Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

[Higher Education] Practical Problems and Philosophical Foundations

123457»

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    It isn't working in the private education industry, it is making lots of money for the for-profit education industry.

There is a massive world of difference between those two things. There are colleges who will make the mistake of seeing MOOCs as their salvation. And they will fail. I will fight to keep it from happening at my college, but it isn't a threat to College.

It is a good scare tactic though, I'll give it that.

What's the difference between a private and for-profit education?

Also, what specifically does MOOC stand for?

A private college is simply a college not run by the state. Harvard is a private college, University of Florida is a public one.

A For Profit college is what we used to call a diploma mill. Your ITT Tech, Full Sail, Rasmussen and the like.

Isn't Harvard an insanely wealthy institution that mills out diplomas to rich folks? I mean, is there any chance that someone from the Bush or Kennedy families would get kicked out of an ivy league school?

Admittedly, I think public schools are just taxpayer funded diploma mills with more recruitment restrictions. At the end of the day, a degree is just a piece of paper. And these days, it's much less valuable because the pool of people who have one has been pushed so much by the government.

In fact, a lot of job postings I see don't require a degree at all, but are obviously just using one as a way to weed out the less fortunate.

I don't think you know what a diploma mill is.

Or how higher education works.

A diploma mill is a school that gives basically nothing back to the students and churns out diploma after shitty diploma. These degrees are jokes and do nothing but prey on people trying to better themselves. This is your for-profit education industry. It is terrible and despicable and if I could press a button and wipe them from history I would do so.

Colleges are not "diploma mills" in general. You have bad schools and good schools, sure, but your diploma is not, at the end of the day, "just" a piece of paper.

I've heard "diploma mill" applied to many decent schools, though...generally your third-tier and below public universities and such, due to the class sizes and perceived lesser value of a degree from them.

To be honest, I think the distinction may be less than we'd like to think. I'm pretty sure anybody who can get accepted to the average lower-tier university can also graduate, and they crank out more and more graduates each year, such that the value of a degree is lessened (and the standard go down yearly). They make less money doing it, but...yeah, I'm jaded.

I understand your point, in case it wasn't clear, but I just wanted to point out that "diploma mill" is used in other ways.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    It isn't working in the private education industry, it is making lots of money for the for-profit education industry.

There is a massive world of difference between those two things. There are colleges who will make the mistake of seeing MOOCs as their salvation. And they will fail. I will fight to keep it from happening at my college, but it isn't a threat to College.

It is a good scare tactic though, I'll give it that.

What's the difference between a private and for-profit education?

Also, what specifically does MOOC stand for?

A private college is simply a college not run by the state. Harvard is a private college, University of Florida is a public one.

A For Profit college is what we used to call a diploma mill. Your ITT Tech, Full Sail, Rasmussen and the like.

Isn't Harvard an insanely wealthy institution that mills out diplomas to rich folks? I mean, is there any chance that someone from the Bush or Kennedy families would get kicked out of an ivy league school?

Admittedly, I think public schools are just taxpayer funded diploma mills with more recruitment restrictions. At the end of the day, a degree is just a piece of paper. And these days, it's much less valuable because the pool of people who have one has been pushed so much by the government.

In fact, a lot of job postings I see don't require a degree at all, but are obviously just using one as a way to weed out the less fortunate.

I don't think you know what a diploma mill is.

Or how higher education works.

A diploma mill is a school that gives basically nothing back to the students and churns out diploma after shitty diploma. These degrees are jokes and do nothing but prey on people trying to better themselves. This is your for-profit education industry. It is terrible and despicable and if I could press a button and wipe them from history I would do so.

Colleges are not "diploma mills" in general. You have bad schools and good schools, sure, but your diploma is not, at the end of the day, "just" a piece of paper.

I've heard "diploma mill" applied to many decent schools, though...generally your third-tier and below public universities and such, due to the class sizes and perceived lesser value of a degree from them.

To be honest, I think the distinction may be less than we'd like to think. I'm pretty sure anybody who can get accepted to the average lower-tier university can also graduate, and they crank out more and more graduates each year, such that the value of a degree is lessened (and the standard go down yearly). They make less money doing it, but...yeah, I'm jaded.

I understand your point, in case it wasn't clear, but I just wanted to point out that "diploma mill" is used in other ways.

When you are calling Harvard a diploma mill, you're using it wrong. I've heard diploma mill applied incorrectly too, but it refers to for profits for the most part.

Though yes, there are some traditional universities that could qualify.

Heffling was still super duper wrong.

I know you weren't saying he wasn't, I just wanted to reinforce my point.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    When you are calling Harvard a diploma mill, you're using it wrong. I've heard diploma mill applied incorrectly too, but it refers to for profits for the most part.

This is fair.

I'd argue that, in some very limited contexts, you could apply the term not-entirely-incorrectly to Harvard. Which is to say I agree that there is a certain class of person I suspect Harvard (and other top-tier private schools) will wave through admissions and essentially hand a degree to, regardless of accomplishment or ability. This is probably irrelevant to the bulk of students, though, so I still agree almost entirely with you.
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

This is fair.

I'd argue that, in some very limited contexts, you could apply the term not-entirely-incorrectly to Harvard. Which is to say I agree that there is a certain class of person I suspect Harvard (and other top-tier private schools) will wave through admissions and essentially hand a degree to, regardless of accomplishment or ability. This is probably irrelevant to the bulk of students, though, so I still agree almost entirely with you.

afaik, legacy students are still A Thing. That said, I don't know that any institution "hands" people diplomas. I mean, you could argue about low standards/easy grading at some institutions... but I don't think the Ivies are the place.
    network_sig2.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser Way out in the water See it swimmin'?Registered User regular
    Since everyone NEEDS a bachelors now, and p much anyone that isn't handicapped can get a bachelors with time+money+ the barest minimum amount of effort, I honestly see it as a win if most of undergrad is cheaply delivered in these sort of courses.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Their ideas are old and their ideas are bad. Risk is our business.Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Since everyone NEEDS a bachelors now, and p much anyone that isn't handicapped can get a bachelors with time+money+ the barest minimum amount of effort, I honestly see it as a win if most of undergrad is cheaply delivered in these sort of courses.

There are actual things a bachelors does for you outside of the job application tick.

Getting experience, building skills, and networking being the big three.

Being student 432 out of 1000 in Managment 203 Spring Class 2-55 ain't doin' it.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular

Everyone in this case being 30% of the population.
    You are also getting a shittier product and companies will wind up with shittier returns.

It's a bad road to go down. MOOCs can make a great supplement, but they will never make a good replacement.
    Lh96QHG.png
    shryke wrote: »

Not having a bachelors degree seriously hurts your prospects.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    shryke wrote: »

Not having a bachelors degree seriously hurts your prospects.

The solution to that is not "Reinforce a shitty economic model".
    Lh96QHG.png
    Make the shittier, necessary thing cheaper and available to more people does seen a damn sight better than making kids go into decades worth of debt and carving years out of their earning potential.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    edited May 2013
    Make the shittier, necessary thing cheaper and available to more people does seen a damn sight better than making kids go into decades worth of debt and carving years out of their earning potential.

No it doesn't. It makes them waste time and money. If MOOCs ever become a standard (they won't) they won't be appreciably cheaper.

They're a supplement, not a replacement.

Put social pressure instead on business having not retarded demands for entry level jobs instead and start putting more trust and weight behind trade schools.
    AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • shrykeshryke Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Except it won't be a Bachelors. It'll be an MOOC Bachelors (ie - the inferior variant)
    shryke on
    This is like the new Florida plan for high school diplomas to create the Scholar and Merit variants based on whether or not you're going to pass the FCAT so maybe we won't let you take it.

Do you honestly believe that businesses will just accept a B.MOOC as anything worth a crap?
    Lh96QHG.png
    People accept bachelors from non prestigious, crap schools now. It's mainly just a box to tick.

I've seen quite a few BAs on resumes from schools I've never heard of/wasn't entirely sure were real.

The status quo is pretty awful imo.
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    So let's make it worse!
    Lh96QHG.png
    Sorry, I just don't agree with that assessment
    #FreeThan
    #FreeScheck
    #FreeSKFM
    I mean it's kind of a moot point.

I doubt MOOCs will ever become that kind of a thing. Nor will they remain as attractive as they apparently are once they can be monetized.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Does your institution do research? It's not a diploma mill.
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I know nothing about Harvard, but I know Cambridge & Oxford, and they are HARD. And the education is good - lots of good professors and a large amount of tutorials rather than lectures.

Now, getting in while being common as muck might be hard, but they are good places to study. Far from diploma mills. I can't help imagining Harvard is similar.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I know nothing about Harvard, but I know Cambridge & Oxford, and they are HARD. And the education is good - lots of good professors and a large amount of tutorials rather than lectures.

Now, getting in while being common as muck might be hard, but they are good places to study. Far from diploma mills. I can't help imagining Harvard is similar.

Harvard is not a diploma mill (in the vein that Phoenix or ITT are), but legacy students who have families that contribute to Harvard are given lax grading and assured to graduate. There were a few hot articles about it a few years back.

The main problem, as I see it and has been said in this thread many times already, is that higher education is now a misnomer. You may as well call it "subsidized job training" now and skip the pretense. That's what corporate America sees it as, and (hilariously enough) they don't even consider it to be *good* job training.

"Oh, I see you graduated Magna Cum Laude in (relevant field). Please have 3 years experience working in (relevant field) before you apply to our entry level positions." Corporate America has gotten so lazy and entitled that they're not happy with just getting job training taken care of at no expense to themselves, now they want free experience as well!

It's all a damn mess.
    "The welfare of each of us is dependent fundamentally upon the welfare of all of us."
    "This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in."

"There is not a man of us who does not at times need a helping hand to be stretched out to him, and then shame upon him who will not stretch out the helping hand to his brother."
    -Theodore Roosevelt
  • HefflingHeffling Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »

Harvard is not a diploma mill (in the vein that Phoenix or ITT are), but legacy students who have families that contribute to Harvard are given lax grading and assured to graduate. There were a few hot articles about it a few years back.

The main problem, as I see it and has been said in this thread many times already, is that higher education is now a misnomer. You may as well call it "subsidized job training" now and skip the pretense. That's what corporate America sees it as, and (hilariously enough) they don't even consider it to be *good* job training.

"Oh, I see you graduated Magna Cum Laude in (relevant field). Please have 3 years experience working in (relevant field) before you apply to our entry level positions." Corporate America has gotten so lazy and entitled that they're not happy with just getting job training taken care of at no expense to themselves, now they want free experience as well!

It's all a damn mess.

This is what I was getting at. All universities are to a greater or lesser degree, diploma mills. From an educational standpoint, that's the goal and it is generally measured by both quality and quantity. Harvard is considered, from this view, a good university because it provides a decent number of high quality graduates. ITT is a poor university because while it provides a large number graduates, the quality is abysmal.

From the view of the student, quality is (or should be) the most important factory. Quantity acts to the detriment of the students, because it reduces quality. MOOC's, because they rely on student initiative for betterment, have a very high risk of going down the path of ITT. This is why some feel that they will not have a significant impact in the future. But, I think the same feeling existed in the for-profit colleges, who are now major contributors to the student debt crisis. I wholeheartedly agree that low quality education is unsustainable, but Corporate and Political America have shown that they only care about the short term, and not the long term.
    @AmanfromEarth said "There are actual things a bachelors does for you outside of the job application tick.
    Getting experience, building skills, and networking being the big three."

What makes Harvard such a good university, imo, is not only do they have a fantastic education system, but they also work with major companies to provide internships and networking opportunities. This isn't a service that ITT or an MOOC can provide.

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    The other side of the idea to just cheapen the degrees because of Jerbs is that we actually are in a global economy. When Asian and Latin American nations are dumping cash into developing their academies - including the research capabilities that comes with - do you really think it is a good idea to turn American universities into some sort of kabuki theater for the middle classes?
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I've read articles previously talking about how the rise in the cost of education also has a lot to do with the market being flooded with credit. In a manner similar to the housing crisis, banks are handing out loans to anybody who asks for it for school. There's an artificial amount of money being flooded into the market, so the prices of school are going up. And the great thing is that since no one can default on their student debt (or at least, its extremely difficulty to expunge), its basically a sure thing.

An interesting article on it : http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/11/18-0
    BlindPsychic on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I've read articles previously talking about how the rise in the cost of education also has a lot to do with the market being flooded with credit. In a manner similar to the housing crisis, banks are handing out loans to anybody who asks for it for school. There's an artificial amount of money being flooded into the market, so the prices of school are going up. And the great thing is that since no one can default on their student debt (or at least, its extremely difficulty to expunge), its basically a sure thing.

An interesting article on it : http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/11/18-0

That's part of it. Another part is that states are giving less support to their colleges, which has caused tuition to rise.
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum
    Nox+Aeternum.gif
    Damn straight and I'm not giving up any of my crazy ground to some no talent hack.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Also because the highly educated people who are required to teach/prepare/organize colleges are earning higher and higher salaries. The price for college does not go down with new technology because you still need someone with 10 years of training to teach your subjects and people still learn best when you have one of these per 30 students
    @AmanfromEarth said "There are actual things a bachelors does for you outside of the job application tick.

What makes Harvard such a good university, imo, is not only do they have a fantastic education system, but they also work with major companies to provide internships and networking opportunities. This isn't a service that ITT or an MOOC can provide.

The "social capital"/networking aspects of a good uni -- and especially an Ivy -- cannot be overstated, imo.

Also: now we can start turning kids into rat race drones right from grade school!
    network_sig2.png
  • PhyphorPhyphor Registered User regular
    Hamurabi wrote: »

The "social capital"/networking aspects of a good uni -- and especially an Ivy -- cannot be overstated, imo.

Also: now we can start turning kids into rat race drones right from grade school!

While this could easily be terrible, teaching people to handle money from an early age is a good thing overall IMO. Too many people have very poor money management
    Phyphor wrote: »

While this could easily be terrible, teaching people to handle money from an early age is a good thing overall IMO. Too many people have very poor money management

You'll get no argument from me about the merits of teaching money management; I am fucking terrible with my money.

It's more the philosophy that I'm disagreeing with them on. There's a parent interviewed for the story who says, "I don't want my kids to ask how they'll use something they learned in school." While there is obviously some overlap between the Venn diagrams for 'Things worth knowing' and 'Things you will use in everyday life'... the former is waaay bigger than the latter.
    network_sig2.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    I likewise hate the conceit that it must be immediately demonstrable how anything you learn as a child will be useful when you're an adult. I do agree with you, @Hamurabi, that there are plenty of things worth knowing that aren't immediately applicable when it comes to being a working adult (I took piano lessons for 14 years! I can play really well! I've never made a dime at it!), but from a parenting standpoint, I think it's a mistake to buy into the premise, as well, because it suggests that if your kid already knows he's not going to be a doctor, he can blow off studying for biology (for example).

Having said that, I was always much better in chemistry or physics than I was in math because science is just applied mathematics, and I like the application better than the theory when it comes to mathematics, so I could see how adding in an application context might improve knowledge retention even without the conceit that it's important to learn to use skills only insofar as how they can be monetized.
    I am fuckawful at algebra, but pretty kick ass at every single application of that algebra for exactly that reason, Sammy.
    Lh96QHG.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Phyphor wrote: »

You'll get no argument from me about the merits of teaching money management; I am fucking terrible with my money.

It's more the philosophy that I'm disagreeing with them on. There's a parent interviewed for the story who says, "I don't want my kids to ask how they'll use something they learned in school." While there is obviously some overlap between the Venn diagrams for 'Things worth knowing' and 'Things you will use in everyday life'... the former is waaay bigger than the latter.

Really, determining how much of the knowledge you acquired you are actually using can come as much down to how many degrees of Kevin Bacon (seperation) you want to articulate in your thought process as it can direct application.

EDIT: Horribad sentence structure.
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    There's also the fact that little kids are basically tiny little monsters who can't think about the future out past like a week (ie. how many days before Saturday morning). To give them a broad swath of potentially useful knowledge is in itself practical, imo. Like for example I wish I'd kept at it with my Qur'an lessons. The process is usually to read it first in the Classical Arabic (which is basically gibberish, sometimes even to native Arabic speakers), then to memorize the whole of it. Having memorized -- and also understanding -- the entirety of the Qur'an would be insanely helpful to me now. There are probably dozens of other things I could think of that I did a little bit as a kid, but only for a little while, or that I was never exposed to at all; now I realize that I'm all the poorer (intellectually and practically) for not having had those experiences.
    network_sig2.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    There's also the fact that little kids are basically tiny little monsters who can't think about the future out past like a week (ie. how many days before Saturday morning). To give them a broad swath of potentially useful knowledge is in itself practical, imo. Like for example I wish I'd kept at it with my Qur'an lessons. The process is usually to read it first in the Classical Arabic (which is basically gibberish, sometimes even to native Arabic speakers), then to memorize the whole of it. Having memorized -- and also understanding -- the entirety of the Qur'an would be insanely helpful to me now. There are probably dozens of other things I could think of that I did a little bit as a kid, but only for a little while, or that I was never exposed to at all; now I realize that I'm all the poorer (intellectually and practically) for not having had those experiences.

Good lord almighty, yes.

I remember feeling stunned as a 17 year old boy to realize that I was never going to be in grade school again. Considering that I could barely remember a point in my life where I wasn't in grade school, the notion that it was suddenly over felt utterly incomprehensible. Expecting a middle-schooler to understand the long term utility of anything is basically the stupidest way to promote learning, I think.
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really wish I had taken subjects outside of my interests more seriously. I have a graduate degree, but I couldn't tell you the first thing about very, very basic biology. I remember making those little squares that determined genetic stuff, and I was trying to talk to my fiancee about it but had no idea what I was talking about, and she didn't either, and then we just sat around wondering what the hell was wrong with us.
    sig.gif
  • BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Its called a punnett square
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I have an English Language degree, and years of experience in EFL teaching.

But in school I enjoyed science classes and remember a lot of it. I am slowly becoming a scientific translator at the age of 43, and that background knowledge is what has made that possible.

You never know what parts of your education might be useful.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.