Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Mini-Phalla] of Brass: The Philosopher Kings (God Save The Queen: Cultist/Templar Win)

• kimekime Queen of Blades I am the SwarmRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    Deathspeaker seems obvious.

Savant?

Librarian?

Madman (who also happened to be mad)?
    Metal Gear?

I have never played Metal Gear, so I don't know what that is supposed to mean.
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Despair. Registered User regular
    Deathspeaker seems obvious.

Savant?

Librarian?

Madman (who also happened to be mad)?
    Metal Gear?

I have never played Metal Gear, so I don't know what that is supposed to mean.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSJVSNhqa-s
    steam_sig.png
  • blahmcblahblahmcblah Registered User regular
    Hello all, I have no idea what is going on. I'll be at work all day tomorrow, up until right before vote close. Will try to catch up on the thread so far before I go to sleep tonight.
    Hosting: Game 87 of Chaos in the Old World

Playing: Blah's Baby Bestiary in Dungeon Petz Game 1
    "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
  • LockeoutLockeout Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    So... only 16 left, no dead cultists, no debates won, and TRV's pointless proposal got through over something actually useful. Where was the village support?
  • kimekime Queen of Blades I am the SwarmRegistered User regular
    Lockeout wrote: »
    So... only 16 left, no dead cultists, no debates won, and TRV's pointless proposal got through over something actually useful. Where was the village support?

I've been assuming the purple kills are the mafia, so we hit one last night?

There may be two mafia groups though, purple and red? Basing this off the fact that the "Metaphors" are in a red color, so probably distinct from the purple group.
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I had a really good proposal that no one cared about.

Also can we re-propose proposals that didn't make it?
    Steam Starcraft SLeague of Legends
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Despair. Registered User regular
    Just propose the same thing, but word it differently.

They'll never suspect a thing.
    steam_sig.png
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Man, i lost by two points? I thought i was winning. Sorry, every ghost ever.

What can I say? I'm a master debater.

I've got nothing else, so let's just try this again--now with ghosts!
    I propose that each day the top two dodgerblue vote-getters are publicly seered, with the results posted in narration. Ghosts may participate in this vote as well. I challenge The Anonymous to argue against this proposal.

Also TheRoadVirus, even moreso than yesterday, for actually having a pointless proposal involving Geth make it to debate, instead of something useful to the village.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Totes not mafia, guys Oh shit, an awlRegistered User regular
    I propose that each day the top two dodgerblue vote-getters are publicly seered, with the results posted in narration. Ghosts may participate in this vote as well. I challenge The Anonymous to argue against this proposal.

Support.
    Currently Playing:
    Skyrim
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus Well then, no time to lose. I'm the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off.Registered User regular

Also TheRoadVirus, even moreso than yesterday, for actually having a pointless proposal involving Geth make it to debate, instead of something useful to the village.

Rebuttal: The funny thing is that the proposal itself is harmless. This one gives it no support. others playing the game had to do that.

Summary: Perhaps you should direct your ire at those who voted for it over whatever it was that you liked.
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    So, i have to argue against the goldenrod vote rule? No choice but to play devil's cultist's advocate here.

DEFEND:

I do not doubt that the spirit of this rule is good for the village. We know that the author is village, and we also know that a 3/4th majority is so high that it is impossible for the cultists to control.

There are a couple points of contention in regards to its execution, however.
    -the 3/4th vote is restrictively high. Once a decision has been made by the first few posters, the rest will have little choice to follow. This biases our choices towards the opinions of those early posters.

-With the absence of having a special to bring back, resurrection choice will be made based on favoritism and little else. I feel this would bias our results towards veterans, when we should be treating the newer players with the exact same amount of respect and inclusiveness.

Xbox Live: Pastalonius
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    Hello all, I have no idea what is going on. I'll be at work all day tomorrow, up until right before vote close. Will try to catch up on the thread so far before I go to sleep tonight.

This is like, mafia cover story #1.

Blahmcblah
    It's also replacement story #ever.

ObiFett

Because seriously, who deliberately votes for ties?

Seeing as this is the only proposal currently on the table for today, it's not unreasonable, and I'm about to leave and might not be back before vote close, Support

I propose that Special powers (i.e. Vig, Guard, Seer, ect) move to another person when the original person dies. I challenge TheRoadVirus to argue against this proposal.
  • TheRoadVirusTheRoadVirus Well then, no time to lose. I'm the Doctor. Do everything I tell you, don't ask stupid questions, and don't wander off.Registered User regular
    I propose that Special powers (i.e. Vig, Guard, Seer, ect) move to another person when the original person dies. I challenge TheRoadVirus to argue against this proposal.
    Statement: This unit registers its support for the above proposal
  • ObiFettObiFett Phalla Bounty Hunter Seeking ContractsRegistered User regular
    If geth agrees with a post, the owner of the agreed upon post gets a one-use vig. If he awesomes it, the owner of the awesome'd post dies. If geth is "watching" a post, the owner of the watched post gets a one-use seer ability. Users cannot have more than one ability given to them this way at a time. I challenge @Gizzy @ObiFett to argue against me

Defending my position opposing the above rule change (Because as I understand it, I can only attack a previously made argument, right?)

Geth can be controlled by mods. None of the current mods are signed up for this game. People who are not signed up for this game do not have to abide by the rules of the game. By letting geth influence our game, we are allowing people who have no stake in the game and are not governed by any rules to influence the outcome of our game. Phalla is only a game because of the rules followed by its players.

Therefore, by letting geth influence our game, we destroy this phalla.

Much like Hitler destroyed Europe in WWII.
    Phalla Bounty Board coming soon...
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    It's also replacement story #ever.

Honestly missed that you are a replacement.

blahmcblah

Support
  • KetBraKetBra shut up and jamRegistered User regular
    Replacement?!

ZH, obviously you're forgetting stever's law.
    yA895.png

support
    ObiFett wrote: »
    If geth agrees with a post, the owner of the agreed upon post gets a one-use vig. If he awesomes it, the owner of the awesome'd post dies. If geth is "watching" a post, the owner of the watched post gets a one-use seer ability. Users cannot have more than one ability given to them this way at a time. I challenge @Gizzy @ObiFett to argue against me

Defending my position opposing the above rule change (Because as I understand it, I can only attack a previously made argument, right?)

Geth can be controlled by mods. None of the current mods are signed up for this game. People who are not signed up for this game do not have to abide by the rules of the game. By letting geth influence our game, we are allowing people who have no stake in the game and are not governed by any rules to influence the outcome of our game. Phalla is only a game because of the rules followed by its players.

Therefore, by letting geth influence our game, we destroy this phalla.

Much like Hitler destroyed Europe in WWII.

Defense of previously stated rule change
    Observation: Phalla is a game of randomness, intrigue, fun, and adventure. While many play solely to win, many others find thrill in the unknown, much like this unit does. Does the meatbag this one is in contact with aim to destroy or aid? It is often unknown, and the excitement meatbags can feel in toeing the line is a driving force in the continued play of many.

Statement: Many "vanilla" roles leave meatbags with a lessened sense of involvement in the game. Without power output capacitors of their own, they lose interest and do not put forth much effort in helping their side "win." By having the chance to gain new power output capacitors of one's own, the meatbags will stay interested in the game more than they may have before.

Supposition: As there is no known operating pattern amongst organics regarding Geth, there is no way to know which unit's posts will be marked by the machine spirit. Much like a lottery, many units will become more active in the hopes of winning a gift from the machine spirit. More units active means more units participating and less being stricken by the inactivus protocol.

Declaration: The rule change routine is self-policing as well, as there is a .333333333333333333333 chance that the machine spirit will strike one down if a mark is placed on a post. While great fortune may be presented, a great downfall may also occur.

Summary: @ObiFett is in violation of galactic treaty 18rc29rf732j1:192, regarding Godwin's Law.
  • jdarksunjdarksun Scion of Chaos Registered User regular
    So, i have to argue against the goldenrod vote rule? No choice but to play devil's cultist's advocate here.

DEFEND:

I do not doubt that the spirit of this rule is good for the village. We know that the author is village, and we also know that a 3/4th majority is so high that it is impossible for the cultists to control.

-the 3/4th vote is restrictively high. Once a decision has been made by the first few posters, the rest will have little choice to follow. This biases our choices towards the opinions of those early posters.

-With the absence of having a special to bring back, resurrection choice will be made based on favoritism and little else. I feel this would bias our results towards veterans, when we should be treating the newer players with the exact same amount of respect and inclusiveness.
    ATTACK

-Your contention that a 3/4s majority is too high based on the phenomenon known as "sheeping" attacks the very foundation of Phalla itself; it asserts that there is no merit in the process of debate, which has been shown to be false time and time again in the nearly seven years this game has been played on these message boards. If there was no merit in the debate, the core mechanic of this play-by-post variant of Mafia could not exist. The attempt to swing opinion from one suspect to another continually provides evidence as to the nature of all participants, as it leaves a public trail of information that any player can follow. Hence the adage: A Silent Village is a Dead Village. When none seek to foster communication, the game's malcontents are allowed to more easily hide in the crowd.

-The social aspect of Phalla is a core component to the game play, and the concept of "popularity" rarely exists without merit. Those players that gain a good reputation most frequently earn it. Let us take Langly as an example: he can be brutal and uncompromising, unerringly devoted to his goal in a given game. Anyone who speaks with him runs the risk of becoming another of his casualties, betrayed and buried along his path to victory. But regardless of this, people continue to seek his counsel. Why? Because, for one, he's affable. He's nice to chat with. His tenacity also makes him an invaluable ally.

The very characteristics that make Langly excellent at this game have made him popular. In the face of such evidence, it is difficult to see ressurecting the favored as a negative to this proposal.
    Defense of previously stated rule change
    Observation: Phalla is a game of randomness, intrigue, fun, and adventure. While many play solely to win, many others find thrill in the unknown, much like this unit does. Does the meatbag this one is in contact with aim to destroy or aid? It is often unknown, and the excitement meatbags can feel in toeing the line is a driving force in the continued play of many.

Statement: Many "vanilla" roles leave meatbags with a lessened sense of involvement in the game. Without power output capacitors of their own, they lose interest and do not put forth much effort in helping their side "win." By having the chance to gain new power output capacitors of one's own, the meatbags will stay interested in the game more than they may have before.

Supposition: As there is no known operating pattern amongst organics regarding Geth, there is no way to know which unit's posts will be marked by the machine spirit. Much like a lottery, many units will become more active in the hopes of winning a gift from the machine spirit. More units active means more units participating and less being stricken by the inactivus protocol.

Declaration: The rule change routine is self-policing as well, as there is a .333333333333333333333 chance that the machine spirit will strike one down if a mark is placed on a post. While great fortune may be presented, a great downfall may also occur.

Summary: @ObiFett is in violation of galactic treaty 18rc29rf732j1:192, regarding Godwin's Law.

Attack of the above defense

Regarding your Observation, while its true that you specifically like random effects that supposedly add adventure and intrigue (although your statements failed to prove they add those effects), there are more references of players that dislike random effects in phalla. Phalla is all about reliability. This is because there are a limited number of days in which to infer results and analyze. The more random factors, the less a game is a phalla. And everyone signed up to play a phalla. Therefore, the fact that geth's effect on the game will be random actually reduces the fun of more players than it increases.

Regarding your Statement, while it could possibly increase activity among the playerbase, it is not guaranteed to increase it in such a way to actually improve analysis or ensure quality of posts. In fact, in order to increase the chances to win a lottery, it matters not how expensive the ticket it is but rather how many tickets you buy. It will work the same way in this game. The quality of a player's posts won't matter but instead just how many times they can hit the post button and buy a ticket to this phalla destroying lottery. See the Phalla Hunters phalla for an example where vanillagers had chances to increase their chance to win by buying limited "tickets" through posting specific words a limited number of times a day. Instead of using each of those posts as a chance for quality and quantity, they instead went for pure quantity and completely ignored any analysis in their "ticket" posts. So while your lottery will increase activity, will it increase it in such a way that is beneficial to the game? It will not. Instead it will add pointless "ticket" posts with no content that actually drowns out the useful analysis done by other villagers.
    edited May 2013
    You can win in a knife vs. gun fight as long as you are 16 feet or closer from the gunmen and he has to draw from a belt holster. True shit, bro.
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    You can win in a knife vs. gun fight as long as you are 16 feet or closer from the gunmen and he has to draw from a belt holster. True shit, bro.

I bet this depends heavily on how fast the people involved are.
  • InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    A note for debaters: attacking attacks is not a legitimate move, as per the rules. Attacks can only target defenses, because what attacks do is stop a particular post from producing points. Since attacks do not produce points, attacks on attacks don't do anything.
    shhhhhhhhhhh
    Invictus wrote: »

I bet this depends heavily on how fast the people involved are.

Google "21 Foot Rule"

Its a thing
    Rebuttal: THIS ONE HAS NOT BEEN LOADED WITH DEBATE PROTOCOLS, MEATBAG
    edited May 2013
    @TheRoadVirus, the mad men are going to have to kill you if you are mafia because I can't kill you. You're too much fun.
    Grunt's Ghosts on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    FWIW, I'm still mad.
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Sorry guys, surprise bachelor party.

Grunt's Ghost
    Defense of this unit's argument
    Result: The game played by meatbags referred to as "Phalla" wherein they try to compute to the best of their ability the outlying agents of chaos in their midst is one that is, according to recent holodata, stagnating a bit. Calculations show that ship rosters are taking longer to fill. Inactivity is at an all time* high. Meatbags have grown indifferent to having the same baked product rations over and over again. (Caution, do not view holofeed at work)

Statement: This rule will provide new electrical input to the game capacitors, greatly increasing output and processing done. Multitudes will enjoy the scenario. The machine spirit will reach (possibly into) the hearts of many, and bring them its unerring judgement. Change is good approximately 71.27510285017519259127590% of the time. @ObiFett deliberately invokes the name of the dead German to invoke fear. I need only my autolaser. Comply with the new ruling or be dissassembled.

* All time refers to the beginning and ending of observation periods by the unit making this posting, as best suited to help its argument
    Observation: Invictus stands in the way of change.
    Conclusion: He shall be disassembled
    I'm having a little trouble coming up with a counter argument. I know that i give my side a legitimate defense or suffer penalties, but i
    jdarksun wrote: »

DEFEND:

ATTACK

-Your contention that a 3/4s majority is too high based on the phenomenon known as "sheeping" attacks the very foundation of Phalla itself; it asserts that there is no merit in the process of debate, which has been shown to be false time and time again in the nearly seven years this game has been played on these message boards. If there was no merit in the debate, the core mechanic of this play-by-post variant of Mafia could not exist. The attempt to swing opinion from one suspect to another continually provides evidence as to the nature of all participants, as it leaves a public trail of information that any player can follow. Hence the adage: A Silent Village is a Dead Village. When none seek to foster communication, the game's malcontents are allowed to more easily hide in the crowd.

-The social aspect of Phalla is a core component to the game play, and the concept of "popularity" rarely exists without merit. Those players that gain a good reputation most frequently earn it. Let us take Langly as an example: he can be brutal and uncompromising, unerringly devoted to his goal in a given game. Anyone who speaks with him runs the risk of becoming another of his casualties, betrayed and buried along his path to victory. But regardless of this, people continue to seek his counsel. Why? Because, for one, he's affable. He's nice to chat with. His tenacity also makes him an invaluable ally.

The very characteristics that make Langly excellent at this game have made him popular. In the face of such evidence, it is difficult to see ressurecting the favored as a negative to this proposal.

DEFEND

A small additional point:
    -Too many votes can contribute to information overload. We already have to worry about deeppink, darkcyan, red, limegreen, possibly dodgerblue, and so on...

Placeholder on The Anonymous