Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Hate Speech]: how America (and the world) deals with it

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Moreover, I'm saying that it's not only difficult, it's impossible to write a law that criminalizes speech in the way you want, and also doesn't open the door for criminalizing speech you do want.

The 1st is a bulwark. We can write laws that protect the individual from harmful harassment when they can demonstrate harm, but to write laws pre-emptively banning all instances of a certain kind of speech because we think it might, maybe, harm someone if they hear it?

That is a completely different thing.

And the unspoken "lol" part is "and speech can never be demonstrated to caused harm even when people who are cyber-bullied hang themselves so we can just continue with the status quo of 'say whatever the fuck you want whenever you want regardless of who gets hurt you can't prove anything lolz'.

I don't have a the answers to this problem, but piss on you for claiming there isn't a problem.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

Non-sequitur. You want to have a debate about appropriate limits on the freedom of religion, you're gonna need to make another thread.

In the US that is covered under freedom of expression as well as freedom of religion. But once again we no true scottsman our way away from European countries that have banned minority political parties, prosecuted people for "Scientology is a Cult" signs, and is restricting minorities expression, because....
    Spool, your interpretation of the pro-choice lobby as hate-mongers requires demagoguery.

It is not difficult to write laws that don't criminalize speech which requires 2 full Fox News cycles worth of spin to be transformed into hate-speech.

WOOOSH again.

Hate speech has no inherent meaning. It's definition would be set by the legislative body that drafted the laws.

And if the legislative body is composed of idiots then I submit that poorly written hate speech laws are only one of very many worries you should have.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Moreover, I'm saying that it's not only difficult, it's impossible to write a law that criminalizes speech in the way you want, and also doesn't open the door for criminalizing speech you do want.

The 1st is a bulwark. We can write laws that protect the individual from harmful harassment when they can demonstrate harm, but to write laws pre-emptively banning all instances of a certain kind of speech because we think it might, maybe, harm someone if they hear it?

And the unspoken "lol" part is "and speech can never be demonstrated to caused harm even when people who are cyber-bullied hang themselves so we can just continue with the status quo of 'say whatever the fuck you want whenever you want regardless of who gets hurt you can't prove anything lolz'.

I don't have a the answers to this problem, but piss on you for claiming there isn't a problem.

Well firstly sometimes you can prove harm, and we already restrict speech where there is a clear line. We just don't pre-preemptively ban the entire class of speech. We don't ban all bare tits because of Hustler, and we don't ban all homophobic speech because of Shepard.

But more importantly: I'm not claiming there is no problem.

I'm saying that speech codes are not the solution - they are a new, different problem that will harm people while fixing nothing.

The solution is to counter bad speech with good. Stop looking to the government to solve this - it can't do so without breaking the 1st Amendment. Use your speech, and I'll join with you, and hopefully we can continue to turn the tide without also divesting ourselves of critical freedoms in the process.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Spool, your interpretation of the pro-choice lobby as hate-mongers requires demagoguery.

It is not difficult to write laws that don't criminalize speech which requires 2 full Fox News cycles worth of spin to be transformed into hate-speech.

WOOOSH again.

Hate speech has no inherent meaning. It's definition would be set by the legislative body that drafted the laws.

And if the legislative body is composed of idiots then I submit that poorly written hate speech laws are only one of very many worries you should have.

Don't conflate idiocy with bigotry.

e:
    cause once again:
    THE LEGISLATURE FINDS AND DECLARES THAT PUBLIC SCHOOL PUPILS SHOULD BE TAUGHT TO TREAT AND VALUE EACH OTHER AS INDIVIDUALS AND NOT BE TAUGHT TO RESENT OR HATE OTHER RACES OR CLASSES OF PEOPLE…

A SCHOOL DISTRICT OR CHARTER SCHOOL IN THIS STATE SHALL NOT INCLUDE IN ITS PROGRAM OF INSTRUCTION ANY COURSES OR CLASSES THAT INCLUDE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:

1. PROMOTE THE OVERTHROW OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

2. PROMOTE RESENTMENT TOWARD A RACE OR CLASS OF PEOPLE.

3. ARE DESIGNED PRIMARILY FOR PUPILS OF A PARTICULAR ETHNIC GROUP.

4. ADVOCATE ETHNIC SOLIDARITY INSTEAD OF THE TREATMENT OF PUPILS AS INDIVIDUALS.

+ 70 pages of blah blah

to torpedo 1 Hispanic history class.
    tinwhiskers on

WOOOSH again.

You're just not grasping this. It's not about the quality of the law at any given point - it's about giving the authority to the Congress to start trying. Poorly written hatespeech laws are one of very many spech-related worries we should have, and thank goodness somebody thought of that a couple hundred years ago and fixed most of them with the 1st Amendment.
    Successful Kickstarter get! Drop by Bare Mettle Entertainment if you'd like to see what we're making.
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Question for the folks advocating for an anti-hate speech law:

Is there an example of a well-written law in another country that would satisfy you? Or has someone already named it?

It'd be nice to talk about something concrete here.

... No one?

I feel like if you're here advocating for a no-hate-speech law, and you cite Europe as an example, then you really should cite a specific law...
  • MarkGoodhartMarkGoodhart Registered User regular
    Question to the masses.

Would nonphysical bullying not based on race, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity or other protected categories considered hate speech? Should it be?

Would calling someone an epitaph of a group that they don't actually belong to (calling a cheap atheist a 'jew' for example) fall under the umbrella?

These are some of the clarifications I would like to see in hate speech legislation.

WOOOSH again.

You're just not grasping this. It's not about the quality of the law at any given point - it's about giving the authority to the Congress to start trying. Poorly written hatespeech laws are one of very many spech-related worries we should have, and thank goodness somebody thought of that a couple hundred years ago and fixed most of them with the 1st Amendment.

This leads us right back to the very beginning of the thread.

Why is it that countries that aren't the U.S. don't descend into 1984 levels of speech restriction?

Even the few examples of lack-of-1st gone awry that have been presented fall short of this totalitarian hellhole which the 1st amendment is, ostensibly, the sole barrier holding us back from falling into.

Headscarf ban in France? Rooted in French xenophobia. The 1st amendment hasn't stopped the U.S. from having to confront bad laws dealing with our immigrants. These issues will find a way to express themselves as long as they exist.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe Registered User regular

Is there an example of a well-written law in another country that would satisfy you? Or has someone already named it?

... No one?

I feel like if you're here advocating for a no-hate-speech law, and you cite Europe as an example, then you really should cite a specific law...

The UK's Public Order Act of 1986 has good examples of both well and poorly-written hate speech legislation. The catchall provision of Section V has caused a lot of controversy and there's a big campaign in England to change it. However, the more specific portions, such as the racial hatred provisions of Section III, don't seem to have caused much controversy since they were enacted.
    Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe Registered User regular

WOOOSH again.

Why do you trust the judicial branch to manage the exceptions to the free speech clause that currently exist more than the theoretical ones proposed in this thread?
    Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
  • AbsalonAbsalon Registered User regular
    Sweden has more limitations on speech than the US, and last time I checked our government is less prone to intruding on civil rights, moving the goalposts and overreach of power. Our population does not have a higher tendency to ruining people's careers, promoting self-censorship or otherwise limiting speech beyond the limitations placed by law, just because the existing speech laws "opened the floodgates" or whatever bullshit libertarian scary terms you want to use.

But yeah speech codes are BAD and NAUGHTY and also They Are not the Solution (instead, here are some ineffective and toothless suggestions, to show I am not just complaining and crossing my arms) and will Do More Harm than Good (TM).
    White boy issues ↑
  • GrouchGrouch Registered User regular

You can find the text of Canada's criminal law regarding hate propaganda here.

This is the meat of it:
    Public incitement of hatred

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of
    (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
    (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of
    (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

Defences

(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (2)
    (a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true;
    (b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;
    (c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or
    (d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

And if anyone is wondering, "identifiable group" is defined as "any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation."
    Grouch wrote: »
    Tinwhiskers gets it. This is a bulwark you cannot puncture for "god hates fags" without also allowing people to ban "a fetus is not a person".

Look, Malcom X's rhetoric is chock full to the brim with straight-up hatespeech, and his successor even moreso. We needed to protect it though, because to stop hatespeech is to allow all sorts of other speech prevented purely on content, with no specific harm shown to any person.

How come so many countries have hate speech laws but no discernible loss of free political speech?

Are you arguing American exceptionalism, or are you arguing that Canada and the E.U. don't have robust free political discourse?

You are arguing the slippery slope, and it's uncompelling.

And your analogy is crappy anyway. The nastier stuff that macolm x wrote is not what advanced the civil rights movement. And there's really no way to spin either pro or anti abortion advocacy as hate speech.

Now targeting specific women in the pro-choice movement and calling them filthy whores in every possible way the English language will let you do it might be hate speech, but it's also speech that doesn't advance either side of the argument and serves society in no way so I don't see how your argument follows.

I particularly do not get this "60 years ago gay marriage advocacy would be hate speech" because no, no there is no definition of hate speech which magically makes "everything I disagree with" hate speech.

Again, and for the last time:hate speech laws not unpopular speech laws.

If you can prove that hate speech laws produce unpopular speech laws that's great, but just banging the slippery slope drum is not compelling.

Also, dismissing the gay suicide problem as "a tragedy but" is almost inhuman. Shame on you. There is no value in harassing gay teens until they kill themselves, no one benefits from it in any way and trying to tie the freedom to inflict that kind of harm on people with the civil rights movement is offensive. But then, I gather that your intent was to be offensive, I just don't see how it serves your argument.

Why do you think the US with all its Anti-USSR hatred, redscare McCarthism, Cuban missile crisis, etc; never outlawed the communist party, but it was outlawed in many European countries? Or is banning political parties not a loss of political speech?

You seem to really be struggling with this. "Hate speech" has no inherit meaning. The law that bans it won't say "hate speech now illegal". You can't ban it via vocabulary(Fag, Spic, N****, etc). So it will say something like "Speech demeaning of a Ethnic/Religious/Gender/Orientation group is now illegal", and if you've lived through a Christmas season in the US, you know damn well the most persecuted group in the US is the White Christian(Hate Speech?).

Or how about "Speech condoning the ending of human life". No one likes murder or genocide, gets rid of encouraging people to kill themselves, looks good to me right?

"Speech demeaning of religious institutions, clergy, and ceremonies". That'd probably be enough to handle gay marriage marches. They are clearly demeaning of a religious ceremony. Or some idiots will have signs you can construe that way to shut the whole thing down.

Explain to me why you think this hasn't happened in European countries with hate speech laws.

Who says it isn't happening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering

See also: Hirsi Ali being forced to leave the Netherlands because they couldn't guarantee her safety, while those that conducted a campaign of hatespeech are free to live there. That's kind of a double play because the movie she starred in was accused of being hate speech and censored, and then the government declined to protect her from legit death threats (and failed to protect the director from actual death), leaving her no choice but to seek asylum in...

... the USA, where there are no speech codes.

When you say "the government declined to protect her from legit death threats", do you mean "the government spent millions of Euros to provide her with round-the-clock protection by armed security guards"?

http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2007/2/7/violence-is-inherent-in-islam-it-is-a-cult-of-death.html

And then rescinded it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2006/05/the_caged_virgin.html

I... no?
    But here is the grave and sad news. After being forced into hiding by fascist killers, Ayaan Hirsi Ali found that the Dutch government and people were slightly embarrassed to have such a prominent "Third World" spokeswoman in their midst. She was first kept as a virtual prisoner, which made it almost impossible for her to do her job as an elected representative. When she complained in the press, she was eventually found an apartment in a protected building. Then the other residents of the block filed suit and complained that her presence exposed them to risk. In spite of testimony from the Dutch police, who assured the court that the building was now one of the safest in all Holland, a court has upheld the demand from her neighbors and fellow citizens that she be evicted from her home. In these circumstances, she is considering resigning from parliament and perhaps leaving her adopted country altogether. This is not the only example that I know of a supposedly liberal society collaborating in its own destruction, but I hope at least that it will shame us all into making The Caged Virgin a best seller.

I suppose that a judge is part of the Dutch government, so you can kind of lay the decision to evict at the government's feet. But you can't lay the entire proceedings there, much less call that "rescinding" her protection.

Your Hitchens piece also contains this delightful note:
    She has had to live under police protection ever since, and when I saw her again last week in Washington, I had to notice that there were several lofty and burly Dutchmen acting in an unaffected but determined way somewhere off to the side.

Doesn't that suggest that when Hitch met Hirsi Ali, she was still being protected?

WOOOSH again.

Why do you trust the judicial branch to manage the exceptions to the free speech clause that currently exist more than the theoretical ones proposed in this thread?

I don't - they cock it up sometimes. That's part of why I don't want any further grey areas open to interpretation.
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular

This is the meat of it:

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

Defences

(b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;
    (c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or
    (d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

And if anyone is wondering, "identifiable group" is defined as "any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation."

Is there any further explanation about what "promote hatred" actually means?

I can kind of see that in 319.d, where it says, "matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group" -- can I assume that that's what they mean exactly?

Would this mean that, say, South Park's episode on the Church of Scientology would be illegal? How would we know?
    edited May 2013

This is the meat of it:

Defences

Tinwhiskers gets it. This is a bulwark you cannot puncture for "god hates fags" without also allowing people to ban "a fetus is not a person".

Look, Malcom X's rhetoric is chock full to the brim with straight-up hatespeech, and his successor even moreso. We needed to protect it though, because to stop hatespeech is to allow all sorts of other speech prevented purely on content, with no specific harm shown to any person.

How come so many countries have hate speech laws but no discernible loss of free political speech?

Are you arguing American exceptionalism, or are you arguing that Canada and the E.U. don't have robust free political discourse?

And your analogy is crappy anyway. The nastier stuff that macolm x wrote is not what advanced the civil rights movement. And there's really no way to spin either pro or anti abortion advocacy as hate speech.

Now targeting specific women in the pro-choice movement and calling them filthy whores in every possible way the English language will let you do it might be hate speech, but it's also speech that doesn't advance either side of the argument and serves society in no way so I don't see how your argument follows.

I particularly do not get this "60 years ago gay marriage advocacy would be hate speech" because no, no there is no definition of hate speech which magically makes "everything I disagree with" hate speech.

If you can prove that hate speech laws produce unpopular speech laws that's great, but just banging the slippery slope drum is not compelling.

Also, dismissing the gay suicide problem as "a tragedy but" is almost inhuman. Shame on you. There is no value in harassing gay teens until they kill themselves, no one benefits from it in any way and trying to tie the freedom to inflict that kind of harm on people with the civil rights movement is offensive. But then, I gather that your intent was to be offensive, I just don't see how it serves your argument.

Why do you think the US with all its Anti-USSR hatred, redscare McCarthism, Cuban missile crisis, etc; never outlawed the communist party, but it was outlawed in many European countries? Or is banning political parties not a loss of political speech?

You seem to really be struggling with this. "Hate speech" has no inherit meaning. The law that bans it won't say "hate speech now illegal". You can't ban it via vocabulary(Fag, Spic, N****, etc). So it will say something like "Speech demeaning of a Ethnic/Religious/Gender/Orientation group is now illegal", and if you've lived through a Christmas season in the US, you know damn well the most persecuted group in the US is the White Christian(Hate Speech?).

Or how about "Speech condoning the ending of human life". No one likes murder or genocide, gets rid of encouraging people to kill themselves, looks good to me right?

"Speech demeaning of religious institutions, clergy, and ceremonies". That'd probably be enough to handle gay marriage marches. They are clearly demeaning of a religious ceremony. Or some idiots will have signs you can construe that way to shut the whole thing down.

Explain to me why you think this hasn't happened in European countries with hate speech laws.

Who says it isn't happening. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_ban_on_face_covering

See also: Hirsi Ali being forced to leave the Netherlands because they couldn't guarantee her safety, while those that conducted a campaign of hatespeech are free to live there. That's kind of a double play because the movie she starred in was accused of being hate speech and censored, and then the government declined to protect her from legit death threats (and failed to protect the director from actual death), leaving her no choice but to seek asylum in...

When you say "the government declined to protect her from legit death threats", do you mean "the government spent millions of Euros to provide her with round-the-clock protection by armed security guards"?

http://www.islamophobia-watch.com/islamophobia-watch/2007/2/7/violence-is-inherent-in-islam-it-is-a-cult-of-death.html

And then rescinded it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2006/05/the_caged_virgin.html

I... no?
    But here is the grave and sad news. After being forced into hiding by fascist killers, Ayaan Hirsi Ali found that the Dutch government and people were slightly embarrassed to have such a prominent "Third World" spokeswoman in their midst. She was first kept as a virtual prisoner, which made it almost impossible for her to do her job as an elected representative. When she complained in the press, she was eventually found an apartment in a protected building. Then the other residents of the block filed suit and complained that her presence exposed them to risk. In spite of testimony from the Dutch police, who assured the court that the building was now one of the safest in all Holland, a court has upheld the demand from her neighbors and fellow citizens that she be evicted from her home. In these circumstances, she is considering resigning from parliament and perhaps leaving her adopted country altogether. This is not the only example that I know of a supposedly liberal society collaborating in its own destruction, but I hope at least that it will shame us all into making The Caged Virgin a best seller.

I suppose that a judge is part of the Dutch government, so you can kind of lay the decision to evict at the government's feet. But you can't lay the entire proceedings there, much less call that "rescinding" her protection.

She has had to live under police protection ever since, and when I saw her again last week in Washington, I had to notice that there were several lofty and burly Dutchmen acting in an unaffected but determined way somewhere off to the side.

Doesn't that suggest that when Hitch met Hirsi Ali, she was still being protected?

It does suggest that, but suggestions don't really mitigate how she was treated by the Dutch. She has since had her Dutch citizenship challenged (revoked, and reinstated by request of the parliament) and moved to the USA.
    spool32 on
    Question to the masses.

Would nonphysical bullying not based on race, gender, sexual orientation, sexual identity or other protected categories considered hate speech? Should it be?

That sounds more like harassment. Hate speech has to be about something bigger than just one person.
    Would calling someone an epitaph of a group that they don't actually belong to (calling a cheap atheist a 'jew' for example) fall under the umbrella?

Doubtful. Hate speech laws are not typically designed to prevent people from saying a couple of mean things every now and then. They're typically oriented more towards long, detailed screeds--your Protocols of the Elders of Zion and the like--that paint a particular group as subhuman, sinister, threatening, and otherwise deserving of fear and hatred.

WOOOSH again.

I don't - they cock it up sometimes. That's part of why I don't want any further grey areas open to interpretation.

Right.

The government can't be trusted so the solution is less government as opposed to a less shitty government.
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    I too am for good things that are good.

Down with the bad things I say.

This is the meat of it:

Defences

Is there any further explanation about what "promote hatred" actually means?

I can kind of see that in 319.d, where it says, "matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group" -- can I assume that that's what they mean exactly?

Would this mean that, say, South Park's episode on the Church of Scientology would be illegal? How would we know?

Maybe, if you replace instances of the word "hatred" with "laughter".

This is the meat of it:

Defences

And then rescinded it.

I... no?

It does suggest that, but suggestions don't really mitigate how she was treated by the Dutch. She has since had her Dutch citizenship challenged (revoked, and reinstated by request of the parliament) and moved to the USA.

Her citizenship was challenged because of lies she told while seeking asylum. We're getting further and further away from your earlier claims that she was "forced to leave the Netherlands" and that "the government declined to protect her".
  • VeeveeVeevee Registered User regular
    Speech can either be free or not free. There is no grey area. Once you say one type of speech you don't like is no longer allowed, you no longer have a society of free speech but a society of accepted speech and unaccepted speech. Once you set the precedent that speech you don't like is ok to punish, it does open the door for speech you do like to be punished at a later date when/if societal norms change. You have to protect the speech you hate to keep the speech you love free, it does not work any other way. I don't care if Europe has or has not turned into an Orwelian nightmare by implementing these laws, Europe does not have a guarantee that speech is to be free so we cannot create laws that limit speech.

We can implement laws that punish the effects of hate speech, if it can be proved the words did actual harm, but the speech itself is a protected right of this nation.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Speech can either be free or not free. There is no grey area. Once you say one type of speech you don't like is no longer allowed, you no longer have a society of free speech but a society of accepted speech and unaccepted speech. Once you set the precedent that speech you don't like is ok to punish, it does open the door for speech you do like to be punished at a later date when/if societal norms change. You have to protect the speech you hate to keep the speech you love free, it does not work any other way. I don't care if Europe has or has not turned into an Orwelian nightmare by implementing these laws, Europe does not have a guarantee that speech is to be free so we cannot create laws that limit speech.

We can implement laws that punish the effects of hate speech, if it can be proved the words did actual harm, but the speech itself is a protected right of this nation.

This post doesn't even make sense.

The bolded is easily contradicted by Europe that you even acknowledge in your next sentence. A sentence that doesn't actually make sense btw.
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    Sweden has more limitations on speech than the US, and last time I checked our government is less prone to intruding on civil rights, moving the goalposts and overreach of power. Our population does not have a higher tendency to ruining people's careers, promoting self-censorship or otherwise limiting speech beyond the limitations placed by law, just because the existing speech laws "opened the floodgates" or whatever bullshit libertarian scary terms you want to use.

But yeah speech codes are BAD and NAUGHTY and also They Are not the Solution (instead, here are some ineffective and toothless suggestions, to show I am not just complaining and crossing my arms) and will Do More Harm than Good (TM).

I'm sure the US has has a worse crime rate per pop than Sweden, but what are the relative numbers for hate crimes, per pop as well as a percentage of all crime? (excluding hate speech from both sides of the equation)
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

According to your logic, every functioning government on Earth is not a society of free speech, including the United States.
    steam_sig.png
  • FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular

Well firstly sometimes you can prove harm, and we already restrict speech where there is a clear line. We just don't pre-preemptively ban the entire class of speech. We don't ban all bare tits because of Hustler, and we don't ban all homophobic speech because of Shepard.

But more importantly: I'm not claiming there is no problem.

I'm saying that speech codes are not the solution - they are a new, different problem that will harm people while fixing nothing.

The solution is to counter bad speech with good. Stop looking to the government to solve this - it can't do so without breaking the 1st Amendment. Use your speech, and I'll join with you, and hopefully we can continue to turn the tide without also divesting ourselves of critical freedoms in the process.

That's the part of this I don't get: the reasoning. We aren't experiencing some new and terrible epidemic. Our society has been improving. We're advancing. I know liberals like to be all doom and gloom, but seriously, wake the fuck up to this rather bright and sunny day. The trend has been decidedly positive.

So I'm left wondering why you want to fuck the whole thing? I know you don't see it as fucking the whole thing up, but from even the most neutral angle, it's a fundamental change to how we view free speech in this country. What disaster makes you want to go down this road? I mean, I just don't see it. As a society, we've taken on the idea that the best way to combat "bad speech" is by overwhelming it with "good speech". We overpower the ideas we don't like by supporting the ideas we do like. And you know what? We've done really well with that. Shit's been getting done.

So why does this system suddenly not work? When did it break? When did you give up and just decide to hand the government carte blanche to put value judgements on speech and censor/silence it as they see fit?

I just don't get the reasoning.

• Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    A lot of people are pointing out that hateful words can cause suicides, which is a tangible effect. If I could show you data that says people are a lot more likely to commit suicide when they don't have a million dollars, would giving every citizen a million dollars be society's moral imperative? After all, it will prevent suicide.
  • HacksawHacksaw The "New Scum" Registered User regular

This is a very good question, @Melkster

I shall do some digging.
    MetroSig.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    thank goodness somebody thought of that a couple hundred years ago and fixed most of them with the 1st Amendment.

I think that the Amendment certainly helps, but I think a big chunk of why America's speech laws are (generally) as liberal as they are is because of a broad political consensus that comes from some unique traditions.

The commonality of the "I disagree with what you say but..." Voltair-notion I think is at least if not more important than the 1st Amendment.

EDIT: To be sure though, the Bill of Rights is a cultural touchstone that also partially informs our traditions.
    Loren Michael on
    2ezikn6.jpg
  • AstaerethAstaereth Registered User regular
    Damn you all for making me read 10 blasted pages where I was agreeing with Spool. Spool! I feel unclean.

Seriously, those of you arguing for hate speech restrictions are not only playing with fire, you have forgotten the faces of your fathers. Here are some reasons why y'all should shut the fuck up.[/intentional irony]

Innocence of Muslims This is some hateful, hateful stuff that in some cases caused protests and, I have no doubt, violence. It was blocked on Youtube in roughly a dozen dozen countries. Should its makers have been prosecuted here in America just producing it?

Absolutely not. Here, let John Kennedy tell you why:
    ...I have been guided by the standard John Winthrop set before his shipmates on the flagship Arbella three hundred and thirty-one years ago, as they, too, faced the task of building a new government on a perilous frontier. "We must always consider", he said, "that we shall be as a city upon a hill—the eyes of all people are upon us". Today the eyes of all people are truly upon us—and our governments, in every branch, at every level, national, state and local, must be as a city upon a hill — constructed and inhabited by men aware of their great trust and their great responsibilities. For we are setting out upon a voyage in 1961 no less hazardous than that undertaken by the Arbella in 1630. We are committing ourselves to tasks of statecraft no less fantastic than that of governing the Massachusetts Bay Colony, beset as it was then by terror without and disorder within. History will not judge our endeavors—and a government cannot be selected—merely on the basis of color or creed or even party affiliation. Neither will competence and loyalty and stature, while essential to the utmost, suffice in times such as these. For of those to whom much is given, much is required...

My immediate point here is that these protests were motivated by the very idea of "less free" speech you're proposing. When the government makes any judgement call based on content to ban or censor any individual piece of speech, it makes the government complicit in all other forms of speech. Which is exactly what the Mid East protestors believed: if the government allowed Innocence of Muslims to exist and be distributed, the government must actively approve of it. If you subscribe to this point of view, you must realize that it gets to the heart of the matter: a government which makes judgements about the content of speech cannot be impartial with respect to that speech. And with the certainty of partiality comes the possibility of bias in a direction of which you do not approve.

The larger point is that America and it's "pretty fucking free" speech is a city on a hill, with all eyes on us. As the world's greatest superpower, we have the world's greatest responsibility, not just to use that power responsibly but to be an example to the rest of the world. This means not torturing prisoners, even if it means not saving American lives; it means not using chemical weapons, even if we could probably do so with impunity; and it means allowing our speech to be as free as we can stand it, so that nations are inspired by our speakers, our thinkers, our artists, our satirists, and by the mercy and strength with which we treat those who rail and invect against all our most fervent beliefs.

It's really goddamn difficult to adhere to that ideal. It's difficult because there will be people whose words make you want to stab them in the face, from Limbaugh to Bachmann to NAMBLA to another few hundred million douchebags and assholes. It's difficult because words can hurt, and language can affect lives profoundly (why else do we fight so strongly for the word "marriage" over the word "union"?). It's difficult because speech can express and enforce a culture of bigotry and bullying that in turn can push a healthy person into instability and an unstable person into suicide. And it's difficult because when people are in pain, we automatically turn to that most powerful tool, government, in order to shield them and punish the ones responsible. But when wielded inexpertly as a cudgel, government will invariably rebound on those who once controlled it, or find targets they did not intend for it. To use it in this way is dangerous; more than that, it's shameful. We are much better than the people who hate us because it is they who would silence us; it is they who would shout us down, while we have the strength as a country to endure--and not only that, but to listen in good faith and respond peacefully with reason and compassion, believing that in the end it is those traits which will ultimately win out. We owe it to our fathers, to our neighbors and to ourselves to strive toward that goal and not falter along the way, even out of what seems like reason and compassion. It's difficult. But of those to whom much is given, much is required.
    I still have invites and discount codes for Moviepass! Pay $35 a month to see any movie you want in theaters. PM me if you want an invite and/or details.
  • HacksawHacksaw The "New Scum" Registered User regular
    thank goodness somebody thought of that a couple hundred years ago and fixed most of them with the 1st Amendment.

I think that the Amendment certainly helps, but I think a big chunk of why America's speech laws are (generally) as liberal as they are is because of a broad political consensus that comes from some unique traditions.

The commonality of the "I disagree with what you say but..." Voltair-notion I think is at least if not more important than the 1st Amendment.

EDIT: To be sure though, the Bill of Rights is a cultural touchstone that also partially informs our traditions.

Loren hit the nail on the head. While I would be amenable to (and stand in favor of) hate speech laws, I don't see us ever getting them. Our cultural tradition of Free Speech Forever is probably too ingrained at this point for me to expect to see a change any time soon.
    MetroSig.png
    edited May 2013
    Except the whole point of this thread is that no one else is terribly interested or sees value in your example when it comes to free speech. Your post depends on the idea that we share your views on free speech. And the world just doesn't. So the idea that you need to adhere to this ideal of free speech to set an example is pretty silly.

I mean, you can certainly believe as you wish, but don't act like you are setting an example for anyone.

PS - the Innocence of Muslims thing argument also doesn't work since even if you assume restrictions on free speech imply some level of approval of the content, if the US was restricting speech in such a way that you think that said perception existed, the movie wouldn't exist, would it? And thus there wouldn't be anything for them to think the US approved of.
    shryke on
  • notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular

There are speech restrictions everywhere. It does work the other way, and has been for a very long time. Don't believe me? Find your nearest local politician's office and start shouting death threats outside the door. Come back and tell us how that turns out.

A lot of people tend to react strongly against the notion of restricting "Hate Speech" strictly because there's the word "speech" in it and people interpret it vaguely due to it being a vague term.

Many see any restriction on speech under the "slippery slope" lens, which is a laughable argument. If you asked anyone if they support restricting "direct incitement to commit violent acts/genocide", most people would agree, despite incitement being a form of hate speech, and being banned by in the US since the 60's iirc? I have yet to see the US or any other country slide down to that 1984 scarecrow people like wave around

The real argument isn't whether we should have Hate Speech Laws or not, but rather "What constitutes Hate Speech" and "Which of these elements should be restricted, how and by how much?
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    The 'fathers' stuff in that post undermines it tremendously and makes me embarrassed.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Loren hit the nail on the head. While I would be amenable to (and stand in favor of) hate speech laws, I don't see us ever getting them. Our cultural tradition of Free Speech Forever is probably too ingrained at this point for me to expect to see a change any time soon.

In that case...

Death to all Transmetropolitan fans who refuse to put ice in their soda!
  • AstaerethAstaereth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    shryke wrote: »
    Except the whole point of this thread is that no one else is terribly interested or sees value in your example when it comes to free speech. Your post depends on the idea that we share your views on free speech. And the world just doesn't. So the idea that you need to adhere to this ideal of free speech to set an example is pretty silly.

I'm actually arguing that even if you don't like our level of free speech, we have an interest in maintaining it so that other countries have an ideal to live up to. We have to be the shiny symbol (Batman, if you will) and not just people who muddle along making mistakes and applying best principles and situational ethics. We need to be capital-F Free and not just free.
    PS - the Innocence of Muslims thing argument also doesn't work since even if you assume restrictions on free speech imply some level of approval of the content, if the US was restricting speech in such a way that you think that said perception existed, the movie wouldn't exist, would it? And thus there wouldn't be anything for them to think the US approved of.

I think there is a wide, wide selection of things which are not specifically hate speech but which the US would rather not be seen as endorsing, including non-hateful criticisms of our allies, disturbing but not quite obscene art, the output of our successful porn industry, and so on.

Secondarily, I'm not just speaking perceptions; if you're going to use the censor's pen, I believe you actually are endorsing (and thus morally responsible for) anything you choose to let through, the active word there being "choose," the word choose there being an action. And there is plenty of shit I personally don't want to be morally responsible for.

--

Edit: Speaking of Transmetro, I find somebody with a Spider Jerusalem avatar arguing for speech restrictions to be super ironic.
    poshniallo wrote: »
    The 'fathers' stuff in that post undermines it tremendously and makes me embarrassed.

What can I say, I'm a Dark Tower fan. It's the best "shame on you" insult I have that won't get replaced with the word "goose."
    Astaereth on
    I still have invites and discount codes for Moviepass! Pay $35 a month to see any movie you want in theaters. PM me if you want an invite and/or details.
    I think this is a good time to restate the beginning of this discussion (which started in the LGBT thread).

I complained that when American forumers discuss hate speech laws in other countries they do it in a culturally jingoistic way: "The American stance on free speech is the best and everyone else is wrong to some degree because they are unlike us."

And yes, I am intentionally amplifying the language; people here usually don't say it quite that priggishly, but the sentiment is there.

Somehow this morphed into a discussion of hypothetical hate speech laws in the U.S. (not happening, probably ever) and that's fine.

But other countries have them and they manage pretty well. Obviously, St. Petersburg, Russia has a problem, but I suspect that that problem exists between the user and the chair, and the law in question is a symptom of serious social issues in the country and a poorly functioning democracy and not merely that they lack a 1st amendment.

Nothing presented here has in any way persuaded me that hate speech laws trigger an inevitable decline into draconian restrictions on a nation's discourse.

Obviously, it's perfectly fine to be proud of our American values and institutions. I just hate seeing that pride turn into a conceit.
    Astaereth wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

I'm actually arguing that even if you don't like our level of free speech, we have an interest in maintaining it so that other countries have an ideal to live up to. We have to be the shiny symbol (Batman, if you will) and not just people who muddle along making mistakes and applying best principles and situational ethics. We need to be capital-F Free and not just free.

Why? Why do you care when fairly obviously, no one else does? This is kinda silly reasoning. Don't pretend you are doing it for the rest of us. We don't care.

I think there is a wide, wide selection of things which are not specifically hate speech but which the US would rather not be seen as endorsing, including non-hateful criticisms of our allies, disturbing but not quite obscene art, the output of our successful porn industry, and so on.

And yet it happens anyway. Apparently the US's stance isn't doing any good on this issue.

Secondarily, I'm not just speaking perceptions; if you're going to use the censor's pen, I believe you actually are endorsing (and thus morally responsible for) anything you choose to let through, the active word there being "choose," the word choose there being an action. And there is plenty of shit I personally don't want to be morally responsible for.

And I believe you are completely wrong. Saying "This is wrong" does not mean that everything not covered by "this" is, in your mind, right.
    Regina, you really aren't amplifying the language that much. It goes back to what I said earlier about certain viewpoints precluding discussion. For many people (myself included), free speech is as much a moral issue as a political one. That's not going to leave much room for discussion, not just because we think our way is best, but because we feel any other way is morally wrong at best, actively harmful at worst.

That doesn't leave much room for discussion, especially when it comes up against someone with an opposing, but equally moralistic position.

I still want to know if such laws have any appreciable effect on other hate crimes (specifically violent hate crime). Without that, there is almost no chance of you convincing me the cost could ever be worth the benefit.