Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[PA Comic] Wednesday, May 8, 2013 - The Rules

• ChrisAlgooChrisAlgoo Registered User regular
    Thirding the greatness of @TychoCelchuu's post.

Whatever the fundamental reason for Tycho (the comic writer)'s dissonance, here's the most obvious (to me) difference between the two sets of games.

Dragon's Crown and Hitman: Absolution are aimed at males.
    Bejeweled is aimed at females.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Registered User regular
    pyl wrote: »
    @TychoCelchuu

Do you seriously think "Boobs in games are okay" and "People should be allowed to like what they do regardless of gender" are diametrically opposed opinions?

That's not the point that TychoCelchuuu is trying to make. The point is that it seem very like that for Tycho (as in Penny-Arcade owner Tycho): "Criticism of things Tycho likes" is censorship but "Criticism of things by Tycho" is not.
  • The SauceThe Sauce Registered User regular
    There is no dissonance in Tycho's writings.

Some people are just having a lot of trouble seeing past some specific issues they are exceptionally passionate about to view remotely-related topics from other angles.

I was accused of this once, by those people. Which I appreciate, because now I understand why the communication failures were happening.

It wasn't me.
  • mRahmanimRahmani Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    4) Jerry thinks harmlessly poking fun at Bejeweled is not the same as leveling criticism at Hitman/Dragon's Crown. The latter rises to the level of forcing people to censor themselves - the former is just harmless ribbing.

This seems far and away the most obvious to me. Looking back at the newsposts, Jerry isn't saying Hitman/Dragon's Crown are the greatest things in the industry and every game should aspire to them. He's saying that regardless of what the reaction to it may be, game designers should have the freedom to make those things without being shut down. "More art", not less art, regardless of how terrible the art may be - the right to have and create the art should still be upheld.

With Bejeweled, he's not condemning it. He's pointing out that making it a female-only thing is silly and stupid, in the same way that marketing Legos only to boys or some such thing would be equally silly and stupid.
    mRahmani on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    4) Jerry thinks harmlessly poking fun at Bejeweled is not the same as leveling criticism at Hitman/Dragon's Crown. The latter rises to the level of forcing people to censor themselves - the former is just harmless ribbing.

This seems far and away the most obvious to me. Looking back at the newsposts, Jerry isn't saying Hitman/Dragon's Crown are the greatest things in the industry and every game should aspire to them. He's saying that regardless of what the reaction to it may be, game designers should have the freedom to make those things without being shut down. "More art", not less art, regardless of how terrible the art may be - the right to have and create the art should still be upheld.

With Bejeweled, he's not condemning it. He's pointing out that making it a female-only thing is silly and stupid, in the same way that marketing Legos only to boys or some such thing would be equally silly and stupid.
    But look at why he's saying it's silly and stupid. He tells a heartfelt story about how social pressure forced his son to hide his favorite shirt - how, even at a young age, his child's desires are being warped and twisted by society, forcing him to take something he enjoys and hide it, far away, and to feel shame about it. Jerry's implying this is a bad thing, and that it's the fault of people like those who make "Bejeweled for Girls - It's Purple!" for leading to these kinds of results. He's 100% correct, of course. Every time we say "purple for girls lol" we send the message that if you're a little boy and you like purple, you're fucked up and you need to change. That sucks, we shouldn't be doing that to boys, and Jerry is right to call Bejeweled out on its bullshit, tell the story about his son, and ask us to move forward into a world where people can dress like whatever they wand and play whatever games they want without feeling like their gender identity is under assault from societal norms.

But of course this applies just as much (and in fact far more) to Hitman and to Dragon's Crown. Women should be able to grow up without being constantly sent the message that their clothes aren't sexy enough (or even worse, that their body isn't sexy enough) but this is exactly the message we send to people when we take assassins and wizards and make them inexplicably sexy in our media. We say that just as boys who like purple are doing something wrong, women who don't want to dress up sexy for men, or women who don't have a body that men find sexy, are wrong. And we also send the message that games are made by straight men for straight men and women certainly need not apply. That sucks, we shouldn't be doing that to women, and this is why Jerry should be calling Hitman and Dragon's Crown out on their bullshit, not writing passionate diatribes where he equates anyone who criticizes those games with censors who just want something to get worked up into a lather about.

I mean, look at what kind of criticism was leveled at Dragon's Crown that set Jerry off in the first place. It's one paragraph long and it says "As you can see, the sorceress was designed by a 14-year-old boy. Perhaps game development studios should stop hiring teenagers? At least they're cheap, I guess." That's the sort of criticism we're talking about! Calling out ridiculous, stupid character art by saying the artist is immature. Surely that's not any worse than saying the Bejeweled people are responsible for making Jerry's son sad.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
    The correct answer is: there is no necessary confluence between telling someone what they can and can't enjoy or be because of their physical sex (or even internal gender), and telling someone NOT to produce something (even if you think that production is harmful to a group of people based on sex and/or gender).

I mean this is like basic logic.

Jerry is not saying "no one should produce products colored blue or red for boys." Jerry is saying "it should be okay if boys like products that are colored purple."

Stop making false equivalences. Stop creating false dichotomies. Your fervor is doing you a grand disservice.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The Sauce wrote: »
    The correct answer is: there is no necessary confluence between telling someone what they can and can't enjoy or be because of their physical sex (or even internal gender), and telling someone NOT to produce something (even if you think that production is harmful to a group of people based on sex and/or gender).

Jerry is not saying "no one should produce products colored blue or red for boys." Jerry is saying "it should be okay if boys like products that are colored purple."

Stop making false equivalences. Stop creating false dichotomies. Your fervor is doing you a grand disservice.

There is a delicate difference between, "You shouldn't produce that" and "What you're producing harms women, please don't harm women."

They might sound quite a bit alike, but there's a pretty profound difference.
    Darkewolfe on
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    There is a delicate difference between, "You shouldn't produce that" and "What you're producing harms women, please don't harm women."

They might sound quite a bit alike, but there's a pretty profound difference.
    Different people have said both. If you prefer the "What you're producing" line you can substitute that into my post and it changes nothing.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CARegistered User regular

I take it Jerry's issue is that people are telling his son that pink is a girl's color, not a boy's color, and that his pink shirt needs to go away. And I also take it Jerry is charging the Bejeweled people with doing this because they make their Bejeweled for girls game and color the box purple. I further take it that the entire point in putting these two things together in the news post is to argue that the Bejeweled people are doing something wrong when they do that.

Let me approach this from a different tack. Here's what Jerry's Bejeweled post would look like if the original post had been a Kotaku article written by someone else (call him 'Tycho'):

It has come to my attention, seated as I am upon the Spire of Dil'zahn, where I am attended to by an unceasing flow of winged familiars that bring me a constant stream of "news" from what you mortals might dub "RSS," that our noble hobby is again embroiled in "controversy." I put the word in quotes not because I am quoting - indeed, if we are to believe Tycho, the issue is so obviously one-sided that it lacks a key feature of a controversy, namely, something that might be said to controvert - but because this strikes me, like so many of these other "controversies," as just another tired excuse to get angry, to shovel coal into the flaming maw of the old, antiquated Train of Righteous Truth lately departed from its resting place in the Indignation Station, where it sits in the odd hours it has not been stoked into a white-hot fury, hours that lately are too few and far between. How well-worn the rails must be!

What is the crime, this time, that has the blogosphere all a-Twitter, that has caused us to once again board the train, to destinations unknown but somehow more just? It appears to be the temerity that the makers of the Bejeweled board game have displayed by daring to reach out to girls via the most repressive, vulgar, dare I say
    sexist means possible: they made the box purple.

You must forgive me if I once again take issue with the tenor of the conversation. Surely we can forgo the tears Tycho seems to want to inspire when he tells the touching story of his son's favorite pink shirt, squirreled away in some deep, dark hole of shame from whence it will never return. Weep, weep for the poor child's unnaturally restricted choice of clothing! Already the we are meant to see ominous clouds of gender normativity beginning to form in his little mental sky, and see him beginning to distort his personality by developing an unconscious aversion to pink and purple. The horror!

Perhaps my inability to be roused by Tycho's desperate entreaties is the same as my failure to feel the appropriate umbrage at Hitman's nuns or Dragon Crown's sorcerertrix. I cannot and will not ever see these issues as anything other than what they most assuredly are: a path, veiled and twisted and cloaked as it may be, to censorship. Art must be free, and this kind of public shaming does nothing except ensure that art is anything but. Does Tycho have a Grade A, marbled cut of legitimate beef with the poor makers of this Bejeweled board game? Or has he merely been pounding out a flank steak full of Mad Cow? I have my own opinions of the matter, but they are, of course, irrelevant. The issue here is not whether Bejeweled has taken the shirt from Tycho's son's back. The issue, as it always has been and always will be forevermore, is what we must do in response. The answer, which at this point almost rings tired in my ears because it is my constant refrain, is that we must have more art, not less. Censoring Bejeweled will not bring rescue the son's shirt from the depths. Only creation has the power to restore.
    youtubevi.png steamhg.png personalt.png lastfmx.png twitterre.png 65810446.jpg tumblrdr.png c8KNL.png xcom.jpg
    The above, of course, misses the point. Jerry didn't call for us to censor Bejeweled. He just pointed out how ridiculous it is to make "games for girls" and paint them purple, and he drove the point home by telling the story of how this sort of stuff manifests itself in society - it hurts his son. Nobody called for a censorship of the Hitman trailer or of Dragon's Crown. We just pointed out how ridiculous it is to dress your assassins in stripper nun costumes or to make your sorceress a massive-tittied seductress, and we tried to highlight these things by pointing out that this stuff makes the industry less receptive to women and it reinforces sexist gender norms in society.
    I take it Jerry's issue is that people are telling his son that pink is a girl's color, not a boy's color, and that his pink shirt needs to go away. And I also take it Jerry is charging the Bejeweled people with doing this because they make their Bejeweled for girls game and color the box purple.
    It's kind of incredible how you can have such a talent with writing words but apparently have some serious issue with reading them. Here's what Tycho's news post actually says:
    When I went to check out the board game, I was surprised to hear the commercial assume that only girls want to amass mineral wealth.
    It's because it's purple, huh?

Again: there is no connection between the two news posts apart from a very general overall subject matter of sex & gender. This attempt to create a contradiction and attack Jerry over it is not only in your mind, but it's also incredibly distasteful. Here he is posting something that by all measures you should welcome and agree with, but instead the opportunity is seized to launch a new round of attacks about something completely different.

You're sending a strong message: "don't agree with me about anything or I will use that against you in everything you disagree with me about."
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I take it Jerry's issue is that people are telling his son that pink is a girl's color, not a boy's color, and that his pink shirt needs to go away. And I also take it Jerry is charging the Bejeweled people with doing this because they make their Bejeweled for girls game and color the box purple.
    It's kind of incredible how you can have such a talent with writing words but apparently have some serious issue with reading them. Here's what Tycho's news post actually says:
    When I went to check out the board game, I was surprised to hear the commercial assume that only girls want to amass mineral wealth.
    It's because it's purple, huh?

Again: there is no connection between the two news posts apart from a very general overall subject matter of sex & gender. This attempt to create a contradiction and attack Jerry over it is not only in your mind, but it's also incredibly distasteful. Here he is posting something that by all measures you should welcome and agree with, but instead the opportunity is seized to launch a new round of attacks about something completely different.

You're sending a strong message: "don't agree with me about anything or I will use that against you in everything you disagree with me about."

So just to be clear here, you think in absolutely no way is Jerry criticising (either implicitly or explicitly) the makers of the Bejewelled board game?
    Alistair Hutton on
    So just to be clear here, you think in absolutely no way is Jerry criticising (either implicitly or explicitly) the makers of the Bejewelled board game?
    I just re-read all of my posts in here so I could see where you might be getting this from, and I'm drawing a blank. From my viewpoint, any criticism or lack thereof is irrelevant. To humor you, I re-read Jerry's post again, and I sense some implicit criticism of the commercial about the game, but none of the game itself. The "purple" comment about the game was not a critique, and it's clear from the body of the post that Jerry would find it "arbitrary" (at the least; probably ridiculous) that a purple product has to be for girls.
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Nobody called for a censorship

That's right. How do you force someone to censor themselves anyway? Seems like that would be semantically impossible.

Bejeweled is not a game for girls and Dragon's Crown is not a game for guys. They're both games for people who enjoy them, and screw everybody who says you can't or shouldn't.
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    I'm not understanding why anyone is hung up on the "because it's purple" thing. TychoCelchuuu isn't referencing specifically that, or rather that's not the entiretly of his argument.

Put simply:
    On one gender issue, Jerry equates a type of criticism with censorship.

Then on a similar gender issue, Jerry makes a very similar type of criticism to the one he equated with censorship.

In Jerry's own mind there seems to be a difference. I fail to see the difference myself. I would be very interested to have Jerry write in detail about what he thinks the difference is.

And you know, The Sauce, saying things like this
    This attempt to create a contradiction and attack Jerry over it is not only in your mind, but it's also incredibly distasteful.

Has a chilling effect on conversation! And several people have reliably informed me that "chilling effect" is just basically the same thing as censorship, so shame on you.
    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Amazon Wishlist
    Nobody's censoring anybody.
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am wasting way too much time Awesomeing everything TychoCelchuuu posts. I should just automate the process.
    Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »

tumblr_ma6l30EsZA1r3ozv4o1_500.jpg
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    Cambiata wrote: »

And now we all understand the Tale of Two Newsposts.

Er, not exactly. You and I know that neither of the criticisms constitute censorship, and even trying to equate the criticisms with censorship is silly. The word censorship itself is, ludicrously, often used in these kinds of conversations as a shorthand way to tell people to shut up.

The question is why Jerry doesn't understand the ridiculousness of crying "censor!" over one subject, then turning around and duplicating the work of the "censors" in almost the very same subject. The answer to that question is not to be found in a Simpson's meme.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist

Er, not exactly. You and I know that neither of the criticisms constitute censorship, and even trying to equate the criticisms with censorship is silly. The word censorship itself is, ludicrously, often used in these kinds of conversations as a shorthand way to tell people to shut up.

The question is why Jerry doesn't understand the ridiculousness of crying "censor!" over one subject, then turning around and duplicating the work of the "censors" in almost the very same subject. The answer to that question is not to be found in a Simpson's meme.

This is the last time Jerry accused anyone of censorship:

i-dXBjSvG-X3.jpg
    The newspost of 4/24/13 was a lot more recent than that. It was just over two weeks ago in fact.
    They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself.

I mean unless you want to argue the sarcasm in the first sentence doesn't exist, which is a thing to do I guess.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2013
    The newspost of 4/24/13 was a lot more recent than that. It was just over two weeks ago in fact.
    They’re not censors, though - oh, no no. You’ll understand it eventually; what you need to do is censor yourself.

I mean unless you want to argue the sarcasm in the first sentence doesn't exist, which is a thing to do I guess.

How possible is it to censor yourself?
    Paladin on
    Also the comic you quoted is probably not the best argument for Jerry not being overly melodramatic about percieved censorship, because it's pretty embarassingly heavy-handed itself. They'd almost certainly have communicated their ideas better with a joke than with the serious moment(tm) comic.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist

Ask Jerry, I guess? I'm not sure what you're getting at.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    I'm not sure why there's uncertainty about that quote of his - about censoring yourself.

See, I think for a lot of people on a lot of topics, they don't want to make a law restricting behavior - they don't want to censor people. They want to get people to see how it is wrong and so, in learning why something is wrong, the person stops the behavior on their own.

Like, nobody wants to make a law saying you can't call people a retard, for example. They want to educate people that it is a hurtful thing to say so people will stop saying it on their own.

So in this case what he's railing against is the idea that people don't want to keep you from drawing giant-breasted women, they want you to understand why it is anti-women so you want to stop doing it. Which in this case for Tycho is an insidious kind of censorship.
    ferb.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132

Ask Jerry, I guess? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

The answer is that is it not. You can control what you say, but it will always be your choice. Your freedom will not be impinged just because someone told you to stop talking. In a society free of censorship, the only thing people will have the power to censor is themselves. They are free to communicate, to criticize, and to criticize criticism ad infinitum because nobody should be able to force you to shut up. Nobody censors anybody. You were agreeing with Tycho the whole time.

Um. Paladin, that's a pretty serious misread of everything Jerry has said on the subject.

mare_imbrium explained it really well, if that helps you at all.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    edited May 2013
    It's not censorship. Censorship is a word we use to the point of oxymoronic nonsense words like "censor yourself." It's the boogeyman, it doesn't exist. You've got to dig deeper, take the recursion farther. What is the real connection between those two newsposts? What word does he use to describe what's actually going on?

It's weird that we let other people tell us what we should like and what we should hate. It's weird that people do this to each other, and it's weird that we let them do this. They're not censors, though - oh, no no. They're the people who tell you what to believe and what not to believe, and you believe them without question. When they tell you to censor yourself, you comply the best you can - even though that's impossible, because they understand more than you. And by some weird power, the people who cannot censor you in any sort of legal sense change your behavior, even though you are under no actual obligation to do so. It's not censorship, but it's weird.
    Paladin on
    I think any sort of argument is, in a sense, telling you what to believe. It's giving you reasons for thinking one thing or another. Your posts are telling us what to believe, my posts are telling us what to believe, Jerry's posts are telling us what to believe, and so on. The question is whether someone has good or bad reasons for telling to believe something. If I tell you to believe that Zeus is the cause of thunder because I had a vision of almighty Zeus on Mount Olympus throwing thunderbolts, you may be dubious. If I tell you to believe that Bejeweled saying "purple is a girl color!" is maybe not helpful or to believe that Dragon's Crown should maybe not depict women like it does because this leads to tangible bad results in the gaming industry and in society in general, you might also be dubious, but if you are I think you'd have worse reasons for being dubious. If I tell you to believe that my nickname on the Penny Arcade forums is "TychoCelchuuu" because that's what I registered my username as, you could again be dubious, but in that case I think your reasons for being dubious are even worse. I suppose in one sense it's all a matter of degree.
    So what you're saying is that people should not fall into the trap of believing something just because they're told and instead always force themselves to look for the underlying reasons and context that shape these arguments, in which case I say that I care about the way you think I think precisely as much as I want to care about the way I think you think I think because I think.
    I don't think there's a logical disparity if you consider Tycho's argument to be that they shouldn't market games, which are universally appealing, towards a particular gender, because if you market things towards a specific gender you shame those of the other gender who enjoy them (like society's penchant for marking this or that color "for girls"). Then you imagine that making hyper sexualized female characters in games is marketing a game towards men. Heterosexual men in particular.
    This is the crux of it and is basically correct, except in the case of Jerry's previous Dragon's Crown post it wasn't about the game's marketing. And no, the art in the game is not an attempt by the studio to market the game to men. It doesn't take much investigation of the game's design and history to uncover this.

That said, there actually is a discussion that could be had about the marketing of Dragon's Crown, which would have been a great discussion to have if people weren't overly caught up in what was in the game. The actual piece of art that gets the most criticism was, in fact, a marketing piece done for Japanese game stores at the request of those game stores. What's interesting is that the artist had art in a relatively similar vein with the male characters, but none of the game stores wanted it. The artist has communicated a sense of annoyance about that (I believe it was in the news post's thread, but maybe in the DC thread instead).

That kind of thing actually would be a problem (the notion that only guys want to play beat-em-up video games), and I think Jerry would have been happy to make similar statements as the Bejewelled game if that was the conversation that was taking place. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

Instead what we got was a juvenile shaming game played with large amounts of snark, lots of smarmy image insertions, and Agree-button fist pumping, Broseph style. Thor help you if you had the least bit of a non-conforming voice, too.
    edited May 2013
    What's interesting is that the artist had art in a relatively similar vein with the male characters, but none of the game stores wanted it. The artist has communicated a sense of annoyance about that (I believe it was in the news post's thread, but maybe in the DC thread instead).

The three dwarves thing? Uh, no, that image is nowhere near the level of sexualization of the Sorceress. It only even qualifies as barely erotic because of the wink. If he wanted to make that an image of how sexy the dwarf is, where is the bulging package, where is the over-the-shoulder-look-at-my-ass pose?

I'm a little appalled at the level of self-deception you're going to to "get back" at people who dared to disagree with you.

Edit: Also? No it wasn't just the promotional images that oversexualized the Sorceress. I've seen the video of this character's gameplay. She's very clearly overly sexualized in the game, too.
    Cambiata on
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist
    I don't think there's a logical disparity if you consider Tycho's argument to be that they shouldn't market games, which are universally appealing, towards a particular gender, because if you market things towards a specific gender you shame those of the other gender who enjoy them (like society's penchant for marking this or that color "for girls"). Then you imagine that making hyper sexualized female characters in games is marketing a game towards men. Heterosexual men in particular.
    This is the crux of it and is basically correct, except in the case of Jerry's previous Dragon's Crown post it wasn't about the game's marketing. And no, the art in the game is not an attempt by the studio to market the game to men. It doesn't take much investigation of the game's design and history to uncover this.

That said, there actually is a discussion that could be had about the marketing of Dragon's Crown, which would have been a great discussion to have if people weren't overly caught up in what was in the game. The actual piece of art that gets the most criticism was, in fact, a marketing piece done for Japanese game stores at the request of those game stores. What's interesting is that the artist had art in a relatively similar vein with the male characters, but none of the game stores wanted it. The artist has communicated a sense of annoyance about that (I believe it was in the news post's thread, but maybe in the DC thread instead).

That kind of thing actually would be a problem (the notion that only guys want to play beat-em-up video games), and I think Jerry would have been happy to make similar statements as the Bejewelled game if that was the conversation that was taking place. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

Instead what we got was a juvenile shaming game played with large amounts of snark, lots of smarmy image insertions, and Agree-button fist pumping, Broseph style. Thor help you if you had the least bit of a non-conforming voice, too.

the number one rule of agree club is don't talk about agree club. It cuts down on repetitive posting and helps people strive to a better standard, and the only way to exacerbate its group-think side effect is to rail against it. Just wear the pink shirt and be satisfied.
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Bejeweled is not a game for girls and Dragon's Crown is not a game for guys.

On a very basic level, this is correct, but both show problematic approaches to the way the are marketed and designed as if they are. Bejeweled makes the assumption that girls like purple and that - for god knows what reason - they are also more likely to want to play a game about shifting around gems. Possibly this attitude is even linked to video games, where I have seen the equally damaging idea from many make gamers that girls don't play "real games". Every time a woman who is in the public eye says they play "Real games" plenty of people come out of the woodwork to say "Are you basically just a booth babe".

It isn't a huge stretch to imply that the same gender stereotypes that produce things like bejeweled being a "game for girls, because it is marketed with certain colors and is about gems" is not far away from video games. Video games are marketed "for men" in similar damaging ways, as was argued and you willfully ignored for most of the previous discussion. Dragon's Crown is not inherently "For men" and neither are video games in general: but video games are just as exclusionary as the people who say "Your son cannot wear a purple/pink shirt, because that's for girls". No a game is exclusionary because it routinely depicts women as agency devoid objects to be rescued, impossible proportioned supermodels or maybe just not at all.

Didn't you read the actual thread previously and notice how many said women were a great "feature", like something you add to the box as an afterthought. Did you, at any point, wonder how utterly absurd it would be for a video game or anyone to write being a man about a video game was a "feature". Before even remotely continuing, please think about this first and how it relates to the color discussion (which occurs at a much younger age). It is really the same concept.

And yet you wonder about if games are being implicitly made or directed at men in particular, trying to claim that is wrong? That is, by definition willfully missing the entire point of the argument and completely showing you didn't take the time, or effort, to understand any of the arguments made to you previously.

Of course if you agree that telling boys pink/purple is wrong, do you therefore disagree that it's okay for women to have constant body image issues caused by the media at large? Do you think it isn't okay to tell girls that "Games are for boys" and then think that is reinforced by the depiction of most women in games (if present at all), the abuse that women receive online for speaking in an online game with men (which is absolutely no different in its effect in being exclusionary and enforcing gender barriers to Jerry's son being bullied for wearing a pink shirt FYI).

Because from your arguments, I don't get a clear idea that you think either of these things aren't okay, or if you don't think they are okay (I hope), that they are actually major problems that the games industry needs to solve.

The thing we are bringing up here is that it is extremely weird, IMO, that Jerry correctly recognizes the exclusionary and wrong effect of telling boys (or girls) they should like something based on color or some design (moving around gems), while missing that video games - perhaps not deliberately but in effect - exclude women for a multitude of reasons given above that he ultimately defends as "art". That's the core point, because both of these things are wrong and inherently produce an exclusionary atmosphere or artificial gender barriers.

Edit: And I would point out that board games and toys also do a lot of similar things in their marketing, only at early years it's about colors or styles of games (pretty puzzle games for girls, war games for boys etc). Then once hormones kick in it becomes more about blowing things up and women with massive tits and strange proportions for boys, and then those same "gamers" implying that women only want to play "non-games" like - and I say this with all irony intended - bejeweled.

And yet you act so confused why there is a problem with rampant sexism in the games industry towards women and where it comes from. Have you ever considered it starts early and becomes increasingly reinforced over time?
    Aegeri on
    Apparently not, because I'm confused and don't take the time or effort to understand arguments because you say so.

But you don't get to decide that, and you don't get to decide what non-topical stuff hormones do to boys or whether girls should give some video games a pass because there are some bad apples in the community. You could very well be right, but you could also be wrong - passion came before acceptance in the entrance of women into art, books, movies, music, and now games, and I choose to believe that women won't quit until they've found their place, and it will be without the patronization of anyone - even themselves. A game is not a urinal, it's not a tampon, it is at its very base an entertaining shared toy meant to be enjoyed by as many people as possible, and everyone loves toys. Some games people may like more than others, but hating all games on principle? That is probably pretty rare.

How I feel about games is in at least a slight way under my control, and if you tell me I should feel bad about playing a game, I may or may not take up that sentiment, but whatever I do is entirely my choice. I at least have control over my own preferences should I wish it, and if that brings on exclusion, I have the capacity to weigh the benefits. If you want to try and change that, by all means; I believe we are on equal footing at least right now by how much we let each other affect our beliefs, so the only power we wield is by the leave of the other individual. That is the most comfortable way to argue.

You can judge people, men and women, for playing Bejeweled or Dragon's Crown, but that doesn't mean any of the judges or right or any of the judged should care. They do because they want to feel accepted, or for some other valid reason, but that doesn't come without a price.
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    This is yet another example of you making a disingenuous argument to avoid anything that was said - honestly I am curious what "hormones" had to do with Jerry's son deciding not to wear pink and how the unfair treatment of women in the games industry is "hormone" related, but that is just me - and then trying to change the topic into something irrelevant.

So unless you actually want to debate the substance of my post Paladin, I don't think there is anything further to gain from continuing to reply to you. You have not addressed anything I wrote and I won't let you drag the argument down irrelevant rabbit holes.
    Aegeri on
    That's okay, the hormones thing puzzled me too, as it seemed a bit out of character considering what you were saying in the rest of your post. It was probably used more figuratively than perceived. I still believe that the assumption that only x gender or x whatever will like a certain piece of content is ultra cynical, which is what Jerry found weird about Bejeweled and shirts. "Your son will not like this, he should stick with that instead." "Your daughter shouldn't really be doing stuff like this." The product itself is not the factor being criticized - it's the judgment that the public makes of it. "Bejeweled is full of gems and pastel tones, that's totally a girl thing." "Dragon's Crown has a half naked lady in it, how could it possibly be for girls?" The nature of the art is not a variable in this equation, and the statement is logically congruent. You can draw further arguments by including more variables, but you'd be arguing with people who engage rather than the newspost, which doesn't seek to cross that barrier. I don't really want to go further than that either, because comic threads are the second most strictly enforced threads in the forum.
    Apparently not, because I'm confused and don't take the time or effort to understand arguments because you say so.

Nah man, not because Aegeri or anyone else says so. This conclusion comes 100% based on the content of your posts.
    -Tal wrote:
    Steam
    Amazon Wishlist