Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

American health care vs the world!

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    People conflate poor people with poor countries. When you have countries holding hundreds of billions in USD as foreign reserves cause of trade surpluses, I think the countries can afford to kick a bit of that back across the oceans.

You're confusing per country and per capita; there are a lot of people in India and China. And you're confusing reserves with yearly incomes, that few trillion is the result of a decades accumulation.

A few trillion accumulated by China over the years is still only thousands of dollars per chinese person, and since America as whole spends >$1000 per person per year on prescription drugs asking them to pay the American price for things is still likely beyond their means.

If you then look at india with its 300 billion worth reserves gives only $250 per indian person, which would allow them to pay for a delightful three months of American costed coverage.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    This Republic had its beginning, and grew to its present strength, under the protection of certain inalienable political rights—among them the right of free speech, free press, free worship, trial by jury, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. They were our rights to life and liberty.

As our nation has grown in size and stature, however—as our industrial economy expanded—these political rights proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness.

We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. “Necessitous men are not free men.” People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all—regardless of station, race, or creed.

Among these are:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;

The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;

The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;

The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;

The right of every family to a decent home;

The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;

The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;

The right to a good education.

All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.

America’s own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for our citizens.

Beat me to it. Also relevant
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Freedoms
    "In the future days, which we seek to make secure, we look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms. The first is freedom of speech and expression—everywhere in the world. The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way—everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want—which, translated into world terms, means economic understandings which will secure to every nation a healthy peacetime life for its inhabitants—everywhere in the world. The fourth is freedom from fear—which, translated into world terms, means a world-wide reduction of armaments to such a point and in such a thorough fashion that no nation will be in a position to commit an act of physical aggression against any neighbor—anywhere in the world. That is no vision of a distant millennium. It is a definite basis for a kind of world attainable in our own time and generation. That kind of world is the very antithesis of the so-called new order of tyranny which the dictators seek to create with the crash of a bomb."—Franklin D. Roosevelt, excerpted from the State of the Union Address to the Congress, January 6, 1941
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons LondresRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Dis' wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    If you told me that I could put in a lot of work and spend a lot of money for a shot at developing something, and if it works out, the largest countries in the world are going to just take my work without compensation, that would be pretty demoralizing to me, even if I knew I was also likely to make a fortune in America.
    See, if I we're to become super rich off selling a drug in America I wouldn't really give two shits that it was also saving lives in other countries that couldn't have afforded to buy it anyway.

Scenario 1: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries don't make generic versions of it and millions of people suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Scenario 2: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries do make a Generic version and millions of people don't suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Neither scenario gets me anything extra. One of them reduces suffering in the world.

It's about rights in your property. Like I said before, just because your property is stolen for a noble purpose doesn't mean that its ok. Why did the baker deserve to lose his bread just because Jean Val Jean's family was starving? I think the better approach in these situations is selling on a discounted basis to the governments of these poor countries.

Well because its copying theft not physical theft, the 'baker' in your overstretched metaphor doesn't have any less bread than they had previously.

I agree that selling discounted drugs is the better solution, but when companies refuse to discount it into viability for the receiving government, I don't have any problem with governments telling them to fuck off and allow generics to be produced.

Copyright is a privilege extended to further the public interest. When enforcing the copyright acts massively counter to that public interest a state should consider other options. Pharmaceuticals are different from other IP issues in my opinion, because unlike media and consumer goods it is peoples lives or painful existence on the line, and thus the 'is this copyright worth existing' question actually has considerable weight towards 'no' in some circumstances.

Well, you and I disagree on how copyrights should be conceived (I see their ephemeral nature as a flaw in the nature of the world, not a justicarion to weaken their protections) and see no distinction whatsoever from physical theft and copying-theft (in both cases, the infringement in your right is the loss of exclusive use, and all that differs is the degree). But that is a discussion for another thread. Suffice to say, I do not think that there is a justification for other countries or people to infringe on these rights and I think that anyone who does so should be prosecuted or subjected to international sanctions. That said, I would have no problem with a mandate that drug companies provide these drugs to governments in poor countries at a signifigant discount.

Who mandates this?

Remember we are talking about sovereign countries. Does India mandate itself to require first world drug companies to provide its with deep discounts? Or does the US / British / etc government require this? Why does any government? Again we seem to be talking about a sovereign government telling a drug company to do what it wants in a way the latter would not do it if it had the choice. Why is it better for the first world government where this company is headquartered to make some sort of mandate as opposed to the third world government simply making it lawful for local manufacturers to make the drug on its own terms?
    Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    I mentioned this in the [chat] thread, but a friend of mine got a cochlear implant thanks to the NZ Government last year.

Something that's extremely costly and was out of her reach back in SA.

They only do one though, she'll have to pay for the other one if she wants it. $40k iirc. Costly, but not exorbitantly so.

The fun thing about the US system is that if you want the other one done it might cost $40k. Or it might cost $120k or maybe $15k. Who knows! You certainly won't know until after the procedure is done and you get the bill.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I mentioned this in the [chat] thread, but a friend of mine got a cochlear implant thanks to the NZ Government last year.

They only do one though, she'll have to pay for the other one if she wants it. $40k iirc. Costly, but not exorbitantly so.

The fun thing about the US system is that if you want the other one done it might cost $40k. Or it might cost $120k or maybe $15k. Who knows! You certainly won't know until after the procedure is done and you get the bill.

It's like an unfun version of Musical Medical Insurance combined with The Price Is Right - Medical Equipment Edition.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    If you told me that I could put in a lot of work and spend a lot of money for a shot at developing something, and if it works out, the largest countries in the world are going to just take my work without compensation, that would be pretty demoralizing to me, even if I knew I was also likely to make a fortune in America.
    See, if I we're to become super rich off selling a drug in America I wouldn't really give two shits that it was also saving lives in other countries that couldn't have afforded to buy it anyway.

Scenario 1: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries don't make generic versions of it and millions of people suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Scenario 2: I make a drug, it makes me jillions, poor countries do make a Generic version and millions of people don't suffer and/or die which gets me nothing.

Neither scenario gets me anything extra. One of them reduces suffering in the world.

It's about rights in your property. Like I said before, just because your property is stolen for a noble purpose doesn't mean that its ok. Why did the baker deserve to lose his bread just because Jean Val Jean's family was starving? I think the better approach in these situations is selling on a discounted basis to the governments of these poor countries.

Yes I'm well aware you value calling dibs more than human life.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Marty81 wrote: »

Yeah no kidding. I had to do nasal surgery last year. I called EVERYONE up and they said it wouldn't be more than my deductible, which was $2500.

Well it would have.... IF they hadn't billed everything separately. They billed the hospital, they billed the surgeon, and they billed the room all completely separate. Ended up being $5500.
    Feral wrote: »
    A

Right. And as I said above, there's a third option.

Scenario 3: They strike a licensing deal with Indian generics manufacturers to collect a small license fee for each HIV drug produced. They make jillions on the first world market plus a billion or two on the Indian market.

Certainly. I was addressing the described situation though. I couldn't give two shits that my country is losing out on a negligible amount of money so that people don't die of preventable and treatable diseases.
  • ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    There are four things that shouldn't be run in any country privatly under free market regulations - wich means the government should be in control under all circumstances:

1. education
    2. water
    3. power
    4. health

And how do you achive that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7C63CsqfVI

translation:

"As i said i am coming here you ran about like a swarm of cockroaches."
    *pause*
    "With your ambition, your incompetence and pure greed you took these people as hostages."
    *pause* *glare*
    "Thousands of lives are involved. This is absolutely impermissible. Even if the owners can't come to a decision this factory will be opened again. In any case. We will do that without you. Has everybody signed the contract? Deripaska, have you signed?"
    *pause* *nodding*
    "I can't see your signature. Come here. Sign it. Here is the contract."
    *glare* *scribbling*
    "Give me my pencil back."
    ACSIS on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User regular
    Kalkino wrote: »
    Dis' wrote: »

Well because its copying theft not physical theft, the 'baker' in your overstretched metaphor doesn't have any less bread than they had previously.

I agree that selling discounted drugs is the better solution, but when companies refuse to discount it into viability for the receiving government, I don't have any problem with governments telling them to fuck off and allow generics to be produced.

Copyright is a privilege extended to further the public interest. When enforcing the copyright acts massively counter to that public interest a state should consider other options. Pharmaceuticals are different from other IP issues in my opinion, because unlike media and consumer goods it is peoples lives or painful existence on the line, and thus the 'is this copyright worth existing' question actually has considerable weight towards 'no' in some circumstances.

Well, you and I disagree on how copyrights should be conceived (I see their ephemeral nature as a flaw in the nature of the world, not a justicarion to weaken their protections) and see no distinction whatsoever from physical theft and copying-theft (in both cases, the infringement in your right is the loss of exclusive use, and all that differs is the degree). But that is a discussion for another thread. Suffice to say, I do not think that there is a justification for other countries or people to infringe on these rights and I think that anyone who does so should be prosecuted or subjected to international sanctions. That said, I would have no problem with a mandate that drug companies provide these drugs to governments in poor countries at a signifigant discount.

Who mandates this?

Remember we are talking about sovereign countries. Does India mandate itself to require first world drug companies to provide its with deep discounts? Or does the US / British / etc government require this? Why does any government? Again we seem to be talking about a sovereign government telling a drug company to do what it wants in a way the latter would not do it if it had the choice. Why is it better for the first world government where this company is headquartered to make some sort of mandate as opposed to the third world government simply making it lawful for local manufacturers to make the drug on its own terms?

I would say that it ought to be a part of an agreement that a company could reach with a government re: enforcement efforts. Agree to sell your drug to a country at a discount in exchange for a greater ability to be involved in making sure your copyrights are enforced.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson
    SKFM annoys me the most on this board.
    I think President Vladimir "30 Billion dollar man" Putin's comments on rapacious behavior are to be taken with a grain of salt. That being the amount of money people were saying he had salted away when I visited a couple of years back.

That's not what it is at all. I value rights in property, and if I have a property right, then it doesn't matter what your claim is to my property. It is my right to decide if it is meritorious enough to warrant giving you use of my property.

"There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing." -- Andrew Jackson

That's not what it is at all. I value rights in property, and if I have a property right, then it doesn't matter what your claim is to my property. It is my right to decide if it is meritorious enough to warrant giving you use of my property.

Yes. If you manage to call dibs on something first you value your ability to decide who can use that thing, even if denying it to them would kill them, more important. You've explained this before.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Super Moderator, Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Most of the time, for most drugs, conditions, and patients, this literally does not matter. A generic will do just as well for you as the name brand will, for a fraction of the price.

Sometimes, though, the difference can be dramatic.

Well, now I'm good and terrified.
    Riley: "You're a marsupial!"
    Maddie: "I am not!"
    Maddie: "I am a placental mammal!"
    /me hides under the bed where evil generic drugs cannot find him.
  • MortiousMortious Move to New Zealand Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    One thing on my experience with NZ's Health Care system, it seems to have made (by design I guess) GPs the gatekeepers to every other aspect of healthcare.

The only way I get my free lab tests or specialist visits are if they're requested by my GP (who I have to pay for). I guess I can go directly (though I haven't tried tbh) but then it's out of my own pocket.

Similar with medical procedures like having moles removed. Could do it on my own, but then I have to pay for it. Requested by my doctor = free.
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Barbara Streisand! Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Most of the time, for most drugs, conditions, and patients, this literally does not matter. A generic will do just as well for you as the name brand will, for a fraction of the price.

If I remember that article correctly, it was as much about not researching the effects of different dosages as it was about how the FDA handled it. In which case, it's not necessarily a problem that is inherent only to generic drugs.
    Youtube channel: SuperVikingGamer
    Current Playthroughs: Neverwinter Closed Beta|Let's Build! Sim City
    One thing on my experience with NZ's Health Care system, it seems to have made (by design I guess) GPs the gatekeepers to every other aspect of healthcare.

The only way I get my free lab tests or specialist visits are if they're requested by my GP (who I have to pay for). I guess I can go directly (though I haven't tried tbh) but then it's out of my own pocket.

Similar with medical procedures like having moles removed. Could do it on my own, but then I have to pay for it. Requested by my doctor = free.

That's my biggest issue with my own. I can't just go straight to an optometrist. I first have to go to my primary doctor, tell them my eye sight's getting crappy, which they then verify with an eye chart. Of course when I go to an optometrist it's a repeat of the eye chart test which is annoyingly redundant.

But I suppose the alternative would be letting any jerk off going to the specialist they think they need which I can see getting both very annoying to specialists and very costly very quick.
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Yeah, that's something I'd never come across before I moved to Aus, the "generic" branded drugs.

"Do you want the real thing, or the cheap chinese knockoff?"

"What's the difference?"

"They both have the exact same active ingredient, I'd go for the generic."

"What's the price difference?"

"$12"

So I took the cheap knockoff and got a footlong for lunch. Mmm, delicious IP theft.

I'm pretty sure the US has generics as well.

Well, we do, but one of my pet issues is that generics aren't required (anywhere) to have "the exact same active ingredient."

They're required to be "bioequivalent," which gives the generics producer some leeway. The exact amount of leeway differs from drug to drug, and the precise implications of bioequivalence policy differ from drug to drug and condition to condition.

Well that explains while I was still a nervous fucking wreck while taking the generic Wellbutrin available at my college pharmacy

Jesus

Who can I sue here
    1320673-1.png
    sig.png
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular

That's my biggest issue with my own. I can't just go straight to an optometrist. I first have to go to my primary doctor, tell them my eye sight's getting crappy, which they then verify with an eye chart. Of course when I go to an optometrist it's a repeat of the eye chart test which is annoyingly redundant.

But I suppose the alternative would be letting any jerk off going to the specialist they think they need which I can see getting both very annoying to specialists and very costly very quick.

That's what we have here. No generalists, you just go to the appropriate specialist. It seems to work, although the lack of GPs still weirds me out. I guess it works for here, ie a nation of health-obsessed very organized people. That's the thing with a lot of systems, I think. They don't work for every nation or culture.
    Neal Stephenson wrote:
    It was, of course, nothing more than sexism, the especially virulent type espoused by male techies who sincerely believe that they are too smart to be sexists.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

Anecdotes lol but the wife has seen this in a clinical setting. Doctors have just had to shrug and give the non-generic
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+

This seems like something that could be at least partially remedied by lowering the requirements to become a GP. If it's easier to get such a license, then you'll have more GPs. If you have more GPs, it's faster and cheaper to have them screen you and direct you to the appropriate specialist. Basically, treat GPs explicitly as triage, because that's basically what they are now anyway for anything more serious than a mild infection.
    /me hides under the bed where evil generic drugs cannot find him.

Is this a new feature? I love it

It makes sense in a UHC system, to have a gate keeper. If you or your insurance is paying for it then I guess you should be able to throw your money at any specialist willing to take gold from your purse
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Except those rights aren't unlimited, and are protected by laws and the monopoly on orce government has to enforce those laws.

If there were to be some form of easement, to use real property terms on your intellectual property - such as fair use doctrine - that is fully within the purview of the government.

Property rights aren't a natural right - you don't have an unlimited right do do anything with your property of any sort. Property rights are given, not simply enumerated.
    steam_sig.png
    zagdrob wrote: »

Except those rights aren't unlimited, and are protected by laws and the monopoly on orce government has to enforce those laws.

If there were to be some form of easement, to use real property terms on your intellectual property - such as fair use doctrine - that is fully within the purview of the government.

Property rights aren't a natural right - you don't have an unlimited right do do anything with your property of any sort. Property rights are given, not simply enumerated.

I moved this to the IP thread. Seems more appropriate.

• FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular

If I remember that article correctly, it was as much about not researching the effects of different dosages as it was about how the FDA handled it. In which case, it's not necessarily a problem that is inherent only to generic drugs.

A brand-name drug can only come to market after the manufacturer submits clinical trials on its safety and efficacy. Safety and efficacy tests must be done on all formulations and doses of the drug that they wish to bring to market. If the drug is intended to be used across multiple populations, they have to use broad samples.

In other words, they have to show that it works, and that it works in the populations they intend it to work, in all the forms they intend it to work.

For most generic drugs, all a generics producer has to do is compare blood plasma levels of the active ingredient between a sample of people taking the brand name versus a sample of people taking the new generic.

They don't have to show that the generic actually works. There's no efficacy requirement.

In most cases, they don't have to sample from the target population. There's no particular requirement that a generic antidepressant has to be tested on depressed people, for instance. (The FDA may require a sample from the target population for drugs that are going to be used in particularly metabolically unusual people - say, diabetes drugs.)

In most cases, they don't need to use large samples. A sample of 20 is fine.

Unless the patent specifies a specific isomer, there's no requirement to check for isomerism.

In Wellbutrin's case, they didn't need to check every dosage that Teva intended to market.

These issues have been identified in literature (example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12860486) but the FDA has been slow to adopt change. And understandably so - any additional requirements they put on generics producers to test their drugs will increase the prices of those drugs. We want generics to be affordable.

So there's a necessary balance to be struck; but I think we can pull that balance a little bit more towards patient safety without sacrificing much in the way of affordability.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the fun part is the ultra cheap outlets like Target and Walmart constantly switch up the generics they use by whichever's cheaper at the moment

So the generic that works one month might be different next time you fill your prescription
    SC2 : nexuscrawler.381
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    the fun part is the ultra cheap outlets like Target and Walmart constantly switch up the generics they use by whichever's cheaper at the moment

So the generic that works one month might be different next time you fill your prescription

Anecdote: I brought up the issues with Teva Wellbutrin to my Target pharmacy (I take Effexor, but I requested no Teva medication).

They put a note in my account to that effect and I've never received Teva since. The pharmacist (not the tech, but the staff pharmacist) said something like, "I think we're moving away from Teva entirely for psych meds because of that."

I don't know if she meant that Target location, or the corporation, or what.
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    And of course they are generating those profits while trying to do the most expensive and limiting possible research of all, trying to find 'treatments' for chronic conditions with no cure. Such things are hugely expensive, almost assured to fail, but (if they succeed) create a huge windfall for the company.

Drug resistant bacteria? Yes, its a lot down to the overuse of antibiotics, but there's also a big chunk of problem coming from companies not doing any good research in the area. It's just not as attractive to make a pill that cures someone and costs $50 for a course of treatment compared to a pill that someone has to take for their whole lives. Bacteria aren't 'super-bugs', it is pretty much universally true that immunity to one pharmaceutical comes at the cost of vulnerability to another, since evolution has no sense of 'future proofing'. After all, the body and bacteria have been going back and forth for years with the body maintaining a slight upper hand. Drug companies should be able to be smarter than random evolutionary combinations which occur once every generation.

The drug companies just aren't making the other types, and are eagerly using their current functional ones wherever they can.

A brand-name drug can only come to market after the manufacturer submits clinical trials on its safety and efficacy. Safety and efficacy tests must be done on all formulations and doses of the drug that they wish to bring to market. If the drug is intended to be used across multiple populations, they have to use broad samples.

In other words, they have to show that it works, and that it works in the populations they intend it to work, in all the forms they intend it to work.

For most generic drugs, all a generics producer has to do is compare blood plasma levels of the active ingredient between a sample of people taking the brand name versus a sample of people taking the new generic.

They don't have to show that the generic actually works. There's no efficacy requirement.

In most cases, they don't have to sample from the target population. There's no particular requirement that a generic antidepressant has to be tested on depressed people, for instance. (The FDA may require a sample from the target population for drugs that are going to be used in particularly metabolically unusual people - say, diabetes drugs.)

In most cases, they don't need to use large samples. A sample of 20 is fine.

Unless the patent specifies a specific isomer, there's no requirement to check for isomerism.

In Wellbutrin's case, they didn't need to check every dosage that Teva intended to market.

These issues have been identified in literature (example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12860486) but the FDA has been slow to adopt change. And understandably so - any additional requirements they put on generics producers to test their drugs will increase the prices of those drugs. We want generics to be affordable.

So there's a necessary balance to be struck; but I think we can pull that balance a little bit more towards patient safety without sacrificing much in the way of affordability.

That is a very interesting idea and article. Still reading, but interesting.
    My wife takes the generic for lovenox (an injectable blood thinner) and our pharmacy switched generics and it made her bruise even worse than the one she was using, so now we have to go to a pharmacy 20 minutes away to get the generic that works for her.

• VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Finished reading.

There does appear to be a fairly glaring oversight on someone's part. I don't quite see how the FDA could have agreed that the compounds were equivalent when there's a 50% difference in measured Cmax, unless the study they looked at didn't show that. Conflicting results in different studies aren't that surprising, but the bioavailablity stuff is generally pretty robust.

Nor do I understand why a different salt form would be allowed. It's very well established that altering that component can have a big effect on bioavailablity in oral drugs.

I do think it's interesting that they didn't show any cases of the generic outperforming the brand-name version. Apparently all the time they spend choosing a formulation is good for something.

I thought the only reason that Americans paid so much for brand name drugs was because the drug companies paid off your government to write laws that mandate you get raped through the pants.

Then Americans look over at other countries not getting raped and get upset, much like the scabs get upset at the union workers for their better pay and benefits.

<3
  • CasualCasual IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS WE OUTRegistered User regular
    A

Scenario 3: They strike a licensing deal with Indian generics manufacturers to collect a small license fee for each HIV drug produced. They make jillions on the first world market plus a billion or two on the Indian market.

Why would someone pay for what they can get for free?
    R.I.P Sir Check
    i write amazing erotic fiction

its all about anthropomorphic dicks doing everyday things like buying shoes for their scrotum-feet
    ??/02/2009 - 19/04/2013
    He lives on as cheezburger grease in our hearts.
    They don't get it entirely for free. People already mentioned generics that aren't perfect which means lives and general welfare suffer for it.
  • Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    A

Why would someone pay for what they can get for free?

Well there is costs and plant involved in producing the generic. The pharma company could conceivably sell their drug at a price point that's the same as the generic and get the market that way. It's just that said price point will be very low and the companies don't like that because its really hard to get huge profits that way.