Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

PAX Australia - Featuring One of Our Own in the Indie Showcase!

• Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Yeah I got that too.
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Well, apparently the tickets are going to be mailed out soon. Just got an email and everything.

Dammit, that's what I wanted to say.

Maybe with more oomph... like prefacing it with a "Wooo!" or some such.
  • LalaboxLalabox Who even writes this rubbish? Registered User regular
    Well, I was going to go woot, but then I realised that they hadn't actually sent out the tickets yet.

I am reserving my excitement for when it is needed most.
    . zsiSs.jpg
    I think maybe I am too easily excited.
  • ButlerButler Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Butler wrote: »
    I bought a three-day pass last year but I seriously doubt I'll be able to afford the trip + accommodation. I'll probably sell my pass - at or below cost of course, I'm no filthy scalping punk.

I might be interested if you decide to sell them.

I only have one! But it's yours if you want it. Does anyone know if there's a procedure for transferring passes or is it just a matter of, whoever turns up with it gets in?
    Butler on
  • AnzekayAnzekay The world is not beautiful Therefore it isRegistered User regular
    I bought a three-day pass last year but I seriously doubt I'll be able to afford the trip + accommodation. I'll probably sell my pass - at or below cost of course, I'm no filthy scalping punk.

I might be interested if you decide to sell them.

I only have one! But it's yours if you want it. Does anyone know if there's a procedure for transferring passes or is it just a matter of, whoever turns up with it gets in?

You literally just give them the badge and they use it to get in.
    Battletag: Anzekay#1395
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    @theSquid @stimtokolos @gatsby @hyperballad @jintor @air

I'm just confirming my availability this Saturday afternoon / evening for some late lunch / dinner / dranks etc in town if anyone else if still free and/or keen.
    Tweaked_Bat_ on
    Oh and also @The Black Hunter if you're around that night.
    Also what do people think of the new Daft Punk album?
    Is it properly out yet?
    . zsiSs.jpg
    edited May 2013
    No, it leaked on Tuesday and is available for streaming off iTunes too. So you can't buy a copy of the CD yet, but you can hear it.
    Tweaked_Bat_ on
    Sorry, "leaked".
  • SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
    I have a 3 day pass that I was about to refund as I am now enforcing, but @Anzekay told me someone here might want it. PM me.
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    @theSquid @stimtokolos @gatsby @hyperballad @jintor @air

I'm just confirming my availability this Saturday afternoon / evening for some late lunch / dinner / dranks etc in town if anyone else if still free and/or keen.

Yeah I will walk down and have some drinks and food.
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 Hi! Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I don't remember how much it was, but basically I'll give it to you at cost bro. I'll check sometime.

Just remember, this is in case my friend decides not to come. I honestly have no idea what she's going to decide right now.

Also I believe @Seguer should have a spare pass now too, since he is also enforcing. I am not sure if he already has plans for it but I am sure you could talk him into parting with it for the at-cost price.

Somebody, anybody, I will actually need two, one each for Amy and myself. Man, there's only two weeks between PAX and the Avon Descent. I might have to ask Amy about this, see if she's still keen to go.

Damnit.
  • AnzekayAnzekay The world is not beautiful Therefore it isRegistered User regular
    Needing two is going to make it a bit more difficult, sadly.
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Also what do people think of the new Daft Punk album?

It didn't really click with me, but maybe I'm a bit young to appreciate the nostalgia. 'Give Life Back to Music' and 'Get Lucky' are both fantastic though.

Alive 2007 still reigns as the best Daft Punk album.
  • SwissLionSwissLion KILLING THROWS Miami, FloridaRegistered User regular
    I think I still like Discovery a little more, but I really enjoyed how eclectic the new album is.

There are a few really fantastic songs on there as well.
    9IRsl.png
    I still haven't listened to any of it yet.
  • MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Guys I am from the tropics, and PAX Melbourne is during winter. Am I going to die?
    How many layers do I need? 15?

Also @vivixenne I suppose you could add me to the list of people attending :)
    Thankies.
    Morblitz on
  • theSquidtheSquid Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Sounds like we've got a solid group for this Saturday arvo then @Sydney people. Does anyone want to suggest a specific starting time and meeting place?

edit: it occurs to me at this point that any suggestions should be PM'd.
    theSquid on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 Registered User regular
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Guys I am from the tropics, and PAX Melbourne is during winter. Am I going to die?
    How many layers do I need? 15?

Also @vivixenne I suppose you could add me to the list of people attending :)
    Thankies.

It can get chilly when windy.

And it will just fucking rain out of nowhere then be all sunshine and shit.

CobaltSixty.png
    SwissLion wrote: »
    I think I still like Discovery a little more, but I really enjoyed how eclectic the new album is.

There are a few really fantastic songs on there as well.

Fired it up on itunes. So far, so good, though that third one with the monologue was a bit odd. I totally agree with it being eclectic.

I rather like it so far, though.
    The monologue is by Giorgio Moroder, who some call the "Father of Disco". And also a large influence on the formation of house / electronic music, as he was one of the earliest producers to compose music electronically.
    So I hadn't been paying attention to the budget really- I tend to wait for the aftermath to look into it- but I just heard they cut the baby bonus.

That is an interesting decision, I must admit. I've heard people swear by the baby bonus since it was first put in.
  • VivixenneVivixenne Not Mad... Just DisappointedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Blake has a friend whose ex-wife wanted him to use the baby bonus to buy her a fancier engagement ring.

Because her sisters had nice engagement rings.

Even though the baby was the reason they were even getting married at all.

Classy.
    Vivixenne on
  • Cobalt60Cobalt60 Registered User regular
    I know a couple who spent their baby bonus on a brand new huge-ass widescreen TV, instead of on their new born baby.
    CobaltSixty.png
    The baby bonus was intended to be spent on hospital bills and baby stuff, yeah.

How many people actually did that?

I don't personally know of anyone. People have bought flatscreens, spas, dirtbikes, used it as a downpayment on a new car...

Medicare takes care of most of your expenses. What I heard from people on public health was out of pocket costs came to around the $900 mark. Which most couples that are about to have a kid have probably got in their savings.

The place where the bonus really helped was in very low income households, or single parent households.

Those people were hurting for money with a new kid. Folks from a richer socioeconomic background tend to have the kinds of family and friends that will gift them about five of everything they need. For instance, my best mate and my partner Amys younger sister have had kids twice now. They were given cots, prams,change tables, blankets, clothes, bottles, sterilisers, nappies (holy shit, fucking thousands of nappies), cases of baby food, even a breast pump.

And that was from a very blue-collar group of family and friends.
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    I believe the baby bonus was just as much, of not more about economic stimulation than as an incentive for children.

Whether the money was spent on the baby or not is irrelevant within the larger picture. It was an avenue for an economic stimulus that is/was relatively easy to promote (help working class families support their newborn children) and sell to voters.
  • FishmanFishman scientia potentia est Robot ProvocateurRegistered User regular
    Fuck that. I spent $500 on a Car seat yesterday. I spend $30 on Formula a week. I don't know of a single person who has a baby be a zero-sum impact on their financial position. So yeah, the 'baby bonus' might be 'spent' on a widescreen TV. But then there's still 10,000 other costs that come out of pocket. The average cost of raising a child is the equivalent of buying yourself a new car.... every year.
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • FishmanFishman scientia potentia est Robot ProvocateurRegistered User regular
    Provided your 'new car' is secondhand.
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    A new tv I can accept. And you are right, babies are not free. But I think dirt bikes and spas are pushing the boundaries of luxury purchases.

I mean were these people saving week to week for a spa? Or did they say. Hey we've got a hunk of cash, lets go shopping!
    At least for the first 7-12 months you can breastfeed a baby (and later mix in solids over time) so their food costs are minimal! That's... something.

Unless you have issues with breastfeeding and have to use formula instead. That shit is expensive, yo.
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Basically, if you think that the baby bonus is a good incentive to have a baby, you are grossly underestimating the cost of babbits
    I'm just going to pop in here and complain about the utter barbarity of one of my lecturers. He set the submission time for one of our assignments as 9am on a monday morning.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?
    . zsiSs.jpg
    I'm just going to pop in here and complain about the utter barbarity of one of my lecturers. He set the submission time for one of our assignments as 9am on a monday morning.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Think of it as being due in on Friday, that way you have a weekend spare to finish it off. Simple.
    Blake T wrote: »
    A new tv I can accept. And you are right, babies are not free. But I think dirt bikes and spas are pushing the boundaries of luxury purchases.

I mean were these people saving week to week for a spa? Or did they say. Hey we've got a hunk of cash, lets go shopping!

Well, the spa and dirtbike examples were both diesel mechanics I used to work with. The dirtbike guy had twins, and so got double the amount, $6000. That almost paid for the bike all by itself.
  • marty_0001marty_0001 Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?

Think of it as being due in on Friday, that way you have a weekend spare to finish it off. Simple.

That is just not how procrastination works!
    battleready03.jpg
    It's easily possible to finish the thing over the weekend. It's absolutely fine. It's just the whole process of submission, and having to hand in a physical copy and spend quite a bit of time getting to uni several hours before I have to be there for anything else, and getting rid of the one day that I have to sleep in and ugggggghhhhhhhh

I did say that I just wanted to complain about things.
    . zsiSs.jpg
    @marty_0001 Seven-and-a-half years of uni, man. I know how procrastination works all too well.

@Lalabox Ah, yeah. That would be inconvenient. I guess maybe the lecturer was trying to encourage people to hand it in Friday. That's all I can think of.