Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.

WHAT THE [CHAT]

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck FAK U HODGEHEG Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    i don't have any secrets, i think? i'm a pretty open sharer, and the stuff i'm not so open about i still typically share with a few close friends. i'm not sure there are any things about my life that no one else knows.

word on the street is you like bone marrow black garlic quesadillas
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    okay i'm going to come clean

i don't actually fuck pillows

this is getting too real

I don't like it
  • HamurabiHamurabi Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    i got kicked from a guild one time because the rogue class leader was mad that my damage meters were higher than his

apparently his damage rates were specifically calculated to not draw aggro

in a dps fight when our healers would run out of mana and we would wipe it was never his fault, of course.

Well, were you pulling aggro / running close to pulling?

Hah, it's funny looking back on an incarnation of WoW where aggro was a mechanic you had to pay attention to apart from the first 2-3 seconds of picking something up.

never pulled aggro

i dont remember the fight but there was one in MC where you basically let the tank go solo for like, 90 seconds, then beyond that it was locked on and you just went balls to the wall

i used to get yelled at after that fight. i would be 20% ahead of the class leader, without pulling aggro, and i'd get yelled at.

guilds, man. guilds.
    this is why the best raids are ones that only require ~4 people

TKOK & DFO best games

Well, to play devil's advocate for a second... if you were running close to tank threat (as evidenced by Omen and the addon before Omen that I don't remember right now) and potentially a string of crits could've brought you within range of or resulted in an aggro pull...

Then that's a problem. I don't recall anything in MC where the tank couldn't just pull back off of you, though I think maybe Golemagg (?) was taunt-immune.
    network_sig2.png
  • EddyEddy i ain't afraid of no ghosts Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Eddy wrote: »
    Hamurabi I just wrote a big ole paper about Egyptian labor unions

And I got sidetracked into reading about SCAF which made me mad

down with authority

Really? How organized even are they? Based on zero specific research, I feel like they'd have had their day during the 50s and 60s and been mostly dismantled/made powerless during the Infitah.

sorry for the hurried writing, super tired right now

The weird thing is, the more I researched the more everything indicated they actually retained the capability to fulfill the second definition of corporatism (collaborational interest articulation and implementation), and for a while they had a pretty legit handle on the first definition (monopoly and centralized singular structure [ETUF]). Apparently Nasser and Sadat threw them a bunch of procedural/legislative bones to try and maintain their political support - Sadat specifically agreed that union leadership be involved in labor- and economy-related policy-making/legislation and allowed them to achieve financial autonomy from the state, which of course comes back to bite the shit out of his ass during the Infitah - parts of which were so delayed, abortive, or politically costly partially because every piece of legislation was modified by the unions to protect public-sector jobs, slow down the sell-offs of loss-making firms, cut subsidies by as little as possible, etc. So there's meaningful labor resistance to ridiculously harsh neoliberal structural reforms up to '81

It's only in the mid-to-late 80s after Mubarak comes into power (and develops an excellent strike-breaking and union-harassing task force out of the police security forces...) that the central trade union federation is finally under the absolute control of the state (as in, every union federation representative in state-labor deliberations is handpicked by the state). Even then, informal and independent associations arise that still coordinate wildcat strikes and sabotage to the point where worker militancy in 2006 was the highest it's been since post-1952 uncertainty

It's only in 2004 when Prime Minister Nazif takes office that hardcore 'lol fuck workers let's get foreign money' policies get implemented (to socially devastating effect) - anyway, when the tanks turned toward the presidential palace on that day in february 2011, there were tens of thousands of workers striking in solidarity

there's hope yet
    Eddy on
  • evilbobevilbob Registered User regular
    I had a dream once that I met Thanatos and he thought I was a cop and stabbed me to death with a plastic fork.
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r2ZZyJB0ho

i think this is my favorite love/sex/thinking about girls song

Aww, I got really excited that you had chosen "Distopian Dream Girl" and thus won the key to my heart.

"Reasons" is a good song too, though. I guess.

**single tear**
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I don't even remember my secrets.

Secrets are safer that way.
    xlh6c3.png
  • simonwolfsimonwolf Registered User regular
    I am listening to a podcast about Gnosticism

Now I want to read a book on the topic

someone recommend me the finest text on Gnostics so I can continue to distract myself from the stuff I should actually be reading
    turtlesig.jpg
    Hamurabi I just wrote a big ole paper about Egyptian labor unions

And I got sidetracked into reading about SCAF which made me mad

down with authority

Really? How organized even are they? Based on zero specific research, I feel like they'd have had their day during the 50s and 60s and been mostly dismantled/made powerless during the Infitah.

The weird thing is, the more I researched the more everything indicated they actually retained the capability to fulfill the second definition of corporatism (collaborational interest articulation and implementation), and for a while they had a pretty legit handle on the first definition (monopoly and centralized singular structure [ETUF]). Apparently Nasser and Sadat threw them a bunch of procedural/legislative bones to try and maintain their political support - Sadat specifically agreed that union leadership be involved in labor- and economy-related policy-making/legislation and allowed them to achieve financial autonomy from the state, which of course comes back to bite the shit out of his ass during the Infitah - parts of which were so delayed, abortive, or politically costly partially because every piece of legislation was modified by the unions to protect public-sector jobs, slow down the sell-offs of loss-making firms, cut subsidies by as little as possible, etc. So there's meaningful labor resistance to ridiculously harsh neoliberal structural reforms up to '81

It's only in the mid-to-late 80s after Mubarak comes into power (and develops an excellent strike-breaking and union-harassing task force out of the police security forces...) that the central trade union federation is finally under the absolute control of the state. Even then, informal and independent associations arise that still coordinate wildcat strikes and sabotage to the point where worker militancy in 2006 was the highest it's been since post-1952 uncertainty

It's only in 2004 when Prime Minister Nazif takes office that hardcore 'lol fuck workers let's get foreign money' policies get implemented (to socially devastating effect) - anyway, when the tanks turned toward the presidential palace on that day in february 2011, there were tens of thousands of workers striking in solidarity

there's hope yet

Huh, that's really interesting.

Interesting enough that I think you should cross-post it in the [Middle East] thread for posterity.
    network_sig2.png
  • P10P10 Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    i got kicked from a guild one time because the rogue class leader was mad that my damage meters were higher than his

in a dps fight when our healers would run out of mana and we would wipe it was never his fault, of course.

Hah, it's funny looking back on an incarnation of WoW where aggro was a mechanic you had to pay attention to apart from the first 2-3 seconds of picking something up.

never pulled aggro

i dont remember the fight but there was one in MC where you basically let the tank go solo for like, 90 seconds, then beyond that it was locked on and you just went balls to the wall

i used to get yelled at after that fight. i would be 20% ahead of the class leader, without pulling aggro, and i'd get yelled at.

guilds, man. guilds.

TKOK & DFO best games

Well, to play devil's advocate for a second... if you were running close to tank threat (as evidenced by Omen and the addon before Omen that I don't remember right now) and potentially a string of crits could've brought you within range of or resulted in an aggro pull...

Then that's a problem. I don't recall anything in MC where the tank couldn't just pull back off of you, though I think maybe Golemagg (?) was taunt-immune.
    fewer people => less drama, fewer morons.
    unfortunately all of my friends who i played games with fell off the planet /hate games / died to canadian grad school/never needed me
    P10 on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Raiding Relics Everyday Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

someone recommend me the finest text on Gnostics so I can continue to distract myself from the stuff I should actually be reading

I know one thing about Gnosticism and that's the fact that it has the best afterlife.

IIRC, when you die, you become the god of your own tiny universe where you can build whatever you feel like and visit other people's worlds...
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    i don't have any secrets, i think? i'm a pretty open sharer, and the stuff i'm not so open about i still typically share with a few close friends. i'm not sure there are any things about my life that no one else knows.

i've never even had one

but yeah when desc used to talk about that i was just, my god

the birth of my yuppie aspirations
  • y2jake215y2jake215 oh ok yeah that's cool RAP GAME KiNG TUTRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r2ZZyJB0ho

i think this is my favorite love/sex/thinking about girls song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFYTuedRqLo
    G2Dcf.jpg
    grad school is for gays and gay sympathizers >:[

i can definitively confirm this

as a fay pansexual alcoholic non-human,
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular
    I never reveal my secrets, because such a thing is impossible as by the time they're public they are no longer secrets.
  • descdesc the '87 stick-up kids Registered User regular

gnosticism is cool

let's all study it
    edited May 2013
    AS A GAMEOSEXUAL...

I have sex with the monopoly man daily.

Edit: I am sad that SKFM is no longer allowed here.
    21stCentury on
    my spellchecker thinks pansexual is a misspelling

fuck this heteronormative earth
  • ShivahnShivahn Registered User regular

It is fey or fae you jackass!
    if a thinking about girls is to be ranked by how much it makes me think of girls, this song counts as the top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFQx6J-i_rI

sometimes I worry that I might become a hipster if I'm not careful
    xlh6c3.png

i've never even had one

it seriously is really good from Taco Maria's

but I have only ever had them for lunch so I can never have a cold, crispy beer with one

better to have loved and lost? I think not.

I know one thing about Gnosticism and that's the fact that it has the best afterlife.

IIRC, when you die, you become the god of your own tiny universe where you can build whatever you feel like and visit other people's worlds...

I'm torn between that and valhalla

cool and interesting concept, versus simplicity
    xlh6c3.png
  • Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 Registered User regular

never pulled aggro

guilds, man. guilds.

TKOK & DFO best games

unfortunately all of my friends who i played games with fell off the planet /hate games / died to canadian grad school/never needed me

I like that the 3.0+ shift to all content having a 10-man version simultaneously meant that: a) you could take your same group of tight-knit buddies through the entire content progression of a given expansion; but also b) that it could (and did) start drama about A and B raids due to alts and second-stringers.
    network_sig2.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    BWL was the early threat sensitive raid. MC didn't really have fights where overaggro would kill anyone but the guilty party, nor did it have much in the way of dps checks.
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Shivahn wrote: »
    I never reveal my secrets, because such a thing is impossible as by the time they're public they are no longer secrets.

that's like saying you never take off your clothes because by the time you're naked they're already off!
    xlh6c3.png
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Uh, why?

First off, you could make your own Valhalla, second, you could visit other people who made valhallas, third, you can have MORE than just Valhalla. You'll have an entire universe as your plaything...
  • P10P10 Registered User regular

never pulled aggro

guilds, man. guilds.

TKOK & DFO best games

I like that the 3.0+ shift to all content having a 10-man version simultaneously meant that: a) you could take your same group of tight-knit buddies through the entire content progression of a given expansion; but also b) that it could (and did) start drama about A and B raids due to alts and second-stringers.
    people need to be less sensitive about sucking shit and being worthless
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

Being God can also be simple, if you build the universe correctly. Right God?
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
  • OrganichuOrganichu Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »

i've never even had one

but I have only ever had them for lunch so I can never have a cold, crispy beer with one

beer's gross
  • SarksusSarksus TEN FUCKING DOLLARS Registered User regular
    That cat is paralyzed and those people are making fun of it!
    http://notalwaysright.com/those-who-dont-read-cant-read-the-signs/29237

omg

shit that never happened

blatant lies

this is outrageous

Lies? On my internet?

Why, i never!

Uh, why?

First off, you could make your own Valhalla, second, you could visit other people who made valhallas, third, you can have MORE than just Valhalla. You'll have an entire universe as your plaything...

the first thing is a bit like the ultimate sandbox game with all the cheat codes turned on

eventually infinite possibility might become boring!

whereas drinking and fighting and fucking never would.
    xlh6c3.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary Your Dark Descent FriendRegistered User regular

I dunno, you've told me some stuff I would never reveal to chat because I am not that kind of person.
    2ItqRJ7.jpgSteam/Origin/PSN: Corehealer / Core's Streamtastical Livestream (Streaming Wildstar Beta later this year).
    desc wrote: »

i've never even had one

beer's gross

*picks up a flawless antique Tiffany lamp and smashes it against a wall*

It is fey or fae you jackass!

I usually write fey but for some reason in the american dad script it's specifically 'fay' which i'm assuming is one version of fae
  • TavTav Registered User regular
    why are you guys talking about 8 year old wow raids? o.O
This discussion has been closed.