Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Looney Tunes Thread (nsf56k because gifs are happening)

Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess?Its time for a new shtickRegistered User regular
Do you know what cartoon you should be watching?

El_show_de_los_looney_tunes.jpg

The Looney Tunes Show is seriously good. Its the latest cartoon using characters from the LT franchise, and re-imagines them as suburban-dwelling folk in the modern era. Its basically Seinfeld. But with Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, who are roommates now. I know that sounds weird but I promise you, it works.

The main cast consists of:

tumblr_mlrejlOi0b1qhansmo1_500.gif5sDJp6D.gif
qyf0ik2.giftumblr_mivs7kv1tA1qhansmo1_500.gif

(Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Lola Bunny, and Tina Russo)

Bugs is the straight man and less of a trickster than the Bugs from the classic shorts. Daffy is a completely terrible person but entertaining. Tina Russo is Daffy's aggressive, no-nonsense girlfriend, and Lola is Bug's girlfriend. She is also absolutely insane and such an upgrade from Space Jam. Some people are upset she's not sexy or a Strong Independent Woman anymore but she's actually funny now. She starts off as a stalker, but just like Bugs and Daffy you grow to love her very quickly.

. . . oh, and Porky Pig. No one is nice to Porky Pig
tumblr_mmbdkfqAxE1qhansmo1_400.gif

Other Looney Tunes characters make appearances, like Sylvester, Tweety, and Taz. Many of these side characters have been re-imagined in odd ways. Taz is Bugs' and Daffy's dog now and Gossamer is a little kid trapped in a monster's body. Its weird but if you can roll with it you'll enjoy the show a lot more. Bugs and Daffy aren't the same versions of themselves as in the classic shorts but a continuation of the characterization they started getting in the 1990s. Daffy is the same Daffy as Duck Dodgers Daffy if that helps. Its new and different but if you can roll with it you'll enjoy the show.

Here are Some Clips!

This is the best way to see if the show is for you or not. Watch Daffy rescue Bugs from an Albanian prison, Lola get pulled over by a cop, and all your worst fears about TimeWarner Cable representatives made manifest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYSd2SNfK4k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZJld1CvbrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhMuE3qaGcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zyTy4D277o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=struDvZ-xno

Merry Melodies
Merry Melodies are short musicals throughout the episodes. Most really aren't that good and I think I can confidently say to skip most of them. I am gonna post the best ones.

(THIS IS THE BEST ONE)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I
(SERIOUSLY WATCH IT BEFORE YOU MOVE ON)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puYJ0Ojp5cI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADdXDIQQgeA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_npKpGl0coc

You really dont need to watch any others. Some of them are just really bad.

SEASON 1 < SEASON 2

Season 1 has a lot of good episodes but as a whole it is uneven, which probably discouraged a lot of people from watching the show. Season 2 is consistently good and a marked upgrade and even redesigned the characters in an artstyle most people find more appealing. I wont go as far as some people in saying to skip it entirely, but I'll say if a season 1 ep ain't jiving with you, its alright to skip it and move one.

So which episodes should I start with?

The show has lots of callbacks and a loose sense of continuity so I'd try to watch the episodes in order if possible but here are some good ones to start with:

The Jailbird and Jailbunny
Bugs and Daffy go to prison. Daffy can't handle prison life while Bugs acclimates quickly. Season 1

Members Only
Bugs meets Lola for the first time, and she becomes clingy and creepy, fast. Season 1

Double Date
Lola stalks Daffy instead for an episode. Season 1

Rebel Without a Glove
Bugs undergoes a transformation when he switches his white gloves for a pair of biking gloves. Daffy becomes a professor trying to steer Thugs Bunny onto the right track. Season 2

Daffy Duck, Esquire
Daffy tries to impress Tina's father by pretending to be a lawyer. Season 2, clip posted above.

Customer Service
Bugs battles with a cruel cable customer service rep to get his cable back. Season 2, clip posted above.

Where to Watch it
You can catch new episodes Tuesdays at 8pm on Cartoon Network
Cartoon Network has 5 full episodes on their website
DVDs are available on Netflix (episodes aren't in order though)
All episodes are available on iTunes
OnDemand updates new episodes they day they air, TimeWarner has 5 right now

You can talk about Space Jam and Duck Dodgers and those weird 90s 'ghetto' airbrush Looney Tunes tees in here too (seriously does anyone else remember those?)

• HullisHullis I'm no more a spy than you are- A doctor.Registered User regular
    tumblr_m7xpvp6wtZ1qarcjno1_500.gif
    2wrn580.png
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    This show is really rewarding if you know the history behind the characters

Porky in particular
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? Registered User regular
    Alright, I was kinda thinkin' this wasn't going to speak to me and I'd be all "harrumph it is not like the classics"

But I laughed for about five minutes straight at Daffy and Bugs in an Albanian prison escape

Maybe this is alright
    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Chareth Cutestory Lawyer of the SeaRegistered User regular
    Thanks so much to Muse Among Men for showing me this

Got the first season on DVD (through purchasing volumes ugh) and it's fantastic so far

Let's talk about why releasing volumes rather than seasons is the worst business practice
    wRbeRNg.jpg
    You're a crook, Captain Hook, Judge, won't you throw the book at the pirate!
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular

You can talk about Space Jam and Duck Dodgers and those weird 90s 'ghetto' airbrush Looney Tunes tees in here too (seriously does anyone else remember those?)

Yes!

Me and a friend were just talking about that the other day. Trying to determine what was the catalyst of putting Bugs, Tweety and Taz into baggy pants and jerseys. Out of all the cartoons up until that point, I don't know how they went that route for awhile unless Compton was down with it way before hand.

I also don't really like Looney Tunes outside of Wile E. Coyote shorts and the world of tomorrow parodies and I guess those two gophers who were super polite to each other. Always thought they were mean spirited cartoons even as a kid. This new one seems interesting though if for the odd situations.
    steam_sig.png

Got the first season on DVD (through purchasing volumes ugh) and it's fantastic so far

Let's talk about why releasing volumes rather than seasons is the worst business practice

It's the fucking worst

This happened to Brave and the Bold for a while

They want to fuck over the parents buying all the DVDs for their kids as much as possible and simply do not consider their sizable manchild audience!
    7u0YG.gif
    Also the cast is Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Lola Bunny, and... Tina Russo?

I can't decide if that's really funny or not
    7u0YG.gif
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtickRegistered User regular
    I wonder who is 'in charge' of the DVD releases. Warner Brothers has released a lot of large collections of their old toons on DVD, WB seems to be giving the show good promotion while Cartoon Network seems to have this policy of releasing DVDs with a jumble of episodes.

If you are interested in seeing an episode that really tries to be a continuation of the classics watch 'Casa de Calma'. The episode is actually a pilot of a previous Looney Tunes show concept where the show would focus more on slapstick comedy. Its the most unique episode of the season, lots of slapstick, Bugs being a dick to Daffy, and Starlett Johansenn upskirt. It is pretty entertaining.
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous WALK 3X FASTER New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    This show really deserves more love.
    achar_zpse53d43a1-1_zps5cd88fc4.jpg
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: WaffleMous#1483
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtickRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    What it needs is more bishie yaois to get the tumblr crowd.

Yes!

Me and a friend were just talking about that the other day. Trying to determine what was the catalyst of putting Bugs, Tweety and Taz into baggy pants and jerseys. Out of all the cartoons up until that point, I don't know how they went that route for awhile unless Compton was down with it way before hand.

I also don't really like Looney Tunes outside of Wile E. Coyote shorts and the world of tomorrow parodies and I guess those two gophers who were super polite to each other. Always thought they were mean spirited cartoons even as a kid. This new one seems interesting though if for the odd situations.

I wasn't a huge fan as a kid either, I think the shorts are a lot funnier now as an adult. I agree the old toons were kind of mean spirited, it seems to be a trend of the times. Wile. E Coyote, Sylvester and Tweety, Tom and Jerry (though MGM) where one character would keep 'losing', repeatedly. Tom and Jerry is the worst offender, I hated Jerry so much as a kid and we would cheer when he lost. Fucking finally. Even Bugs and Daffy had this dynamic at points, and it wasn't as if the characters who kept losing were always deserving of it. Wile E. was hungry, and Tom was just doing his job. Daffy would lose even when he was otherwise portrayed sympathetically.

While the comedy of the show hinges on bad things happening to everyone, or at least inconveniencing them, no one really 'loses' for too long, and no one is enemies with each other. I earnestly enjoy seeing the characters be nice to each other. Even when they are terrible to each other, the cast is still ultimately comprised of people who are friends with each other so it never strikes me as being mean spirited in the manner Tom and Jerry would be.

Oh. . . . Except for Porky.

tumblr_mmbdkfqAxE1qhansmo1_400.gif

No one is nice to Porky. I'm actually ok with this.
    Muse Among Men on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    One of my favorite running gags in this show is how there is perpetually an old-school-style Sylvester and Tweety short going on in the periphery whenever you see inside granny's house
    Speed Racer on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    I always assumed that the urban looney tune merchandise was the result of some weird path of marketing logic that started at Space Jam
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I could not stand Tom and Jerry because Tom always lost, sometimes when he wasn't even trying to start shit with Jerry.
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Porky as portrayed in this show is pretty much Jerry from Parks and Rec
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Daffy as the Green Lantern was a modern masterpiece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVxcYHffS_w
    Sammy_11Feb2012-2.jpgSammy_bath2_Feb2012-1.jpg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Hunter wrote: »
    Daffy as the Green Lantern was a modern masterpiece

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVxcYHffS_w

The second best thing to come out of Duck Dodgers after this gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLLjslSRp4
    Radius on
  • FearghaillFearghaill TEAM NICKRegistered User regular
    Oh my god Muse

Daffy Duck The Wizard is pure Dio and it is amazing
    hawkeyesig.jpg
  • BeastehBeasteh RIP BIG CHRIZZLERegistered User regular
    the chuck jones looney tunes were by far the best
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular

Some of the old Wile E. Coyote sketches still make me laugh so hard I choke.
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    was always under the assumption this would be terrible but classic looney tunes and seinfeld are like my two favorite things so i'll give it a shot
    bugss2.jpg
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Registered User regular
    Mall Security
    Naphtalí SE++ WoW | Steam | B.net Tag: Naphtali#1830 | LoL: El Naphtali | Wish List
    Is that spanish?
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I like when Bugs and Daffy go to jail for littering in a national park.

Then the judge tells porky to put on some pants.
  • GoatmonGoatmon RAWR RAWR RAWRRegistered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »

It's the fucking worst

This happened to Brave and the Bold for a while

They want to fuck over the parents buying all the DVDs for their kids as much as possible and simply do not consider their sizable manchild audience!

I get why volumes are a thing but man they are such a waste.

As for this show, as someone who idolises the older cartoons, I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable this show is, although I haven't seen a lot of it. My only issue is that I don't like the CG in the Wile E Coyote shorts, but that's something I want to move past when I have the time to watch this show for real. Because the older Wile E Coyote stuff? Proooobably my favourite cartoon of all time.

(Sketchy video quality, but still amazing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hz65AOjabtM

Ahh, that was a good laugh.

God damn, those cartoons were quality.
    GeneralGuyandStiltGuys_zpsf382f684.jpg
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The only thing I'd disagree with about the op is that, while there may be a few episodes that aren't great, I think all are at least good. And some, even though they aren't comedy, are still awesome; like with Grandma busting Nazis in WW II. I do usually skip the Roadrunner part, but even there they have a couple of good ones, like their pastiche of ninja movies.
    No one is nice to Porky Pig. I'm actually ok with this.
    I'm less than ok with it in some cases, but it does have it's moments, like when Daffy thinks Porky
    is going to murder him. There's more to it, but even spoilered, that's as much as I'm sayin'.

I'm going to say that except for the original classics, this show is the best take on the Looney Tunes properties they've done.
    Binary Squid on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    I've seen a couple of episodes of this show. It's a mediocre sitcom. Sometimes the jokes hit, mostly they don't. It's King of Queens with some of the most beloved characters of all time.
    OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I've seen a couple of episodes of this show. It's a mediocre sitcom. Sometimes the jokes hit, mostly they don't. It's King of Queens with some of the most beloved characters of all time.

Yeah you definitely havent selen any of the good episodes then.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    One day I'll be old and wise enough to understand why people come into a thread specifically devoted to a thing they don't like expressly to shit on it.
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Oh my god Muse

Daffy Duck The Wizard is pure Dio and it is amazing

With a heavy helping of Heavy Metal for good measure.
  • crwthcrwth Registered User regular
    rebel without a glove is the best of all the episodes i've seen
    C6ALTav.jpg
  • SoaLSoaL Registered User regular
    One day I'll be old and wise enough to understand why people come into a thread specifically devoted to a thing they don't like expressly to shit on it.

let me know when you figure out why people talk about something in a thread about that something

cq6wVNU.gif
  • BeastehBeasteh RIP BIG CHRIZZLERegistered User regular
    yoiks

and

awayayawaaysydftyffu
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    it's just such a weird thing to do with looney tunes.
    OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • crwthcrwth Registered User regular

wrong

this is a weird thing to do with looney tunes

tumblr_lv3hpwPxsH1r4nv2so1_500.jpg
    C6ALTav.jpg
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular

It's almost looney, you might say.
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Htv1t6sUU

The best Warner Brothers cartoon ever
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM