Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

Strip Search - Training Day

1235»

• dejavu,againdejavu,again Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I'm surprised Khoo doesn't use a paddle like this: http://www.gotabletennis.com/Butterfly_Senkoh_1_Japanese_Style_p/20360.htm

There's a big difference between Japanese Penhold and Chinese Penhold paddles. They're more similar to each other than shakehand, but still quite distinct paddles and playstyles.

What you linked is Jpen. Khoo uses Cpen.
    dejavu,again on
  • SeriouslySeriously Maarebas Registered User regular
    he's our sweetie
    NSxe4l9.png
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    The sweetest.
  • CambiataCambiata I'm an alchemist and the beat is my base metal Registered User regular
    Tube-san kawaii yo
    -Tal wrote:
    If you don't develop Stockholm Syndrome, it's not a real RPG.
    Steam
    Origin ID: jazzmess
    Amazon Wishlist
  • Agent0fN0thingAgent0fN0thing Registered User regular
    Fact: I love all the artists.
    Fact: I love humor.
    Fact: Elimination challenges result in funny comics.
    Fact: No matter who gets eliminated, I win.
  • Spiffy McBangSpiffy McBang Registered User regular
    Fact: I want it to be Friday.
  • BuchoBucho Women sense my power Registered User regular
    Fact: I want to win the lottery so I can give every Strip Search artist one meeeellion dollars to help free them up to do whatever they want to make their dreams come true and stuff.
    Fact: Then I'll take all the credit for the inevitable successes.
    Fact: Oh, this should probably have been the first fact: I'm kind of dastardly.
    "yo are y'all havin a good ol-fashioned MERMAID FIGHT in here" - World as Myth
  • tynanaideentynanaideen Registered User regular
    Guys it looks like Monica isn't in the next episode all I see Is a very slim Tavis and the rest of the group going up against the PA staff.
    Erika posted these gifs of one of Abby's awesomenesses from this ep - http://erikamoen.tumblr.com/post/49970722973/yeahstripsearch-thankfully-there-wasnt-any

Because Erika is also awesomeness.
  • Phyrexian EditorPhyrexian Editor Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Wow, you're missing so much.

Am I really, though? You wouldn't watch Top Chef to see how good Richard Blais is at Call of Duty. American Idol doesn't make contestants enter a pie-eating contest. There is no unicycle race on Project Runway. So why'd they bother getting a bunch of cartoonists together if almost every episode is going to be about something totally unrelated to cartooning?
    edited May 2013
    :double:
    Phyrexian Editor on
    edited May 2013
    :double:
    Phyrexian Editor on
  • DemonicoreoDemonicoreo Registered User regular
    What I find funny is how some people missed Graham say in the first episode that the show was not about drawing comics, that they were looking for the artist that was the total package. Can handle fans, cons, the work enviroment, merch sales, network, publicity...ect. Seems that if you want comics you could... you know go to their comics page and read them.

Am I really, though? You wouldn't watch Top Chef to see how good Richard Blais is at Call of Duty. American Idol doesn't make contestants enter a pie-eating contest. There is no unicycle race on Project Runway. So why'd they bother getting a bunch of cartoonists together if almost every episode is going to be about something totally unrelated to cartooning?

I don't watch any of those shows, but if they made a bunch of models race unicycles that may very well change.
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

If American Idol made contestants enter a pie-eating contest or Project Runway had a unicycle race I'd be a lot more interested in both those shows...
    "a good leader can make an okay group great..."
    What I find funny is how some people missed Graham say in the first episode that the show was not about drawing comics, that they were looking for the artist that was the total package. Can handle fans, cons, the work enviroment, merch sales, network, publicity...ect. Seems that if you want comics you could... you know go to their comics page and read them.
    How exactly are gokart racing, ping pong, tour factoid memorization, and kindergarten clay sculpting time part of the "complete web cartoonist package"?
  • GoslingGosling Team Monica Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    How exactly are gokart racing, ping pong, tour factoid memorization, and kindergarten clay sculpting time part of the "complete web cartoonist package"?

Because they will be living in Seattle and working out of the Penny Arcade offices. As a result, it helps greatly if you are someone that is comfortable with Seattle and can handle Penny Arcade's internal culture. And Penny Arcade employees play a lot of games and are very competitive. As for the clay... it's still art, it's still a challenge where you're creating something as an artist. It's just a different medium. Monica's free to sell hot dog T-shirts if she wants.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
    edited May 2013

No, he didn't say the "complete web cartoonist package", he just said the complete package. As in, they're looking for a person who can fit in well and prosper in PA-land.

Next episode is based on who does the best job of painting Jerry's toenails.
    Bucho on

This has been said enough times already, but... those are the social challenges. The fun stuff. The things that have led to zero eliminations. No one's fate should turn on them, and so far no one's has. In theory that could change with the next one, depending on exactly what Katie's prize is, but even then ping pong is the one social challenge so far that has actually involved something important to the PA team. Khoo says that anyone spending a year in their building is going to have to get used to the game, so if this plays an indirect role in their fates, that's still fitting.
  • MekkaBMekkaB Registered User regular
    eagl wrote: »
    It's 2am Friday and there is still no new episode.

2 am? You sound... Left Coast-ian.

;)
  • wahaywahay Your Handicapped Hero Cincinnati, USARegistered User regular
    Fellow left-coastian here, too. Since waiting for today's episode I cleaned the kitchen, tried to catch a mouse, watched a Jenova Chen lecture, and did some concept art. That's how long I've been waiting and it still isn't up.

You're killin' me, Smalls. :C
    "Sorry ladies, I give my everything to Sallie Mae."
    My Artist Corner Thread
  • eagleagl Registered User regular
    MekkaB wrote: »
    eagl wrote: »
    It's 2am Friday and there is still no new episode.

2 am? You sound... Left Coast-ian.

;)

If Nevada counts as left coast, then yea I guess. It's where the job is *shrug*
  • stoolpigeonstoolpigeon Registered User new member
    If it makes any of you feel better - it is noon here in Hungary. Really would like to watch the show at work rather than take time out of my evening at home.
  • TheKeckTheKeck Registered User new member
    I guess we were just spoiled by a few weeks of prompt postings as this is becoming a recurring theme. I can't complain too much about this free entertainment being provided to me.

It was nice, though, when I could count on strip search to sustain me during two mid-night newborn twin feedings a week. :p
    TheKeck wrote: »
    I guess we were just spoiled by a few weeks of prompt postings as this is becoming a recurring theme. I can't complain too much about this free entertainment being provided to me.

word up to that. I can wait for someone to come into the office and hit the <post that new video> button.

/I'm sure their offices had that installed.
  • MKF36EMKF36E Untitled EarthRegistered User regular
    Almost 5 AM here, and my mind turns to horror movie scenarios where the production crew is fighting for their lives while trapped inside a burning building on a sinking ship filled with zombies—which is, let's face it, a much more awesome thing to deal with than hitting "upload" to the servers.
    oh wait... what if it's not even ready, yet? As if, they were still editing up to last night and had to push it to Final Cut for an overnight processing?

That's also a super-acceptable and completely understandable excuse.

/On the other hand... Zombies. Also a great excuse.
  • Spman2099Spman2099 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The Penny Arcade Gods have abandoned us; there can be no other excuse.

Spman2099 on
  • djlowballerdjlowballer Registered User regular
    1814 on Friday and still no show :(
  • GPrime85GPrime85 New JerseyRegistered User regular
    [Re-watches episode while caressing ping pong paddle.] Soon, my friend, soon...
  • SovietCrashSovietCrash Registered User regular
    They are valiantly fighting off the zombie alien apocalypse and all you people care about is the show? (I can't think of any other good reasons why it wouldn't be up yet..)
    edited May 2013
    There's only 22 minutes left of Friday here. Shit's getting tight.

Edit: OH GOD THERE IT IS!!!
    Bucho on
    Bucho wrote: »
    No, he didn't say the "complete web cartoonist package", he just said the complete package. As in, they're looking for a person who can fit in well and prosper in PA-land.

Next episode is based on who does the best job of painting Jerry's toenails.

So Penny Arcade hires people based on how well they fit into the social group? That's how you decide who your friends are, not who should work for you. My boss loves Galactus and Bioshock, but my interview for my current job involved no Galactus cosplay or FPS tournaments.

My main complaint, though, is that I'm just bored by all this crap. During the sketching for tips challenge, I was momentarily excited because I thought we'd get to see these people draw under pressure, but no, they just focused on the slack-jawed fake convention trolling and barely gave us a glance at what the cartoonists were creating.
    So Penny Arcade hires people based on how well they fit into the social group? That's how you decide who your friends are, not who should work for you.

In Penny Arcade's case, it's both. They've said straight-up, they're essentially hiring someone to be their friend. By the point that things get to in-person interviews, everyone remaining has displayed an acceptable level of basic competence, so social cohesion comes more into play. Several times the job is basically already spoken for by someone they've already worked with and hung out with. A PAX volunteer, maybe. Khoo put a job posting in the Artist's Corner and that was Lexxy's first attempt.
    I'm trying, through my blog, to break into the journalism industry. Any eyes and ears that pick up on any leads towards that end are greatly appreciated. PM me if you happen to hear anything.
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    So Penny Arcade hires people based on how well they fit into the social group? That's how you decide who your friends are, not who should work for you. My boss loves Galactus and Bioshock, but my interview for my current job involved no Galactus cosplay or FPS tournaments.

Watch the New Hire and Child's Play Hire episodes of PA: The Series. Yes, they hire people based on how they fit into their office culture.

Companies like Netflix and Hubspot also take employee culture very seriously, although they probably don't play Soul Calibur and D&D with their interviewees, but that's just one of the things that makes Penny Arcade so unique.
    Stasis wrote: »
    Watch the New Hire and Child's Play Hire episodes of PA: The Series. Yes, they hire people based on how they fit into their office culture.

I haven't seen those shows and honestly they don't really sound very much to my taste. I guess I was under the mistaken impression that Strip Search was about cartooning and not just another "compete to be Gabe & Tycho's friends" series. I'm honestly not trying to just hate on the series, I really like the people they've gathered. I just want to see them exercise the unique skills that got them where they are.
    In Penny Arcade's case, it's both. They've said straight-up, they're essentially hiring someone to be their friend.

When did they say that on this show?
    By the point that things get to in-person interviews, everyone remaining has displayed an acceptable level of basic competence, so social cohesion comes more into play.

Maybe they know these people have a basic level of competence, but the viewers don't. We have to be shown. And as of this episode we still haven't seen Monica complete a comic strip. (I know she can be funny because I've read her stuff online, but I haven't had the opportunity to see her create on camera.)
    edited May 2013
    In Penny Arcade's case, it's both. They've said straight-up, they're essentially hiring someone to be their friend.

When did they say that on this show?

Not here. PA: The Series. I want to say (not 100% positive but I want to say) it's the episode 'Enforcers'. Could also be 'Kurtz' or 'First Hire', though. I'm not certain, but I know it's in the series somewhere.
    Gosling on