Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Asking out a restaurant hostess?

2»

• SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    The bit where he stops to point out that "hitting on" someone is the "language of violence" is certainly pedantic, but there's still a distinction in my mind between "hitting on" and "flirting." Specifically, the distinction is that successful flirting requires the back and forth of two active participants.
  • ToxTox I kill threads Let Piggy Chimp decideRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    "hitting on" someone, if successful and reciprocated, will lead to "flirting"

...and none of this has anything to do with the OP's...situation.

To the OP, pretty much everything needs to be said has been said. You need to understand that what you're thinking on doing is potentially the most creepy/stalker/rude things a person can do. If this does not go your way, you will likely need to not go to that restaurant too often, in case she's working. You probably want to not be there when she is for a while when this doesn't work out.
    Tox on
    3h5Wc.png
    Secret Satans! Post | D&D Wishlist | General Wishlist
    Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    This seems like a bad idea for a lot of reasons. The initial line is awful, never do that for the reasons everyone illustrated.

If you are going to do something, do the 'here's my name and number, call if you're interested' and leave it at that. However, without anything that sounds like any real 'connection', even that's pushing it. You need more than 'eye contact'.

Also, you frequent this place with your family, so you don't really have the option of being shot down and not coming back. If it even registers for her (sucks, but she might not even remember you) she may dread every time you and your family show up...waiting for you to ask again / ask why she didn't call, try to 'bump into her', etc.

Here's another thing - you sound somewhat introverted and...frankly...inexperienced talking to women. I've been there, and this is going to come off as being an uncomfortable and awkward 'line and run away' thing. It's not going to be smooth, and she probably has much smoother guys asking her out all the time. There is nothing wrong with asking someone who is out of your league...but you need to have a realistic reason to think why they would say yes.

Here's a good rule of thumb that might be very helpful. Before you even think of asking someone out, be able to articulate a few reasons WHY other than 'she looks pretty and might be interested'. If you haven't talked enough to find out what you have in common, and aren't being setup by friends...it's very much a longshot. It's one thing to meet someone at a pick-up bar or a party for a one-night stand, or even have that meet turn into something more...but most normal guys don't just start dating random pretty girls they see by throwing a line their way.

Basically though, just expect rejection and don't beat yourself up over it. Lots of fish in the sea and all that.
    steam_sig.png
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    It is important that you understand, just because you have made eye contact with her does not mean she is interested, or that she will be receptive to you.

There is nothing wrong in going back, and try to have a short conversation, asking her name and compliment her diligence and professionalism, perhaps you could obtain her name.

Don't let your expectations grow to big, but be confident though, and learn to be gentle. Respect her space if you notice she is too busy.
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • DragosaiDragosai Registered User regular
    I have a fair amount of experience with this, asking out waitresses, bartenders etc. Good, and bad experiences. The best advice I can give you is to not ask them out in the "traditional" way i.e. don't say anything like "Hey want to go to dinner/movie/other thing at such and such time/date in the future?" It's much better to pop in to their work place, chat them up when you can, nothing serious keep it very light, and don't monopolize their time. Then when you go to leave say something like "Hey I'm going to be hanging out tonight at this place, if you wanna stop by that would be cool", and just say bye and leave. This way they don't have to feel awful about being at work and rejecting you right then and there. This is also nice if it a place you plan on returning to because if they don't show up to said "hangout event" they really have not said no, they might have had plans or any other of a million reasons for not showing, so you can still come back to the place and not have it be extremely awkward.
  • DumpShockDumpShock Registered User regular
    I know this is a really late reply to this thread so sorry about that...

I'm going to say disregard about 90% of the advise in the thread and go for it. Everyone has valid points, especially about hitting on someone that is working. However you like the girl, her work is the only place you actual know her from (unless I missed something), and you don't have a realistic way to initiate any type of contact that doesn't involve stalkerish type tactics outside of her work.

Go with your original plan EXCEPT dial back with the " wanting to tell you that I think you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen" thing. Just go in when they are not busy and ask her if she would like to grab a cup of coffee some time. Keep it casual and make it quick because she is working. Take your shot and let us know how it went :D
    Enc wrote: »
    Isn't really the point that he doesn't like the girl, so much as the appearance of the girl? He knows nothing about her beyond her looks.

That is 100% the wrong reason to ask someone out. Period.

Without thread jacking (sorry if it is ceres) I respectfully disagree. I read your post above and understand the point your trying to make but, it also leaves very little room for human interaction beyond what your narrowing into acceptable means of interaction.

Let's be honest here. He posted for advise on how to ask someone out on a date cold. Everyone seems to be warning him away and almost making it sound like he would be a creeper for doing so. Why so harsh everyone? My advise was take a shot but tone it down from the OP. This IS normal social interaction or at least it was in our parents and grand parents ages. Just thank god he asked for advise so he didn't use that pick up line......

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I agree with most of the thread, but will add this:

Twice, I have asked out waitresses ("Would you like to go have a coffee sometime?") at a restaurant. The context, both times, was that:

1) I was in the lounge, on my own.

2) The waitresses had stopped, sat with & chatted with me about my work / their work / crazy people.

3) It was Hella late, the place was dead, the waitresses were not busy.

Both times the waitresses said no, but it wasn't awkward.

If those 3 specific criteria are met, it's probably fine to ask her if she wants to get a coffee. If she's just being a friendly waitress and you don't know anything about her other than, "Gee whiz, what a friendly / pretty waitress," it's more or less totally inappropriate. You're attracted to the image she's projecting while on the job, not her as a person.
    Yes, I am still angry
    edited May 2013
    Because, as she is a captive audience and forced to associate with him due to work obligation, asking her out would be a creeper thing to do.

If he frequented the diner regularly and this lady was bantering back with him at a regular basis, such as what would have been the case in our parents age, that sort of human interaction first would allow for future date setup. If your grandparent walked into a place and asked out a pretty waitress after watching her from afar it would be an absolute creeper thing then too.

Wow.... I disagree strongly and feel your tossing the creeper label into the situations cited to casually. Your entitled to your opinion and I won't argue it with you. Food for thought, if you applied Heinlein's quote in your sig to the OPs situation then asked him what he thought, what would be his opinion I wonder?

OP, Whatever choice you make or however it turns out, I wish you luck.
    DumpShock on
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Whether creepy or not, it is pretty futile. Waitresses are deliberately hired to be attractive, and they get tips by being nice to people. This ends up in a lot of guys over the years (including the OP) misinterpreting the attention they get as customers as interest in them personally.

Since their entire interaction is visual, unless the OP is the hottest thing on two legs, he's going to get gently shot down. Even if he *is* the hottest thing on two legs, he'll probably get shot down anyway, as dating a customer has got to be awkward.
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    DumpShock wrote: »
    Food for thought, if you applied Heinlein's quote in your sig to the OPs situation then asked him what he thought, what would be his opinion I wonder?

I have no idea what being a well rounded human being has to do with hitting on someone you do not know in an inappropriate fashion.

Aside from, you know, understanding not to do that.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
    edited May 2013
    I am so going to get flamed for this post. Sorry in advance Ceres, it will be my last in the thread.
    Quid wrote: »
    If you don't think asking someone out when the power dynamic isn't grossly out of whack isn't unfair you're quite simply wrong.

When did women become citizens in need of exaggerated protections Quid? Or to a lesser extreme, that all working women of the service industry or otherwise are portraying a role that is sacrosanct?
    I understand there is a rape culture that does need to be fought and discouraged in the young and old alike, but you guys turning this situation into some type of power play/creepy guy preying on the girl for asking her out at work has reached ridiculous levels. Reread the OP, he is (edit was so his age is accurate) 20 years old who finds the girl attractive and wants to get to know her. He was courteous enough not to approach her while she was busy. He came here asking for advise and some was really good and some borderlines on internet white knighthood to a sad extreme. We don't need to be telling this kid that certain people are off limits because other people do not know how to behave themselves, most people do know how to behave appropriately, gasp, even be shot down with grace and a smile. On top of that we are teaching him that by even thinking of breaking this foolish taboo you guys have created makes him less of a person. No sir, you are simply wrong.
    Food for thought, if you applied Heinlein's quote in your sig to the OPs situation then asked him what he thought, what would be his opinion I wonder?

I have no idea what being a well rounded human being has to do with hitting on someone you do not know in an inappropriate fashion.

Aside from, you know, understanding not to do that.

Then sadly your own hardened preconceptions of inappropriateness apparently have blinded you to the greater point he was trying to make about the human experience.
    DumpShock on
    edited May 2013
    Quid wrote: »
    I didn't say woman.

I said someone.

Asking out someone, anyone, when the power dynamic is grossly out of whack is unfair. If you don't think so you are quite simply wrong.

My apologies then. I was posting with the threads topic direction in mind.
    DumpShock on
  • The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    IMO finding someone attractive is DEFINITELY a good enough reason to want to know more about them. When I was single I sure as hell wasn't trying to go on dates with people I didn't find pretty. It was "is this person someone I find attractive?" If yes, proceed to "is this someone I want to get to know better, with the intention of dating?" if yes, proceed to "attempt to arrange a date."

Besides her beauty and occupation, what else is OP supposed to know about this woman before asking her on a date? Her cat's name? Her favorite color? The whole point of asking someone out on a simple date like this is to find out these things, to discover more about each other and see if you want to date more of each other.

For context, this is what the OP posted that he thought he might say to the waitress:
    Maybe say something along the lines of "hey there, I came here last week and I left wanting to tell you that I think you're the most beautiful girl I've ever seen and just wondering if you had a boyfriend. If not would you be interested in going out with me?

Like many, many people have pointed-out, the waitress is presenting an image for her job, so the OP is probably attracted to a mirage. That's not the same as knowing only some surface details about a girl in a club you just met.

It's also inappropriate, barring special circumstances, like many people have also pointed-out.
    Yes, I am still angry
  • EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Dump, this isn't about being a martyr. This thread isn't putting women on a pedestal nor saying that anyone who asks anyone out is a rapist. It is about simple courtesy. This girl is working. She is not there socially, she is not there to flirt. If she chooses to do so, then maybe this would be different. But approaching someone at their place of work, especially when the worm requires to perform openly, publicly, and with a degree of expected courtesy, is simple not the appropriate place on ask someone out. They have no positive recourse to turn you down, no way to escape attention, and no way to remove themselves from the uncomfortable position of being put upon while on the clock.

This is not just about girls, it is inconsiderate to anyone in this position. It's also not limited to asking someone out, pandering politics or religion or any other forced discussion is equally bad. It is simply bad form to force participation of a captive audience user any circumstances. It is, at its very essence, a mild form of coercion.

I don't know where you get this white knight stuff from, no one is saying dating, asking her out, or getting to know her is bad or wrong. We are saying doing so at her place of work is a bad idea, especially if the only reason is her looks. If he gets to know her, one on one, though banter and time of the two developing any kind of bond beyond guy looming at girl from afar, then this would be a different thread altogether.

Context is important. This isn't Earl and Bessie At the corner diner, bantering playfully each morning over pie. Maybe it could be, eventually. But right now? This is someone mooning over the prom queen from across the cafeteria.
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
    — Robert Heinlein
    But approaching someone at their place of work, especially when the worm requires to perform openly, publicly, and with a degree of expected courtesy, is simple not the appropriate place on ask someone out.
    This is the exact argument that I acknowledged I disagreed with very early on.
    This isn't Earl and Bessie At the corner diner, bantering playfully each morning over pie. Maybe it could be, eventually. But right now? This is someone mooning over the prom queen from across the cafeteria.[/u]
    The underlined has been my exact argument from the beginning and that he should give it a shot.

Let's agree to disagree on this one ok?
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA, SolidSaints Tube admin
    This is not a debate forum
    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Registered User regular
    He is asking her to a meal here people, not kidnapping her....could you please chill. There is being sensitive and then there is projecting your own issues onto a poor kid who just wants to ask a girl he finds cute on a date. It is not the end of the world if she says no. Nor is it some sort of power play to ask her out at work provided he doesn't use the situation to coerce and make it that way.
    We are not low.
    Let's agree to disagree on this one ok?

Food for thought, Where is the problem with the following sentence: I think it is acceptable to kidnap people, you don't. Lets just agree to disagree, ok? Answer: You don't agree to disagree on matters that are morally wrong. While the example is many, many orders of magnitude greater than this situation, both are rooted in the same mindset that is not at all emphatic with the girl being oogled.

Your perspective as presented is inherently selfish and potentially damaging to the woman in the picture depending upon her past (of which we know absolutely nothing). What if someone she met at the restaurant kidnapped her in the past? What if she is hit on every day and hates it? What if she is a lesbian? What if she really just wants to get through work, after a long and tough day, and finds the OP essentially cornering her at work to demand something she doesn't want to give? No thought has gone into what the woman thinks, what her perspective is, and why she might think this is wrong with your standpoint, it isn't a "go for it" deal. It isn't a difference of opinion.

It is selfish and wrong.

Your taking a lot of licenses to support your supposedly simple argument that its inappropriate to ask someone out at work. Not arguing or debating. Just pointing it out.

Sorry we disagree.

• AvrahamAvraham white men holding kittens dot tumblr dot comRegistered User regular
    Nine times out of ten, it will be absolutely inappropriate to ask someone out if you are their customer, or if they are your boss, or if they are your employee, or if they are your coworker.
    USZCf.png :bz :bz
  • HawkstoneHawkstone Registered User regular
    Seeing as Tube asked for the debate to stop and I missed it, I am just going to leave this thread and let it go....I just believe there is sensitivity and then there is paranoia...this thread is treading way over that line.
    We are not low.
  • k-mapsk-maps I wish I could find the Karnaugh map for love. 2^<3Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ugh, I hate these threads because it's just generalizations mounted on and pitted against other generalizations in what is patently a case-by-case issue. If you're reasonably emotionally intelligent you will pick up on the necessary cues to not ask her out in a way that is intrusive. It really depends on how they're interacting (if at all), how attractive she thinks he is, what kind of scene the restaurant is, how busy she is that day, whether they establish some sort of rapport beyond him just ordering food there, etc. All this is contingent on him correctly interpreting and navigating very subtle social signals. I think a reasonably emotionally intelligent person can distinguish between a waitress just doing her job, or having some actual interpersonal connection. People have met under weirder circumstances.

On average he is more likely to be wrong here, but even if he is wrong, there is a way of making it more or less bothersome to this waitress. I'm going to take a giant leap and say that if he leaves a note and never shows up again she won't feel horribly traumatized and objectified. The same goes if he invites her to a non-committal event that he's going to. "Hitting on her" in a very direct way, if she's not interested, may make her awkward, which is annoying, but not an unforgivable sin. And even there, there is variability. If he asks her out, and she hesitates or doesn't seem interested, and he says: "sorry, I didn't mean to bother you," it's just going to be a little awkward for a while, but far from the extremely grim picture that is being painted in this thread. It's up to the individual basis to do the utilitarian cost-benefit analysis. Worst-case, they're both awkward for a while; there are way worse life-debilitating disabilities that require major societal changes to accommodate in the world than being attractive and dealing with the occasional awkwardness. I think spending so much time on this blows it way more out of proportion than necessary.
    k-maps on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Bahhhstahn MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Might I suggest an online dating website for the topic starter? Much easier way to meet folks who may be similarly trepidations around the opposite sex. Also, lady nerds. So many sexy lady nerds.
    GT: NotMeekin
    Tweeter: @MeekinOnMovies
    FB: Facebook.com/MeekinOnMovies
This discussion has been closed.