Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Forum Dice Roller Testing & Development Extravaganza Thread?

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid, if you haven't seen it check out myth-weavers.com

They have an extremely comprehensive dice roller.
    camo_sig2.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    I wonder if this will work...

Geth roll 10d2147483647
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    /me rolls 10d2147483647 -> 1488084029,1366477223,2016296826,1718938426,58536997,1358462598,733465796,546124424,1968656614,1146972451 (sum:12402015384)
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    Geth roll "1d4294967295 1d999999999999"
  • GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Super Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    /me rolls 1d2147483647 -> 499889697 (sum:499889697), 1d2147483647 -> 1278372794 (sum:1278372794)
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Admit it, you were hoping it'd roll over to a negative sided die weren't you.
    edit: yep, looked at the actual, very specific size you chose. Now I just look silly.
    Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d6-1
    /me rolls 1d6(-1) -> 3 (sum:3)
  • HonkHonk Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d6+1
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d10+99999999999999999999999999999999
    /me rolls 1d10(+99999999999999999999999999999999) -> 2147483654 (sum:2147483654)
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Geth, which of these villain names is the coolest?
    1 - Wrathspite
    2 - President Rampage
    3 - Zandrathor
    4 - Colonel Disapproval
    5 - Hork
    6 - Aloysius McRotten
    7 - Hotflame Burnmost
    8 - The Duke of Ill-Tiding
    9 - Dave

Geth roll 1d9

It'd be cool if someday you could print the result if the list is formatted correctly.
    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
    /me rolls 1d9 -> 4 (sum:4)
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I was totally rooting for him! You're alright, Geth.
    3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504
    Nintendo Network ID: unclesporky
  • Erich ZahnErich Zahn Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    How feasible would it be for geth to roll Traveller characters?
    Erich Zahn on
  • InfidelInfidel It's not Infidel, it's INNNNNFIDELRegistered User regular
    Hrmmmm

Geth roll 1d20+5
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Phalla discussion and Secret Santas :: PhallAX 2013
    Critical Failures IRC! :: #CriticalFailures and #mafia on irc.slashnet.org
    /me rolls 1d20(+5) -> 8 (sum:8)
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    One problem I can see with this is that if the results aren't available to the person making the post then it's going to lead to a lot of multi-posting when there are result dependant decisions to make. Things like a combat in Arkham Horror involve a lot of dice, in a lot of separate rolls, and decisions on clue token usage and such. For example this post of mine, involving 6 different rolls, where pretty much all of them depended on the results of either the previous roll or the first roll. It's going to be a little unwieldy, or spammy, if the results of a roll are only available once a post is actually made.
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    Chrysis wrote: »
    One problem I can see with this is that if the results aren't available to the person making the post then it's going to lead to a lot of multi-posting when there are result dependant decisions to make. Things like a combat in Arkham Horror involve a lot of dice, in a lot of separate rolls, and decisions on clue token usage and such. For example this post of mine, involving 6 different rolls, where pretty much all of them depended on the results of either the previous roll or the first roll. It's going to be a little unwieldy, or spammy, if the results of a roll are only available once a post is actually made.

I think that for some use-cases an integrated post roller will be unwieldy, but making the integrated roller available won't preclude using off-site ones still.

It will have to come down to what you need, the convenience of the integrated should make it workable for many though.

Not sure if these is anything that could be done to support your kind of workflow? Not without making the rolling system a lot more explicit and robust to support editing and tracking manipulation (ala Mythweavers).
    Play D&D 4e? :: Check out Orokos and upload your Character Builder sheet! :: Orokos Dice Roller
    The PhalLounge :: Chat board for Phalla discussion and Secret Santas :: PhallAX 2013
    You could do it through some form of nested bbcode with conditionals, but that would be a lot of work and you'd have to account for all possiblities for each roll and what happens then
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Infidel wrote: »

I think that for some use-cases an integrated post roller will be unwieldy, but making the integrated roller available won't preclude using off-site ones still.

It will have to come down to what you need, the convenience of the integrated should make it workable for many though.

Not sure if these is anything that could be done to support your kind of workflow? Not without making the rolling system a lot more explicit and robust to support editing and tracking manipulation (ala Mythweavers).
    Arkham, and the way we play it here, seems like something best left off-site. Or at least out of thread, but I'm thinking that would defeat the point.

@Chrysis a hypothetical: if you could have Geth roll all that stuff in a catch-all "Dice rolls" or "[Thread] Rolls" PM thread, would that actually be any better than using Orokos? (Or whatever). I'm thinking not, since you'd lose the ability to link the receipt for the roll.

Edit: Alternatively, maybe create a [rolls] sister thread for AH/complex games as a workaround? You'd need Geth to id the roller to avoid confusion from race conditions, but then you've got transparency and you didn't have to flood the main thread.
    Then just write up the results in the narrative thread.

Just thinking out loud. Offsite still seems optimal for that type of complex rolling, apart from the bonus opportunities for creative profanity that a rolling thread would create.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
  • AegeriAegeri Registered User regular
    I am really excited to see this and it's yet another awesome thing Icyliquid is doing for us (so thanks for that, because you don't get nearly enough at times).

If this goes ahead and works well enough, I think this will be the final nail out of the coffin to get me putting on my storytelling hat for that Call of Cthulhu game I want to run. I have time, a computer capable of photoshop (huzzah) and a story worked out, so a PBP on this forum with an in built dice robot (no offense Geth) is perfect. It would save a ton of time.
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    @Chrysis a hypothetical: if you could have Geth roll all that stuff in a catch-all "Dice rolls" or "[Thread] Rolls" PM thread, would that actually be any better than using Orokos? (Or whatever). I'm thinking not, since you'd lose the ability to link the receipt for the roll.

Edit: Alternatively, maybe create a [rolls] sister thread for AH/complex games as a workaround? You'd need Geth to id the roller to avoid confusion from race conditions, but then you've got transparency and you didn't have to flood the main thread.

Just thinking out loud. Offsite still seems optimal for that type of complex rolling, apart from the bonus opportunities for creative profanity that a rolling thread would create.

Hypothetically a separate thread would, in terms of work-flow, be no different to off-site rolling. It would have the advantage of being more easily and immediately verifiable by the other players, not that I think dishonesty in rolling is a huge problem around here. The disadvantage would be from a modding perspective, in that having a separate thread whose sole purpose is contain dice rolls would potentially bloat up the forum with threads containing no discussion. Maybe if there was a sub-forum whose purpose was to contain all those dice-rolling threads under Critical Failures that would be a viable solution. Or pull the PbP threads out into a separate sub-forum so as not to drown actual discussions.
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
    /me rolls 1d20(+10) -> 13 (sum:13)
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic I've Done Worse Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Hypothetically a separate thread would, in terms of work-flow, be no different to off-site rolling. It would have the advantage of being more easily and immediately verifiable by the other players, not that I think dishonesty in rolling is a huge problem around here. The disadvantage would be from a modding perspective, in that having a separate thread whose sole purpose is contain dice rolls would potentially bloat up the forum with threads containing no discussion. Maybe if there was a sub-forum whose purpose was to contain all those dice-rolling threads under Critical Failures that would be a viable solution. Or pull the PbP threads out into a separate sub-forum so as not to drown actual discussions.

No idea how possible this is but if those threads simply didn't go to the top of the index page on new post it'd solve itself neatly. Players would bookmark the thread for when needed, it's there to go check if you want and it wouldn't bother anybody else.

Edit: Oh and I greatly disagree on the work-flow comment. Posting here in two threads takes much less time than entering a bunch of rolls offsite, hyperlinking them and posting it here. Really the hyperlinking is the greatly improved ease of use. I don't imagine there would be any need to link to specific posts for something like a PbP. I'd just say Geth roll 2d20 for Twin Strike in the dice thread and list out results in the game thread. Everybody already has a link to the roll thread.
    DevoutlyApathetic on
    "When you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. When you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Borderlands 2 PA Xbox Metatag - Bazillion Guns

No idea how possible this is but if those threads simply didn't go to the top of the index page on new post it'd solve itself neatly. Players would bookmark the thread for when needed, it's there to go check if you want and it wouldn't bother anybody else.

Edit: Oh and I greatly disagree on the work-flow comment. Posting here in two threads takes much less time than entering a bunch of rolls offsite, hyperlinking them and posting it here. Really the hyperlinking is the greatly improved ease of use. I don't imagine there would be any need to link to specific posts for something like a PbP. I'd just say Geth roll 2d20 for Twin Strike in the dice thread and list out results in the game thread. Everybody already has a link to the roll thread.
    If sinking the threads is an issue (Hub seems weird about it, but I recall hearing that's a specific issue with the 'comment' threads), maybe a hidden Dice subforum in CF? OP says "Geth make me a roll thread", Geth makes a threadUID+[Rolls] thread in the hidden forum (if it doesn't exist) and posts the link. Putting it in a separate forum might allow them to auto-purge the inactive threads to help keep it tight.
    Automata-Sg.png
    That sounds needlessly complex, much more so than implementing an actual roller. :lol:

The ideal solution seems to be: if you're doing a post with a lot of rolls and need to know the results while making it, do it using an offsite roller and link, exactly like everyone does fine now?

Making an "offsite roller but built-in" is kinda pointless imo, as soon as its not integrated into your post anymore it is not relevant because we already have non-integrated.
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I don't see why you couldn't just do a roll post and then do the actual post based on that roll?
    camo_sig2.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Ex-Bronco Kitteh Registered User regular
    It needs a way for people to label rolls if it's going to do more than one at once. Not that I'm accusing anyone, but sometimes people will try to take the best roll out of a group for their best attack.
    sig.gif
    People will describe what they're doing presumably in the post.

Which opens editing to abuse as I mentioned earlier, but you can just have a "don't edit posts, jerks" rule ala phalla.
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Beep Booper Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    edited May 2013
    Each unique invocation of Geth will be tagable.
    Something like:
    .Geth, roll 5d6 for Orcs throwing rocks
    .Geth roll 1d20 for Evade

or something. I don't know what you kids might use for descriptions but that syntax parsing is already built it.
    IcyLiquid on
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA, SolidSaints Tube admin
    edited May 2013

Which opens editing to abuse as I mentioned earlier, but you can just have a "don't edit posts, jerks" rule ala phalla.

As far as I'm aware there's no way to edit a post without leaving a stamp, so just discount a roll with a stamp on it. In a case where it's an important roll that they may have fudged you can ask a mod to look at the edit history. Or just call any roll with an edit on it a botch.
    Tube on
    If you'd like an anime thread, please PM me to discuss it. Include pics/video of your favorites.
    Tube wrote: »

As far as I'm aware there's no way to edit a post without leaving a stamp, so just discount a roll with a stamp on it. In a case where it's an important roll that they may have fudged you can ask a mod to look at the edit history. Or just call any roll with an edit on it a botch.

Yep, that is what I'm meaning. If you have an edit stamp on a vote in phalla for example we just ignore the vote.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular

If sinking the threads is an issue (Hub seems weird about it, but I recall hearing that's a specific issue with the 'comment' threads), maybe a hidden Dice subforum in CF? OP says "Geth make me a roll thread", Geth makes a threadUID+[Rolls] thread in the hidden forum (if it doesn't exist) and posts the link. Putting it in a separate forum might allow them to auto-purge the inactive threads to help keep it tight.

If you want to be really crazy, how about implementing the ability for threads to have subthreads? That way PbP games could have everything bundled together.
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose Registered User regular
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for initiative

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    DropBox invite link - get 250MB extra free.
    /me rolls 1d20(+5) -> 10 (sum:10)
    edited May 2013
    Does it leave a stamp if you ninja edit? I remember that being a thing.

Geth roll "1d20 1d20" for Good guy, Bad guy

Edit: So it does! Just doesn't show until refresh.
    ArbitraryDescriptor on
    Automata-Sg.png
    /me rolls 1d20 -> 4 (sum:4), 1d20 -> 15 (sum:15)
    /me rolls 1d20 -> 7 (sum:7), 1d20 -> 13 (sum:13)
    Does it leave a stamp if you ninja edit? I remember that being a thing.

Geth roll "1d20 1d20" for Good guy, Bad guy

Edit: So it does! Just doesn't show until refresh.

Ninja edits are no longer a thing, sadly