Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Philosopher Kings (God Save The Queen: Cultist/Templar Win)

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    /clap
    Also premium
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I propose:

That there should be enacted a goldenrod vote, in which the populace will choose someone who has previously been killed to be hypothesized back to life again. This vote must pass a super majority of 3/4 of the population in order to coordinate the massive debate efforts that would be required for such an act. This resurrection will bring the player back with unchanged win condition the day after a successful vote. Only one player may be selected each day. This player does not count towards majority population for the village on the night of their return for purposes of win condition calculation, although obviously once they are living again, they will.

I challenge @retaba to engage with me on this topic.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • GizzyGizzy <- girl MemphisRegistered User regular
    I just read the CF Phalla Main Rules thread and there isn't anything saying that ghost players do or don't keep their alignments. So, really, my argument is valid.

I died in the deadlands game, but was listed as a victor in the narration at the end.

8727254796_67927ca027_o.jpg
    Langly wrote: »
    I propose:

That there should be enacted a goldenrod vote, in which the populace will choose someone who has previously been killed to be hypothesized back to life again. This vote must pass a super majority of 3/4 of the population in order to coordinate the massive debate efforts that would be required for such an act. This resurrection will bring the player back with unchanged win condition the day after a successful vote. Only one player may be selected each day. This player does not count towards majority population for the village on the night of their return for purposes of win condition calculation, although obviously once they are living again, they will.

I challenge @retaba to engage with me on this topic.

Support
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I know it can be frustrating to see someone say things that might not be 100% factually correct, but please remember that here at Skybarrow, factual accuracy is not a prerequisite for winning a debate – justification is what’s important.

So maybe we don’t all need to jump on GG and can just let him have his debate. I’m sure his adversary will be happy to pick apart his argument.

Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Oh please, let them jump. A hearty debate isn't the same without a devil's advocate.
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus Well then, no time to lose. I'm the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off.Registered User regular
    Support: This unit has advocated for many devils, demons, lesser under-gods, thralls, liches, sith, and emperors. This unit would be pleased to continue the tradition.
    Declaration: You are hired, rust bucket.
    I wish more people supported arguments taking place as a rap battle - because I'd love to see an epic rap battle debate between Phyphor and Invictus
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I wish more people supported arguments taking place as a rap battle - because I'd love to see an epic rap battle debate between Phyphor and Invictus
    Propose this again and I will support it - yea, even over the resurrection of the dead.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
  • RetabaRetaba Rintaro Okabe Mad ScientistRegistered User regular
    I refuse to support that because, I can't rap battle. It would make it impossible for me.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    ObiFett, this game is probably the closest you are going to get to a Phalla University discussion of mechanics. Might want to make use of that.

So, Invictus or Phyphor should propose another rule while their debate is going on (challenging the other), so they can pick up on another subject tomorrow. I will probably support such a thing.
    Xbox Live: Pastalonius
  • RetabaRetaba Rintaro Okabe Mad ScientistRegistered User regular
    Langly, I think your debate falls under the impossible to beat standards. The mafia only had one kill last night and while there appears to be an SK, if he died it would make it impossible to win for the mafia.
    Retaba wrote: »
    Langly, I think your debate falls under the impossible to beat standards. The mafia only had one kill last night and while there appears to be an SK, if he died it would make it impossible to win for the mafia.

I think this slips in under making it difficult while still not being impossible. also I don't think the goldenrod kill is a single person, but I could be wrong about that.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    edited May 2013
    also just as a quick reference for people:

Betrayed! is the bel hazen kill, that was my dagger kill when I was the bel hazen Sk in the first INANTP game. That's the mafia in this game.

The excommunicated is probably a religious sect called the Dawn of something something, which is why I don't think that they are a serial killer. probably a small two person faction with a kill. It could be a single player though, possibly.
    Langly on
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus Well then, no time to lose. I'm the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off.Registered User regular
    I refuse to support that because, I can't rap battle. It would make it impossible for me.

Statement:
    It's just a bunch of rhymes
    Matched up well in time
    Keep a beat in your head
    Type as you want it read
    Use some fancy words
    To throw off the other nerds
    They call me the robot rap master
    If they don't they eat my blaster

Question:
    Do you see now how it works, meatbag?
    And I am against ghost players talking in the first place.

Since there isn't a debate color, I'm choosing Limegreen.

ATTACK:
    I'm against ghost players from talking because of one thing. THEY NO LONGER HAVE WIN CONDITIONS. They died, game over, they lost. There is nothing stopping them from going "Hey, Mrs. Mafia, since we were friends in that last game, and because of the lulz, here are the names of the specials!" While I know that it can be argued that this works both ways, right now the mafia have the advantage and this just gives them one more tool they can use. And as the village vig, I don't want there to be anymore tools for anyone else making my job that much harder. Petty and selfish? Maybe, but that's my option.

Well,

DEFENSE:

Allowing the ghost's to convey actual game information is very strong for the village.

Here's why:
    A. It prevents certain types of betrayals, and thus, mafia gambits
    B. It allows a confirmed villager to offer opinions on who is suspicious
    C. Ghosts can act as messengers and can help mash out theories

E. In addition, talking ghosts are fun, and give dead people something to do. Anything that increases fun is A OK in my book.

The first thing i will address is the notion that we lose our wincon on death.

It is a phalla standard that the if your team wins, you win, to the point where it would have to say otherwise in your wincon for it not to be true. It is actually pretty important rule, because it allows things like seers (and other specials, sometimes) to work through mouthpieces, and vanillagers to work as messengers between a special and someone that the special wants to hide their identity from, etc. If vanillagers lose when they die, then nobody would want to put their neck on the line. In fact, doing so would be against their wincon. there are also times when a vanillager wants to pretend that they are the seer/guard/vig to make the mafia use their kill on a vanilla instead of a special (with varying boldness). A dead villager still wants the village to win.

A
    When a player dies, usually all the information dies with them. This allows mafia players, for example, to pretend that they are a guard to a special and then murder them that night. If the special did not trust anyone enough to reveal the guard's identity then the mafia gets away with killing a special that thought they were guarding. If information is persistent, then the special would be able to accuse the guard (yeah, roleblocks are a thing, but that's not the point).This means that you can trust the specials a little bit more than in normal circumstances. As the village vig, and most likely candidate for a network head, i think you can see how this helps you directly.

B
    In normal communications, every time someone lays down a theory, the theory itself must be scrutinized on whether it comes from a villager or a mafia doing a frameup. With talking ghosts, the recipient already knows the alignment of the player communicating with them, so they can judge the theory on its own merits instead of wondering whether the theory itself is meant to mislead.

C
    Ghosts can act as messengers in ways outlined in part 0. They can also be used to help bounce theories back and forth between their daily contact and themselves. Sometimes it helps just to have someone to listen to your theory before you act on it, to correct any oversights.

Lastly, this will be fun for the ghost players. It isn't like there are any other phallas going on. Also: Remember how the ghost army housed the orcs at the fields of Pellenor (in the movie version)?

Going to continue to try:

The first time Geth either awesomes or agrees with a post, that player gets a kill that they can use instantly, in the middle of the day. If a player was guarded the previous night, they are still considered guarded for the purposes of this attack. I challenge Gizzy to prove otherwise (in rap battle form, if she prefers).

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    @phyphor I understand your last argument to have been an attack on my first argument, yes?
    it was my understanding that only challengers to the proposal can attack, attacks are used on the initial proposal.

right? I dunno.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    See? Geth wants to give us guns
    An Argument is a back and forth exchange between two posters. Two options are available: ATTACK, and DEFEND. If a player wishes to ATTACK, they must single out a point made in the favour of the change by the other player and reason against it. If a player wishes to DEFEND, they must create an argument either for or against the initial proposal.

phyphor can't attack against the change because he is in favor of the change. he can only defend his position against your attacks.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    I think I like it better if Geth just straight up kills some folks - not give them guns.
    Oh man, that would be hilarious. Probably bad for the village, but i love it thematically
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Here's how I understood the structure of the debates. @I needed a name to post. please understand this as a clarification question.

For each argument you make, you have two options. You can try to make points for your side by making a DEFENSE. DEFENSES are independent arguments that either the proposal is a bad idea or that the proposal is a good idea, depending on which side of the debate you're on. DEFENSES are the only arguments that get you points, and thereby give you forward progress in the debate.

Your second option is to take points away from your opponent through an ATTACK. ATTACKS are arguments that some DEFENSE of your opponent is flawed, and thereby does not or ought not (the difference is fluid in context) grant your opponent points. ATTACKS do not give you forward progress in the debate because they do not grant you points, but they do let you take points away from your opponent.
    If geth agrees with a post, the owner of the agreed upon post gets a one-use vig. If he awesomes it, the owner of the awesome'd post dies. If geth is "watching" a post, the owner of the watched post gets a one-use seer ability. Users cannot have more than one ability given to them this way at a time. I challenge @Gizzy to argue against me
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

I think this slips in under making it difficult while still not being impossible. also I don't think the goldenrod kill is a single person, but I could be wrong about that.

I think Retaba is right here. Let's assume there is only 1 standard mafia group kill, remaining kills are things that can be eliminated from the game. At some point in the game the goldenrod vote could make the mafia kill obsolete-making the game impossible. I'm guessing we can't make a rule that doesn't break the impossible to win rule now, but could down the road.

Then regardless of if it does or not-by allowing/not-allowing it forces the host to give the village information about how many kills are available and how they function.

Cool if it would work but probably game breaking.
    PSN SeGaTai
    If geth agrees with a post, the owner of the agreed upon post gets a one-use vig. If he awesomes it, the owner of the awesome'd post dies. If geth is "watching" a post, the owner of the watched post gets a one-use seer ability. Users cannot have more than one ability given to them this way at a time. I challenge @Gizzy to argue against me

Support

Statement:
    Matched up well in time
    Keep a beat in your head
    Type as you want it read
    Use some fancy words

Question:
    So you think that you’re a killer
    A big bad assassin droid?
    Fool, you’re naught but filler
    Irritating, like a hemorrhoid
    You failed your last mission
    So your Master had to ditch
    All your weapons went missin’
    And you needed oil, like a little bitch
    Your memory banks are scrambled
    Your targeting system, too
    I’d rather hear Jolee ramble
    Than listen to R2-boo-hoo (that’s you!)
    So pack up your rusty ass
    You clanking metal dolt
    And hand in your Hall Pass
    Before I fit you with a restraining bolt

Analysis: Verbal lock code accepted.
    Question: What is thy bidding, meatbag?
    ATTACK ATTACK!:

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Phalla, I would like to bring you back in time. Or forward, depending on how you look at it.

Time in Flux!

Why have I brought in an old game? What does that have to do with our current game and ghosts? Everything.

In this game, the lack of forethought and blind trust gave us great moments:

Such as Auralynx giving all the information he had to Jdarksun, who was mafia, just because they had the same power.

Or OL, the network head, masoning himself with Langly, a mafia memeber, and pretty much giving the mafia the game.

The village is too trusting with their information. And worst thing about this "Let the ghost talk" idea is that they will be talking in PMs with random players. They will be linked up to someone who is mafia, they will get bored since this is all they can do in this game now, and they will give out information that will benefit the mafia. Its going to happen. And because all of their talks are going to be in PMs, how are their theories really going to be hashed out? Someone who we don't know is mafia or not will have to act as their mouth piece, which really leads to that game were someone tells you a phase, you tell it to someone else, and you see how much it changed at the end. Leaving the dead dead means that we don't have any more lose ends that will undermined the village.

Also, just because it's fun for the ghost players doesn't mean its good for the village. Driving fast is fun but it isn't safe, so why do it? Because its stupid.

Statement:
    Matched up well in time
    Keep a beat in your head
    Type as you want it read
    Use some fancy words

Question:
    You clanking metal dolt

Crush my enemies, film them fleeing before you, and record the lamentations of their women.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim

Statement:
    Matched up well in time
    Keep a beat in your head
    Type as you want it read
    Use some fancy words

Question:
    You clanking metal dolt

Crush my enemies, film them fleeing before you, and record the lamentations of their women.

Diagnostic:
    Crushing servos are nominal.
    Internal recorders nominal.
    ERROR: Not all subjects have variable "women."
    (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore?
  • kimekime Queen of Blades I am the SwarmRegistered User regular
    GG: If your original point was for the sake of "honestly" debating your side of this debate, cool. But for realsies, just so you know, you should always assume that dead players keep their win condition. A host that designs a game without that needs some really good justification in my opinion

Statement:
    Matched up well in time
    Keep a beat in your head
    Type as you want it read
    Use some fancy words

Question:
    You clanking metal dolt

Diagnostic:
    Crushing servos are nominal.
    Internal recorders nominal.
    ERROR: Not all subjects have variable "women."
    (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)gnore?
    (I)
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    When you assume you make an ass out of u and me.
    Rebuttal: Do not include "me" in this debate, meatbag. Referring to this unit as a beast of burden or gluteal area fat deposit is uncalled for, and will be retaliated against.

Rebuttal: Do not include "me" in this debate, meatbag. Referring to this unit as a beast of burden or gluteal area fat deposit is uncalled for, and will be retaliated against.

What's this in my hand? Oh right, a blaster.

What's that in your excuse of a hand? Nothing.

What's this in my hand? Oh right, a blaster.

What's that in your excuse of a hand? Nothing.

Response: Did you not know that this unit has finger missiles?
    How quaint. Allow me to show you how they fire.

stock-photo-robot-hand-showing-middle-finger-98591414.jpg