Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Hate Speech]: how America (and the world) deals with it

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Xrdd wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    You're wrong. You (and those who agree with you) do get to define legitimate speech. In nations with speech codes enforced by the state, allowable speech necessarily changes with the political winds.

Not really, because in reality hate speech laws aren't actually used to suppress political ideas unpopular with the current government.

I'm getting dizzy with people circling back to this argument that we have dispelled a number of times.

But:

Yes really. You make a hate speech law, you have to define hate speech. That work is done by politicians. Later, different politicians will change the definition, and when you object, they will say "it's obviously legal, I'm sorry you like talking about how much you hate things I like but now you're going to jail for it."

Your only hope for this not happening is to elect people who will be benevolent with their power, and I say fuck that noise. I'd much rather have them constrained by the founding documents than constrained by me giving them puppy dog eyes.

It's really funny how you pretend that never happens in the real world as an inevitable outcome.

Also, it's more like "Later, different politicians could possibly try (and fail) to change or expand the definition if they felt the need to commit political suicide."

Also, countries with hate speech laws can still have constitutional protections for speech that the inevitable expanded definitions of hate speech that you fantasize about could run afoul of.

Finally, if this is so inevitable, go on, provide some actual examples of the definition of hate speech "[changing] with the political winds".

You are answering "this can happen" with "it won't happen" and "I don't think it's happened yet".

The problem is that it can happen. You want to rely on the mercy of your leaders and the sensible behavior of your fellow citizens to protect your rights. I prefer not to.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    It is amazing how few people understand the ‘slippery slope’.

Example.
    1. "I will open the front door, to let the cool breeze in.”
    2. “Opening the front door will let flies in, I don’t want flies, don’t open the front door.”
    ^THIS IS NOT A ‘SLIPPERLY SLOPE’. Arguing that a single action has an undesired consequence is not a ‘slippery slope’.

Example
    1. I will open the front door, to let the breeze in.
    2. If you open the front door, you’ll want to open the back door, and then soon ALL THE DOORS WILL BE OPEN and chaos will ensue.
    ^This is a slippery slope.

To further clarify.
    1. I want hate speech laws, to stop asshats from saying hateful shit.
    2. Hate speech law can be used to stop not asshats from saying unpopular things.
    ^Not a slippery slope.

2. If we get hate speech laws, then tomorrow we’ll have to get mean speech laws, and then the day after we’ll have to make laws preventing moderately irritating speech.
    ^Is a slippery slope.

Except the actual step two for this part is "they will be used to stop not asshats from saying unpopular things." which is a slippery slope.

Nope, it is still not.

Even f it was, the slippery slope is not always a fallacy. :)

You've been asking people to prove the slippery slope is fallacious in this case though, which I believe you can probably see the issue with.

And no one has satisfactorily showed that it isn't fallacious here. So it is safe to conclude that hate speech laws, and a less-than-american constitutional free speech don't result in a doom and gloom scenario.
    You're wrong. You (and those who agree with you) do get to define legitimate speech. In nations with speech codes enforced by the state, allowable speech necessarily changes with the political winds.

Not really, because in reality hate speech laws aren't actually used to suppress political ideas unpopular with the current government.

I'm getting dizzy with people circling back to this argument that we have dispelled a number of times.

But:

Yes really. You make a hate speech law, you have to define hate speech. That work is done by politicians. Later, different politicians will change the definition, and when you object, they will say "it's obviously legal, I'm sorry you like talking about how much you hate things I like but now you're going to jail for it."

Your only hope for this not happening is to elect people who will be benevolent with their power, and I say fuck that noise. I'd much rather have them constrained by the founding documents than constrained by me giving them puppy dog eyes.

It's really funny how you pretend that never happens in the real world as an inevitable outcome.

Also, it's more like "Later, different politicians could possibly try (and fail) to change or expand the definition if they felt the need to commit political suicide."

Also, countries with hate speech laws can still have constitutional protections for speech that the inevitable expanded definitions of hate speech that you fantasize about could run afoul of.

Finally, if this is so inevitable, go on, provide some actual examples of the definition of hate speech "[changing] with the political winds".

You are answering "this can happen" with "it won't happen" and "I don't think it's happened yet".

The problem is that it can happen. You want to rely on the mercy of your leaders and the sensible behavior of your fellow citizens to protect your rights. I prefer not to.

You already rely on them to protect your rights unless you're posting from an uncharted island somewhere.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Example.
    2. “Opening the front door will let flies in, I don’t want flies, don’t open the front door.”
    ^THIS IS NOT A ‘SLIPPERLY SLOPE’. Arguing that a single action has an undesired consequence is not a ‘slippery slope’.

Example
    2. If you open the front door, you’ll want to open the back door, and then soon ALL THE DOORS WILL BE OPEN and chaos will ensue.

To further clarify.
    2. Hate speech law can be used to stop not asshats from saying unpopular things.
    ^Not a slippery slope.

2. If we get hate speech laws, then tomorrow we’ll have to get mean speech laws, and then the day after we’ll have to make laws preventing moderately irritating speech.
    ^Is a slippery slope.

Except the actual step two for this part is "they will be used to stop not asshats from saying unpopular things." which is a slippery slope.

Nope, it is still not.

Yes it is.

If you want to show that, since A leads to B, B must lead to C, and eventually Z, you have to show why those things will happen.

For example, people who campaign against gay marriage say that it will lead to absurdities such as humans marrying animals. And we show why they are wrong by showing those things are in a different class, and anyway almost nobody is campaigning for that right etc etc etc.

So, for example, you say that hate speech laws will necessarily lead to terrible things. You need to show why that will happen. You need to explain the apparent health of the countries which have hate speech laws, and no, 'loleurope' is not sufficient.

Things do, of course, lead to other things. But the slippery slope fallacy is called a fallacy for a reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Inertiatic Dynamo Lawtonok, TexomaRegistered User regular

Example.

Example

To further clarify.
    ^Not a slippery slope.

^Is a slippery slope.

Nope, it is still not.

You've been asking people to prove the slippery slope is fallacious in this case though, which I believe you can probably see the issue with.

And no one has satisfactorily showed that it isn't fallacious here. So it is safe to conclude that hate speech laws, and a less-than-american constitutional free speech don't result in a doom and gloom scenario.

Neither does not having them.

So, why more laws if they won't do anything?
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Inertiatic Dynamo Lawtonok, TexomaRegistered User regular
    Continuing the proud tradition of everyone with a pats avatar being a goose of a poster.

(I have been conducting a scientific survey)

There are about 10 pages of backpatting, self congratulation from yourself. Not to mention goose comments like the one I posted that you were all about not too long ago.

So yeah um, kettle meet pot.

My superior British avatar lends all of my snarky posts a sense of classiness that just can't be faked.

Sorry.

As a Pats fan I'm required a sense of humor because fucking Super Bowl.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

Example.

Example

To further clarify.
    ^Not a slippery slope.

^Is a slippery slope.

Nope, it is still not.

Well, the people advocating them believe they will protect minorities from some of the more deleterious effects of abuse. They have not been claiming things will go generally bad without them, merely that they will improve things for minority victims of hate speech.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • GrouchGrouch Registered User regular

Example.

Example

To further clarify.
    ^Not a slippery slope.

^Is a slippery slope.

Nope, it is still not.

In addition to the occasional successful prosecution of people for hate speech, I like to think that hate speech laws encourage people to be more circumspect and thoughtful about the claims they make, and the manner in which they make them. Put another way, some people have talked about a chilling effect on speech that these law will have; I prefer to think of it as a cooling effect on inflammatory rhetoric.

Maybe that's not something you find valuable, but when I see the alternative and what it entails, I'm grateful for it.
    Some say that the laws will have a cooling effect.

Considering the Don't Tread On Me sentiment firing behind the people that these laws are probably going to effect most, I see the complete opposite happening.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Archangle wrote: »
    When it comes to infringing on a fundamental right (and not just in the US constitutional sense), then yes I do believe that the onus of proof is on the people who wish to place restrictions on free speech. I don't think it's unreasonable to say "So have any of these laws had an impact? No? Then gtfo".

I'm open to the idea that Hate Speech laws have a positive impact on society, but I'd like to see proof first - and I've been more than willing to say "look, if you wanted to provide evidential support this is how you should do it." Hell, I've provided more links that could potentially advance your argument than you have. I'm just not willing to do your heavy lifting if you're going to sulk and focus on ethnic cleansing.

Ah, so the folks who claim that hate speech laws of any kind pose some "extreme danger" to civil liberties and political discourse can make those claims without citing even a single real-world example or even coherently defining what those dangers are using anything other but stale cliches, but when I cite a real-world example of how unrestricted hate speech contributed to real world genocide that's not enough because now only crime statistics count as actual proof. Oh, and that the media doesn't actually do anything to create or perpetuate people's opinions, since they spring full formed out of the ether and people could just ignore social and cultural influences at will if they really wanted to.

Shift those goalposts!

I am also still waiting for any of the folks advocating for "free speech" to bother to provide even the slightest rationale why other forms of "pure speech", such as libel, fraud, and slander, are worth restricting, if indeed they think they should be.
    Lawndart on
    steam_sig.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Not really; we've been discussing laws criminalizing hate speech, not actual "unplug the radio tower" censorship, which is another can of worms altogether, and if you feel like discussing that, you can start a whole new thread for me to be all indignant in.

So you don't think that a discussion of laws criminalizing hate speech is the right place to discuss how laws criminalizing hate speech might have had a real world impact?

That's not what I said. You're discussing a hypothetical. In the hypothetical, laws are not used to criminalize hate speech; they're used to prevent it from existing in the first place, by taking away the means of speech entirely.

Do you not see A) the difference between the government putting someone in jail for something they said and the government shutting down someone's radio station for something they might say and B) that the latter is off-topic?
    Briefly, and ignoring all the other problems with that form of censorship, I will reiterate that attempting to solve genocide by preventing people from discussing it openly is like attempting to solve gun crime by banning paperwork. It is completely the wrong part of the problem to try and address, and so nonsensical and backwards that you end up hurting your attempts to solve the actual root of the problem.

How does an "open" discussion of genocide require validating and protecting the voices of those who think "yes, genocide is a great idea"?

First off, at the level of free speech I'm advocating, those voices would be protected, not validated.
    Second, how exactly are you supposed to have an open discussion of an issue if the people who believe in one side of it are not allowed to profess their beliefs, under penalty of imprisonment?
    But I guess if you can't successfully argue down genocide, your society is fucking broken anyway, sure, go nuts, censor 'em, jail 'em, kill 'em back. Is that what we're in danger of here in America? Ethnic genocide? Upthread it was cyberbullying and hurt feelings; how's that for slippery slope?

So now we're back to America alone and not some theoretical developing nation transitioning towards a more open media that should slavishly imitate the American civil libertarian view of hate speech because obviously nothing bad ever happens from allowing hate speech including incitement to genocide?

I dunno, we seem to keep jumping back and forth. Anyway, I did answer your question: if your country chooses "genocide" over "not genocide" through free and open discussions with itself, having restricted discussions with itself instead is not going to solve that problem. (And do you think that people angry and crazy enough to want to murder people are going to care about a possible two-year jail sentence?) If a country has a major element within it calling for genocide, things have gone far enough that your next step is military intervention, not outlawing the speech.
    My real argument remains the same as it's always been: when you open the door up to these things, the use of that door must be based in reason, not arbitrary gut certainty. The fact is that the orthodoxy is always wrong in one way or another, and the only thing that makes that even remotely okay is that the orthodoxy is always in motion under pressure from people who question and challenge it. I'm not saying that the "axiom" that no people should be killed simply because they are members of a group is wrong, or will later be proven wrong; I'm saying that using the might of the state to deny someone's right to challenge that axiom on the sole and arbitrary basis that those people are deemed wrong makes it impossible to differentiate between that and the state denying someone else's right to challenge an axiom that may not be right. When your argument boils down to, "Well, I'm right," you no longer have an argument against those who also claim to be right, like the people in the 1840s whose axiom was that blacks were property, or the people in the 1940s whose axiom was that all Japanese were the enemy, or the people today whose axiom is that homosexuality is an attack on American values. It is not enough to believe that most rational human beings can agree that your preferred axiom is correct, because at one time or another that has been true of all flawed orthodoxies. Closing yourself off to the viewpoint that people shouldn't be slaves was, at one point, a pretty good idea, overall. The only reason it did not remain that way was that people were allowed to disagree, loudly at times, with that "pretty good idea."

Curtailing free speech to remove bad ideas from society is like killing off your immune system in order to cure yourself of a disease.

Except that we curtail free speech all the time to remove bad ideas from society. Are laws against fraud, libel and slander based on "reason" and not "arbitrary gut certainty"?

What? Yes. We have volumes of jurisprudence on how you decide whether fraud and libel/slander are actually harmful or not. Nobody says, "This guy said Lord Haversham is secretly gay, but that's just obviously false, says my gut, so it was definitely slander." These things are decided on the basis of factual evidence--did it cause provable, tangible harm? Were the claims provably, intentionally inaccurate?

Let me be clear: fraud, libel and slander are not ideas, good or bad, that we remove from society. They are actions involving falsehoods which cause specific, provable, tangible harms. It doesn't matter whether the fraud is within the orthodoxy or not; we would prosecute equally a person who ran a fake charity to help gay teens and a person who ran a fake charity to help gay teens become straight. The criminal part is the word "fake" there.

----
    poshniallo wrote: »
    People are using the example of countries with hate speech laws and non-draconian repressive regimes as proof that these don't necessarily result in same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech#By_country

They probably aren't 'citing' because that isn't really appropriate, and they figure any educated adult knows that nations such as Australia, Belgium and Canada, to name some of the first ones there, are not terrible places to live with broken democracies.

So, hate speech laws don't destroy the fabric of your society. That's clear.

They may well have a subtle and long-term detrimental effect on one's nation. That's certainly possible from the evidence. Most of the hate speech laws listed were created in the last 50 years or so. Perhaps the negative effects haven't had time to appear, or perhaps they are happening and our popular idea of New Zealand, to choose a later example from the list, as a peaceful and slightly boring place with strong Green politics and a generally liberal outlook, is missing some evidence you wish to bring to everyone's attention.

We could have a debate about whether that subtle and long-term detriment would happen/has already happened if you like, instead of frothing about founding fathers and slippery slopes.

I don't think anyone in this thread, including my at my most hyperbolic, have suggested that hate speech laws destroy the fabric of your society, or will land us in 1984 (or worse, in that TV pilot that didn't get picked up yesterday about the dystopian future where love has been outlawed). Our argument is not "hate speech laws now, dogs and cats living together later." Instead, the general thrust of it seems to be that hate speech doesn't prevent harm, and sometimes does harm, and/or always could cause future harm, not to some nebulous concept of the nation but to actual people whose speech needs protecting.

No one arguing for hate speech laws seems willing or able to offer tangible evidence that those laws prevent harm, and so far the response to all of the given examples of people whose speech has been wrongfully criminalized is "works as designed," so I dunno what you want to discuss, exactly.
    Astaereth on
    I still have invites and discount codes for Moviepass! Pay $35 a month to see any movie you want in theaters. PM me if you want an invite and/or details.
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Continuing the proud tradition of everyone with a pats avatar being a goose of a poster.

(I have been conducting a scientific survey)

There are about 10 pages of backpatting, self congratulation from yourself. Not to mention goose comments like the one I posted that you were all about not too long ago.

So yeah um, kettle meet pot.

Sorry, we've decided that self-congratulatory back-slapping comments are only allowed when one side of the debate does them. When the other side does them, it's hate speech and therefore must be banned.
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    That's not what I said. You're discussing a hypothetical. In the hypothetical, laws are not used to criminalize hate speech; they're used to prevent it from existing in the first place, by taking away the means of speech entirely.

Do you not A) see the difference between the government putting someone in jail for something they said and the government shutting down someone's radio station for something they might say and B) that the latter is off-topic?

Except that laws that criminalize hate speech also shut down those methods of transmitting that hate speech. Which is why it's very much on topic, despite you pretending it's not.
    First off, at the level of free speech I'm advocating, those voices would be protected, not validated.
    Second, how exactly are you supposed to have an open discussion of an issue if the people who believe in one side of it are not allowed to profess their beliefs, under penalty of imprisonment?

You're validating those voices by saying they deserve to be part of an "open discussion".

The idea that to have a valid and open discussion of genocide you need to include the voices of those people who think that genocide is a great idea is not self-evident.
    I dunno, we seem to keep jumping back and forth. Anyway, I did answer your question: if your country chooses "genocide" over "not genocide" through free and open discussions with itself, having restricted discussions with itself instead is not going to solve that problem. (And do you think that people angry and crazy enough to want to murder people are going to care about a possible two-year jail sentence?) If a country has a major element within it calling for genocide, things have gone far enough that your next step is military intervention, not outlawing the speech.

Yes, just continue to ignore the person who was in Rwanda at the time who claimed that shutting down the anti-Tutsi radio stations would have had a positive impact on the level of violence.
    Except that we curtail free speech all the time to remove bad ideas from society. Are laws against fraud, libel and slander based on "reason" and not "arbitrary gut certainty"?

What? Yes. We have volumes of jurisprudence on how you decide whether fraud and libel/slander are actually harmful or not. Nobody says, "This guy said Lord Haversham is secretly gay, but that's just obviously false, says my gut, so it was definitely slander." These things are decided on the basis of factual evidence--did it cause provable, tangible harm? Were the claims provably, intentionally inaccurate?

Why can laws against hate speech, including incitement to violence and genocide, not be judged according to the same metric? Not to mention that the "provable, tangible harm" of libel or slander often involves things like "emotional distress", but somehow that is reasonable when discussing criminalizing one form of speech but not another?
    Let me be clear: fraud, libel and slander are not ideas, good or bad, that we remove from society. They are actions involving falsehoods which cause specific, provable, tangible harms. It doesn't matter whether the fraud is within the orthodoxy or not; we would prosecute equally a person who ran a fake charity to help gay teens and a person who ran a fake charity to help gay teens become straight. The criminal part is the word "fake" there.

So incitement to violence doesn't cause specific, provable, tangible harm? Should the Nuremberg Files website have been left online?
    steam_sig.png
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    What if a country defines hate speech as anything that questions the state religion? Sure hate speech laws are meant to protect the minority from the majority, but they rely on the majority to implement. Is it out of the realm of possibility that Egypt pass a hate speech law that silences the Coptic Christians? You're asking the oppressors to write laws to protect the oppressed.

• FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    So what about Britain's laws where the truth is not a defense against slander and libel? Is that still the law? Is that desirable?

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."
    edited May 2013
    What if a country defines hate speech as anything that questions the state religion? Sure hate speech laws are meant to protect the minority from the majority, but they rely on the majority to implement. Is it out of the realm of possibility that Egypt pass a hate speech law that silences the Coptic Christians? You're asking the oppressors to write laws to protect the oppressed.

How many theocracies really have any sort of free speech to begin with?

I can't think of any actual democracies where the public would want such a law. Even evangelicals in America don't seem to question that criticizing religions is a type of speech that is valid. They certainly engage in it constantly themselves.

-edit-

Of course, "kill all the jews/deport all the muslims" is so far from merely being critical of a religion that it requires Fox News levels of spin to be anything but vile and hateful spew. Religious criticism it is not.
    Regina Fong on
    @Lawndart

Who are you arguing with? I'm reading the section posted that your replying to and then your reply and the two are getting all oil and watery.

First, incitement to violence is already covered under just about any common sense free speech system. In the case of Rwanda you've got something much more sinister at play than the Rwandan Rush Limbaugh bleating on the radio: Nationalistic rage and war was in play. You seem to keep discounting this fact. The radio thing in Rwanda was a military weapon at this point, more akin to the Tokyo Roses we had in WWII. This is a whole 'nother bucket of cheese from what this thread was seemingly about. If you were going to talk about Rwandan hate mongering then its the years between war that are relevant.

Second, you say that hate speech regulations are there to prevent the transmission of hateful rhetoric and such. Just like marijuana laws are there to stop people from using them and copyright laws are there to stomp out pirating, the simple fact is that haters gon' hate and you trying to smother them out with laws does nothing but validate what they're doing in their eyes and, on top of that, you start giving credence to martyrs and heroes of the movement. Its happened before, numerous times, where the limits of free speech allowed someone to break out with shit so unbelievably beyond the norm that it was not only shocking but impossible to ignore.
    First, incitement to violence is already covered under just about any common sense free speech system. In the case of Rwanda you've got something much more sinister at play than the Rwandan Rush Limbaugh bleating on the radio: Nationalistic rage and war was in play. You seem to keep discounting this fact. The radio thing in Rwanda was a military weapon at this point, more akin to the Tokyo Roses we had in WWII. This is a whole 'nother bucket of cheese from what this thread was seemingly about. If you were going to talk about Rwandan hate mongering then its the years between war that are relevant.

Then the United States does not have a "common sense free speech system", since only imminent incitement to violence is usually considered unprotected speech.

Of course there are political and cultural elements that can make hate speech more (or less) influential, but then again, the context of the discussion was someone claiming that developing nations transitioning towards a more open political system should not use the European or Canadian model of free speech but the U.S. model. I was pointing out a real-world example of how, in situations where there's political and cultural tensions between ethnic groups, that embracing a civil libertarian view that hate speech should be protected since it contributes to the political debate can and has been misguided.

It's also worth noting that I don't consider Rush Limbaugh to be "hate speech", since he doesn't openly advocate for violence against individuals or groups based on their ethnicity, religion, sexuality, or cultural identification.

But if you'd like an example of hate speech in the U.S. that I don't think should be protected, I'll once again point to the Nuremberg Files, a website that posted tons of personal information about abortion doctors and celebrated when those abortion doctors were killed or injured. Do you think that such websites should be allowed to post such information and incite people to take violent action?
    Second, you say that hate speech regulations are there to prevent the transmission of hateful rhetoric and such. Just like marijuana laws are there to stop people from using them and copyright laws are there to stomp out pirating, the simple fact is that haters gon' hate and you trying to smother them out with laws does nothing but validate what they're doing in their eyes and, on top of that, you start giving credence to martyrs and heroes of the movement. Its happened before, numerous times, where the limits of free speech allowed someone to break out with shit so unbelievably beyond the norm that it was not only shocking but impossible to ignore.

This dynamic already exists among domestic hate groups, since even under the current U.S. view of free speech they consider themselves to be the victims of a massive governmental conspiracy to silence their opinions and exclude them from the political system. Claiming that moving (back) to considering non-imminent calls to violence against entire ethnic, social, or cultural groups to not be protected speech would somehow alienate them further doesn't hold water. Not to mention that the U.S. has already seen plenty of examples of domestic terrorism already from those hate groups, ranging from the OKC Federal Building bombing to anti-abortion violence.

Also, you're once again ignoring that the media has an influence on people. Blithely saying that "haters gon' hate" ignores how these viewpoints do not exist in a vacuum, and groups that espouse violence to not organize and communicate simply through the use of telepathy. The point of preventing the transmission of hateful rhetoric is not to stop individuals who already hold those views from continuing to hold them.

I also have no idea what that last sentence you wrote even means, so providing one of the numerous examples of whatever it is you're talking about might be helpful.
    steam_sig.png
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

How many theocracies really have any sort of free speech to begin with?

I can't think of any actual democracies where the public would want such a law. Even evangelicals in America don't seem to question that criticizing religions is a type of speech that is valid. They certainly engage in it constantly themselves.

-edit-

Of course, "kill all the jews/deport all the muslims" is so far from merely being critical of a religion that it requires Fox News levels of spin to be anything but vile and hateful spew. Religious criticism it is not.

My point was less about religion and more about the type of laws you're apt to get in the places we're talking about. Rwanda keeps coming up. It's my understanding that some of the anti-Tutsi speech was being broadcast from state run radio stations. It just seems unrealistic to expect the perpetrators to write laws to stop themselves from saying what they really want to say. I just don't think hate speech laws can even be considered until you have a vibrant and thriving democracy.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    Jebus314 wrote: »
    Legislating criminality tends to avoid the slippery slope.

Legislating morality on the other hand...

This is like a slipper slope fallacy squared.

Alternatively

Dot Dot Dot: For when you don't have an actual example to use

Oh right. I guess I should've known th-

http://current.com/technology/89398676_kids-who-photograph-themselves-naked-are-child-pornographers-and-sex-offenders.htm

Oh shit, where did that come from?

But hey, I'm sure that's the only time peoples lives have been destroyed by legislation. Oh, you mean to say sex offenders are living in what amounts to refugee camps in Florida because they can't find a job or a place to live?

Man, that would suck, eh? Good thing everyone thought this would never happen when they made the laws.

Slippery slope schmippery schmope, doesn't exist.

/looks at thread title

Nope, not the sex offender thread. I guess you are the one that posted in the wrong spot then.

You can't just ignore all the cases where legislation had unintended effects and was misused. In the face of several other types of legislation that has been misused I would say that it's up to you to prove that this type of legislation is significantly different.

Actually I can ignore unrelated cases of bad legislation. Because the alternative is saying "This law is bad, therefore all laws are bad".

The reason we don't do that is because we admit that not all other types of laws are applicable to the ones we are talking about now. In this case, this specific example is in no way applicable to the question of laws against hate speech. It's only being brought up to prop up a bad argument with no support.

Your can't claim that all analogies are worthless because you said so. You are making the claim that it is unlikely for a law restricting the sharing of ideas to be used inappropriately. I have given you a direct example of a law for restricting the sharing of materials that was used inappropriately. In fact several people have talked about different laws being used to restrict undesirable behavior (anti-piracy, underage sex, ect) that have had bad unintended consequences. You can't just keep saying that this is unrelated and a bad argument, you have to show it. Why is this a bad argument. I have given you several examples to illustrate why I think these types of laws lead to bad places, all you've done is claim that I'm wrong for reasons.

I don't have to show shit. You haven't shown why this example is at all applicable to the current situation. What do sex offender registries have to do with hate speech?

The answer is "nothing".

First, I found this oxford pdf that outlines the hate speech laws in several different counties and a little bit about how it is implemented. Definitely interesting.

Second, I don't really buy the whole "other countries have hate speech laws but aren't totalitarian hell holes, so we can too!" argument. Canada for example has already used their hate speech laws to ban religious people from handing out anti gay fliers and initial banned anti gay opinion pieces. While I absolutely detest the sentiment that these people were spreading, I also find it upsetting that canada is censoring their religious views. I should note that neither case involved any suggestions of violence or discrimination. They were simply religious people spreading their incorrect viewpoint that being homosexual is immoral.

Except this proves exactly the point you "don't buy".

The ottawa attorney general has also (albeit unsuccessfully), tried to bar eminem from performing in canada on the basis of their hate speech laws. While you can claim that is a success in terms of hate speech laws not being abused, the fact that high ranking officials think it was appropriate and are actively pushing for that use is in my mind very troublesome. All it takes is one judge to then agree with the attorney general and now you are censoring art that you don't agree with.

Stupid people think alot of things. See: The US House of Representatives
    And yet, nothing came of it because the AG was being stupid and the law was not on his side.

Both your examples prove the same point and it's not the one you are trying to make.

Really you don't have to look any further than anti-piracy laws in the US to see why writing even very targeted legislation almost always leads to suppression of competition/ideas that you didn't intend for. Link to consequences of DMCA. I have no idea how biased/falsified that link is, but it seems to bring up some pretty good examples of the DMCA law being used to suppress research/competition. The idea that you could create this magic hate speech law that will never be used to suppress legit view points that people disagree with just doesn't seem likely. Sure it wouldn't lead to immediate implementation of 1984 like government, but it will almost certainly be used eventually in a way that goes against the idea of freedom of ideas.

Right, so back to the slippery slope.

I don't understand your first point. It doesn't prove that hate speech laws are totally legit. I do not find those examples acceptable forms of censorship.

Yes, we know. But you haven't shown any actual harm or any reason why I should view the incidents in a bad light. Your whole argument was "I don't buy the argument that hate speech laws don't lead to tyranny so here's some examples from Canada of hate speech laws not leading to any sort of tyranny".

You find them unacceptable. I don't. And you haven't shown any reason why I should.

This isn't a stupid people say stupid things argument, because what the AG wanted wasn't explicitly against the law. It is literally up to select individuals to decide what is or isn't considered hate speech and in this case went with the argument that women are not a protected class, so not hate speech. Not once did I see a reference to anyone claiming that what the AG wanted was obviously not legal, which is what you often see when republicans espouse nonsense.

And nothing happened. No one banned anything.

Finally, your last argument is not refuting what I said. You're claiming that it's unlikely these laws will be misused and I have given you a direct example in contradiction of that idea. Either you think the example is inaccurate in some way, or you're wrong that this is just a "slippery slope" argument that will never come to pass.

Except you haven't shown an example of them being misused. In fact, you've shown an example of them being used properly and an example of someone trying to misuse them and it not working.

The canadian examples I posted are examples of people being refused their right to express their beliefs. I'm not sure what else there is to show here. The whole point is that the hate speech laws are not being limited to cases where there is a clear instance of preventing harm. It's being used to suppress ideas that those in power disagree with. As is shown by the examples. The fact that you don't care that bigoted religious fanatics are being censored doesn't have anything to do with my point. The reason you should care is because this sets a clear precedent. If your ideas are not inline with the majority, it's ok for the Canadian government to suppress them, even in the absence of any proof that they will have any negative affects at all.

Actually it's the entire point. They are expressing bigoted hateful ideas that are harmful to others. There is no gain to letting them speak. Even your own argument admits that.

What you are actually worried about is a chilling effect from the intended action of the law. The problem is, you haven't established that at all. If you feel telling those people to fuck off will have a chilling or unintended effect, maybe you shuld actually give an example. Since so far, all you've done is shown the laws working as intended.

The last point is exactly an example of DMCA being misused. The whole point of the article is to point out how it was severely twisted for business gains that had nothing to do with preventing piracy. This is a direct example of a law being used in ways not intended by its creation. If you are going to keep claiming that it's obvious that hate speech laws will never be misused, then explain to me why they are different then anti-piracy laws.

Why are they similar? It's not my job to establish your analogies for you.

I think your missing the point. Telling those people to fuck off is my example. What their saying is completely against everything I stand for, but suppressing someones views because I disagree is wrong. Just because modern governments have thus far only used these laws to suppress people I don't like doesn't somehow make those laws ok. I don't need to show an example of someone who's ideas we agree with being suppressed. Maybe no one who you agree with will ever have their idea's suppressed, bu that doesn't make it right for it to happen to someone you disagree with.

Except you haven't established why that is at all. I don't agree at all with what you are saying and you haven't shown any reason I shouldn't think that way. No harm is done in telling bigots they can't spread their bigotry. If this is your example, it's only one that proves one of the points of this thread: that this is only about a differing philosophical stance on speech and neither position is more harmful then the other.

And if "No speech should be suppressed, period" is your argument, then why do you keep trying to act like the problem is those laws being used inappropriately rather then just the very idea of those laws? You are waffling back and forth here between "the laws are bad because the very idea is bad" and "the laws are bad because it will be inapprorpiately used to suppress legitimate speech". And showing no example of either.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular

Example.

Example

To further clarify.
    ^Not a slippery slope.

^Is a slippery slope.

Nope, it is still not.

Yup, it is. because you haven't shown the existence of the slope. You have to show the chain that leads from A to B to C to D.
  • XrddXrdd Registered User regular

You didn't claim "this can happen". You made silly claims about inevitable outcomes of hate speech legislation, I pointed out that, no, that stuff didn't actually happen in countries that introduced hate speech legislation. Therefore, the stuff that you pretend is a necessary consequence of hate speech laws obviously isn't a necessary consequence of hate speech laws.

I would argue that it is incredibly unlikely to happen in an otherwise functional democracy, and absent an otherwise functional democracy, hate speech laws are probably the least of your worries. Also, you already rely on the "mercy" (stupid phrasing) of your leaders and the sensible behaviour of your fellow citizens every single day. Finally, I'm not actually in favor of hate speech legislation, I was just annoyed with your silly claims about the real world consequences of such legislation.

You're validating those voices by saying they deserve to be part of an "open discussion".

The idea that to have a valid and open discussion of genocide you need to include the voices of those people who think that genocide is a great idea is not self-evident.

No, I'm only arguing that you need to have an open discussion in order to have an open discussion. If we had a discussion on genocide and we both agreed that it's wrong, and nobody wanted to contradict us, great! I would love for society to get to a place where bigotry and hate do not exist, and in that society I would not argue that we needed a dissenting viewpoint to be invented. But dissenting viewpoints cannot be repressed by the majority opinion if the resulting conversation is to be considered open.

Moreover, I've argued upthread that if the government treats all speech equally regardless of content (as opposed to harm, since there was some trouble with the distinction earlier), it is in effect validating all viewpoints and none of them.

Take this out of the political realm for a moment and look at the way science deals with dissenting opinions. Rather than being repressed, when a scientist's claims run counter to the norm, they are given heightened scrutiny. If found true, they are celebrated; if found false, they are dismissed (specifically and not summarily--"This author's hypothesis has not been proven by this evidence, but may be proven if he ever finds better evidence in the future"). This has resulted in scientific orthodoxy being shattered and rewritten repeatedly throughout history. There's no way to say, "You claim that you have a perpetual motion machine, when obviously that's not the case, therefore we're not going to listen to you or allow you to publish the details of your claims" without also saying, "You claim that the universe is heliocentric, when obviously that's not the case, therefore we're not going to listen to you or allow you to publish the details of your claims." And even arguing against claims that do seem incontrovertibly to be false causes scientists not only to re-examine but to strengthen their own theories--the reason that evolution is probably the single most well-documented and proven theory in science is that constant dissent has required evolutionary scientists to understand and find evidence for every single piece of it.

Yes, just continue to ignore the person who was in Rwanda at the time who claimed that shutting down the anti-Tutsi radio stations would have had a positive impact on the level of violence.

I don't disagree with that person, but that's because the radio stations crossed the line from hate speech into incitement. I'm not enough of a lawyer to tell you when they crossed that line, but I can tell you they were past it by the time they were publishing lists of the names and addresses of targets.

Why can laws against hate speech, including incitement to violence and genocide, not be judged according to the same metric? Not to mention that the "provable, tangible harm" of libel or slander often involves things like "emotional distress", but somehow that is reasonable when discussing criminalizing one form of speech but not another?

I have yet to be convinced that hate speech results in specific, provable, tangible harm. Rwanda seems pretty argued out, do you have any better examples?

Libel and slander are almost always civil matters, with only a handful of cases prosecuted under criminal statues (which are only on the state level in America, in 17 states). I believe civil suits are sufficient to resolve libel and slander disputes. "Emotional distress" does not often apply to criminal cases outside of maybe using judicial latitude during sentencing, and a few crimes that specifically involve it (harassment).

So incitement to violence doesn't cause specific, provable, tangible harm? Should the Nuremberg Files website have been left online?

Do you honestly believe that hate speech laws in 1930s Germany would have prevented the Holocaust? There were a lot of laws against what Hitler did. He got into power and changed them.
    I still have invites and discount codes for Moviepass! Pay $35 a month to see any movie you want in theaters. PM me if you want an invite and/or details.

I have yet to be convinced that hate speech results in specific, provable, tangible harm. Rwanda seems pretty argued out, do you have any better examples?

Rwanda is still an example of how hate speech can create an environment where genocidal violence against a minority group can be considered normal and acceptable. Considering how you seem to think that the media has no real impact on society, I'm pretty sure that no other examples will strike you as valid, but how about examples of Klan intimidation through the use of calls to non-imminent yet targeted violence combined with public displays such as cross burnings? How about the example I've already given about the Nuremberg Files and anti-abortion terrorism?
    Libel and slander are almost always civil matters, with only a handful of cases prosecuted under criminal statues (which are only on the state level in America, in 17 states). I believe civil suits are sufficient to resolve libel and slander disputes. "Emotional distress" does not often apply to criminal cases outside of maybe using judicial latitude during sentencing, and a few crimes that specifically involve it (harassment).

So then "emotional distress" in only reasonable, provable, and tangible in civil, not criminal cases? That seems an arbitrary shift.
    Do you honestly believe that hate speech laws in 1930s Germany would have prevented the Holocaust? There were a lot of laws against what Hitler did. He got into power and changed them.

Citation needed.
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013

Rwanda is still an example of how hate speech can create an environment where genocidal violence against a minority group can be considered normal and acceptable. Considering how you seem to think that the media has no real impact on society, I'm pretty sure that no other examples will strike you as valid, but how about examples of Klan intimidation through the use of calls to non-imminent yet targeted violence combined with public displays such as cross burnings? How about the example I've already given about the Nuremberg Files and anti-abortion terrorism?

Sorry, I didn't realize the Nuremberg Files was an anti-abortion thing, not a Hitler thing.

I think both of your examples--actually, all three of your examples, including Rwanda--suffer from conflating hate speech with actual threats or incitement. The Nuremberg Files site was found in court to contain actual threats (posting names, pictures, and addresses of abortion doctors in the form of wanted posters--information that was later used to commit murders), a finding upheld by the Supreme Court. Likewise, the Klan's speech (at least without a more specific example of what "calls for non-imminent but targeted violence" look like) may be acceptable in a way that burning crosses on other people's lawns most certainly is not. So my answer to all of these is "half of this behavior is already criminalized, as it should be." I have yet to hear any argument that specifically discusses the impact of the non-criminalized hate speech in these examples.

So then "emotional distress" in only reasonable, provable, and tangible in civil, not criminal cases? That seems an arbitrary shift.

I admit that I'm not really educated enough to properly discuss the legal standards for "emotional distress" and why they might be applied in some cases but not others. I will say that just as a layman I have the impression that most cases involving emotional distress pair that with more tangible harm. Ie., "your slander lost me my job and therefore my income, and also I was upset."

Citation needed.

Well, Germany had laws against murder and laws against the sort of power that Hitler came to wield. He definitely changed the latter. After the Night of Long Knives, he had the Reich government pass a brief measure stating, "The measures taken on June 30, July 1 and 2 1934 in order to put down attacks of high treason shall be legal State self-defense." A description of Hitler's rise to power reads like a long and terrifying House of Cards fanfic--political posturing, systemic manipulation, blackmail, intimidation, etc. He learned after the Beer Putsch that revolution would only be successful if it happened within the mechanism of government.

I believe that someone as charismatic and determined as Hitler would have gotten started even without uttering hate speech, and that once he had power he would have changed or ignored the laws against it.
    Astaereth on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    But dissenting viewpoints cannot be repressed by the majority opinion if the resulting conversation is to be considered open.

This is not only gooseshit, it's the sort of Broderite nonsense that's gotten us into the political mess we have in the US.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    edited May 2013
    But dissenting viewpoints cannot be repressed by the majority opinion if the resulting conversation is to be considered open.

This is not only gooseshit, it's the sort of Broderite nonsense that's gotten us into the political mess we have in the US.

Man, I am completely fine with calling stupid shit stupid. There isn't two sides to every argument, and I am not calling for "Democrats, Republicans disagree on shape of Earth." That doesn't mean I want to throw people in jail for saying shit I think is stupid. By "repressed" I mean "thrown in jail."
    Astaereth on
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    When it comes to infringing on a fundamental right (and not just in the US constitutional sense), then yes I do believe that the onus of proof is on the people who wish to place restrictions on free speech. I don't think it's unreasonable to say "So have any of these laws had an impact? No? Then gtfo".

I'm open to the idea that Hate Speech laws have a positive impact on society, but I'd like to see proof first - and I've been more than willing to say "look, if you wanted to provide evidential support this is how you should do it." Hell, I've provided more links that could potentially advance your argument than you have. I'm just not willing to do your heavy lifting if you're going to sulk and focus on ethnic cleansing.

Ah, so the folks who claim that hate speech laws of any kind pose some "extreme danger" to civil liberties and political discourse can make those claims without citing even a single real-world example or even coherently defining what those dangers are using anything other but stale cliches, but when I cite a real-world example of how unrestricted hate speech contributed to real world genocide that's not enough because now only crime statistics count as actual proof. Oh, and that the media doesn't actually do anything to create or perpetuate people's opinions, since they spring full formed out of the ether and people could just ignore social and cultural influences at will if they really wanted to.

Shift those goalposts!

I am also still waiting for any of the folks advocating for "free speech" to bother to provide even the slightest rationale why other forms of "pure speech", such as libel, fraud, and slander, are worth restricting, if indeed they think they should be.

I think you will find that I never made that claim, and why should I offer a rationale for another topic? I think THAT would be an example of goalpost shifting. You showed that hate speech can lead to real world genocide BUT THIS IS NOT THE SAME THING as Hate Speech laws being beneficial to society.

With regard to this specific subthread, I would suggest stop being a goose. I am not @Astaerath and I would appreciate you not lumping his arguments in with mine. And you STILL have given fewer examples of the impact of Hate Speech laws than I have - and technically that's YOUR argument not mine.
  • HacksawHacksaw The "New Scum" Registered User regular
    "All these other countries have hate speech laws and it has protected its people and its better than the American system!"

"Cite?"

"Fuck you I don't have to cite anything. MASS GENOCIDE WHARRRGARBL"

This is funny, because I cited existing hate speech laws earlier in the thread. You must've glossed over them.
    MetroSig.png
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    "All these other countries have hate speech laws and it has protected its people and its better than the American system!"

"Cite?"

This is funny, because I cited existing hate speech laws earlier in the thread. You must've glossed over them.

I think you are missing what is to be cited - it's relatively easy to find out if other countries have hate speech laws, what's slightly less easy is to cite that "it has protected its people" and/or "its better than the American system".

What you have cited is that Europe has had relatively few incidents of people of people being successfully prosecuted for Hate Speech laws, which kinda supports the argument that governments may not go ker-RAZY with them (although, as @Tinwhiskers noted, there are still incidents of what could be considered overreach).

However, my understanding of the argument is "Hate speech encourages propagation of hateful actions. By restricting speech through hate speech laws, we reduce hateful actions".

I have no problems with that argument - there's no fundamental flaw with the logic. There's the potential chilling effect on speech other than hate speech, but other people have pursued that avenue in this thread. What I'm more interested in (and what @jungleroomx was referring to) is "Have hate speech laws protected people?" (with the corollary of "If hate speech laws haven't protected people, why should we accept these restrictions on free speech?") With specific reference to that, I (and I make no claim that other forum members have been doing the same) have been saying "if you want to demonstrate the impact of hate speech laws, here would be a good way to do so".

• Clown ShoesClown Shoes Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    So what about Britain's laws where the truth is not a defense against slander and libel? Is that still the law? Is that desirable?

Our libel laws are a clusterfuck - just ask Simon Singh.

On the other hand, we did ban Fred Phelps from entering the country. Personally, I like to think we did it just to piss them off.

"Cite?"

I must have glossed over how much safer they've made people too. Like how Patriot Act kept us safe since 2001.

"Cite?"

I must have glossed over how much safer they've made people too. Like how Patriot Act kept us safe since 2001.

wanker-1.gif
    MetroSig.png
    What I'm more interested in (and what @jungleroomx was referring to) is "Have hate speech laws protected people?" (with the corollary of "If hate speech laws haven't protected people, why should we accept these restrictions on free speech?") With specific reference to that, I (and I make no claim that other forum members have been doing the same) have been saying "if you want to demonstrate the impact of hate speech laws, here would be a good way to do so".

Jungle's not arguing in good faith because he's asking me to prove causation via correlation. As someone who's been on these here forums for longer than most, I can tell you right now that's pretty much impossible.
    MetroSig.png

"Cite?"

wanker-1.gif

So your position is they keep people safe but there's no fucking way to tell?

Guess I should just take your word on it, eh?
    What I'm more interested in (and what @jungleroomx was referring to) is "Have hate speech laws protected people?" (with the corollary of "If hate speech laws haven't protected people, why should we accept these restrictions on free speech?") With specific reference to that, I (and I make no claim that other forum members have been doing the same) have been saying "if you want to demonstrate the impact of hate speech laws, here would be a good way to do so".

Jungle's not arguing in good faith because he's asking me to prove causation via correlation. As someone who's been on these here forums for longer than most, I can tell you right now that's pretty much impossible.

You're arguing in favor on an ideology that "hate speech" should be limited without a solid definition of what hate speech is, but claiming it is solid and pretty much saying nobody will ever misuse it ever, despite the fact that the USA is fucking up and misusing the laws currently on the books and should be ashamed and dot dot dot.

Not good faith? I can't even tell what logical path you're following.
    edited May 2013

"Cite?"

wanker-1.gif

So your position is they keep people safe but there's no fucking way to tell?

Guess I should just take your word on it, eh?

See my above post. You're arguing in bad faith. You asked how they make people "safe" without defining what you mean by "safe". De-mystify your terms if you want to continue in earnest.
    Hacksaw on
    MetroSig.png
    You're arguing in favor on an ideology that "hate speech" should be limited without a solid definition of what hate speech is

I laid down a solid framework defining hate speech as it applies. In case you missed it:
    A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—
    (a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or
    (b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.
    MetroSig.png
    edited May 2013

It's true that correlation =/= causation, but establishing a comparison between an "experimental group" and some form of "control group" would be an excellent start. For example, Australia has had various hate speech laws implemented across its member states at various intervals - it should be possible to do a before/after comparison both intrastate and interstate and come up with a conclusion on the impact of crimes against minorities caused by hate speech laws. That would go a long way towards proving the argument "Hate speech laws protect people".

I am aware that the required data may not be publicly available, but this is not the only possible source of data and there are other potential comparisons that could be used instead. I would also hope that I'm not goosey enough to expect that the Hate Speech Debate TM will be resolved once and for all right here within these forums. "I don't know" is actually a reasonable response, with the corollary that maybe it shouldn't be claimed that Hate Speech laws have the desired effect of reducing harm if it can't be proven.
    Archangle on
    edited May 2013
    You're arguing in favor on an ideology that "hate speech" should be limited without a solid definition of what hate speech is

I laid down a solid framework defining hate speech as it applies. In case you missed it:
    A person who uses threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or displays any written material which is threatening, abusive or insulting, is guilty of an offence if—
    (a) he intends thereby to stir up racial hatred, or
    (b) having regard to all the circumstances racial hatred is likely to be stirred up thereby.

That's about as rock solid as soggy bread. So, abusive, as in what? People can be extremely touchy, take things out of context, and infer a racial hate mongerer where none exist (see Fox News). Apparently all it takes is for someone to get pissed and the other ones goin to jail.

Its also good to see that only race is protected.

Go look up the military laws regarding prejudicial misconduct. They're much more detailed but still incredibly porous when it comes to actual enforcement.
    jungleroomx on