Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Iron Thread 3: Out Now! [Iron Man 3] (Use SPOILER Tags!)

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    I realise its not my thread, and people presumably are ok with it, but the whole thread is for Iron Man 3. Which is out. And yet almost every post is spoiler tagged. Wouldn't it be so much easier to read if people just stayed out until they've seen it? I was interested in seeing the discussion but can't be bothered unspoilering everything.
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Joolander wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I brought this up a couple pages ago, but seriously, I love this.

Remember when this happened in the movie?
    LEGO-Iron-Man-3-Mandarin.jpg

I love that even the LEGO sets are just a total, blatant misdirection.

How did this meeting even GO at LEGO?

"OK so for Avengers we'll do the Cube Escape set, a helicarrier set, a couple Battle of New York sets. Great.

For Iron Man 3...I dunno, just go fucking nuts. It's all lies."

Glorious lies.

I like to think that
    Mandarin's tank think is named Fin Fang Foom

I like to think that
    if you assemble that set, you actually end up building a messy bedroom with two hot prostitutes on it and a couch, which Trevor is desperately clinging to because he's having a bad trip and thinks the floor is lava.

"Mommy, I need a shot of adrenaline! Trevor just ODed!"
    Robos A Go Go on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    I'm going to go against the tide of the last page of this thread and say that, while I liked it coming out of the drive-in, the more I think about the movie, the more I hate it. And it has nothing to do with the
    Mandarin Twist, although that felt cliched.

On the plus side, drive-in movies are super cheap and fun!
    steam_sig.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Winky wrote: »
    Black also didn't want to make a boring movie.
    And yes, the movie that would've had the Mandarin as the main bad guy would've been a boring, dull movie. Feel free to disagree.

What I know is that going into Ironman 3 I did not have high hopes at all for the movie, assuming that the trailers were straightforward, and I left a much happier person.

I disagree that it would have been boring or dull. Did you find X-men 1, X-men 2, Batman Begins, Amazing Spider-man, Dark Knight Rises, Avengers* or The Dark Knight boring?

* until the third act

Quid wrote: »
    Not using the version of the Mandarin that you personally want isn't being lazy.

Fighting a genius terrorist would have been Iron Man 2. Deciding to not do Iron Man 2 again was a good thing.
    Killian was a genius terrorist. Iron Man 2 isn't the benchmark for genius terrorists in the franchise. Raza was a highlight in the first movie IMO. Then there's the fact genius terrorists have been great villains in other movies and super-hero franchises. What's so creatively limiting in the Iron Man franchise that you can't see it repeated there?
    Harry Dresden on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Not using the version of the Mandarin that you personally want isn't being lazy.

Fighting a genius terrorist would have been Iron Man 2. Deciding to not do Iron Man 2 again was a good thing.
    was that second sentence sarcasm? Because it sure seems like IM3 still is a lot like IM2.

Here's the IMDB plot summary for Iron Man 2 (because i know most of us don't want to think too hard about that movie and remember this crap)
    Now that Tony Stark has revealed to the world that he is Iron Man, the entire world is now eager to get their hands on his hot technology - whether it's the United States government, weapons contractors, or someone else. That someone else happens to be Ivan Vanko - the son of now deceased Anton Vanko, Howard Stark's former partner. Stark had Vanko banished to Russia for conspiring to commit treason against the US, and now Ivan wants revenge against Tony - and he's willing to get it at any cost. But after being humiliated in front of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, rival weapons contractor Justin Hammer sees Ivan as the key to upping his status against Stark Enterprises after an attack on the Monaco 500. But an ailing Tony has to figure out a way to save himself, get Vanko, and get Hammer before the government shows up and takes his beloved suits away. And can he figure out what a mysterious figure named Nick Fury wants with him?

i'll spoil the rewrite just in case
    instead of wanting his suits, they want his brains to fix super tech extremis. starks former lover (one of many) is a throw away twist villain, and killian was a throw away geek spurned by tony. killian wants revenge at any cost (attempting to kill pepper even though that makes no sense). tony publicly challenges (i can't quite say mocks here) the mandarin (killian). attack on the presidents plane. tony only has his prototype suite so he has to figure out how to save himself from his anxiety, stop killian, and ok the end is a little different but seems like a lot of people were unsatisfied with 'clean swee'.
    steam_sig.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Puts his name on his helicoptor.. ..so everyone knows it's his.Registered User regular

No, instead Tony fought a corrupt businessman with a grudge, which is new is territory?

Actually, genius terrorist would also describe Killian, now that I think about it. It's like two cliches for the price of one! :D
    thanossig_zps4bf2ceeb.jpg
  • WinkyWinky Registered User regular
    And yes, the movie that would've had the Mandarin as the main bad guy would've been a boring, dull movie. Feel free to disagree.

What I know is that going into Ironman 3 I did not have high hopes at all for the movie, assuming that the trailers were straightforward, and I left a much happier person.

I disagree that it would have been boring or dull. Did you find X-men 1, X-men 2, Batman Begins, Amazing Spider-man, Dark Knight Rises, Avengers* or The Dark Knight boring?

* until the third act

The Ironman 3 you guys wanted to watch would've been a boring movie precisely because the rest of those movies exist.
    vspgsp.jpg
    edited May 2013

* until the third act

The Ironman 3 you guys wanted to watch would've been a boring movie precisely because the rest of those movies exist.

I disagree. They didn't have a problem liking
    Killian,
    who wasn't that groundbreaking to begin with. If they can do that a successfully adapted
    Mandarin
    should be a hit in a great movie.
    Harry Dresden on
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Why do we have a thread specifically for this? Didn't seem like the Marvel thread was particularly crowded...

Marvel and Movie thread were both getting a little clogged.

I loved IM3. Very few of the plot "holes" or "problems" people point out seem to be problems to me (or bother me).
    The big one that does is Tony hacking into the AIM servers using Rhodey's login.

Let me help you understand (not being condescending):
    It's usually easier to hack into a database/server if you already have an "In" then just going straight up to the front door and knocking, so to speak.

Tony's smart enough to hack Rhode's login to grant him additional permissions and it was probably easier to do then trying to do it from scratch.

But
    Why would Rhodes have a login to secure AIM servers at all? He'd have a login for the Iron Patriot suit, but that would be it. Those things should be completely separate, unless AIM is full of complete morons. Which clearly they aren't.

Yeah, exactly. (re: hacking)
    "Hey, let's give our client complete access to our entire network, including all the files on this super-secret very illegal project!" said no consulting company ever.

Also: RSA tokens and two-factor authentication and yadda yadda yadda
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • FeralFeral Who needs a medical license when you've got style? Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »
    Also, it completely baffles me that some folks didn't like the little boy in the film. I thought he was great. Probably one of my favorite parts, really.
    He and Stark and a very good repartee with each other. Both sides are very quick.

They also used it to subvert a lot of little kid movie cliches.

Like how Stark
    basically tells him to piss off
    I am comforted by Richard Dawkins’ theory of memes. Those are mental units: thoughts, ideas, gestures, notions, songs, beliefs, rhymes, ideals, teachings, sayings, phrases, clichés that move from mind to mind as genes move from body to body. After a lifetime of writing, teaching, broadcasting and telling too many jokes, I will leave behind more memes than many. They will all also eventually die, but so it goes. - Roger Ebert, I Do Not Fear Death
  • SponkSponk boglinus minimus Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Ok so l'm fresh from a second viewing and
    RE: Starks surgery the exact lines are( or at least very close to)

As for Pepper I was able to sort her out - with a little tinkering - And then I thought hey - Why stop there?

Make of that what you will.

This is from the last page, but you're probably reading too much into that. I'm almost certain that line refers to
    Tony finally having the surgery to remove the shrapnel from his chest, not any additional enhancements to Pepper (unless he requested a "daddy stitch" from the surgeon, which honestly doesn't seem too far outside his character).
    Sponk on
    LIVE ID: sponk81
    wii code: 8041-7562-5268-4264
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Pailryder wrote: »

was that second sentence sarcasm? Because it sure seems like IM3 still is a lot like IM2.

Here's the IMDB plot summary for Iron Man 2 (because i know most of us don't want to think too hard about that movie and remember this crap)
    Now that Tony Stark has revealed to the world that he is Iron Man, the entire world is now eager to get their hands on his hot technology - whether it's the United States government, weapons contractors, or someone else. That someone else happens to be Ivan Vanko - the son of now deceased Anton Vanko, Howard Stark's former partner. Stark had Vanko banished to Russia for conspiring to commit treason against the US, and now Ivan wants revenge against Tony - and he's willing to get it at any cost. But after being humiliated in front of the Senate Armed Forces Committee, rival weapons contractor Justin Hammer sees Ivan as the key to upping his status against Stark Enterprises after an attack on the Monaco 500. But an ailing Tony has to figure out a way to save himself, get Vanko, and get Hammer before the government shows up and takes his beloved suits away. And can he figure out what a mysterious figure named Nick Fury wants with him?

i'll spoil the rewrite just in case
    instead of wanting his suits, they want his brains to fix super tech extremis. starks former lover (one of many) is a throw away twist villain, and killian was a throw away geek spurned by tony. killian wants revenge at any cost (attempting to kill pepper even though that makes no sense). tony publicly challenges (i can't quite say mocks here) the mandarin (killian). attack on the presidents plane. tony only has his prototype suite so he has to figure out how to save himself from his anxiety, stop killian, and ok the end is a little different but seems like a lot of people were unsatisfied with 'clean sweep'.

They didn't
    want Tony's brain.

Killian doesn't want revenge. Killian doesn't care about Tony. He's (mostly) over it. Can't resist a barb at the end, when by coincidence they end up on a roof together. Could you? There's no malice there, or regret. Just plain old snark.

Tony being dragged in wasn't Killian's plan. Killian would never have bothered with Tony or Pepper. Except that Tony decided to publicly yell at the Mandarin. When that happened, Maya realizes that Killian is not going to let it go unanswered, and goes (against orders) to "help" Tony. When Tony is presumed dead, she has to pretend to be on the run from Killian with Pepper.

It would have been perfectly reasonable for Maya or Killian to kill Pepper ... except that Killian has a thing for her, and keeps her prisoner. There's a line about her being a trophy.

When Tony shows up alive, Killian decides "what the hell, I'll give it a shot" and injects Pepper with Extremis as an incentive. Presumably she's well secured and couldn't have escaped even with super-powers.

He's not trying to kill her; he's trying to convince Tony to save her*. Either Tony cures her (a win for Killian) or Tony fails (null outcome). They overdose Pepper in a safe place, she dies.

*That's a pretty fine hair, to be sure.
    Tamin on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Registered User regular
    Posted this elsewhere, when I really meant to post it here. Anyhow, here's my shallow take:

Saw Iron Man 3 last night. I enjoyed it, perhaps not as much as I expected or wished to. Maybe I was hyped too much? I'm not sure because it seems like all the things that people say they liked about it, I wasn't as impressed. I dunno, I think I just liked the first two so much that it became difficult for this one to live up to it. Sorry.

One thing that bugged me that perhaps I can get some clarity on:
    When Stark and the boy are having their scenes, Stark is continuously referred to as a mechanic. Sure he can be a mechanic, but I've always felt he was an engineer first and foremost. Is this just a move toward humility or a misunderstanding of what a mechanic and engineer does?

Good movie though, definitely worth the price of admission, and I love seeing these things on the big screen.

Quality, Speed, Low Cost -- Choose Two

I'm probably playing Neverwinter or SimCity right now.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    When Stark and the boy are having their scenes, Stark is continuously referred to as a mechanic. Sure he can be a mechanic, but I've always felt he was an engineer first and foremost. Is this just a move toward humility or a misunderstanding of what a mechanic and engineer does?

It was a joke coming from the kid
    He recognized Iron Man, but not Tony. So he asked if Tony was Iron Man's mechanic, and he went with it.
    Feral wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Why do we have a thread specifically for this? Didn't seem like the Marvel thread was particularly crowded...

Marvel and Movie thread were both getting a little clogged.

I loved IM3. Very few of the plot "holes" or "problems" people point out seem to be problems to me (or bother me).
    The big one that does is Tony hacking into the AIM servers using Rhodey's login.

Let me help you understand (not being condescending):
    It's usually easier to hack into a database/server if you already have an "In" then just going straight up to the front door and knocking, so to speak.

Tony's smart enough to hack Rhode's login to grant him additional permissions and it was probably easier to do then trying to do it from scratch.

But
    Why would Rhodes have a login to secure AIM servers at all? He'd have a login for the Iron Patriot suit, but that would be it. Those things should be completely separate, unless AIM is full of complete morons. Which clearly they aren't.

Yeah, exactly. (re: hacking)
    "Hey, let's give our client complete access to our entire network, including all the files on this super-secret very illegal project!" said no consulting company ever.

Also: RSA tokens and two-factor authentication and yadda yadda yadda

It's a step up from him hacking a buncha satellites and Hammer's secure servers and hijacking a TV feed by pointing an iPhone at it. :P
    camo_sig2.png
  • QuidQuid The Fifth Horseman Registered User regular
    Any time hacking comes up in a movie I just enjoy the magic hackig fireworks that always occur.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2013

He recognized Iron Man, but not Tony. So he asked if Tony was Iron Man's mechanic, and he went with it.

does that gel with the kid saying
    "Technically, you're dead", and slapping him in the chest with a newspaper? IIRC, the paper says "Stark thought dead" (or words to that effect).
    Tamin on
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Well, there's also the second/third scene in the first movie. The morning after:
    dude's building a hotrod in his basement.

Also was kinda hoping after he said that,
    he'd have an oil-stained shirt with his name embroydered on it while walking around town
    Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Sponk wrote: »
    Ok so l'm fresh from a second viewing and
    RE: Starks surgery the exact lines are( or at least very close to)

As for Pepper I was able to sort her out - with a little tinkering - And then I thought hey - Why stop there?

Make of that what you will.

This is from the last page, but you're probably reading too much into that. I'm almost certain that line refers to
    Tony finally having the surgery to remove the shrapnel from his chest, not any additional enhancements to Pepper (unless he requested a "daddy stitch" from the surgeon, which honestly doesn't seem too far outside his character).

Yeah nobody thinks that about pepper.
    The argument that's happened in a few other threads is exactly why Tony didn't get the surgery until now.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus The machine is broken. The universe is broken.Registered User regular
    here is a big reason i don't think the Indiana Jones movies are "great" movies. (i find them highly entertaining but not better than say a Die Hard movie)
    These movies are just Harrison Ford in a crazy adventure. If you replace Harrison Ford with someone else, i'm not sure how entertaining these movies would be, and i'm much more confident that people would pay more attention to the flaws of the movies if they weren't so entertained by Harrison Ford's performance.
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

does that gel with the kid saying
    "Technically, you're dead", and slapping him in the chest with a newspaper? IIRC, the paper says "Stark thought dead" (or words to that effect).

Aah, still works
    once the kid knows the guy is the one who goes inside the Iron Man suit, he knows he's supposed to be dead. It's just that although the kid knows Iron Man (natch) he doesn't know what Tony Stark looks like cause who cares - s'all about Iron Man. ;D
    camo_sig2.png
    here is a big reason i don't think the Indiana Jones movies are "great" movies. (i find them highly entertaining but not better than say a Die Hard movie)
    These movies are just Harrison Ford in a crazy adventure. If you replace Harrison Ford with someone else, i'm not sure how entertaining these movies would be, and i'm much more confident that people would pay more attention to the flaws of the movies if they weren't so entertained by Harrison Ford's performance.

i don't think harrison ford is the only thing that sells Indiana Jones movies. I do think that RDJ is the only thing selling the Iron Man movies. Opinions i guess.
    steam_sig.png

i don't think harrison ford is the only thing that sells Indiana Jones movies. I do think that RDJ is the only thing selling the Iron Man movies. Opinions i guess.

We'll find out eventually how true this is. But I expect the role to outlive Downey Jr.'s interpretation. People thought James Bond should have ended when Connery left, too.
    and while the number of people that watch a show increases, the variety of opinions also increases, i think it's safe to say that there are certain bond movies that are considered "lesser" and it might have more to do with the script and story than the person portraying bond. I just feel like the stories told in Iron Man really aren't that great. The movies become so dang entertaining (i've rewatched IM1 with my kids a few times) because RDJ makes them entertaining. I'm grateful to have entertaining movies! As time passes, i find it harder and harder to go back to XMen 1 even though i know it's better than 2 or 3, because while there are some good performances, too much of the movie just drags. I'm worried that IM3 will be similar. I'm only a few days out of the theater and i'm not sure how much i want to watch the movie again.

i know i will but...
    there will be no big twist with the Mandarin. so each interaction with Tony, each plot point, becomes more critical to stand up as a good piece of a good story. While i think Pearce and Kingsley and Paltrow do fine jobs, i wasn't blown away by their performances either. Kingsley might be the only one i would say is more than forgettable, outside of RDJ.
    steam_sig.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Just saw it. Great movie.
    Couple of things:
    1 - where's the AC DC?
    2 -
    why is it that the fire people's touch disables iron man? He's not even stopped because of the pain, it just flat out disables the suit the moment he's touched by a fire dude.
    Sig.jpg
  • NocrenNocren Still AwesomeRegistered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Couple of things:
    1 - where's the AC DC?
    2 -
    why is it that the fire people's touch disables iron man? He's not even stopped because of the pain, it just flat out disables the suit the moment he's touched by a fire dude.

If you mean at the end
    it looked like the dude ripped something out of the chest or at least damaged the arc reactor when he punched up through the floor.
    newSig.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Just a lighter moment that I absolutely loved:
    When Tony was escaping and only had a hand and foot from his suit as well as a gun, and he was shooting all the guards, he gets to the last one and the guard goes:

"I don't even like working here, these people are crazy."

I thought that was the perfect attitude for a guard to have. He's not a true believer, he's not willing to die for these people, he just wants a paycheck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMd4S-LkywI
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Couple of things:
    1 - where's the AC DC?
    2 -

If you mean at the end
    it looked like the dude ripped something out of the chest or at least damaged the arc reactor when he punched up through the floor.

Yup
    But you are also probably thinking of the time Iron Patriot gets disabled with a touch. We arn't told it explicitly but AIM refitted the Iron Patriot, the AIM girl went specifically for the touch like she knew what would happen and then the suit opened after enough heat was applied to the chestplate which doesn't really seem like a good idea.

You do the math.
    detail-1.jpg
    My Band "The Wicked Girls"
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Couple of things:
    1 - where's the AC DC?
    2 -

If you mean at the end

Yup
    But you are also probably thinking of the time Iron Patriot gets disabled with a touch. We arn't told it explicitly but AIM refitted the Iron Patriot, the AIM girl went specifically for the touch like she knew what would happen and then the suit opened after enough heat was applied to the chestplate which doesn't really seem like a good idea.

You do the math.

Actually I'd have to say that
    having the suit eject when it starts getting too hot seems like a really good idea. You can't shed heat that quickly, so if the suit is just getting heat up, getting the operator out and hoping he survives is better then cooking him alive.
    in a scenario where
    the chest of the suit was getting super heated, does it really make sense for the suit to open up and the person will walk in the direction of whatever was heating the suit? oh look, some lava/heat beam/whatever just struck the chest of the suit, let's open it up and make the guy MORE vulnerable...?
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2013
    Couple of things:
    1 - where's the AC DC?
    2 -

If you mean at the end
    No I mean any time. On the plane, during the fights at the end. Any part of the suit a fire dude touches can't move or use repulsors. And then sometimes a suit can be roasted for minutes and get red and other times he can just put his hand through it like it's paper.
    Oh, and right after getting rescued the president in the iron patriot just walks away. if the suit's disabled, he should have face planted like a dummy.
    DanHibiki on
    Sig.jpg
  • MrFuriousMrFurious Registered User regular
    I didn't understand how each individual piece of his armor not only had the mechanics to propel itself through the air (steering itself to a specified point, no less), but also contained enough fuel to travel well over 900 miles. I mean, where inside his face-plate, for example were the engine and the fuel to fly across the country?

I also have to wonder why the bad guy blew fire once, but then never did it again and why, if Tony Stark could summon the all of the suits that he left in California to his position (no matter where it was), he didn't just do that when he was in Tennessee.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax Registered User regular
    MrFurious wrote: »
    I didn't understand how each individual piece of his armor not only had the mechanics to propel itself through the air (steering itself to a specified point, no less), but also contained enough fuel to travel well over 900 miles. I mean, where inside his face-plate, for example were the engine and the fuel to fly across the country?

I also have to wonder why the bad guy blew fire once, but then never did it again and why, if Tony Stark could summon the all of the suits that he left in California to his position (no matter where it was), he didn't just do that when he was in Tennessee.
    They were trapped in the basement. They basically say this in the movie. Also, they presumably charged off of the arc reactor in the suit.

Because 9% think it's too high, and shouldn't be cut! 9% of respondents could not fully
    get their arms around the question. There should be another box you can check for, "I
    have utterly no idea what you're talking about. Please, God, don't ask for my input."
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's comic book physics.
    None of the extremis stuff makes sense either. How is the human body able to heat itself up to 3,000 degrees, let alone handle that heat? If the extremis soldiers can make themselves so hot that they can melt through metal, they'd also melt their bones, muscles, skin, and clothes.
  • BubbyBubby Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I really can't see how IM will survive post-RDJ. The Indiana Jones comparison is pretty spot on. Bond has survived all these years because it's not fully driven by the personality of it's stars, not to the degree IM and Indy are. When I think about Bond, I think about the villians, women, cars, and Connery/Craig/whoever. When I think about IM the first and only thing that pops up is RDJ. Jeff Bridges was the only really good villain in the whole trilogy, as interesting as the plot in IM3 was.

I think Marvel got too complacent with RDJ too quickly. A big reason why TDK and DKR eclipse anything Marvel has done besides maybe Avengers is because Joker, Bane, and Two Face were genuinely terrific bad guys. Loki is the only one so far who comes close IMO. Hiddleston is pretty much the most magnetic Marvelverse presense besides RDJ.
    Bubby on
    edited May 2013
    Bubby wrote: »
    I really can't see how IM will survive post-RDJ. The Indiana Jones comparison is pretty spot on. Bond has survived all these years because it's not fully driven by the personality of it's stars, not to the degree IM and Indy are. When I think about Bond, I think about the villians, women, cars, and Connery/Craig/whoever. When I think about IM the first and only thing that pops up is RDJ. Jeff Bridges was the only really good villain in the whole trilogy, as interesting as the plot in IM3 was.

You're underestimating how awesome the Marvel universe is. They know how to cast well and their movies are usually good to incredible. That goes a long way in keeping people/fans interested. This is only the beginning.
    Harry Dresden on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 We Good? Registered User regular
    Have to say, I liked it.

Way I've come to see it, the three Iron Man movies work well together, and, for modern 'trilogies' or franchises or whatever, it has been a very, very long time since I've seen a third movie in a series work satisfyingly and tie everything together. These days I've come to see the Third Movie for most acts as the point where most people involved go, "Fuck it, we've got a huge profile and the marketing presence, merchandising, and box office takes of the last two behind us. Let's just show up and call it a day."

Iron Man 3 was certainly quirkier than the first two...and there were certainly times in it were it seemed like it wasn't a SuperHero Movie, just a movie about some regular guy who happens to be a genius, insanely rich, and owns a collection of advanced robotic suits he built on his own. There were points in Iron Man 3 where I felt like Stark would be more apt to plunk down on a secondhand couch in a shitty apartment somewhere and order takeout and that was his life, rather than the one the past few movies have shown us.

I'm impressed. But, then again, I also liked Iron Man 2, so what do I know.
    bzbhM.jpg
    It's comic book physics.
    None of the extremis stuff makes sense either. How is the human body able to heat itself up to 3,000 degrees, let alone handle that heat? If the extremis soldiers can make themselves so hot that they can melt through metal, they'd also melt their bones, muscles, skin, and clothes.
    hey, Hulk had to get extra large pants because his regular pants ripped off when he turned.
    By that logic we should have gotten to see pepper's pots.
    Sig.jpg
  • skeldareskeldare Maaaaariooooooooo? Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Marvel to Turn China-Only Scenes in IRON MAN 3 into Short Film for American Audiences

In response to fan outrage that some of the footage in Iron Man 3 was exclusive to the Chinese release, the studios have decided to recut said footage into a short film and release it. The short focuses on Dr. Wu, a character who only gets ten seconds of screen time in the American theatrical release. Titled The Prologue, the short film will reveal more about Wu, who is played by the Chinese actor Wang Xueqi.

According to The Playlist, The Prologue will be roughly 3 minutes long, and it is unknown whether or not the short film will be a standalone release or a special feature in the Blu-ray release. Iron Man 3 included the China-specific scenes because it was co-financed by the Chinese company DMG Entertainment. Personally, I think this short film is unnecessary for fans to demand. As we previously covered, the Chinese-only scenes are not only chock full of Chinese product placement, but they also lack any strong additional plot development. However, if it’s just a matter of hardcore fans wanting to see every piece of footage possible related to the film, I guess I can understand.

Starring Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce, Rebecca Hall, Stephanie Szostak, James Badge Dale, Jon Favreau and Sir Ben Kingsley, Iron Man 3 opened stateside on May 3rd. At $175.3 Million, it had the second highest opening weekend of any film in the US, beating out The Dark Knight, and falling short of Joss Whedon’s film The Avengers, which also featured the ironclad American hero.
    skeldare on
    Twitter Facebook
    Wii U and 3DS Codes
    idcard.php?type=3&style=1&name=skeldare&name2=1848-1663-9345
  • Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Just a lighter moment that I absolutely loved:
    When Tony was escaping and only had a hand and foot from his suit as well as a gun, and he was shooting all the guards, he gets to the last one and the guard goes:

"I don't even like working here, these people are crazy."

I thought that was the perfect attitude for a guard to have. He's not a true believer, he's not willing to die for these people, he just wants a paycheck.

To be honest, I that was my favourite little beat in the movie. I have been waiting years, for one of the terrorists, guards, soldiers or crook to go "fuck it, I am out of here".

I can buy storywise, one guy taking out a hundred mooks single handed with his special skills/weapons, but the idea that not one of the mooks will decide to quit and become a mall cop in Boca Raton instead of charging the hero is incredible.
    Communicating from the last of the Babylon Stations.