Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

A Looney Tunes Thread (nsf56k because gifs are happening)

2»

• Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60Htv1t6sUU

The best Warner Brothers cartoon ever

That and the one where they do the parody of Der Ring des Nibelungen are up there to be sure. I wonder how many people hear that music and immediately think "Kill the Wabbit!".
    Binary Squid on
  • Binary SquidBinary Squid One step away from squid row. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Binary Squid on
  • BeastehBeasteh RIP BIG CHRIZZLERegistered User regular
    did they make yosemite sam more pc

ie. does he no longer shoot up everything with his guns
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtickRegistered User regular
    In the first season he does not have his guns. In the second season he gets his guns back, they explained the lack of guns in the first season as the government literally taking away his guns and guns rights for being irresponsible with his firearms. He asks his neighbors to sign a petition saying he is a responsible person so he can get his guns again, he gets them back since people are sympathetic to him being unable to shoot his way out of problems like he used to. Bugs and Daffy take Granny down to a shooting range and Lola skeet shoots as a hobby. I think the nazi episode flashbacks had guns too but it has been a while since I had seen it. There's also that clip in the OP where Daffy shoots a machine gun at some Albanian prison guards.

I'm glad to see guns back in cartoons.
  • SnowbeatSnowbeat Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.Registered User regular
    In the first season he does not have his guns. In the second season he gets his guns back, they explained the lack of guns in the first season as the government literally taking away his guns and guns rights for being irresponsible with his firearms. He asks his neighbors to sign a petition saying he is a responsible person so he can get his guns again, he gets them back since people are sympathetic to him being unable to shoot his way out of problems like he used to. Bugs and Daffy take Granny down to a shooting range and Lola skeet shoots as a hobby. I think the nazi episode flashbacks had guns too but it has been a while since I had seen it. There's also that clip in the OP where Daffy shoots a machine gun at some Albanian prison guards.

I'm glad to see guns back in cartoons.

what the hell is going on with kids' cartoons nowadays
  • Lost SalientLost Salient generally you don't see that kind of behavior in a major appliance Registered User regular
    I art bashful

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xdk7ww_a-witch-s-tangled-hare_shortfilms

I grew up with these and listening to my dad laugh at them makes me laugh still
    schielesig.jpg
    "Sandra's favourite movie is escape from new York because she cries when magpie and brain die because they will never be together." HAIL SATAN
  • simosimo Registered User regular
    porky in wackyland is probably my favorite

i also always loved the ones narrated by robert c. bruce

e.g. "a day at the zoo"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtblQQvT2Nk
    bugss2.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtickRegistered User regular

You can talk about Space Jam and Duck Dodgers and those weird 90s 'ghetto' airbrush Looney Tunes tees in here too (seriously does anyone else remember those?)

Yes!

Me and a friend were just talking about that the other day. Trying to determine what was the catalyst of putting Bugs, Tweety and Taz into baggy pants and jerseys. Out of all the cartoons up until that point, I don't know how they went that route for awhile unless Compton was down with it way before hand.
    I always assumed that the urban looney tune merchandise was the result of some weird path of marketing logic that started at Space Jam

gangsta-bugs-bunny.jpg

UGH. It was everywhere. I don't know if this was a big push from WB or who thought it was a good idea but apparently a lot of people did. If you went into a Spanish swap meet/flea market you would find a lot of custom airbrushed shirts and posters with this kind of imagery. So Compton was probably down with it, because that stuff sold.

on Space Jam? Is it really a bad movie? It was entertaining then and entertaining now, even if I enjoy now for different reasons. It really has that special oddness of 90s movies. Film-making got a lot less weird in the past decade.
  • AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    The original Loony Tunes cartoons reruns made a distinct impression on me as a child of the nineteen hundred and eighties.

I am not sure if I would have appreciated classical music as much if not for the Hungarian Rhapsody as performed by Bugs Bunny.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_nypfbZLQ

If that Daffy Duck 'The Wizard' Merry Melodies episode at least inspires a generation to appreciate the works of Dio, this current iteration has served its purpose.
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    where can I get caught up on the episodes of this new version?

I started watching mid first season, and then forgot to put it on my DVR when I moved
  • YukiraYukira Fuck with Aria? No.Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    it's just such a weird thing to do with looney tunes.

wrong

this is a weird thing to do with looney tunes

tumblr_lv3hpwPxsH1r4nv2so1_500.jpg

oh hey, mega man x bosses.

Needs bigger feet.
    2s8mg4g.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    on Space Jam? Is it really a bad movie? It was entertaining then and entertaining now, even if I enjoy now for different reasons. It really has that special oddness of 90s movies. Film-making got a lot less weird in the past decade.

Have you actually watched it recently?

I have.

It really is a bad movie.
    Rock Band DLC | Gamertag: PrimusD | WLD - Thortar
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    i am assuming the logic went

"space jam did well, how do we use it to cater to a new demographic?" "black people like basketball right?" "what else do we imagine that black people like that we can associate looney tunes with?"
  • AntimatterAntimatter I remember touch I need something moreRegistered User regular
    the dan aykroid joke is still good, at the very least
    15Tpj.jpeg
    I have such nostalgia for Space Jam that I think my brain would hardwire me into enjoying it even if it actually was terrible on a rewatch

Maybe this explains it. I can't not enjoy the movie. It has Shaq. That's fucking hilarious.

@Joolander:
    There are currently 4 DVDs, available through Netflix too
    TimeWarner OnDemand has 5 episodes
    Cartoonnetwork.com has 5 full episodes
    All episodes are available on iTunes
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really need to watch this. I almost feel ashamed that I haven't seen much of it at all.

This is my thing, man.

Also, that Duck Dodgers cartoon was way, way better than it really had any right to be. Having a Tom Jones theme song was probably a big part of it.
    saunterblugget.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I do find it telling, that of all the villains in cartoons that follow the predator/prey format, the only one where I never sympathized with the predator after a while was Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

I think it's the card.

tumblr_ltubx5P14K1r1fygso1_500.png

Anyone with a card like this should never win.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    the dan aykroid joke is still good, at the very least

Everything Bill Murray does in the film is gold.

My friend hadn't seen it before, so it was great whenever he showed up. But the rest of the movie is just painful.
    Rock Band DLC | Gamertag: PrimusD | WLD - Thortar
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Rose, shut the hell up about my bedroom and save my game already!Registered User regular
    I always liked the cartoon where Wile E Coyote tried to eat Bugs
    I always liked the cartoon where Wile E Coyote tried to eat Bugs

Wait. What? Link please? Cartoon's name please?