Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Philosopher Kings (God Save The Queen: Cultist/Templar Win)

• I needed a name to post.I needed a name to post. Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    SLyM wrote: »
    Also maybe it had something to do with the village having to change rules to win but the game lasted 4 days

The village hardly had to change rules to win. They had a guard, a seer, a vig. The mafia had no guards, and two kills. That is not absurd for a mini.
    I needed a name to post. on
    aX9Hboj.jpg
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Despair. Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Also maybe it had something to do with the village having to change rules to win but the game lasted 4 days

Minis should last 4-6-ish, so while on the lower end that's nothing really bad.
    I'm not sure if I agree. If I hadn't double-tapped anyone, my Epiphany could very well have ended the game there and then. Although then I might've just gotten voted out instead so...maybe?
    steam_sig.png
    Invictus wrote: »
    @The Anonymous I'm really sorry about that. I was being pretty aggressive in order to shove attention more on you rather than elsewhere.
    Nah, it's fine. You weren't the one being a dick about it, that was all me.
    steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades I am the SwarmRegistered User regular

I'm not sure if I agree. If I hadn't double-tapped anyone, my Epiphany could very well have ended the game there and then. Although then I might've just gotten voted out instead so...maybe?
    Well, normally you wouldn't get the chance to kill two people with your epiphany anyways, that was just luck

Well, normally you wouldn't get the chance to kill two people with your epiphany anyways, that was just luck
    Fair point, though you still have to consider the absolute worst case scenario in designing games.

Because more often than not, they end up coming true. :P
    steam_sig.png
    Hm. I don't see a mafia proboard link anywhere...
    steam_sig.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I can not believe no one asked where jdarksun and zombie Hero's debate went
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    Well, neither of us really wanted to bring that up...
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular

The village hardly had to change rules to win. They had a guard, a seer, a vig. The mafia had no guards, and two kills. That is not absurd for a mini.
    No, but there was also the red and goldenrod kills that spiced things up. When you add in the vote and Vig, there were as many as 6 kills a night in a game with 24 players. Is that a lot?

This was interesting. I hadn't played a Seer before, and I was pleased to hit Premium on Day 1. However I felt that I had a responsibility to maintain a low profile, which is why I was not super active.

Well done to the cult on the nth mafia victory in a row and the latest in a series of steamrolls.

Thank you to INANTP for hosting.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Hm. I don't see a mafia proboard link anywhere...

jdark, you might be the only one able to unlock them. You are the only one listed under 'moderator' for that forum.
    Xbox Live: Pastalonius
    I can't do it from a mobile device. Will unlock when I get to a desktop.
    jdarksun wrote: »

But that made you incredibly suspicious! You basically outed yourselves and no one cared!
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    While this was a high kill game, I don't think that's why the village lost.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
    But that made you incredibly suspicious! You basically outed yourselves and no one cared!
    Yup.
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    I might be getting confused with when that debate took place, but even if someone had picked up on the jdark/ZH thing, we at most could have hit one of them last night and still been defeated.

The village lost for the same reason they’ve lost every game for the last few months – apathy.

Ironically, as long as the village continues to lose, villagers will continue to not care. Which is too bad.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting, INANTP. Once again RL kind of prevented me from going in after the first day, but that day was a happy one.

Can someone give me the cliffs notes version of what the village was supposed to do with the debates (other than get good rule changes)?
    Well, if we’d been paying closer attention we might have noticed the mafia using one of their nefarious powers to mess with the debates.

But other than that, I think we were supposed to use them to try and get good rule changes.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    It was a soft method of finding mafia on top of everything else. Suggest awesome rules. See who supports them, and who doesn't. I didn't track that information for a reason, I didn't want an easy trail.

Then, when the debates came up, see what the results were. Check for tampering. Check to see if certain people routinely got picked, or died when they didn't get picked.

The only limitations were imagination and village activity.
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    It was a soft method of finding mafia on top of everything else. Suggest awesome rules. See who supports them, and who doesn't. I didn't track that information for a reason, I didn't want an easy trail.

Then, when the debates came up, see what the results were. Check for tampering. Check to see if certain people routinely got picked, or died when they didn't get picked.

Or in my case, having every non-village faction pile on me day 1. :p

I must be doing something right.

I might be getting confused with when that debate took place, but even if someone had picked up on the jdark/ZH thing, we at most could have hit one of them last night and still been defeated.

The village lost for the same reason they’ve lost every game for the last few months – apathy.

Ironically, as long as the village continues to lose, villagers will continue to not care. Which is too bad.
    Someone talk @Farangu into running another game. :P
    steam_sig.png

That’s good thinking. But with the game over so quickly, I wonder if there would have been enough time for the village to get anything useful out of that kind of analysis. I mean, I expect that by Day 3 some actionable patterns would have emerged, but by then it was too late.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    I think the mechanics of this game worked well, but that several of them would have been better served in a main (not that many people are signing up anyway), since they needed time to unfold. It took two days for a rule that won its debate on day 1 to be enacted, meaning that only day 1 and 2 would really have mattered, even had the game progressed one more day. The dead boards also would have benefited from more time, since as it stood they never got used.

The only other thing I can think that would have been helpful for people to track debates would have been an actual example debate, with how the debate was scored, put up in the day 0 narration. It seemed like people were a little slow in realizing exactly how the point structure worked in the abstract.
    PoQ0cUz.jpg
  • GizzyGizzy <- girl MemphisRegistered User regular
    I wish I hadn't died - I wanted to debate! And I noticed the jdark/ZH thing but since no ghostly communication rules passed wasn't able to point it out :(

I also noticed from death that Invictus had a lot of time to debate - but no time for vote analysis. Very fishy!
    8727254796_67927ca027_o.jpg
    GG got both Gizzy and Vertblah killed by making us think the seer was female.
    The Seer was female. Sima Xue is a lady.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    Well done, sir
    Oh yeah, I forgot, but thanks for running INANTP! Was fun :D
    edited May 2013
    I'd really like to see a sequel to this phalla. I think the mechanics deserve to see a second go round, once the phalla population is robust again.

Edit: There wasn't really much analysis going on the village side. Pretty much day 1 over there for 4 days in a row.
    Zombie Hero on
    edited May 2013
    Villager apathy has been a consistent problem for a while now. Was it Day 1 or 2 that more than half the players didn’t bother Supporting a debate?

I kept wanting to post vote records, but then I remembered that anyone who does analysis gets insta-gibbed by the mafia (I presume this is why Megafrost and jdark – among others – have drastically reduced the amount of vote analysis they do these days) and I figured it was more important to keep checking people out than make myself a target.

At least my mafiadar was working pretty well: I hit Premium immediately, then SLyM. Then I had ZH targeted briefly before ultimately Seering Phyphor (who died) at GG’s request. If the game had gone on I would have seered jdark last night (original target: Invictus).

And of course I didn’t need magic power to know that kime was evil ;)
    Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    Yeah, when no one else was supporting debates I didn't really feel a need to :P
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I'm glad that it was a mafia that tried to throw me to the vote and not actual villager analysis.
    PSN SeGaTai
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I'm glad that it was a mafia that tried to throw me to the vote and not actual villager analysis.

Just so you know, I'd have betrayed the mafia for your victory condition if it ever came down to that :D

Just so you know, I'd have betrayed the mafia for your victory condition if it ever came down to that :D

I was under the impression that SeGa could win with the mafia, and i was willing to try and line that up.

I was under the impression that SeGa could win with the mafia, and i was willing to try and line that up.

Yeah, I was under that impression too. But if it came down to me being the last mafia alive, and SeGa was about to win or already had, I totally was going to abandon you guys and go mad :P
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yea for awhile I was concerned that I couldn't just win with the mafia but once learning that the sun cult existed(after my death) I figured I could have. Not sure how many scenarios could have played out that would have had me not trying to side with the mafia. Kime counted as mad for my victory count so offering him to the village wouldn't have helped me out.
    PSN SeGaTai
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Thoughts on the debates:

it was always going to be very hard for any proposal to pass, because the person arguing for the proposal had the burden of proof (the other person won ties), but the person arguing against the proposal went first. That means that if the defender starts with a defense then just uses attacks, the person arguing for the proposal is always playing catch-up.

Note that what I've said is true even if the proposition side has philosophies and teacher's pets and the opposition does not.
    I’d be curious to know if that was a deliberate design choice, and if so how it fits with INANTP’s stated desire that people play to their Philosophies and Teacher’s Pets to win debates.

I think this was a really neat twist on the Battle concept and would like to see it again.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    Honestly, at the time I understood it to be a design choice made in order to make the debates an information-gathering mechanic instead of a proper rule-change mechanic, but with the added bonus of sometimes, under some circumstances, you get a rulechange!
    Also, of course, I hope this was clear but I enjoyed the fuck out of this game. Thanks, INANTP!