the same things as you, but they were also afraid of being considered geeks or whatever, so they kept them hidden too.
    9KKPPQw.png
  • JurgJurg Registered User regular
    I don't see any benefit to Google Glass, especially versus the myriad of privacy concerns it introduces.

I'm with @spacekungfuman on two counts. I already think we're a shittier society for our proliferation of smartphones, especially coupled with social media. I don't think we should go even further into the cave. But that's another argument altogether.

Second, I think we have a right to choose how we define ourselves in different contexts. I, for example, lead wildly different lives depending on context (let's say school versus open mics). It's not deceptive if my professors don't know about my hobbies, nor is it deceptive if my friends don't know about my academic work. It can be used for deception, yeah, but otherwise it is a wonderful, wonderful freedom, and to get rid of it would ruin exploration of one's self.
    sig.gif
    edited May 2013
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I think that people have a legitimate interest in being able to define who they are in a given space. If you could not, then I would always have to be the most boring, bland version of myself, and who wants that? For example, I like reading comic books on my ipad. I don't want to be thought of as a "comic reader" though, because of all the associations that carries, so if everything I did on my iPad was public knowledge, I just would not read them. Who wants to live in that world?

Wow. That seems remarkably backward.

Woudn't you rather live in a world where your hobbies lacked those connotations due to the fact that anyone else who liked them wasn't ashamed of them either? Like maybe it would blow your mind to find out that other people you respect actually enjoy the same things as you, but they were also afraid of being considered geeks or whatever, so they kept them hidden too.

We both live in the real world. While that would be nice, I'm not going to be the one who pays the cost to fight for that particular change in the world, and it isn't fair to force people to do so.
    spacekungfuman on

PantsB wrote: »
    If I'm walking down the street with my dick out, I don't have an expectation of privacy in regard to my dick hanging out. Time passing doesn't mean I magically gain privacy retroactively about public information. That's not what privacy is. Privacy inherently involves private information. Public information doesn't devolve to private information. Private information is information that only you or a protected, defined subset of individuals legitimately knows. Google Glass doesn't do anything magical to change what that is. If I can see something with my eyes and I'm not prohibited by statute from expressing that information, I have a right to Free Expression to state that information. And the people who receive that information also have the right to express that information and so forth.

Privacy concerns emerge when obtaining the information was illegitimate - where there's an expectation of privacy. And Google Glass doesn't do anything in this area that a lapel pin spy camera you could buy off the back of a comic book 40 years ago changes doesn't. Secret cameras aren't new.

Correlating legitimate information doesn't introduce legitimate privacy concerns either because in order for information to be illegitimately obtained at that point the basis for your search would need to be illegitimate/non-public (so the violation already exists) or the results would need to be illegitimate/non-public (so the violation already existed).

Privacy has its place, but conflating it with a right to be publicly anonymous or for absolute control over any data about you is fundamentally inconsistent with a society with Free Expression, accountability or transparency and creates a comical strawman for legitimate privacy concerns.

While secret cameras aren't new, they've always had a lack of legitimacy - hence why they are always concealed. Glass is aimed at changing that - look at how many people are saying that the people with issues over Glass usage need to just accept the "new normal" in this thread alone. As for accountability and transparency, there's a good discussion to be had that our popular concepts of both are woefully incorrect, but that's a topic for another thread.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    And I would argue that you are horribly mistaken, as laws like HIPAA can attest to.

I don't understand what you mean.
    Yar wrote: »
    You start by looking at the moral aspects of the matter, for starters. I am quite comfortable in saying that if you are putting a keylogger on your child's computer, then there's been a failure in parenting. You even show hints of that, with how you quickly you justified the conduct of your acquaintance.

Ooooh you chastised me for my morals, I feel so dirty.

I'm just telling you what is normal. Which is a big part of where morals come from and end up going. If you want to actually debate the morality, we can. No one is hurting you when they violate your privacy. They're hurting you when you're hurt. If credit and payment systems had better methods of authentication (which they should), then I wouldn't care one bit who knew my social security number. Most of the time, someone is leveraging a misguided belief in an ideal of "privacy" in order to get what they want or avoid doing what they should do on an unrelated issue.

I didn't chastise you at all - I find GPS tagging children, sans a good reason for doing so, to be distasteful and harmful to the child. My point is that behavior only becomes acceptable if we let it.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif

I disagree in the strongest terms possible. When you are in public, there is an expectation that your actions are public, but only to that audience. Even if someone wants to spread what they saw, if they don't know who you are, they probably can't tie it to you. Glass changes all of that. Now, everything you do is actually likely to be recorded and indexed, and if someone searches for your name, it may just come up even though the person receding it had no idea who you were. The shift is from the expectation that a limited audience will see what you do to the whole world seeing. How does that not have a chilling effect on behavior?

You saying that you find it to be harmful, as if that were an argument, is disappointing.
    And I would argue that you are horribly mistaken, as laws like HIPAA can attest to.

Just because I have a medical procedure done doesn't mean that I want the world to know about it.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I like how everyone seems to forget that small microphones and cameras actually predate them being attached to a large touch screen and a cell network connection. If someones goal is to spy on you, they can Glass or no. If someone really wants a picture of your dong, they don't need $1500 glasses to do it.

cedc155bfa94240f8c3165ff80f5148f.image.300x300.jpg these are $75 bucks. and can record 32gb worth of video.

What people are asking for isn't privacy, its anonymity. It's that actions they take in public to not be connected back to them.

It's not that someone will see them at the gay club, other people are already at the club, they will see you, you will see them; its a public place, and that's also its entire point. I also don't think its non-exhibitionism thing, since whatever thing they are doing is being done in public. Its that they don't want X finding out they went to a gay club.

The surreptitious recording is a red herring. People can do that now, they just don't because you aren't that interesting. The ability of Glass to do all the facial recognition stuff is what has everyone worried. But that will probably be in the Galaxy S9 or w/e.

This whole things seem predicated on the idea that people will walk around wearing these glasses eaves dropping on total strangers for shits, and just happen to be doing so at the same time those people are discussing their abortion over a venti Chai at Starbucks. And then will post the clip of video thats auto recorded with the persons named attached.
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Just because I have a medical procedure done doesn't mean that I want the world to know about it.

I have no problem talking about my autism, but that's because I'm autistic enough to find the whole situation amusing. On the other hand, I don't think many people want the interwebs to find out about their depression or bipolar disorder because some goose caught part of your conversation with the doctor or the label on your pharmacy prescription on his Glass.
    Knuckle Dragger on
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    I'm less worried about a few people maliciously recording stuff as I am about a whole lot of people unconsciously doing so.
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Registered User regular
    The potential ubiquity of the recording is a problem. I'm not normally a person who worries too much about being observed (I'm not that interesting), but the idea that someone could unintentionally record my facial expression when, for example, I heard that <insert famous bad guy> was brutally killed bothers me. Because I don't want to end up on a watch-list just because my friend glanced over at me and I was frowning at timestamp:3723 or whatever and that photo got snagged in a net.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
  • CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular

Except, for the vast majority of the history of the human species, it did - because people forgot. Alternatively, they only remembered what they bothered to remember - by writing it down.

This is not at all the same thing as everything you see ending up stored on the Cloud, and I don't think its particularly reasonable to suggest that there being no "expectation of privacy" makes something half a dozen people saw 20 years ago and don't really remember because, lol, they were as drunk as you were, the same thing as the Never-Dying YouTube clip that exists simultaneously on thousands of computers, seen by millions of people.

The "natural state" for what you refer to as public information has been that it does devolve back to private information since time immemorial. I think its useful to aknowledge that we're actually changing that - not just through Google glass, though it seems to be the most invasive.
    -This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Registered User regular
    I'm also baffled by the idea that nothing which happens in a public place could possible be rendered private by the participant's way of conducting that action -- that is to say, if I'm on the sidewalk and talking quietly with a friend, then you walk up and we stop talking, it's a private conversation. In a public place, sure, but we took measures to render the action private despite its location.

That's basically what a house does, apart from sheltering us from the weather. It's a long-term demarcation of an otherwise-public place to render events within more private. Huddling with friends and whispering is just a less permanent form of that same action.
    oie_70260dWqoNCrn.jpg
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Ugh...if these things take off, that's going to be a fucking NIGHTMARE for HIPAA compliance.

Everything from sign-in sheets to waiting rooms to the windows in hospital doors are going to become an issue if people are continually recording and sharing everything they see.

The fact that people have been able to do this if they want doesn't change the fact that now everyone is going to be doing this all the fucking time. Man, I really am glad I'm not in our compliance office (not really - compliance makes $TEXAS).
    steam_sig.png
  • CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    ITT, soon to be old timers - including myself - recognize the coming darkness in the form of new gizmos that they most certainly did not grow up with.

Google Glass is weird. It is just weird. Are privacy concerns how we stop this stuff? If so, yeah. Privacy!.
    On the other hand, some of us did grow up in a world that had the Ministerium für Staatssicherheit. Remember those guys? I don't, cause I was like two years old. But they totally used to be A Thing.

I realize that maybe the generation whose parents gave them facebook feeds before they developed proper lungs and kept GPS trackers in their shoes might have a hard time understanding why checking in on Bodybook ("Its like facebook, but new") at a political rally in a public park might be a fucking bad idea, but - and call me old if you have to - I think the kind of fucked up shit we could do without recording everything that went on in public should inspire a certain suspicioun towards everyone who loudly maintains that there is no law against documenting who walks in and out of a certain apartment.

But then, we'd need to aknowledge that history did, in fact, predate the birth of Justin Bieber. Problematic.

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Jokes aside, I think the applications for something like this in mitigating the early stages of dementia / alzheimer's disease could be huge, and I'm interested to see if/when that road is traveled. Biological brain going faulty? Well, now you've got a silicon back-up memory built right into your specs.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    That's basically what a house does, apart from sheltering us from the weather. It's a long-term demarcation of an otherwise-public place to render events within more private. Huddling with friends and whispering is just a less permanent form of that same action.

Yeah, they aren't the same at all. A house doesn't demarcate an otherwise public anything, it makes a place no longer public. It changes the nature of the place, since the PUBLIC isn't allowed to enter it. Talking is whispers doesn't change the nature of a sidewalk. Just like wrapping yourselves in a sheet doesn't let you fuck in the middle of central park cause its now 'private' indecency.