Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Higher Education] Practical Problems and Philosophical Foundations

• HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    I will say that I definitely prefer the in-class experience to an online-only situation.

But then, I know myself well enough to realize that when and if I'm left to my own devices, I will fuck it up. I guess that makes me immature... but that's also why I have a convenient ADD diagnosis to fall back on. >_>
    network_sig2.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    MOOCs are not a legitimate threat to higher education. They could be harnessed to improve college, sure, but they will most likely just be a way to screw over people trying to get ahead. Just like for profits.
    Lh96QHG.png
    That said, they're an excellent resource for people who care enough to take their own initiative and go out and find them to complement existing coursework. Like basically of academicearth.org is a goldmine.
    network_sig2.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    That said, they're an excellent resource for people who care enough to take their own initiative and go out and find them to complement existing coursework. Like basically of academicearth.org is a goldmine.

Yeah, stuff like that is what these things are good for.

A replacement for a degree they are not.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    MOOCs are great in theory but I don't think they will work for a really large chunk of the student population. You can argue that you don't actually learn that much in a classroom environment . . . but online courses are a different beast. It is really easy to check in and check out. Being around other people, and having to go out of your way to attend class, puts you in a different mindset. Online classes are definitely a part of education reform, but it will require a level of will and dedication that a lot of students are still developing. They are certainly welcome for those that can handle it but I've always preferred real classes to online classes because the latter just doesn't feel very scholarly. I like feeling like I am in school, even when the commute is a bitch.

I feel bad for being such a gigantic nay-sayer on MOOCs, but I'm a gigantic nay-sayer on MOOCs. Here's the thing: the benefit of going to Harvard or Yale to study history or political science is not that your professors teach their subjects 100% better than a professor in a similar field at a respectable and accredited public school in Virginia or Pennsylvania or California or what have you. Because truthfully, they're not better teachers. The guy teaching 20th Century Political Development at UVA got his degree at Harvard, too. Rather, the benefit is that you get to attend classes with all of those other kids who, through some confluence of high intelligence or extraordinary familial connections and influence, were also able to get into Harvard or Yale. This benefits you in two important ways:

1. Going to class with a lot of intelligent people makes it more likely that you are going to hear a lot of intelligent conversation about a topic.

2. Having hyper-intelligent and well-connect peers means that you'll have a stronger social and professional network to find opportunities to leverage all of that knowledge you've just gained when you get out of school.

You reap neither of these benefits taking an online-only class taught to 40,000 other students each semester by a Harvard professor.
    SammyF on
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/education/college/review-questions-salaries-for-state-college-presidents-in-florida/2120688

Something interesting and related to the topic at hand.

Don't think it will go anywhere, but strange to see someone in the Republican heartland talking about salaries without foaming at the mouth over unions.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    SammyF wrote: »
    MOOCs are great in theory but I don't think they will work for a really large chunk of the student population. You can argue that you don't actually learn that much in a classroom environment . . . but online courses are a different beast. It is really easy to check in and check out. Being around other people, and having to go out of your way to attend class, puts you in a different mindset. Online classes are definitely a part of education reform, but it will require a level of will and dedication that a lot of students are still developing. They are certainly welcome for those that can handle it but I've always preferred real classes to online classes because the latter just doesn't feel very scholarly. I like feeling like I am in school, even when the commute is a bitch.

I feel bad for being such a gigantic nay-sayer on MOOCs, but I'm a gigantic nay-sayer on MOOCs. Here's the thing: the benefit of going to Harvard or Yale to study history or political science is not that your professors teach their subjects 100% better than a professor in a similar field at a respectable and accredited public school in Virginia or Pennsylvania or California or what have you. Because truthfully, they're not better teachers. The guy teaching 20th Century Political Development at UVA got his degree at Harvard, too. Rather, the benefit is that you get to attend classes with all of those other kids who, through some confluence of high intelligence or extraordinary familial connections and influence, were also able to get into Harvard or Yale. This benefits you in two important ways:

1. Going to class with a lot of intelligent people makes it more likely that you are going to hear a lot of intelligent conversation about a topic.

2. Having hyper-intelligent and well-connect peers means that you'll have a stronger social and professional network to find opportunities to leverage all of that knowledge you've just gained when you get out of school.

You reap neither of these benefits taking an online-only class taught to 40,000 other students each semester by a Harvard professor.

But what about the student at a respectable and accredited public school in Virginia? Does he benefit more from having his class designed and taught by his local professor, or from having his class designed and taught by the Harvard professor while his local professor grades his papers? That's the bigger question and what most of the discussion surrounding the use of MOOCs in higher ed is really about.
    Marty81 on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »

But what about the student at a respectable and accredited public school in Virginia? Does he benefit more from having his class designed and taught by his local professor, or from having his class designed and taught by the Harvard professor while his local professor grades his papers? That's the bigger question and what most of the discussion surrounding the use of MOOCs in higher ed is really about.

One thing that keeps being brought - correctly - in discussions about this at the Chronicle of Higher Ed is that fact that being a faculty member at Harvard does not automatically make you either a great teacher or a leading scholar in the field. As someone who studied at a graduate level, it is a broad and under-appreciated truth that the world expert in any particular field may be the guy at Utah State as easily as his counterpart at Yale.

In fact, a MOOC world could lead to the world-leading expert at Colorado State losing his job in favor of an online course taught by a mediocrity from the Ivies.

Why even have a professor then? Just get a GA to grade the papers and we won't have instructors outside of Harvard.
    Lh96QHG.png

Why even have a professor then? Just get a GA to grade the papers and we won't have instructors outside of Harvard.

That paper brings up a very good point: diversity isn't just a buzzword that admissions offices and affirmative action proponents use. Like, it's a tangible good that ought to be actively cultivated, imho. I am much richer for the wide range of people with whom I've had contact. Shifting to a mothership broadcast model of learning eliminates the classroom interaction with people who are sitting 3 feet away from you but who couldn't be further away from you in terms of worldview.

I had a class this spring called Development of International Thought. There was a dude in there who was an on-campus student from Kentucky. I would call him a friend, and he happens to be one of the whitest dudes I know; ROTC, graduating then becoming an officer in the U.S. Army... heavily empiricist worldview. Like he would raise his hand during lectures and literally say, "Why are we studying these philosophers who've been dead for hundreds of years? Where is the empirical basis for any of this stuff? Where's the data to back up this philosophy?" This happened a lot during the course of the semester; like by the end, people would groan audibly when he raised his hand.

But the professor was smart enough to work his skepticism into her lectures. After the first such exchange, she made it a point whenever she introduced a new philosopher/framework to say, "And what is the value of this person's contribution to international politics? Why do we care what he has to say, as Gregory would ask ...?"

On net, I would say that I benefited from my (friendly) after-class discussions with him about exactly why the stuff we were covering that day was relevant enough that we should be learning it. Some of it, frankly, was pretty irrelevant; we covered the Stoics early on, and I never really saw a use for learning about them aside from learning about an interesting artifact from intellectual history. We spent waaay too much time covering Natural Law... but it's also the basis for contemporary thought regarding human rights.

tl;dr: This one guy's skepticism enriched the whole class.
    network_sig2.png
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular

Exactly. This is what many people are worried will happen. At 80%+ of schools you'd just need a few profs to oversee the GA's (who would be using MOOCs for most of their grad courses), then the GA's and adjuncts could handle the undergrad courses. The financial pressure is very great to make this happen, and it is already happening gradually.

The for-profit higher ed industry has already largely moved to this model: canned online courses whose content cannot be altered by the instructors, who are hired only to "deliver" the content and moderate/grade online discussions and papers for $2000 per course. That this is seriously being considered by real institutions of higher ed is terrifying.

Exactly. This is what many people are worried will happen. At 80%+ of schools you'd just need a few profs to oversee the GA's (who would be using MOOCs for most of their grad courses), then the GA's and adjuncts could handle the undergrad courses. The financial pressure is very great to make this happen, and it is already happening gradually.

The for-profit higher ed industry has already largely moved to this model: canned online courses whose content cannot be altered by the instructors, who are hired only to "deliver" the content and moderate/grade online discussions and papers for $2000 per course. That this is seriously being considered by real institutions of higher ed is terrifying.

It will blow up in any university that tries this' face.

It is not a sustainable way to run a college program.

Or a country, for that matter.

And I think most everyone involved in education, except for the politicians, understand this. So I'm not too terribly worried.
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013

Frankly if you're looking at straight up resumes and publications, it's essentially the same experience. I was thinking of a very specific Professor when I mentioned the guy at UVA who also got his undergraduate degree at Harvard. His name's Brian Balogh. Teaches some earlier American history as well as the history of science. Undergrad Harvard. PhD from John Hopkins. His counterpart at Harvard University is a professor named Joyce Chaplin. She also got her PhD from John Hopkins just two years earlier. On paper, they are literally the same person. I consequently reject the notion that you're getting a measurably better educational experience taking an online class from Dr. Chaplin than you would be taking a class taught by Dr. Balogh insofar as the quality of the instruction and intellectual background of the professors in question.

In terms of actually having a professor who knows your fucking name and can write a letter of recommendation for your own future employment or academic pursuits beyond "SammyF? You mean student No. A38715-C? Yeah, A38715-C and I go way back. We exchanged emails twice while he took an online class that I taught. I read one of them while taking a giant shit after some bad Chipotle?" Yeah in that case I would have to say that physically and personally interacting with Professor Balogh would be infinitely preferable to taking an online class with Dr. Chaplin.
    SammyF on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    I obviously can't be specific, but I have negotiated the comp for college presidents before, and WOW. You can't even begin to imagine. The fringe benefits are beyond belief.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

And I think most everyone involved in education, except for the politicians, understand this. So I'm not too terribly worried.

And yet, after several major scandals, the "education reform" movement still continues to be a powerful force.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.

And yet, after several major scandals, the "education reform" movement still continues to be a powerful force.

And yet, higher education soldiers on.

I'm not saying that proponents of high ed need to take down the battlements, I'm saying that MOOCs don't keep me up at night.

The sky is very much not falling.
    Lh96QHG.png
    I obviously can't be specific, but I have negotiated the comp for college presidents before, and WOW. You can't even begin to imagine. The fringe benefits are beyond belief.

Considering the job is like 90% fundraising from millionaires or billionaires to raise money for new facilities or faculty positions, yeah, I probably could believe it. No one strokes out a $500,000 check to a guy who just rolled up in a 2002 Toyota Camry.

And yet, higher education soldiers on.

I'm not saying that proponents of high ed need to take down the battlements, I'm saying that MOOCs don't keep me up at night.

The sky is very much not falling.

Doesn't have to. There's a long game involved, and it needs to be stopped now.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
    You are so tiring, Hedgie.

So very tiring.

MOOCs are not a serious threat to high ed, they are a weapon wielded by the people who threaten it, but they are not scary to me and they shouldn't be to you.

They're jokes and should be treated as such. Like a boggart.
    Lh96QHG.png
    You are so tiring, Hedgie.

So very tiring.

MOOCs are not a serious threat to high ed, they are a weapon wielded by the people who threaten it, but they are not scary to me and they shouldn't be to you.

They're jokes and should be treated as such. Like a boggart.

Then they are a joke that is swiftly gaining traction among cash-strapped universities as a solution to their hemorrhaging of red ink. Which is what makes them less funny.
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Then those universities will fail.

The University System, however, will not fall to MOOCs.

There are real threats to higher ed that should be dealt with, not boogey men.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • HefflingHeffling Registered User regular

You've entirely forgotten about the bean counters, who love this idea. It's the bean counters even more than the politicians who will push something like this through.

The fact that it's working exceedingly well in the private education industry leads me to think that it will show up much more strongly in the public education industry in the next few years. It's another bubble that is going to once again severely hurt this economy.

What's your basis for thinking it won't happen?

It isn't working in the private education industry, it is making lots of money for the for-profit education industry.

There is a massive world of difference between those two things. There are colleges who will make the mistake of seeing MOOCs as their salvation. And they will fail. I will fight to keep it from happening at my college, but it isn't a threat to College.

It is a good scare tactic though, I'll give it that.
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013
    Heffling wrote: »

You've entirely forgotten about the bean counters, who love this idea. It's the bean counters even more than the politicians who will push something like this through.

The fact that it's working exceedingly well in the private education industry leads me to think that it will show up much more strongly in the public education industry in the next few years. It's another bubble that is going to once again severely hurt this economy.

What's your basis for thinking it won't happen?

The bean counters could conceivably be a problem for some institutions. Last year, a hesitance on the part of President Sullivan to accept what the Board of Visitors saw as the inevitability of MOOCs was a heavy component in their decision to attempt to remove Sullivan from office. Notably, they ultimately failed, and board rector Helen Dragas will basically never be able to publicly show her face on campus again.

The moral of the story is this: a lot of very smart people recognize that there are huge and insurmountable flaws with MOOCs. A lot of political appointees are too stupid or too concerned with what a balance sheet might suggest to care. So far, the smart people are winning.
    SammyF on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Frankly if you're looking at straight up resumes and publications, it's essentially the same experience. I was thinking of a very specific Professor when I mentioned the guy at UVA who also got his undergraduate degree at Harvard. His name's Brian Balogh. Teaches some earlier American history as well as the history of science. Undergrad Harvard. PhD from John Hopkins. His counterpart at Harvard University is a professor named Joyce Chaplin. She also got her PhD from John Hopkins just two years earlier. On paper, they are literally the same person. I consequently reject the notion that you're getting a measurably better educational experience taking an online class from Dr. Chaplin than you would be taking a class taught by Dr. Balogh insofar as the quality of the instruction and intellectual background of the professors in question.

In terms of actually having a professor who knows your fucking name and can write a letter of recommendation for your own future employment or academic pursuits beyond "SammyF? You mean student No. A38715-C? Yeah, A38715-C and I go way back. We exchanged emails twice while he took an online class that I taught. I read one of them while taking a giant shit after some bad Chipotle?" Yeah in that case I would have to say that physically and personally interacting with Professor Balogh would be infinitely preferable to taking an online class with Dr. Chaplin.

UVA is a high prestige university and is ranked 36th overall in Political Science and 14th for the specific department they're running. So saying "some public school in Virginia" isn't quite accurate. UVA is not VCU (though VCU is by no means a bad school) it does not have the reputation that UVA has.

Edit: I do agree however, that the general quality of intellectuals is a lot more spread out than people give credit for. Harvard et al are prestigious positions but oftentimes people who accept positions will do so because they value other things over that Prestige. Sometimes that, in and of itself, leads to prestige (like say NYU/Columbia which likely benefit greatly from people wanting to live in NYC/Manhattan). Sometimes it doesn't but I do know of people who have chosen to work in Montana rather than take positions at top 20 schools.

We always need instructors because we always need the ability to have questions answered in parsimonious manners. Because while you can give a lecture to 40,000 people you cannot teach a class of 40,000 people. In addition, theoretically, we need instructors else we never find out which methods and ideas are most valuable.

If only Harvard's econ 101 course is taught students who get to Graduate School to become professors have only learned Harvard's version of 101. While I don't particularly endorse heterodox economics I am not willing (given my views on 101 courses) to endorse any current offering as "the one true way"
    Goumindong on
    It isn't working in the private education industry, it is making lots of money for the for-profit education industry.

There is a massive world of difference between those two things. There are colleges who will make the mistake of seeing MOOCs as their salvation. And they will fail. I will fight to keep it from happening at my college, but it isn't a threat to College.

What's the difference between a private and for-profit education?

Also, what specifically does MOOC stand for?

A private college is simply a college not run by the state. Harvard is a private college, University of Florida is a public one.

A For Profit college is what we used to call a diploma mill. Your ITT Tech, Full Sail, Rasmussen and the like.
    Lh96QHG.png
    edited May 2013
    Wiki]A massive open online course (MOOC) is an online course aiming at large-scale interactive participation and open access via the web. In addition to traditional course materials such as videos, readings, and problem sets, MOOCs provide interactive user forums that help build a community for the students, professors, and TAs. MOOCs are a recent development in distance education.[1]
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

I'm not gonna lie, my brain is having a hard time parsing how elitist and jerkwaddy this guy is coming off as. Like really.
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I don't get it. He says that there are 120,000 jobs that need filling and only 40,000 graduates required to fill them then he says that you don't have to graduate in CS in order to get those jobs...

I mean, if I am a salesperson and i get asked how long something would take, wouldn't my best response be to ask the person responsible for doing it? Sure its my job to know that when its asked but that just means that, as a salesperson, its my job to ask the engineers before i make my pitch
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I"m not gonna lie, my brain is having a hard time parsing how elitist and jerkwaddy this guy is coming off as. Like really.

I think that whole piece was actually written as an excuse to get the "football programs versus AP computer programming courses" jab in.

What a fucking waste of internets.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    It very much reads as "now I'm not saying Computer Science students are better than whatever you majored in, but they're clearly better."
    sig.gif
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

Apparently this guy's company does its production and development in India...so I guess the message is "know some coding, but don't try being an actual coder and wanting to paid for it".
  • AiouaAioua Novus Ordo Seclorum Lord of the ForumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, every time someone spouts off about there not being enough CS or IT dudes they're usually lying. The problem is either they're located in bumfuck, nowhere (and don't pay enough); they don't have any HR/Recruiting people worth a damn (and don't pay enough); or they don't pay enough (and they, seriously, don't pay enough).
    Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we got booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    I'm amused that their choice of young-guy-looking-at-code picture uses CSS too

A private college is simply a college not run by the state. Harvard is a private college, University of Florida is a public one.

A For Profit college is what we used to call a diploma mill. Your ITT Tech, Full Sail, Rasmussen and the like.

Isn't Harvard an insanely wealthy institution that mills out diplomas to rich folks? I mean, is there any chance that someone from the Bush or Kennedy families would get kicked out of an ivy league school?

Admittedly, I think public schools are just taxpayer funded diploma mills with more recruitment restrictions. At the end of the day, a degree is just a piece of paper. And these days, it's much less valuable because the pool of people who have one has been pushed so much by the government.

In fact, a lot of job postings I see don't require a degree at all, but are obviously just using one as a way to weed out the less fortunate.

Isn't Harvard an insanely wealthy institution that mills out diplomas to rich folks? I mean, is there any chance that someone from the Bush or Kennedy families would get kicked out of an ivy league school?

Admittedly, I think public schools are just taxpayer funded diploma mills with more recruitment restrictions. At the end of the day, a degree is just a piece of paper. And these days, it's much less valuable because the pool of people who have one has been pushed so much by the government.

In fact, a lot of job postings I see don't require a degree at all, but are obviously just using one as a way to weed out the less fortunate.

I don't think you know what a diploma mill is.

Or how higher education works.

A diploma mill is a school that gives basically nothing back to the students and churns out diploma after shitty diploma. These degrees are jokes and do nothing but prey on people trying to better themselves. This is your for-profit education industry. It is terrible and despicable and if I could press a button and wipe them from history I would do so.

Colleges are not "diploma mills" in general. You have bad schools and good schools, sure, but your diploma is not, at the end of the day, "just" a piece of paper.
    Lh96QHG.png
    Shamelessly cross-posted from [chat] because I think it's very good.
    Cinders wrote: »
    network_sig2.png