Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Philosopher Kings (God Save The Queen: Cultist/Templar Win)

1161718192022»

• PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    You basically need to attack the defense and do a sneaky close post
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    You basically need to attack the defense and do a sneaky close post

You actually need to do this and have more bonuses to your stuff than they do; if you attack their defense to begin they'll just produce another, since they have nothing to attack.
    Well yes, you needed an inherent bonus you could get on your last post
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    Well that pretty much answers my question.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Okay, so while I wasn't alive long, I will say:

Phyphor and Invictus debating amused me.
    Glad to hear it. I put waaaay more effort into that than I probably should have.
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    That's why it was amusing.
    One question about the debates I do have for INANTP:

Why did you limit the dialectic to one exchange, a defense and an attack? Just purely pragmatic judging reasons? That decision made me pack as much into my defenses as I could, since attacking attacks wasn't in the structure, any responses to attacks must be in the original defense.
    I put effort into the first couple posts... and then work happened and it closed an hour after I got home so I stopped caring
  • I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    One question about the debates I do have for INANTP:

Why did you limit the dialectic to one exchange, a defense and an attack? Just purely pragmatic judging reasons? That decision made me pack as much into my defenses as I could, since attacking attacks wasn't in the structure, any responses to attacks must be in the original defense.

Two reasons:

One of the inspirations for the phalla was the aesthetic of a handheld RPG. While this was lost in many ways as the game was further designed, I wanted to keep it in the mini-game of debating. Thus debating got abstracted down to standard RPG actions of Attack, Defend, and Limit Break (Epiphany).

The second reason was that I hoped abstracting it down to a very simple give and take would make it easier for villagers to know both how well they were doing and how they should play the game. I wanted to avoid situations where people went "Oh I'm not good at debating, I don't want to play" by making the game debating have very little in common with actual debating. I don't feel this was communicated well though, as many people were very conservative about what they said in debates. You could have talked about moon people disapproving of the rule change if you wanted to.

I also definitely didn't want it to be a situation where every rule change just passed. I think the only way to "balance" a rule change game is to make it difficult to change the rules. Rule changes were meant to be a reward for the village playing the mini-game well and potentially co-ordinating with specials to help. Unfortunately day 2 the people arguing for change had no bonuses to receive, day 3 only one argument was village v village, and day 4, well. Extraordinarily favourable circumstances arose for a neutral.
    aX9Hboj.jpg
    Also as a quick and dirty comparison that I thought was interesting:

This mini had 10 player conversations (that I was invited to).

My last mini had 56, and I know that some took place that I was not involved in.

WE HAVE FINALLY KILLED THE SOFT NETWORK META
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • GizzyGizzy <- girl MemphisRegistered User regular
    "You could have talked about moon people disapproving of the rule change if you wanted to."

I fully planned on doing this ... Ahhhh why did I have to dieeee

Because my philosophy had to do with taking things back to the basics and resisting change I was going to come up with all these arguments about the evils of electricity and walking miles in the snow !
    8727254796_67927ca027_o.jpg
  • SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Registered User regular

My last mini had 56, and I know that some took place that I was not involved in.

At some point things may calm down for me and I'll make a triumphant return. When that happens, your inbox should be afraid.

VERY afraid...
  • premiumpremium Registered User regular

I had just come off getting murdered early in assurans main after busting my ass soft networking and it was a busy couple of days at work.
    Consider your inbox spared.
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    What the fuck happened to the proboards?

What the fuck kind of person makes a forum where you can't go to the next page without scrolling all the way up to the top?
    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    The navigation buttons stay at the top of the screen when i scroll down for me.
    Xbox Live: Pastalonius
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Good news is, i can now access proboards from my phone. Before the update it would always crash out.
    Xbox Live: Pastalonius
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    SLyM wrote: »
    What the fuck happened to the proboards?

What the fuck kind of person makes a forum where you can't go to the next page without scrolling all the way up to the top?
    A man with spiders in his soul, no doubt.

Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
    I can only presume proboards bought the license to "vBulletin, ten years ago" and was burning to use it.
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • GizzyGizzy <- girl MemphisRegistered User regular
    I am loving the new proboards - I can now access it from my phone without having to be connected to wifi. It's about time!
    8727254796_67927ca027_o.jpg
  • AuralynxAuralynx Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I am loving the new proboards - I can now access it from my phone without having to be connected to wifi. It's about time!

Yeah, they were pretty mobile-friendly except for the giant login screen for Assuran's, and I assume it's still running the same way.

I was assuming I'd be able to spectate this one a little longer, but what I did get to read through was pretty entertaining!
    Playing in:
    World's Largest Dungeon 4E as Torbera
    BSG Exodus Game 17 as Tom Zarek
    Twilight Imperium Game 7 as Muaat
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Why is the optimal strategy for the first arguer not to simply post a simple defense at xx:59?
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Why is the optimal strategy for the first arguer not to simply post a simple defense at xx:59?

Because INANTP posted in the OP that if you wait 10+ hours to post a defense, you forfeit first argument.
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting. It took me a few days to figure out what was going on, then the game was over.

At least 2 out of my 3 dunalist was mafia.
  • ObiFettObiFett Phalla Bounty Hunter Seeking ContractsRegistered User regular
    K, finally have some time to comment on this game.

I love the theme, loved the mechanics, and thought it was balanced. That said, I had hardly any time to be active and I was really sad about it. I had fun during the debate with TRV.

I did find the debate that went missing on day 3 a bit odd, but with GG dying and me being a guard, I didn't want to call too much attention to it else put a target on my back. I had no idea who was mafia this game. But considering the all-star mafia we were up against, its not too surprising.

I spent all of my time during my debate day writing arguments, so it kept me from actually analyzing the game's players' behavoir. I think the debate was fun idea but definitely hurt any village players for that reason.

The main problem with this game for me was that it took place after Invictus's games. I was kind of burnt out with rule change stuff, so I put the idea that we needed rule changes out of my mind and tried to win the traditional way. ( I should have actually analyzed stuff more, though). Turns out the traditional way is a little rusty for me because my mafiadar was really off this game. I had fun and will always remember the Invictus/Phyphor debate. That was insane.
    Phalla Bounty Board coming soon...
    Oh, and thanks for hosting INANTP. Your narrations were amazing as always. I mean, I am really jealous of your writing skill. Blows my mind every time you host.
    ObiFett wrote: »

I love the theme, loved the mechanics, and thought it was balanced. That said, I had hardly any time to be active and I was really sad about it. I had fun during the debate with TRV.

I did find the debate that went missing on day 3 a bit odd, but with GG dying and me being a guard, I didn't want to call too much attention to it else put a target on my back. I had no idea who was mafia this game. But considering the all-star mafia we were up against, its not too surprising.

I spent all of my time during my debate day writing arguments, so it kept me from actually analyzing the game's players' behavoir. I think the debate was fun idea but definitely hurt any village players for that reason.

The main problem with this game for me was that it took place after Invictus's games. I was kind of burnt out with rule change stuff, so I put the idea that we needed rule changes out of my mind and tried to win the traditional way. ( I should have actually analyzed stuff more, though). Turns out the traditional way is a little rusty for me because my mafiadar was really off this game. I had fun and will always remember the Invictus/Phyphor debate. That was insane.

I am coming to realize that anything that occupies attention is pro-mafia. I actually think, for example, the power that made people post cat pictures in my game would actually be a really powerful mafia ability, as the thread devolves into 'awwwww'.
  • AuralynxAuralynx Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

I am coming to realize that anything that occupies attention is pro-mafia. I actually think, for example, the power that made people post cat pictures in my game would actually be a really powerful mafia ability, as the thread devolves into 'awwwww'.

Yeah; I haven't been at this long, but I got the same impression from the cat images in that one and the Dungeon / Possessed one I lurked. Pretty much anything going on in the main thread that distracts works ultimately to the mafia's advantage, or someone with a proboard's.
    Playing in:
    World's Largest Dungeon 4E as Torbera
    BSG Exodus Game 17 as Tom Zarek
    Twilight Imperium Game 7 as Muaat
    Yup, either it acts as white noise to distort other players' analysis or it acts as interference to prevent a player from making analysis.