Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Hate Speech]: how America (and the world) deals with it

• AstaerethAstaereth Registered User regular
    Thank you, Astaereth for demonstrating the exact sort of thing I was talking about.

Given the current state of human rights in this country, the idea that we're the poster child for the rest of the world is incredibly fucking conceited.

"Hay guys check out our 1st amendment! Something for you lesser peoples to aspire to!"

Psst, just ignore Gitmo and the death penalty and our inability to recognize that guns are sort of dangerous and our watery stance on habeus corpus kkthx

USA USA USA

I don't believe in the principle of American exceptionalism, but that doesn't mean I believe America is never exceptional. I think the way we treat speech is extremely laudable, and should certainly be an example to places where you can get arrested for criticizing the government or mocking a religion.

America fucks a lot of things up, yes (and you'll find in threads where this isn't off-topic that I am very anti-gun, against capital punishment, for closing Gitmo, etc), but we do get that one thing right, in my opinion (and even that, we have and continue to struggle with).
    I still have invites and discount codes for Moviepass! Pay $35 a month to see any movie you want in theaters. PM me if you want an invite and/or details.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Regina, you really aren't amplifying the language that much. It goes back to what I said earlier about certain viewpoints precluding discussion. For many people (myself included), free speech is as much a moral issue as a political one. That's not going to leave much room for discussion, not just because we think our way is best, but because we feel any other way is morally wrong at best, actively harmful at worst.

That doesn't leave much room for discussion, especially when it comes up against someone with an opposing, but equally moralistic position.

I still want to know if such laws have any appreciable effect on other hate crimes (specifically violent hate crime). Without that, there is almost no chance of you convincing me the cost could ever be worth the benefit.

It becomes jingoism when you forget that what is right for you might not be right for someone else.

Presuming that American mores are more correct for Sweden than Sweden's mores are for Sweden is incomprehensibly arrogant.
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Regina, you really aren't amplifying the language that much. It goes back to what I said earlier about certain viewpoints precluding discussion. For many people (myself included), free speech is as much a moral issue as a political one. That's not going to leave much room for discussion, not just because we think our way is best, but because we feel any other way is morally wrong at best, actively harmful at worst.

That doesn't leave much room for discussion, especially when it comes up against someone with an opposing, but equally moralistic position.

I still want to know if such laws have any appreciable effect on other hate crimes (specifically violent hate crime). Without that, there is almost no chance of you convincing me the cost could ever be worth the benefit.

It becomes jingoism when you forget that what is right for you might not be right for someone else.

Presuming that American mores are more correct for Sweden than Sweden's mores are for Sweden is incomprehensibly arrogant.

Who's been doing that? I mean aside from the people telling us how much better we would be if we had hate speech laws like them?
    sig-2699.jpg Iosif is friend. Come, visit friend.

Who's been doing that? I mean aside from the people telling us how much better we would be if we had hate speech laws like them?

People do it quite often and there is literally someone doing it interspersed between our very conversation which we are having right now...
  • HacksawHacksaw The "New Scum" Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    thank goodness somebody thought of that a couple hundred years ago and fixed most of them with the 1st Amendment.

I think that the Amendment certainly helps, but I think a big chunk of why America's speech laws are (generally) as liberal as they are is because of a broad political consensus that comes from some unique traditions.

The commonality of the "I disagree with what you say but..." Voltair-notion I think is at least if not more important than the 1st Amendment.

EDIT: To be sure though, the Bill of Rights is a cultural touchstone that also partially informs our traditions.

Loren hit the nail on the head. While I would be amenable to (and stand in favor of) hate speech laws, I don't see us ever getting them. Our cultural tradition of Free Speech Forever is probably too ingrained at this point for me to expect to see a change any time soon.

In that case...

Death to all Transmetropolitan fans who refuse to put ice in their soda!

DoctorWhoRain_zps4525a73d.gif
    MetroSig.png
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular

People do it quite often and there is literally someone doing it interspersed between our very conversation which we are having right now...

Fine, so can we agree that Astaereth and the bulk of the non-Americans in this thread are arrogant geese and get on with making arguments that only our respective sides are willing to consider?
    Fine, so can we agree that Astaereth and the bulk of the non-Americans in this thread are arrogant geese and get on with making arguments that only our respective sides are willing to consider?

You're just being petulant now. Debating the relative merits of hate speech laws is not the same thing as saying "<european country> is better than America, try to be more like them."

Because absolutely no one has said that.
    shryke wrote: »
    Except the whole point of this thread is that no one else is terribly interested or sees value in your example when it comes to free speech. Your post depends on the idea that we share your views on free speech. And the world just doesn't. So the idea that you need to adhere to this ideal of free speech to set an example is pretty silly.

I mean, you can certainly believe as you wish, but don't act like you are setting an example for anyone.

PS - the Innocence of Muslims thing argument also doesn't work since even if you assume restrictions on free speech imply some level of approval of the content, if the US was restricting speech in such a way that you think that said perception existed, the movie wouldn't exist, would it? And thus there wouldn't be anything for them to think the US approved of.

Was this at Astaereth or me? Because if it's at me, I can assure you that decades of American jurisprudence will strike down any hate speech laws we enact. If they don't, our current SCOTUS certainly will. I find no joy in that.
    MetroSig.png

You're just being petulant now. Debating the relative merits of hate speech laws is not the same thing as saying "<european country> is better than America, try to be more like them."

There is no appreciable difference between "we need to be an example for other countries to aspire to," and "your country should adopt laws like ours," with the implication "because ours are better." (If that isn't the implication, that's even worse)
    thank goodness somebody thought of that a couple hundred years ago and fixed most of them with the 1st Amendment.

I think that the Amendment certainly helps, but I think a big chunk of why America's speech laws are (generally) as liberal as they are is because of a broad political consensus that comes from some unique traditions.

The commonality of the "I disagree with what you say but..." Voltair-notion I think is at least if not more important than the 1st Amendment.

EDIT: To be sure though, the Bill of Rights is a cultural touchstone that also partially informs our traditions.

Loren hit the nail on the head. While I would be amenable to (and stand in favor of) hate speech laws, I don't see us ever getting them. Our cultural tradition of Free Speech Forever is probably too ingrained at this point for me to expect to see a change any time soon.

In that case...

My heart is as cold as the ice you spurn.
  • GrouchGrouch Registered User regular
    Moreover, I'm saying that it's not only difficult, it's impossible to write a law that criminalizes speech in the way you want, and also doesn't open the door for criminalizing speech you do want.

The 1st is a bulwark. We can write laws that protect the individual from harmful harassment when they can demonstrate harm, but to write laws pre-emptively banning all instances of a certain kind of speech because we think it might, maybe, harm someone if they hear it?

That is a completely different thing.

And the unspoken "lol" part is "and speech can never be demonstrated to caused harm even when people who are cyber-bullied hang themselves so we can just continue with the status quo of 'say whatever the fuck you want whenever you want regardless of who gets hurt you can't prove anything lolz'.

I don't have a the answers to this problem, but piss on you for claiming there isn't a problem.

Well firstly sometimes you can prove harm, and we already restrict speech where there is a clear line. We just don't pre-preemptively ban the entire class of speech. We don't ban all bare tits because of Hustler, and we don't ban all homophobic speech because of Shepard.

But more importantly: I'm not claiming there is no problem.

I'm saying that speech codes are not the solution - they are a new, different problem that will harm people while fixing nothing.

The solution is to counter bad speech with good. Stop looking to the government to solve this - it can't do so without breaking the 1st Amendment. Use your speech, and I'll join with you, and hopefully we can continue to turn the tide without also divesting ourselves of critical freedoms in the process.

That's the part of this I don't get: the reasoning. We aren't experiencing some new and terrible epidemic. Our society has been improving. We're advancing. I know liberals like to be all doom and gloom, but seriously, wake the fuck up to this rather bright and sunny day. The trend has been decidedly positive.

So I'm left wondering why you want to fuck the whole thing? I know you don't see it as fucking the whole thing up, but from even the most neutral angle, it's a fundamental change to how we view free speech in this country. What disaster makes you want to go down this road? I mean, I just don't see it. As a society, we've taken on the idea that the best way to combat "bad speech" is by overwhelming it with "good speech". We overpower the ideas we don't like by supporting the ideas we do like. And you know what? We've done really well with that. Shit's been getting done.

So why does this system suddenly not work? When did it break? When did you give up and just decide to hand the government carte blanche to put value judgements on speech and censor/silence it as they see fit?

I just don't get the reasoning.

I think there are two points worth making here. First, people who would prefer to see hate speech laws on the books probably don't see them as "a fundamental change to how we view free speech". Hate speech laws would not be the first and only restrictions on speech, if they existed, and speaking in terms of "fundamental change" suggests, to me at least, change of that magnitude. You might argue that no restrictions on speech that resemble hate speech laws are on the US law books, and that may be true enough, but that points less to something fundamental and more to something incidental.

Second, regarding the "what disaster do you foresee?" line of questioning, I think you misunderstand some of the "liberal" project. In some cases, lefty types like to say that bad things will happen if we don't do something (e.g. climate change). I don't think that's what's going on when it comes to free speech. Another thing that lefty types like is changing, updating, and adding to laws, as existing laws address the issues they were meant to, and new issues become more concerning. Things are certainly better now than they were in the past. And there is still room for improvement. But the laws that already exist aren't designed to make the improvements that some people are after, so they try to think of new laws that might do the job. It's not about "doom and gloom", it's about "what can we improve next?"

There is no appreciable difference between "we need to be an example for other countries to aspire to," and "your country should adopt laws like ours," with the implication "because ours are better." (If that isn't the implication, that's even worse)

There's a pretty big difference between <argument: support/evidence> and <declaration of correctness>

I suppose it's possible to pull the latter one off with panache instead of just sounding arrogant, but it's really easy to just sound conceited.

In that case...

My heart is as cold as the ice you spurn.

There is a special level in Hell for the likes of you.
    MetroSig.png

There's a pretty big difference between <argument: support/evidence> and <declaration of correctness>

I suppose it's possible to pull the latter one off with panache instead of just sounding arrogant, but it's really easy to just sound conceited.

What evidence in favor of enacting hate speech laws (or not enacting them, for that matter) has been put forth that doesn't boil down to an opinion?

What evidence in favor of enacting hate speech laws (or not enacting them, for that matter) has been put forth that doesn't boil down to an opinion?

You're drifting far from the original issue.

No one arguing opposite you in this thread has just stood there and nakedly asserted the superiority of other countries hate speech laws.

It doesn't matter how unconvincing, lacking hard evidence, or even dumb, you think the arguments have been. They're not conceited arguments, just people who have a different opinion than you.

Just asserting that your way is best is rather arrogant though. And that's what Aestaereth was doing.

You can be wrong and humble or right and arrogant-evidence isn't the issue, it's an issue of how you present your opinion.

Just so we're clear though, I am an American and have resided in America all my life. When I argue for hate speech laws I'm not making the mistake of presuming that my countries way is so superior to your country's ways that you should just adopt mine, I am in fact questioning the way we do things in this country currently.

Which is something you should be in favor of my doing, since you ostensibly support all this right to dissent as a staunch defender of 1st amendment rights.
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    Except the whole point of this thread is that no one else is terribly interested or sees value in your example when it comes to free speech. Your post depends on the idea that we share your views on free speech. And the world just doesn't. So the idea that you need to adhere to this ideal of free speech to set an example is pretty silly.

I mean, you can certainly believe as you wish, but don't act like you are setting an example for anyone.

PS - the Innocence of Muslims thing argument also doesn't work since even if you assume restrictions on free speech imply some level of approval of the content, if the US was restricting speech in such a way that you think that said perception existed, the movie wouldn't exist, would it? And thus there wouldn't be anything for them to think the US approved of.

Was this at Astaereth or me? Because if it's at me, I can assure you that decades of American jurisprudence will strike down any hate speech laws we enact. If they don't, our current SCOTUS certainly will. I find no joy in that.

Astaereth. I don't see anything happening on this front in the US. The 1st amendment and just general American culture won't tolerate it.

I just find the idea that the American way is the best on this rather silly. IMO obviously.
  • FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Grouch wrote: »
    Moreover, I'm saying that it's not only difficult, it's impossible to write a law that criminalizes speech in the way you want, and also doesn't open the door for criminalizing speech you do want.

The 1st is a bulwark. We can write laws that protect the individual from harmful harassment when they can demonstrate harm, but to write laws pre-emptively banning all instances of a certain kind of speech because we think it might, maybe, harm someone if they hear it?

And the unspoken "lol" part is "and speech can never be demonstrated to caused harm even when people who are cyber-bullied hang themselves so we can just continue with the status quo of 'say whatever the fuck you want whenever you want regardless of who gets hurt you can't prove anything lolz'.

I don't have a the answers to this problem, but piss on you for claiming there isn't a problem.

Well firstly sometimes you can prove harm, and we already restrict speech where there is a clear line. We just don't pre-preemptively ban the entire class of speech. We don't ban all bare tits because of Hustler, and we don't ban all homophobic speech because of Shepard.

I'm saying that speech codes are not the solution - they are a new, different problem that will harm people while fixing nothing.

The solution is to counter bad speech with good. Stop looking to the government to solve this - it can't do so without breaking the 1st Amendment. Use your speech, and I'll join with you, and hopefully we can continue to turn the tide without also divesting ourselves of critical freedoms in the process.

That's the part of this I don't get: the reasoning. We aren't experiencing some new and terrible epidemic. Our society has been improving. We're advancing. I know liberals like to be all doom and gloom, but seriously, wake the fuck up to this rather bright and sunny day. The trend has been decidedly positive.

So I'm left wondering why you want to fuck the whole thing? I know you don't see it as fucking the whole thing up, but from even the most neutral angle, it's a fundamental change to how we view free speech in this country. What disaster makes you want to go down this road? I mean, I just don't see it. As a society, we've taken on the idea that the best way to combat "bad speech" is by overwhelming it with "good speech". We overpower the ideas we don't like by supporting the ideas we do like. And you know what? We've done really well with that. Shit's been getting done.

So why does this system suddenly not work? When did it break? When did you give up and just decide to hand the government carte blanche to put value judgements on speech and censor/silence it as they see fit?

I think there are two points worth making here. First, people who would prefer to see hate speech laws on the books probably don't see them as "a fundamental change to how we view free speech". Hate speech laws would not be the first and only restrictions on speech, if they existed, and speaking in terms of "fundamental change" suggests, to me at least, change of that magnitude. You might argue that no restrictions on speech that resemble hate speech laws are on the US law books, and that may be true enough, but that points less to something fundamental and more to something incidental.

Second, regarding the "what disaster do you foresee?" line of questioning, I think you misunderstand some of the "liberal" project. In some cases, lefty types like to say that bad things will happen if we don't do something (e.g. climate change). I don't think that's what's going on when it comes to free speech. Another thing that lefty types like is changing, updating, and adding to laws, as existing laws address the issues they were meant to, and new issues become more concerning. Things are certainly better now than they were in the past. And there is still room for improvement. But the laws that already exist aren't designed to make the improvements that some people are after, so they try to think of new laws that might do the job. It's not about "doom and gloom", it's about "what can we improve next?"

I don't see a lack of restrictions as incidental. We have pretty clearly crafted the system to be this way. Our only real exception has nothing to do with the actual content of speech. The whole "die for your right to say it" thing is paramount for us as a whole. Our whole system is crafted around that idea. We've progressed from sexist slavers to where we are now with this. We certainly haven't arrived, but I feel it's fairly easy to demonstrate how the ability to freely share ideas in this way has brought our country forward.

And yeah, I guess that's what I know and hate about liberals. Which is not to say I hate liberals. I just hate that tendency to immediately solve any given problem with more laws. I don't really understand it and I find it often goes against my inclinations. At any rate, that is a more reasonable way of looking at it: That it's merely an attempt to improve circumstances as opposed to fixing a present or future tragedy of some kind.

The problem with this is that if you assume that the only real goal is to "make things better", than you're simply measuring that desire against the system that has brought us so far. This isn't a little thing. As others on your side of the argument have mentioned, this is likely not a thing that will ever happen here. Mostly because it runs utterly contrary to how we think, how we do things. The adage "if it's broke, don't fix it" come to mind. If we have made and are continuing to make great progress as a society on the back of the principle, what possible gain is there from turning the whole thing on its head? I don't think it makes sense to do this out of some sense that we aren't progressing fast enough. It's not a fucking race.

Anyways. I actually like that this topic is here. It shows we can do this. We can challenge the basic principles of our society that allow us to challenge the basic principles of our society. That's an awesome thing. I have no desire to fuck with such a thing. I have no desire to set precedent in this way for what is debatably not even any gain.

And finally, the problem you are trying to fix is not even a problem. We already have the ability to discourage hate speech. This is not a new problem. Our system allows for us to speak up and overpower that which we dislike. The only reason this is ever insufficient is because not enough people are speaking up. Which is not a reason to can the whole system.
    Frankiedarling on

Astaereth. I don't see anything happening on this front in the US. The 1st amendment and just general American culture won't tolerate it.

I just find the idea that the American way is the best on this rather silly. IMO obviously.

On this, I feel, we agree. Especially given America's shameful history of racism.
    MetroSig.png
    edited May 2013

On this, I feel, we agree. Especially given America's shameful history of racism.

As compared to.... Europe's? I think I'll take our history of racism over Europe's collective history any day. Which isn't exactly fair, because it's a bullshit comparison. But hey, that's what we're talking about.
    Frankiedarling on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Mentioning the UK/Europe, here's David Mitchell's (you may remember him from such Mitchell and Webb skits as "Are we the baddies?" and "Homeopathic A&E") take on racial slurs:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/05/david-mitchell-racism-insults-wales

While it's not directly related to what we're talking about, it mentions "hate speech", how the UK deals with it, and his own thoughts on the matter.
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular

I don't see a lack of restrictions as incidental. We have pretty clearly crafted the system to be this way. Our only real exception has nothing to do with the actual content of speech. The whole "die for your right to say it" thing is paramount for us as a whole. Our whole system is crafted around that idea. We've progressed from sexist slavers to where we are now with this. We certainly haven't arrived, but I feel it's fairly easy to demonstrate how the ability to freely share ideas in this way has brought our country forward.

And yeah, I guess that's what I know and hate about liberals. Which is not to say I hate liberals. I just hate that tendency to immediately solve any given problem with more laws. I don't really understand it and I find it often goes against my inclinations. At any rate, that is a more reasonable way of looking at it: That it's merely an attempt to improve circumstances as opposed to fixing a present or future tragedy of some kind.

The problem with this is that if you assume that the only real goal is to "make things better", than you're simply measuring that desire against the system that has brought us so far. This isn't a little thing. As others on your side of the argument have mentioned, this is likely not a thing that will ever happen here. Mostly because it runs utterly contrary to how we think, how we do things. The adage "if it's broke, don't fix it" come to mind. If we have made and are continuing to make great progress as a society on the back of the principle, what possible gain is there from turning the whole thing on its head? I don't think it makes sense to do this out of some sense that we aren't progressing fast enough. It's not a fucking race.

Anyways. I actually like that this topic is here. It shows we can do this. We can challenge the basic principles of our society that allow us to challenge the basic principles of our society. That's an awesome thing. I have no desire to fuck with such a thing. I have no desire to set precedent in this way for what is debatably not even any gain.

And finally, the problem you are trying to fix is not even a problem. We already have the ability to discourage hate speech. This is not a new problem. Our system allows for us to speak up and overpower that which we dislike. The only reason this is ever insufficient is because not enough people are speaking up. Which is not a reason to can the whole system.

This is an amazing post and perfectly sums up my opinions on the matter.
    edited May 2013
    Melkster wrote: »
    Question for the folks advocating for an anti-hate speech law:

Is there an example of a well-written law in another country that would satisfy you? Or has someone already named it?

It'd be nice to talk about something concrete here.

You can find the text of Canada's criminal law regarding hate propaganda here.

This is the meat of it:
    Public incitement of hatred

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of
    (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or
    (b) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of
    (a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

Defences

(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (2)
    (a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true;
    (b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;
    (c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or
    (d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

And if anyone is wondering, "identifiable group" is defined as "any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation."

This is a terrible law.

First of all it's plainly unclear what "willful promotion of hatred" means and how it would be applied.

Second, the punishment here seems completely insane. Two years in prison and all it takes is for me to say, "I hate gays and you should too"?

Third, it's unclear what exactly this is trying to solve. Why are we worried about hate groups in the United States? Has the Westboro Baptist Church exploded in popularity recently? Is there some measurable effect that we're looking for? Is there any way for us to tell if this law is accomplishing whatever goal it has?

For as much as I hate the Westboro Baptist Church (Did I just commit a crime in Canada?) I don't want to see them in prison. They haven't caused the kind of the harm that deserves it. The only thing they've done is offend me.
    Melkster on
    Congrats, you've reduced Hacksaw's post to a level where it's something you might have posted instead of him.

"Americas way is shit" being a statement that no one has made in this thread. I'm wondering why the people who hold the 1st in such high esteem take criticism of it so personally.

In theory, you should delight that we are so free that we can even bitch about our freedom.
    Congrats, you've reduced Hacksaw's post to a level where it's something you might have posted instead of him.

"Americas way is shit" being a statement that no one has made in this thread. I'm wondering why the people who hold the 1st in such high esteem take criticism of it so personally.

In theory, you should delight that we are so free that we can even bitch about our freedom.

I think I did that a few posts ago, actually. Though seriously, Hacksaw is pretty much pulling a "lol 'Merica" here.

I think I did that a few posts ago, actually. Though seriously, Hacksaw is pretty much pulling a "lol 'Merica" here.

In response to a USA USA USA so it was justified.
    If you have a completely amazing solution with absolutely no possible way of getting there, then you don't have a fucking thing.

Are you saying I shouldn't have made a thread at all?
    MetroSig.png
    Though seriously, Hacksaw is pretty much pulling a "lol 'Merica" here.

J-Law32-floyd_zpsf837afca.gif
    MetroSig.png

Stunning rebuttal. I'd like to return one of my own, but I'd rather this thread stay open. Maybe with less "lol 'Merica" and "USA USA USA"?
    If you have a completely amazing solution with absolutely no possible way of getting there, then you don't have a fucking thing.

Are you saying I shouldn't have made a thread at all?

Well I don't think he was saying that at all. I think what he's trying to say is that a law cannot be written that would prevent the exact sort of crime you're looking to prevent. Though honestly I'm not even sure what exact crime you'd like to prevent, exactly. We have the Canadian law as an example, and it strikes me as being a very poor law.

Now I'm sure you can point to specific examples and say something like, "OK, the Westboro Baptist Church members should all be thrown in prison." But it's hard to see where a very specific, narrow law comes out of that.
    edited May 2013

Stunning rebuttal. I'd like to return one of my own, but I'd rather this thread stay open. Maybe with less "lol 'Merica" and "USA USA USA"?

I'm fairly certain you have no idea where I stand on this issue if you think I'm pulling a "lol 'merica"
    Hacksaw on
    MetroSig.png
    We have the Canadian law as an example, and it strikes me as being a very poor law.

Really? Do we have any Canadians here who can testify on behalf of its terriblosity?
    MetroSig.png

I'm fairly certain you have no idea where I stand on this issue if you think I'm pulling a "lol 'merica"

It's possible I don't. It's also possible that you haven't been terribly clear. It's a goddamn mystery.
  • AstaerethAstaereth Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

You're drifting far from the original issue.

No one arguing opposite you in this thread has just stood there and nakedly asserted the superiority of other countries hate speech laws.

It doesn't matter how unconvincing, lacking hard evidence, or even dumb, you think the arguments have been. They're not conceited arguments, just people who have a different opinion than you.

Just asserting that your way is best is rather arrogant though. And that's what Aestaereth was doing.

You can be wrong and humble or right and arrogant-evidence isn't the issue, it's an issue of how you present your opinion.

Just so we're clear though, I am an American and have resided in America all my life. When I argue for hate speech laws I'm not making the mistake of presuming that my countries way is so superior to your country's ways that you should just adopt mine, I am in fact questioning the way we do things in this country currently.

Which is something you should be in favor of my doing, since you ostensibly support all this right to dissent as a staunch defender of 1st amendment rights.

I'm really not sure why you believe that "I think Canada has the right kind of speech laws" and "I think America has the right kind of free speech laws" are opinions with different levels of "arrogance" to them.

I would also like to point out in general that, while I think America has the right idea on this issue, I'm not really advocating that Canada or Sweden or whatever follow suit. Countries that have "mostly free" speech are not nearly in the same situation as countries like Egypt or Iran. If the former want to be slightly (but meaningfully) more oppressive, they can do that--I think they're wrong, but I'm not weeping over the human rights abuses. The latter group, the troubled countries who struggle with "But if he insults the President, that's treason, right?", bother me much more.

So my argument is more that:

-America's super-free speech is good for our society.
    -America's super-free speech is a good example to countries who truly struggle with freedom of expression (and that our example is a more effective one than Europe's for being freer in a small but meaningful way).
    -Hate speech legislation will pave the road to Hell in slippery slopes, ie., this is a law that will inevitably be abused, and to the detriment of our society far beyond its gains. I shudder to think what a GOP majority would do with that kind of power.
    -Suppressing hate speech, rather than winning free and open debates against it, is a great way to turn a fringe point of view into a self-righteous, repressed minority. In other words, when people can't express themselves through public words, they'll eventually turn to violence--everybody wants their grievances heard, and if the government forces them to keep their anger bottled up, they will inevitably explode at some point.

I know a couple of these points I haven't really elaborated on, but I'll be happy to if anyone wishes to argue them.
    Astaereth on
    I still have invites and discount codes for Moviepass! Pay $35 a month to see any movie you want in theaters. PM me if you want an invite and/or details.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Inertiatic Dynamo Lawtonok, TexomaRegistered User regular

Dude, you made a comment about racial/ethnic history in America being horrible, and how Europes was better.

You deserve five lashes for the potential Godwinning.

Question for the folks advocating for an anti-hate speech law:

Is there an example of a well-written law in another country that would satisfy you? Or has someone already named it?

It'd be nice to talk about something concrete here.

You can find the text of Canada's criminal law regarding hate propaganda here.

This is the meat of it:
    Public incitement of hatred

319. (1) Every one who, by communicating statements in any public place, incites hatred against any identifiable group where such incitement is likely to lead to a breach of the peace is guilty of

Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

Defences

(3) No person shall be convicted of an offence under subsection (2)
    (a) if he establishes that the statements communicated were true;
    (b) if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text;
    (c) if the statements were relevant to any subject of public interest, the discussion of which was for the public benefit, and if on reasonable grounds he believed them to be true; or
    (d) if, in good faith, he intended to point out, for the purpose of removal, matters producing or tending to produce feelings of hatred toward an identifiable group in Canada.

And if anyone is wondering, "identifiable group" is defined as "any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, ethnic origin or sexual orientation."

This is a terrible law.

First of all it's plainly unclear what "willful promotion of hatred" means and how it would be applied.

Second, the punishment here seems completely insane. Two years in prison and all it takes is for me to say, "I hate gays and you should too"?

Third, it's unclear what exactly this is trying to solve. Why are we worried about hate groups in the United States? Has the Westboro Baptist Church exploded in popularity recently? Is there some measurable effect that we're looking for? Is there any way for us to tell if this law is accomplishing whatever goal it has?

For as much as I hate the Westboro Baptist Church (Did I just commit a crime in Canada?) I don't want to see them in prison. They haven't caused the kind of the harm that deserves it. The only thing they've done is offend me.

I suspect that the meaning of "wilful promotion of hatred" is unclear to you because, like many of your fellow citizens, you aren't used to thinking about speech outside of some very basic categories like nice/mean, offensive/inoffensive, popular/unpopular, controversial/uncontroversial, that sort of thing. So when you start trying to talk about hate speech, you apply the categories you're familiar with and come out with something like mean-offensive-controversial speech, which is not a particularly close approximation. If you were able to nail down what hate speech actually entails, you wouldn't ask questions that seem ridiculous to me, like "is South Park hate speech?" and "Can I go to jail for saying I hate the WBC?" Because, I mean, the answer to both is clearly "no".

Also, for what it's worth, a two-year term of incarceration is the absolute maximum penalty available, and only the most extreme circumstances would warrant the prosecution seeking it.
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx Inertiatic Dynamo Lawtonok, TexomaRegistered User regular
    Hate speech is in the eye of the beholder. Its subjective and falls upon the whims of those who enforce laws.

That's the problem.
    Hate speech is in the eye of the beholder. Its subjective and falls upon the whims of those who enforce laws.

That's the problem.

If you take "hate speech" to mean something like "mean-offensive-controversial" speech, then you're probably right about that. My point is that hate speech is not simply mean-offensive-controversial speech, and it is not any more "in the eye of the beholder" than, say, conspiratorial speech.
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Perhaps this is a good point to define what hate speech is, and provide examples of what is and what isn't, so that a clear line can be seen.
    banner_160x60_01.gif
    saint2e wrote: »
    Perhaps this is a good point to define what hate speech is, and provide examples of what is and what isn't, so that a clear line can be seen.

It depends on the country and the specific law in question.

What is simply not true however is the assertion that it's impossible to write narrow hate speech laws, that it is inevitable that harmless or merely somewhat-controversial speech will get caught up in it, ie: the slippery slope.