Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Strip Search - Training Day

• Maz-Maz- C'mon Donny! Registered User regular
    Heh, this is gonna be like that South Park episode where the kiddie hockey team Stan is coaching is playing against an NHL team and just get totally obliterated.

Or the card game, yeah. Good thinking!
    zwischenablage01.gif
    Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654
  • Maz-Maz- C'mon Donny! Registered User regular
    As for Katie's prize, I'm thinking she gets to design a card for "season 2" of the card game.
    zwischenablage01.gif
    Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654
  • LampLamp Registered User regular
    On a side note, I'm glad we finally got to see the ping pong challenge, which was the last challenge I remember seeing in the original teaser for the show. It's FULL of spoilers since it shows a lot of mid-season challenges and spoiled quite a few of the eliminations for me so far, since I had already seen footage of certain competitors participating in an activity we hadn't seen yet. The last thing I remembered was a shot of Monica playing ping pong. I would have been pissed if she got put up for elimination before that challenge, since I would have known she was sticking around.

Seriously, I will never ever understand how anyone involved in the show thought that kind of teaser video was a good idea.
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Okay, so Monica's not quite as enthused for the Thunderdome as I thought last time. What I was seeing turns out to have been, like, actual gamesmanship in the house that, by avoiding the Thunderdome until now, she's wound up on the wrong side of.

Remember way back when Amy told Katie not to say anything about the Thunderdome because it gave her an advantage? It looks like they've all been doing that. You find out about it when you take your turn, and Monica hasn't taken her turn yet.

That said, I know she's game for it once she finds out what she'll be doing. I said some episodes back that she has a thing going at her strip where, when her schedule opened up due to no more college, once every six months she participates in Hourly Comics Day: you draw at least one panel depicting every hour you're awake and recap your day. Which is some damn good Thunderdome training.

She's done three of them so far; the first two came prior to filming:
    February 1, 2012
    October 22, 2012
    February 3, 2013
    Gosling on
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • PhoenixragePhoenixrage Registered User regular
    What if: The Ping Pong Challenge WAS the immunity challenge, and next episode is the reward challenge (hence why they didn't reveal her prize: picking the two that are up for elimination) tun tun TUUUUN ;)
  • xdeathknightxxdeathknightx Registered User regular
    It's interesting (and a little weird) that only Monica used the penhold grip, and then she actually benefited from her opponent's backhand weakness.

Did they teach her that in pre-training? She didn't mention any previous experience...
    The grip was probably taught in the training they had. The backhand weakness is just simple tactics in a match. If I had seen someone's backhand was weak versus a very strong forehand I'd be placing all my shots towards their backhand too. And it has been at least 15 years since I last held a ping pong paddle and even then we mostly did "around the world" so I have no clue of ping pong tactics. But I do know that if someone is weak at a certain aspect you make sure you use that fact.
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Katie wins! :)

I want a girl with a slow hand,
    A ping-pong player with an easy touch,
    I want somebody who will take their time,
    Not smash the net in a heated rush.

Also it was hilarious seeing the look on Maki and Tavis' faces at the start. I don't which was dreading "sports" more, but they sure couldn't hide it very well. :lol:
  • JermsJerms Registered User regular
    Spman2099 wrote: »
    I feel like they totally missed an opportunity by not having cheesy 80's inspirational music for the tournament.

Agree. There needed to be some slow motion ping-pong with Eye of the Tiger playing in there somewhere. Ending with Maki's miss-hit into Kiko's junk?
  • A Concerned CitizenA Concerned Citizen Registered User regular
    Fun episode, kind of called the winners, and winner, after seeing everyone play. Good job to everyone though they all improved as the tournaments went on. Can't wait to see what sort of "fighting" there's going to be. Probably something lots of fun though...
  • BdonBdon Registered User regular
    Was anyone else really hoping they'd put on a showcase game to let the strippers see what the game really looks like and it would be Khoo versus whoever the master of that ping pong place is?
  • gavindelgavindel Registered User regular
    I love how Khoo just stood to the side and stared into their souls as the girls were trying to play. Judging them silently, weighting which one he shall eat first.
    Aether drive online. Blogs, rants, gaming nerdity. http://www.aetherdrive.com
  • Anana11Anana11 Registered User regular
    Katie, once again, with her well-rounded skillz. I think if anyone has the edge on who I'd like to see win, it would be Katie. Honestly, they're all pretty awesome, either in art or humor or both.
    I can't believe they'd do something as boring and one-sided as the PA crew obliterating the strippers in a ping pong battle, so I've got to assume they're baiting us on the teaser. Besides, isn't it supposed to be testing some web-cartoonist needed skills? Sure, ping pong is a near requirement for PA success (look how hard Erika Prime had to work to get "in"), but it's not a global requirement.
    Looking forward to seeing what the teaser really means!
  • wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    This was a nice, stress-free episode to enjoy. I still love the SS participants more and more with each challenge.

I hope I can be their friends in real life. The way they encourage each other or champion themselves quietly shows that they're all high-caliber.
    "Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    ahdok wrote: »
    As a Lexxy hater I can have a field day with every episode. She's just terrible scene after scene.

You do know you're talking about an actual real person, who comes here and reads these forums, right? If I read those kinds of things about me, it'd make me feel pretty unhappy.

That or I'd just post my ridiculously awesome image of the Chandra skateboard, and sit there happy in the knowledge that I was a ridiculously awesome artist.

Doesn't make him any less of a goose for saying that, but when you put yourself out there like that people saying stuff like that is bound to occur. Hate is part of the "game"... especially with reality type stuff. I imagine she'd just ignore the remark tough, at least based off her wonderful (imo) response on the twitter thing. :P

edit: plus dude's been hating on her forever so it's kind of like... whatever especially in his case, I'd guess.
    tastydonuts on
    "a good leader can make an okay group great..."
  • WigawagaWigawaga Registered User regular
    So how hard is it to tell whose thick black rectangular framed glasses are whose in the morning?
  • miaAusamiaAusa GOD Gamer Of Daters ValhallaRegistered User regular
    that was funny to see monica genderbend as travis at the end, they should show more on that, lol, its so cute
  • ahdokahdok Figment of your imagination Registered User regular

Doesn't make him any less of a goose for saying that, but when you put yourself out there like that people saying stuff like that is bound to occur. Hate is part of the "game"... especially with reality type stuff

I agree with you, but I do believe that there is a silent majority on the internet who let "Haters gonna hate" fly because it's "part of how the internet is." We might not be able to change the internet, but if that silent majority just speaks up every now and then, we might just be able to ostracize such behaviour from the things we love. It's worth saying we're not okay with this.

Maki has a good comic about a different subject, with the same moral.
    http://www.socksandpuppets.com for comics, art and other junk.
  • TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User new member
    It looks like Alex called it on the Ping Pong necessity.
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I forgot the card game existed, but it makes sense. I like the doubles idea, especially since there's only six of them- Khoo sitting out would make a competition like that more balanced. But it's probably the card game, since- given the value of the social prizes given away so far- the prize would most likely be something like a set or some boxes of the CCG. I can't think of anything worth good money that could be attached to a doubles comp.

Plus, how likely does it seem that they'd do two variations of the same challenge in one day?

Edit: To clarify, I think it has something to do with the card game, but I have a hard time believing they'll be playing the game competitively for their challenge. There's nothing webcomic-y about that. The most logical thing is creating art for a new card, but so far the challenges have been quite different and they've already done one making art for a CCG. I know I'm probably overthinking this; all the same, I feel like they're going to do something besides the obvious.
    Spiffy McBang on
  • spawnoftheEDspawnoftheED Graphic Designer New JerseyRegistered User regular
    saw this coming!
  • SonickSonick IndiaRegistered User regular
    Lexxy mentioned that two of her comics had gone viral, anyone know which those are?
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, the more I think about it the more I think the next challenge must be wildly different from what the teaser implies. I can't imagine it will be another straight ping pong challenge -- singles or doubles, that would be boring and pointless. On the other hand I can't quite imagine how they'd twist it into something that actually relates even tangentially to webcomics. But isn't that the point of the elimination challenges? So far not a single elimination event has been wholly disconnected from cartooning or the business of cartooning. Or I could just be overthinking it and we're gonna watch Khoo and Kiko smash ping pong balls into the sad doughy faces of the artists while the rest of the PA crew laughs.
    Lamp on
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Maybe a doubles tournament (PA staffer teams up with a stripper). Katie getting first pick at a teammate?
    This is my thought as well; I suggested as much in the SE++ thread. I hope we are correct :) (KHOO! I CHOOOOOOSE YOUUUUU!)
    It would test not only their ability at ping pong, but also (and to a greater degree, I would think) their knowledge of the PA team, which is an indirect test of how much they wanted this / attempted to prepare in advance. (Did any of them attempt any preparation? None of them has said anything like that. But if they did, surely they would have done some reading about PA and what it's like there).

Yeah, I think that team antics, with your standing in the tournament determining order of pick, is a super good guess.
    I forgot the card game existed, but it makes sense. I like the doubles idea, especially since there's only six of them- Khoo sitting out would make a competition like that more balanced. But it's probably the card game, since- given the value of the social prizes given away so far- the prize would most likely be something like a set or some boxes of the CCG. I can't think of anything worth good money that could be attached to a doubles comp.
    This seems like a pretty good guess too. It would also prevent my main concern with any ping pong challenge, ie that the winner of the social competition pretty much autowins any competition that uses the same set of skills AND gives you an advantage for having just won.
  • SonickSonick IndiaRegistered User regular
    Katie is brilliantly cute! I'm happy she won the ping pong tournament too
  • SlothboySlothboy Registered User regular
    Yay Katie! Y U SO ADORABLE?
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    when they said fight, i was really hoping against hope for an MMA challenge.
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    MekkaB wrote: »
    I hope the next challenge is that they play PAINT THE LINE ccg. (not scrolling down to see if it's been said, but high-five if you said it)

How did I not think of this? This would be perfect. They played ping pong, and obviously they can't beat the PA crew, but they can roll dice and play the CCG.

I also agree with this. The Paint the Line CCG makes perfect sense. I really don't see them playing the PA staff in ping-pong, not only would they get annihilated - but it would be the exact same challenge twice in an episode more or less, which would be poor tv.

The Paint the Line CCG, however, would be a nice "twist" and - hey, look! - advertising for a PA product!

On the other hand, thus far all of the competitive competitions have tied - even if loosely - into the artists either doing art (t-shirt design, the M:TG challenge) or into something else connected to running an actual webcomic business (twitter, interviews, booth design, convention sketching). Paint the Line would be.... neither. I'm not sure how comfortable Id be with an event that can send an artist to elimination having nothing to do with being a webcomic artist. For the social challenges, it's fine. But for the competitive ones? Eh.
    The Post 2012 Summer Sale Backlog Progress
    Games Finished: 34 Games Added: 15 Total Progress: +19

steam_sig.png
  • seegruseegru Master of None St. PaulRegistered User regular
    Way to go Katey! Kind of a slow episode. Ping pong is fun to play but kinda brutal to watch.
  • parmeisanparmeisan Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how comfortable Id be with an event that can send an artist to elimination having nothing to do with being a webcomic artist.
    It would be interesting timing for the challenge where everybody but Monica is intending to send Monica anyway...

Although I kind of suspect that even though everyone is agreeing she should go, several of them would actually NOT send her in if they felt that there were 2 clearly worse competitors. I do think they'll all be looking for an excuse though.
    edited May 2013
    I also agree with this. The Paint the Line CCG makes perfect sense. I really don't see them playing the PA staff in ping-pong, not only would they get annihilated - but it would be the exact same challenge twice in an episode more or less, which would be poor tv.

The Paint the Line CCG, however, would be a nice "twist" and - hey, look! - advertising for a PA product!

And you guys thought 15 minutes of go-karts made for mediocre TV. I have a hard time imagining a less interesting challenge than watching people play a card game whose rules I don't know. And incorporating a tutorial into the episode for viewers would be even worse. I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.

Lamp on
  • shisershiser Registered User regular
    The most logical thing is creating art for a new card, but so far the challenges have been quite different and they've already done one making art for a CCG.

Well they did art for a CCG company, but it was for skateboards. Before I'm accused of being anal about semantics, there was a really specific set of needs there (a skateboard deck is a uniquely shaped canvas), but at the same time, what they were required to draw was fairly open-ended.
    Card art for a CCG, though, is a different animal; you've got a very small space to convey a concept, possibly a fairly abstract one. I think it might be different enough to be an interesting challenge, especially since now that there's only 6 artists left we'd get to see a little bit more of each's creative process.
    parmeisan wrote: »
    I'm not sure how comfortable Id be with an event that can send an artist to elimination having nothing to do with being a webcomic artist.
    It would be interesting timing for the challenge where everybody but Monica is intending to send Monica anyway...

Although I kind of suspect that even though everyone is agreeing she should go, several of them would actually NOT send her in if they felt that there were 2 clearly worse competitors. I do think they'll all be looking for an excuse though.

We've had 12 nominations so far and 11 different artists have gone up. You usually only get that kind of spread in explicitly-bracketed competitions like The Contender and Full Metal Jousting (and even in Full Metal Jousting they had to keep eliminated jousters around in case they needed to fill a hole in the bracket due to injury or expulsion). After Katie went up twice in the first two rounds, nobody's wanted to put up anyone else that's already been there.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • MarraphyMarraphy Pittsburgh, PARegistered User new member
    Levin is actually my favorite character I think we need to see more Levin
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    shiser wrote: »
    The most logical thing is creating art for a new card, but so far the challenges have been quite different and they've already done one making art for a CCG.

Well they did art for a CCG company, but it was for skateboards. Before I'm accused of being anal about semantics, there was a really specific set of needs there (a skateboard deck is a uniquely shaped canvas), but at the same time, what they were required to draw was fairly open-ended.
    Card art for a CCG, though, is a different animal; you've got a very small space to convey a concept, possibly a fairly abstract one. I think it might be different enough to be an interesting challenge, especially since now that there's only 6 artists left we'd get to see a little bit more of each's creative process.

I'd like this. They get a blank card with a power description and have to art it up. Maybe Katie's prize is that she gets to pick the card?

Although, wasn't Lexxy contracted to illustrate the first run? Seems like she would have a distinct advantage having already taken direction on what they like in CCG art.
    Automata-Sg.png
  • kilroy214kilroy214 Registered User regular
    Woo! Go Katie!
    edited May 2013
    shiser wrote: »

I'd like this. They get a blank card with a power description and have to art it up. Maybe Katie's prize is that she gets to pick the card?

Although, wasn't Lexxy contracted to illustrate the first run? Seems like she would have a distinct advantage having already taken direction on what they like in CCG art.

Well, the preview says "and you have to fight the Penny Arcade staff", so this clearly is not an art challenge. And there are seven staffers lined up behind Graham. Something tells me that extra staffer matters. Maybe Katie's prize is she gets to play doubles with that extra staffer as a teammate.
    Gosling on
  • HardmanHardman Registered User regular
    Ugh. Not a fan of watching Ping Pong and now it looks like we have another round of it coming in the next episode. It's one of those things that is great to play but can get mind numbingly boring to watch. Still, anybody who's familiar with PATV would know that a Ping Pong episode was coming. It was inevitable.

This might be a red herring though, as the PA staff is soooo into Ping Pong, any kind of head-to-head challenge is going to be a slaughter. Maybe it will be the card game or video game version of it? Or maybe they'll just do something art related - shirt, paddle, or card design?

Congrats to Katie! Wonder what her prize is gonna be? Did I see Monica dressed as Tavis in the end there - Whaaaaa?
  • RilsRils Registered User regular
    Although, wasn't Lexxy contracted to illustrate the first run?

Yeah, I think she illustrated like 6 of the cards. So "Hey, you get to design card art for free!" doesn't seem like much of a challenge, when at least one of the players has already been paid to do it...

• there'saforum?there'saforum? Registered User regular
    It's interesting (and a little weird) that only Monica used the penhold grip, and then she actually benefited from her opponent's backhand weakness.

Did they teach her that in pre-training? She didn't mention any previous experience...
    The grip was probably taught in the training they had. The backhand weakness is just simple tactics in a match. If I had seen someone's backhand was weak versus a very strong forehand I'd be placing all my shots towards their backhand too. And it has been at least 15 years since I last held a ping pong paddle and even then we mostly did "around the world" so I have no clue of ping pong tactics. But I do know that if someone is weak at a certain aspect you make sure you use that fact.

It's been 15 years or thereabouts for me too, but I still remember learning how the weak point of the penhold grip was the backhand - and also that traditionally Asian players used that grip. Which is why I though it was weird that the only Asian contestant was also the only one using the grip here... and even weirder that she exploited another player's weak backhand (instead of it being the other way around).

After today's episode, I'm pretty sure I want Monica to win in the end. (Katie and Abby being tied for second on my list of remaining favorites.)